Start by marking “A.D. 1000: A World on the Brink of Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
A.D. 1000: A World on the Brink of Apocalypse

A.D. 1000: A World on the Brink of Apocalypse

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  10 reviews

It is the onej-thousandth year of Christianity. The end of the millennium is fast approaching, and with it the nightmare visions of Armageddon and the Apocalypse. Europe is wracked by war, famine, carnage,a nd pestilence. Madness plagues the continent.

Tracing the career of briliant visionary Pope Sylvester II, Richard Erdoes has composed a vivid tapestry of a century frigh

Published September 1st 1998 by Ulysses Press (first published November 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A.D. 1000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A.D. 1000

Brady Parkhurst
This book gave me a real sense of life in the middle ages. It made me realize that so much of what I thought I knew about the middle ages was really just interpretations, or guesses at the truth, that I had made after watching or reading fiction. Most of what I thought I knew was just myth. Here is a passage regarding the Truce of God laws (the laws that latter mythology called "chivalry"):

"Among deeds abhorrent and unlawful were listed: fighting on the sabbath and holy days, killing or maiming
Bob Mustin
The era this book presents has become a fascination for this reader, partly because of its similarity to the era we post-year 2000 people find ourselves in, and partly because of the drama its history has given us.

Erdoes fashions his story about one Gerbert, a French peasant priest who became the brightest intellect in Post-Roman Empire Europe and who later became Pope. Erdoes welcomes us to an age fraught with superstition, violence, poverty, famine, and social conflict – an age most people of
Kris
The title is rather misleading as the book is more a biography of Gerbert of Aurillac, who became Pope Sylvester II, and a general look at the tenth century with focus on the Ottonian Dynasty whom founded the Holy Roman Empire.

Sadly it is a bit dated in that the author perpetuates the myths of spices being desired for spoiled meat and the propensity of medieval folk to relieve themselves wherever the need came upon them. People in the Middle Ages did not eat spoiled food anymore than modern peop
Tony Daniel
Actually more about the life and times of Pope Silvester II, who brought Arabic numbers and algebra from Moorish Spain into Christendom, built his own astrolabes and accurate sundials, and who knew quite well that the Earth was round. He was also a great scholar of the ancient authors and generally one of the pioneers who helped the West climb from its Dark Age after the fall of the Roman Empire. An uneven read, more notes toward a book than a book. Erdoes, a Euro-transplant to New Mexico, was b ...more
George
I love reading about insane times like this period because it reminds me that society is highly susceptible to irrationalism on a large scale and that nothing should ever replace your own mental ability to think clearly, make your own decisions, and act wisely. Even if that means separating yourself from the group and appearing to be stupid for doing so.
Kristopher
Interesting book, but it gets too deep into international Medieval politics at times, zipping through kings and bishops and battles so quickly I had a lot of trouble remembering one from another. When Erdoes slows down and focuses on one subject, it's really interesting.
Walt
An interesting means of describing Europe in 1000 AD. The central story is a biography of Pope Sylvester II; but the focus is on the incidental detail of his world. Clever and easy to read.
Richard
A lot of interesting "fun facts" about the barbarity of the 10th Century, but the book was ultimately rather disjointed and disappointing.
Steve Horton
This book reminded me of James Reston Jr's "The Last Apocalypse", although it has enough original material to stand on its own merits.
Sara
Not as good as I was hoping.
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Lauren1012
Lauren1012 is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Abra Parkhurst
Abra Parkhurst marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Guilherme Gontijo
Guilherme Gontijo marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Ralphz
Ralphz marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ralph Z
Ralph Z marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
JM Ellis
JM Ellis is currently reading it
May 23, 2014
Lalena
Lalena marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Anne Pierce
Anne Pierce marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Jasmin Kocaer
Jasmin Kocaer marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Mich
Mich marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Becky
Becky added it
Jul 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) American Indian Trickster Tales Saloons of the Old West Legends and Tales of the American West (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) Crying for a Dream: The World Through Native American Eyes