Red Mojo Mama (Volume 1)

Red Mojo Mama (Volume 1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Lydia “Red” Talbot has lost her mojo after three years of mourning for her husband, but not for long. She’s inherited a valuable mobile home park in the Gold Country of California, filled with a cast of eccentric characters. Her plans to sell it and take a world cruise are threatened by a hot handyman, a sizzling story in the rapidly growing town of Nuggetville and the app...more
Published April 6th 2011 by KLH Press (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Mojo Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Mojo Mama

The Clearing by Thomas RydderEveryone Burns by John DolanStarshine by G.S. JennsenHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeThe Liquidator by Iain Parke
Great Indie Novels
102nd out of 1,086 books — 1,373 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books You Can't Pass Up
191st out of 674 books — 548 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott Bury
This is a strange review for me. I did not really enjoy reading Red Mojo Mam while I was engrossed in the middle of it, but after I finished it, the more I thought about it, the more I came to like it.

Kathy Lynn Hall has a gift for bringing characters to life. I could actually hear some of their voices as I read the dialogue (yes, my medications are up to date!), and I swear I've seen some of the residents of the trailer park before. Hall knows how to capture real people's dialogue without seemi...more
Rebecca
Delightful and Fun!

I just loved this delightful and fun novel. It was really very entertaining.

Lydia Talbot inherits her aunt's mobile home park, located in a little town in Nuggetville, California. The residents are friendly and colorful. After Lydia meets them all, she begins to think twice about selling the park. She becomes very interested in these people, the town politics and she even acquires an admirer, Joe.

I could just picture Lydia driving Lucy, her 1963 convertible VW bug--in her si...more
Rebecca
Delightful and Fun!

I just loved this delightful and fun novel. It was really very entertaining.

Lydia Talbot inherits her aunt’s mobile home park, located in a little town in Nuggetville, California. The residents are friendly and colorful. After Lydia meets them all, she begins to think twice about selling the park. She becomes very interested in these people, the town politics and she even acquires an admirer, Joe.

I could just picture Lydia driving Lucy, her 1963 convertible VW bug—in her sign...more
Ashley  McElyea
Originally posted on my blog.

First of all, I want to apologize to Kathy for waiting so damn long to read her book. Second of all, if you have not read her book don’t wait like I did.

First Impression: I knew from the beginning that I was in for something original and wonderful. I absolutely adore Kathy and I knew that she wrote her book with just a fraction of her passion that she lives her life with, then her book would be wonderful.

First 50 to 100 Pages: It did take me a little while to get to...more
Angela
All I can say at first after reading this book is…WOW!! This book had a little of everything to satisfy ANY reader in my opinion. It had action, romance, great plot, great and very likable characters, and content that made you really think about some things in your own life. When I finished this book I found myself just sitting and thinking about a wonderful quote used more than once in this book…“everything comes full circle…eventually”. I loved ALL the characters from The Springs trailer park...more
Gary Henry
It's Red herself who really makes Red Mojo Mama an entertaining read. Smart; courageous; impetuous; big-hearted, yet plagued with self-doubt; sentimental, yet hot-tempered; wanting to be loved, yet scared to make the jump -- Kathy has gifted Red with a full, fine range of emotions and conflicts. That makes Red Mojo Mama something special, imho.

Red Mojo Mama is a lively character-driven romance, fanciful and romantic in some ways, down to earth in others, with touches of risk and danger. Filled w...more
Elise Stokes
(Not suitable for readers under 18)

I adore Red! Imagine a deeper, more mature version of spunky Stephanie Plum and you have Lydia “Red” Talbot. Hall captures her fun, vivacious voice perfectly, developing her with care and warmth, along with her other wonderful characters who understand what it means to be neighborly. I found myself more than once thinking, “I could live at The Spring,” the mobile home park Red inherits from her aunt. It was a pleasure reading about individuals who show kindness...more
Joe Young
Lydia (AKA Red) loses her husband unexpectedly and with it her Mojo. This story is how she recovers from loss with the help of the ghost of her dead husband and the menagerie living at the Trailer Park she has recently inherited from he favorite aunt (the other redhead who she used as a life role model). I found the visual aspects of the characters especially involving. A good story with believable nuances in the life of Red, Mac, Joe and aunt Esther as well as the collection of loveable tenants...more
Gigi
The book was GREAT! Hooked me right at the start. Well developed characters and a story that included a little romance, mystery and travel. Definitely interested in following Red,the mournful heroine that is looking for her mojo. All of the characters are portrayed in a realistic manner, even recognized a few from my travels! Keep them coming Ms. Hall!!
Bethany Lopez
Great story filled with romance and intrigue. There was definite sadness in Red, but I think she found where she was meant to be and it ended on just the right note! I can't wait for the next one to come out, I always love a story about a strong woman.
Sandra  Valente
3.5 stars!

Lovely, lovely read! Gosh, Twitter (really the people who make it thrive) has been throwing book titles at me like it’s nobody’s business. I want to read everyone’s book, yet it’s just impossible. So the books that do catch my eye more than once, leave me no choice but to read them. Well most, not all. But this isn’t the place to get into that and I really don’t want to digress from this book.

Lydia Talbot or Red is a widow. Not only has she lost Mac but along with him – her mojo. Her...more
Arianne The Bookworm on the Loose
I definitely love Red Oooh.. I suddenly miss my red hair!

Lydia “Red” Talbot got spunk… she’s sassy, fierce, dedicated and intuitive. I have learned to love her mobile home as time progressed, especially after I got to meet Joe the Chef.

Red may have mourned three long years after her husband’s death, but boy, what a reprieve it was when Joe came along. Sure, Mac (the dead hubby) made his appearances (as a ghost), but Red soon moved on.

Having Joe on her side, she discovered what life has to offer...more
Cynthia Harrison
I'm just getting into it and its funny, sexy and smart. Will post more as I get into it...took a while for me to get back to this one. June has been a busy month. But here's the review from "Cindy's Indies" on my website www.cynthiaharrison.com:

It’s interesting that Kathy Lynn Hall name checks Janet Evanovich twice in her novel Red Mojo Mama because their voices have the same casual, cosy, comic vibe. Plotwise, there are big differences. Hall, as an indie writer, does not have to adhere to any k...more
Joyce Faulkner
Kathy Lynn Hall's inaugural novel is fun, fun, fun! Lydia "Red" Talbott is so full of life that she almost jumps off the page and invites the reader to the next Luau at her Trailer Park. You'd probably accept too because Joe and Bob and Evelyn and Millie and Donny and Jimmy and Judy seem like folks you've known all your life -- and who doesn't like a good pool party?

Then there's Mac who is Lydia's deceased husband. He pops up from time to time to warm her heart and offer support. Funny thing is...more
E.L. Lindley
I found Red Mojo Mama to be about as addictive as my favourite chocolate and it was a wrench every time I had to put it down. With her novel, Kathy Lynn Hall has created the perfect world with the perfective cast of characters. I found myself actually longing to be a member of the community at The Springs Mobile Home Park and, by the end, I felt bereft, as though being parted from old friends. The main character is Red a feisty redhead, who is just glorious as she shakes up the small town of Nug...more
Dannie Hill
Red Mojo Mama by Kathy Lynn Hall is one of the best books I’ve read in a while.

Red Mojo Mama is the kind of book you can sit down with and just enjoy a very good story.

Lydia (Red) is still suffering from the sudden death of her husband three years before and she needs a change in her life. She’s lost her mojo.

She gets it when her Aunt Esther dies and leaves her a trailer park just outside of Nuggetville California. Along with the park she also gets all the characters that live there. It’s just...more
Helen White
It would be a shame if anyone looked at this book and placed it in the same category chick lit / action adventure as Janet Evanovitch or Lauren Henderson. Yes it has similarities but there are some very important points of difference and stand out moments that make this book so much more than just another genre filler. If you pass it up because of preconceptions you will miss a treat!

Red is grieving for her husband. And here is the first point of difference, she is allowed to have negative emoti...more
Kelley
Whenever I lose my way in life, I sing, "There's still time to change the road you're on." (Led Zeppelin, you've gotten me through some tough times with that simple line.)

Like Led, Ms. Hall reminds us that life can start again at any age, at any time.

For Lydia Talbot aka Red, the latter happens when she least expects it. Already the widow of one of the few "good men," she is devastated by the loss of her Aunt Esther. As the beneficiary of Esther’s trailer park, she now has to pack up and take...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
This book was an absolute blast to read! RED MOJO MAMA is filled with great characters, intense (and realistic) emotion, a compelling mystery that's far too close to reality, and a few steamy bedroom scenes. Hard to put down!

I fell in love with the spunky Red (Lydia), who's grieving for her husband but plucks up the courage to move out west and consider life as the owner of the trailer park her Aunt has left her. Although she plans to sell the park, as the story unwinds Red finds herself growing...more
Melissa
Dec 06, 2011 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: k
Red is a fun loving lady who is widowed three years now, and with the death of her Aunt Esther and the inheiretence of the mobile home park she owned, she is able to make plans to travel the world. Except she finds once she gets to Nuggetville a mystery of corruption, vandleism and possibly murder that gets her unknown journalism juices flowing. She also finds love again with a chef, and friendships among the eccentric individuals that live in the park and in town.
Can she get her mojo back, get...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
I met Kathy Lynn Hall on twitter.

This book is a good mixture of mystery, romance, and paranormal events.

Lydia aka Red inherits a Mobile Home Park from a relative. That was the beginning of a new adventure that she didn't even know she wanted to have. Red being the sassy person she is, met the adventure head on... sometimes almost literally.

I really enjoyed the character, Lydia, because she was so sassy and adaptable. She had a lot thrown at her and she always seemed to make the best of it.
James Paddock
This was a plain and simple fun read with a little ghost action thrown in. But what I want to know is what happened to Lucy? She'd better be taking proper care of Red in book 2, Red is an Attitude. Looking forward to watching Red's next adventure, off to Mexico, and discovering how Joe, Mac and maybe Aunt Esther--just guessing--back from the dead, play in the the new mystery and why does it follow them all the way back to Nuggetville? There is certainly more to learn about Red Mojo Mama.
Lisa  Marie
I would give this 4 stars but the Kindle version at least was irritating in its grammar and the worst part was at 83% or so the narrator is changed from first person to third and then goes back and forth until the end. If that had happened sooner, I would have not continued but I did like the story (and the characters) a lot and of course wanted to see how it ended. Granted, it was free so perhaps that's why but still hard to overlook/ignore.
Landon Cocks
Smart, sexy and hilarious with just enough tearjerking thrown in for balance. Kathy Lynn Hall has created a memorable character that I, for one, hope to see again. Lydia "Red" Talbot is starting a new life in a new town after the death of her husband, who talks to her from the grave. All she wants to do is relax and maybe go on a cruise, but ends up battling corrupt politicians, helping the helpless and finding love. Fun read, even for dudes!
J.ferbill
I really enjoyed this book so much I read it too fast. I am a firey red head who lives in Calaveras Co. I lived in and near Sacramento my entire life. Happily I left to live in a small town in a beautiful forest and small comunity. I related some to 'Red' and loved o the familiarity of my own home. I was compelled and intruded by warm characters and mystery! Great job, cant wait to read more by Kathy!
Vered
When Red decides to start over and move into a trailer park, she has no idea what’s in store, including the ghost of her dead husband and a handsome handyman named Joe. She might have thought her mojo was a no go, but that’s all about to change in this humorous and sweet romance. This was a fun read with enough romance to spice it up without overwhelming it, and Red is a likeable character.
Cassaundra Aunna
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads. Let me start off by saying that I thought this would just be another cheesy romance, however, it was a romance/thriller, and Kathy Lynn Hall mastered her work. The story pulled me in (although it took a while to get there), and I really ended up enjoying it. Everyone will fall in love with Red.
Linda Runnebaum
I thought this book was very good and very entertaining. Kathy Hall has a great relationship with her audience and you feel like you are right there in the story along side her. I truly enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to start on her next one.
J. Kendrick Allen
A well crafted, tastefully done romance with a strong heroine whose goals, achievements, and conflicts in the novel extended beyond "get a man". Highly recommended reading.
Phyllis Duncan
A decent read with some flaws in plot, characterization, and grammar. Using "loose" when it should be "lose" multiple times is careless or a lack of proofreading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I'm an Indie author and very proud of it. I've published six books , RED MOJO MAMA and the sequel RED IS AN ATTITUDE, TELL THEM YOU'RE FABULOUS, HER HEART, THE GREAT TWITTER ADVENTURE and a handbook called BLOG & TWEET.

My background is extremely diverse, with jobs from cab driving to executive, journalist to office manager. I've tried many fields of writing and finally found my niche in ficti...more
More about Kathy Lynn Hall...
Blog & Tweet - How to Make a Splash Online The Great Twitter Adventure: How 5 Tweeps Saved the World Red is an Attitude Tell Them You're Fabulous Her Heart