Start by marking “The Milkshake Moment: Overcoming Stupid Systems, Pointless Policies and Muddled Management to Realize Real Growth” as Want to Read:

Growth is the central focus of every business, yet many businesses continually find ways to shoot themselves in the foot. In Milkshake Moment, Steven Little shows you how to identify and overcome the stifling behaviors built into your organization and get you back on track to substantive change and real growth. Read Milkshake Moment and find out how to ditch the pointless ...more
Published December 17th 2010 by Wiley (first published April 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Milkshake Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Milkshake Moment

Jane
Feb 21, 2010 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: jane_hamilton@comcast.net
Decent, common-sense customer service book. Some of the most memorable quotes:

"A growth leader should be able to articulate a clear and concise statement of the organizations true aspirations. It must be understood by all those who share an interest, from employees, to customers and from vendors to shareholders." (P. 70)

"Insourcing crucial judgement does not mean entertaining everyone's pet peeve." (P. 114)

"For a policy system to truly work, it must be consistently reviewed and reinforced, be re
Emily
Apr 27, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 2 chapters lay out an intriguing question: how can we overcome problems in our organizations that we don't even see because we have become accustomed to them and don't realize that they are problems? But the book does not really do much to answer that question. There are plenty of illustrations from business and history, but the application is hard to put your finger on.

I was also put off by the subtitle - unnecessarily negative - and the tone of much of the book, which was unhelpfull
Brian
Aug 10, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is very simple, but important. You are an organization with a customer who wants a milkshake. You have milk, ice cream, and a blender. Simple solution right? However, you also have policies, procedures, and systems preventing these items from coming together to satisfy the needs of the customer. Very interesting quick read. Very helpful in thinking about how to reexamine some of the roadblocks built into our daily work that prevent us from delivering what is required to ...more
Anne
Apr 29, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My entrepeneur brother encouraged me to read this book. Steven Little takes some very basic customer service tools and turns them around by using helpful vignettes to encourage better business dealings for his readers. I was certainly inspired to adjust my own expectations of customer service, and learned that there is a great deal you can do to achieve success by understanding the mind set of the person with whom you are dealing. Works with small children as well.
Sean Goh
An ok book, which shows how smart people are often hamstrung by stupid systems.

For effectiveness, there must be a clear purpose communicated, and people must have the autonomy to decide how they go about achieving that purpose.

We need outsiders who don't know the rules enough to know they are breaking them.

The customer isn't always right, but they're always human.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.
Wes
Jul 01, 2008 Wes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The message presents an easy read and a solid basis to challenge the status quo. Pg 2 of the book asks a simple question that sets the stage for the entire message. (Won't share what it is. Read it for yourself.) Leaders are paid to get results through creativity, not following all the rules. Managers follow the rules. Great advice, well written, easy read.
Michael Costigan
Little's book is a quick, fun read. Although Little disclaims this being a book about managing services, as an IT Service Manager, I found his book chock full of timeless lessons for anyone who manages services.
Carmen
Apr 25, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read, and gave me things to think of with my position at work. A couple of things I was going to do, no longer seem appropriate. Love it.
Nick Woodall
Good concepts. Could have gone deeper. I wanted more of this book, but there was not enough to go around.
Hillary
Aug 02, 2014 Hillary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Short for a book, but that makes it a quick read. Good examples that are right on point and told with a minimum of fuss.
Ram
Mar 07, 2010 Ram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
Really good book about Management policies. A must have for all those organisations that wants to create a good work environment. And a good page-turner with interesting facts
Peyton
Aug 12, 2011 Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Little's philosophy is concise, clear, and common sense. I can't wait to make milkshakes for my customers.
Stephen J Laurito
Stephen J Laurito rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Steve Fernie
Steve Fernie rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Kit
Kit rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2008
Elton
Elton rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Matt Koontz
Matt Koontz rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Tan Ching
Tan Ching rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Kevin Schriver
Kevin Schriver rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
motherfocca
motherfocca rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Butters57
Butters57 rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Carolyn Stone
Carolyn Stone rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Peter Le
Peter Le rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013