Start by marking “Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)” as Want to Read:
Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)

Zinnia (St. Helens #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,649 ratings  ·  55 reviews
New York Times bestselling author JAYNE CASTLE--Capturing the lively sensuality (Library Journal) of the passion-filled, near-future space colony of St. Helens, the wildly popular alter ego of bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz delivers delectably entertaining paranormal romantic suspense (Booklist)!

Ever since a false tabloid story ruined her reputation and her interior
Published October 12th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Zinnia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zinnia

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillGood Omens by Terry PratchettInsufficient Mating Material by Rowena CherryThe Invasion of Falgannon Isle by Deborah MacGillivray
Humor is the Best Medicine
46th out of 463 books — 381 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
417th out of 1,277 books — 1,675 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
The second in the St. Helens series, this is another in JAK's futuristic romance genre, a genre I feel is peculiarly her own, although I own a few books by other authors that I consider to be in this genre as well. No one does it better than Krentz, however. Fun, funny, and fast-paced - the three f's of good reading and a sure thing with any Krentz book. No matter how many times I read this book, I can't find anything I'd want to change. I only wish there were more St. Helen's books. On to the t ...more
Mojca
Another great book set on the faraway lost/forgotten planet of St. Helens. Great pacing, exciting plot, great chemistry, wonderful mystery, full of attraction, suspense, with wonderful characterization and a not so "amandaquickish" heroine. ;)

Loved it.
Sherry
Sep 28, 2008 Sherry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: paranormal/sci-fi/romance/chic-lit
“Zinnia”, the second title in the Curtain trilogy by Jayne Castle, is just as delightful and entertaining as the first title. Nick Chastain is a casino owner who has lived with the social label of bastard and an off the charts psychic ability is convinced that his self disciplined control over his power and his easy ability of making money is all he needs, that and the one most important challenge of his life, to solve the mystery of his fathers death.
Zinnia Springs is an independent woman si
Sarra
Nov 21, 2008 Sarra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarra by: Janine
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2008
Second in a trilogy.

I found this review of the book on some book site:

In a far-off world where lifelong marriages are arranged by coupling agencies, Nick Chastain and Zinnia Spring are deemed incompatible. But with the help of their undying love, the couple fights against the laws of society to be together.

and found it to be somewhat misleading.

Zinnia and Nick aren't deemed incompatible towards each other, merely unmatchable by the agency. They come upon each other on their own, she a high leve
Lidia
A book with a bad boy protagonist is always a guarantee for an interesting story, exciting and passionate. If then the female protagonist is a woman like Zinnia, intelligent, stubborn and determined, then it is certain, the book is beautiful. Set in another dimension with people who have psychic powers and with the addition of a mystery to uncover or to unmask a murderer, then the fun is guaranteed. Evocative and extraordinary description of the maze.
Kitty
A total surprise. Someone loaned it to me, and I held onto it for a long time before giving it a try - just didn't look like my cup of tea, from the cover. (Yeah, I know... you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, LOL.) Takes place on another planet, inhabited by Earthlings stranded many generations ago. Most have developed physic powers. Some very different stuff, but the characters make the story - I loved the people!
Cindy
Second in the St. Helens series but it can also be read as a stand alone book. Zinnia has fallen from the top level of society after her parents' death, the bankruptcy of the family firm and being framed by some of her peers to hide a sex scandal. Nick was born a bastard in a culture that values famly above all else and owns a casino. They meet in odd circumstances and start bonding over a bookseller's murdered corpse. Together they work to discover the secrets of his father's last expedition, c ...more
Patrice
For me, this book was great. It has romance, mystery, humor, and sci-fi all wrapped up in one story. I really got into the main characters, Zinnia Spring and Nick Chastain. The story takes place on another planet in a place called St Helens. People from Earth were sent there to colonize it. On this new planet they discovered that some things brought from Earth would not last on the new planet. The pioneers also found that on this new planet, human’s psychic abilities were brought to the forefron ...more
Jane Stewart
This was an ok story, but nothing really grabbed me.

The characters, the plot, and the mystery had no problems that I could define, but I just wasn’t interested enough. I wasn't emotionally drawn in, and I didn't feel anything memorable at the end.

This is book 2 in the St. Helen's Trilogy. It is a mystery set in the future, on another planet called St. Helens. A Curtain created a gate between earth and St. Helens which allowed humans to travel. The Curtain later closed, and all humans there were
Emily
In her second novel of St. Helens, Castle introduces us to Zinnia Spring, a full-spectrum prism who is comfortable working only with the paranoid, obsessive, secretive and exceedingly rare matrix talent. Nick Chastain, a wealthy casino owner who has a five year plan to buy respectability is just such a talent. When both are caught up in the search for Nick's father's journal, they find in each other a perfect match.
I continue to enjoy the tales of St. Helens, although there is one thing I have t
Matthew
It really was a fun book to read. Although it had some glaring problems.

The plot and romance was essentially the same weak writing as in the other book by this author I read, Shield's Lady. That is, the essential twists were the same and the romance had the same sudden, intense quality linked to some magical link that wasn't really adequately explained, justified or shown. The author doesn't really seem to grasp the art of showing rather than telling. In fact, compared to the other book, this ha
BJ Rose
You can’t fight Mother Nature. Psychic talents need the help of a human prism to help them focus and use their power to the fullest extent – just following the laws of synergy. But Nick has learned that most prisms don’t like to work with matrix-talents, and that’s what he is. But when he sends out a psychic probe, he gets a response from a strong prism in his casino – Zinnia has been wandering the casino, trying to figure out a way to get into Nick Chastain’s office because she’s convinced he h ...more
Donna
There is something about the way Castle writes - I very much enjoy the stories but it's always a question as to whether I'll engage with the characters. Sometimes I do and often I don't. Fortunately, I really liked Zinnia and Nick, individually and as a couple. I had the same feeling of engagement with the characters in the previous book, "Amaryllis", but I think I enjoyed this book just a little more. I liked the futuristic world of St. Helen's, the variety of psychic abilities, the overall plo ...more
Caitlin
This book was rather hard for me to get through. The writing style was painfully repetitive. I lost count of how often Castle used the phrases "off the charts talent", "poor Morris", and "typical matrix." The repetition made the world of St. Helens less satisfying and made me question the intelligence of the main characters. As for the romance element, there was no real sizzle and the progression did not feel believable. I won't be reading more from this series any time soon.
Dawn (Kat N Hat)
I enjoyed the book, the characters and the story line. I thought going into it that this was a paranormal romance, but I am not sure I would classify it as paranormal fantasy yes, not quite paranormal.

The one point of the book that fails is the futuristic plot.
The story is set in a supposed future of the human race, but they have not evolved past our present. The fail of their earth technology is supposed to explain this but it fails a bit. I was raised with star wars and star trek. I find it
Judy Goodnight
Book #2 in the St. Helens series

Nick Chastain is a bastard/casino-owning bad boy who has a matrix talent that allows him to make money, lots of it. Enough money, in fact, to buy the one thing he wants above all else - respectability. The one thing he needs, though, is the journal his father kept that will prove that his father was murdered for an important discovery he made and not that he went insane & committed suicide.

Zinnia Spring is the notorious "Scarlet Lady" - an interior designer wh
Barbara
This is a paranormal/futuristic bit the JAK wrote back in 1997. I read it when it first came out, of course.
I just finished re-reading it (Pocket has re-released it with a new hunky guy cover) and I have to say that it holds up very, very well. I actually like this set of three books better than her more recent series (After Dark, After Glow, Obsidian Prey, etc) that is set on a different world (Harmony) in the same future.
Typical witty, smart characters: Guy is a bit alpha, but not obnoxiously
Mary
Another good read. See Amaryllis...
Nicola Pike
I love the male characters in this series, they are strong and powerful and always say dumb stuff when trying to woo their ladies. the women sometimes irritate me as they are such do gooders. in this case Zinnia gets drawn into solving a murder for a client she work with. a little hard to believe she would risk her life just for some random person she knew but other than that I really like the dynamics between the characters.

first reading July 2012
Lori
The St. Helen's series, like the Harmony series, always features strong male and female protagonists. This series focuses on women who have been wronged and who also happen to be strong psychics, while the men often come from difficult or troubling backgrounds. While each is similar in flavor, they individually satisfy given the variety Castle adds to each.
Midu Hadi
I like the way she writes. The books aren't too lengthy and everything is wrapped up nicely at the end. This is a good series when you want to read something light and romantic. Another thing I like is that the female leads can hold their own- they aren't pushovers. Thirdly, the world of St. Helens is like a mini version of the Psy world.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2009 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance
I read this book many years ago, and, now that I finally tracked down the first in the trilogy, I decided to give it another go. I love Zinnia just as much now as I did reading it the first time! I find Krentz/Castle's world of psychic powers on St. Helen's to be absolutely fastinating. The intrigue is definitely a plus, as well.
Beverly
Love all the paranormal book she writes!
Lili
Overall it was a pretty good book, it started a bit slow for me with too much bla-bla-blah! but then we got to know Nick and Zinnia.
I liked their interaction and I never really knew who the bad guy was... I especially liked the little twist in the story at the end, never saw that one coming!
~Sara~
The second book in the St Helen's trilogy is very similar to the first. It was like Castle just changed the locations and names, but I liked the first one so I didn't really mind. If the same thing happens in the 3rd I'm going to LMAO - but it doesn't mean I'll enjoy it less.
Diane ~Firefly~
This trilogy is one of my favorites.

What I enjoyed:
* The characters. Zinnia is strong and stubborn. Nick always has a plan. They made a great couple.
* The mystery of the 3rd Chastain Expedition.
* The world of St. Helens.
* (view spoiler)
Amy Denim
I always seem to read the last book in a series first, but I'll definitely go back and read the others in this series. I liked both the hero and the heroine, the world the author created and the mystery in the story kept it all flowing. It was a fun read.
Vanessa
Another great book from Jayne Castle/AKA Krentz. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the characters, and the ending. There are some distinct similarities to the 1st book, but these are the ones I like and enhance the continuity of the trilogy.
Tory
I enjoyed the relationships between Nick and Zinnia. I particulary liked Nick and his reactions when Zinnia did not do what he thought she should do. You can tell this book was written in the 90's with the whole inexplicable virgin aspect.
Wan
I gave it a solid 4 stars. This is the second book in the series. I enjoyed it. I really liked the characters in this book. The plot was okay. I was surprised at the twist in the end tho. I'll definitely read the next book, Orchid.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Zinnia (1997) 1 1 Sep 23, 2012 03:43PM
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...
After Dark (Harmony #1) Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) Canyons of Night (Harmony, #8)(Looking Glass Trilogy, #3) (The Arcane Society, #12) Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3) Silver Master (Harmony #4)