Start by marking “Postsecret: Anonymous Confessions of Ordinary Lives (Vintage)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Postsecret: Anonymous ...

Frank Warren

Postsecret: Anonymous Confessions of Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  55,859 Ratings  ·  1,011 Reviews
This text offers illustrated postcards from the PostSecret website sent in by people who anonymously reveal secrets from their past which they have never told to anyone, presenting a full range of emotions.
Published February 14th 2006 by Vintage Books USA (first published November 29th 2005)

Joey Alison Sayers
The correct title should be "Postsecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives: People Are Secretly Pretty Sad And Have Some Intense Shit That Hopefully They're Dealing With in Ways Other Than Anonymous Postcards".
Matt
Oct 01, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just as appalled as you are that this is listed on my "read" shelf. GR needs a "looked at every single page" shelf in order to better classify books such as this.

Taken at face value, this collection of confessional postcards is poignant, disturbing, and beautiful in equal parts. However, the same cynicism that causes me to assume that everyone on the Internet (who is not on my GR friends list) is in actuality a hairy, swaybacked, middle-aged man by the name of Lou also pulls me in the direct
HeavyReader
Mar 04, 2009 HeavyReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, life-stories
I really adore these PostSecret books. I feel like I'm kind of late in finding them, but what the hell! So I'm not on the cutting edge. That's no secret.

Anyway, I am touched by the secrets strangers tell to strangers, so saddened by the guilt and hurt and loss that ordinary people are carrying around. I can only hope that telling their secrets has helped this folks heal. (Does that sound trite? But it's true, it's really true!)

I am also amazed and pleased by the art that people create on these p
Mark
Mar 31, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern art enthusiast
Shelves: non-fictions
Here's a quote from one of the postcard that wiped the smile from my face while *reading* this amazing book :

Income from teaching creative writing ... $ 32,654.00
Income from writing creatively ... $ 0.00

I admire how Frank Warren got his idea for this collected postcards book, and reading the anonymous-es confessions somehow made me realize that I'm not the only person on this planet that have deepest darkest secret(s) that I'm dying to share but so afraid that anyone I know or know me find it (/
Janelle
Jun 14, 2008 Janelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I've seen bits of the books before, and articles about it, but this was the first of the books that I've read all the way through and really took some time with. For some reason it reminded me of the film "Amelie" - one of my all time favorites.

I found it to be beautiful and inspiring and heartbreaking and funny and depressing all at once. Some secrets made me laugh, a few made me cry, I judged some, I felt like praying for others, but almost all made me feel something, and I think that's what
Heather
May 10, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This books is oddly inspiring and terrifying at the same time. People from all over the country sent postcards to this guy with their deepests secrets and fears and some will scare the hell out of you and some will make you cry and the worst part is some will make you nod your head and agree! The postcards touch on every human experience we have and let you know you are not alone. The author still receives postcards from all over the world and has made a sequel as well, there is also a website a ...more
Rebecca McNutt
description

PostSecret is a still ongoing project where all kinds of ordinary people anonymously send in decorated postcards with some confession, truth or secret to tell. The postcards arriving every day in the mail are each art projects, with everything on the front from vintage photography to nail polish, and no matter the confession, so long as it's anonymous it shows up eventually on PostSecret's blog website. However, the creator of the project picked some of his favorite ones to be printed into a ful
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
At first,I found this book fun in a guilty pleasure voyeur kind of way. However, as I read more and more secrets I became engrossed with each post card and the the gravity of what it presented. It was quite liberating and heart wrenching to read all these secrets, some of them depressing beyond belief, that are written by every day people. It makes you wonder about your friends, your parents, your siblings. Anyways, it inspired me to get back to writing in my journal. I think unburdening ones he ...more
Ken
Dec 15, 2008 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: voyeurs and anyone interested in the experience of living.
Shelves: nonfiction
I remember reading about PostSecret when it first began a couple of years ago, and a couple of months ago found the weekly blog compiled by Frank Warren. People send Warren a 3 by 5 postcard that reveals a secret that they have never told anyone. Selections of what he receives appear on the blog and in this, the first of 4 books.

The postcards in this book are not organized in any particular way, but the secrets that they reveal include betrayal, love, fear, courage, despair, hope, lonliness, and
Kirsti
The secrets from this book that have stuck with me are

"I love one of my children"

and

"the medication is not enough to make me forget what he did to me . . . if i see him again i will kill him to save the others"

There are also some less serious secrets, such as

"I think women who don't wear makeup . . . are lazy"

and

"I ATE ALL THE BLUEBERRIES (AND THEY WERE DELICIOUS)"
Autumn
there are two kind of secrets: those we keep from others and those we hide from ourselves....

are you willing to share yours???

this book was so liberating, as it was comforting.

I dont think i can describe with words the emotions, thoughts, insight it gave to me. How much pain, frustration, shattered dreams, fears, hopes.. can all be condensed into a simple sentence.

these simple revelations had so much substance. I laughed, cried, gasped.. and of course; empathize,because many of this quiet thoug
Fatimah
Oct 29, 2012 Fatimah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
While reading this, I realize I'm not the only one who has weird and wild belief or secrets. Some of my secrets were written there and when I saw them, I don't know how to react.

In life we sometimes thought we're the only one experiencing terrible things but no, someone out there is experiencing that too. I don't know if we should be happy about it or sad. One thing I know is that we're not alone.
Megan
Nov 24, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. He invited people to mail him anonymous postcards with a secret. The book is all of those secrets. Some people have lived with horrible secrets, others are just funny (ex. - I like to pee when I swim). A quick look at all the postcards.
Chris Freeman
Jan 05, 2008 Chris Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The big secret: people are lonely and unhappy with themselves. I don't mean that as sarcasm, I mean that the anonymous secrets in this book (and updated everyday on the website) are proof that struggling is universal.
Camilla
Jan 28, 2016 Camilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
“How I wish I could hug everyone and tell them that it's okay. It's okay to be scared and angry and hurt and selfish. It's part of being human."
Dan
May 30, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a postcard written in my handwriting... It wasn't me, but it made me think that I had sent one and had forgotten about it. :/
Heather
Apr 09, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raw, honest and beautiful!
Jessietaylortanner
I have leafed through this in bookstores in the past but never from cover to cover. Since I have learned the wonders of the public library system I was finally able to pore over it, giving it the attention it deserved. I love this book. I love the concept. I love the art. I love the individual expressions (and confessions)of things that can be unifying and liberating to the masses. There are many secrets that i could do without, usually of a sexual nature, but you can't really censor people's se ...more
Akemi G
I read Post Secret series 7 or 8 years ago. I believe this one is the first of the series, which is the best. The sequels are fine, but as the project gained fame, it attracted more and more attention-getter submissions, and I suspect a good number of them are fake secrets--too eloquent and even smart-ass in disclosing their long-time secrets. And more and more near or downright criminal secrets and sexual contents and less of the subtle secrets that nonetheless bother us.

Having said this, do c
Cody
Feb 23, 2008 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE WITH A SECRET
Shelves: non-fiction
The best way to free yourself from a dark secret or any secret is to tell that secret to someone else. Frank Warren has figured out a way to do that and remain anonomous. Write it on a postcard, store-bought or homemade, and mail it to him. This series of PostSecret books are the best of the lot. Some are hysterical, others moving and some downright gross (ie. the wife that pust boogers in her husband's soup) and no matter if you hate the idea or love it, you have to admit the books ae compellin ...more
Erin
May 27, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing idea behind this collection of postcards. Read a few and you become compelled to read the rest. Some leave you laughing and some leave you with a feeling of dread. All are presumably true and it is intriguing to see how the people decided to convey their secrets, often with images. A good coffee table book (as long as you enjoy the strange conversations that follow). I recommend at least flipping through it next time you are at the book store. Reactions may vary but its worth the try.
Sorento62
Mar 26, 2016 Sorento62 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading these secrets evokes compassion for oneself and for others. I wonder to what extent the grossest, most horrifying and the saddest were censored out of this collection. Some cards show evidence of self censorship, even in this anonymous format.
Karri Lewis
Sep 27, 2007 Karri Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
It can be scary what real people do and have anonymously confessed to. I think this is a peak into how a lot of people really behave in a society that they feel anonymous. It just goes to show that a lot of people show little accountability for their behavior. For better or for worse, I think this says a lot about our society....
Jenni
Oct 05, 2014 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been on goodreads for a while now, but this is my first actual review of a book, be kind (:

There are few things that can make feel just as this book has made me feel. Every turn of the page I found myself feeling different things. Though it took me all of 20 minutes to finish, I still loved every page. PostSecret is a collection of postcards the author has received containing various secrets from strangers from all over the world. I was just looking through the college library and stumble
Janne Varvára
Mar 11, 2013 Janne Varvára rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Postsecret is a wonderful project, that not only offers artistic relief and expression to the makers of the postcards, but to everyone who reads them. It's a project that builds bridges between people, and makes us remember, if nothing, that we can be alone together.
A very enjoyable collection.
JO D
Feb 24, 2007 JO D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
You have to get this book. It’s so interesting and inspirational and it made me feel more normal. Some of the post cards are really sad, some you can relate to, some are hilarious but they all make you think about the person behind them. The story behind them. It’s such a great book to have!
Juneko
May 25, 2012 Juneko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've labelled this under humor, but the reality is that some of these confessions are painful and disturbing. This collection is a little bit like found art...poweful in its impact and its ability to reveal the truth about human nature.
Shabab Kabir
Aug 24, 2016 Shabab Kabir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
This is not just a book but a journey. A journey of lives of so many people through their secrets.
Some secrets are just basic humor but some deep dark secrets will break your heart.
I connected to many of the secrets and it even made me tear up.
I believe this is the greatest thing I ever read . Not for the content but for the idea behind it.
It is must read for everyone :')
The book will liberate you and set you free.
It will comfort you because you are not the only one ( e.g “How I wish I could hug
Katie
Feb 18, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Karen at InterAct
The concept was simple. Convey a secret you've never told anyone on a postcard and mail it to the stranger who prefilled the postcard with his address (and he'll publish it!?). And people did!

The 37 cent stamp on the cover of Frank Warren’s “PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives” cannot date the project. Humans have a timeless longing to love, to be loved, to feel shame, to rebel, and to exact revenge. Even when we keep these desires our innermost secrets, we nearly always i
Melissa Vega
Aug 18, 2009 Melissa Vega rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for me, when I read this book (or rather, looked at it) to believe that this was a project with a title and an author. Postsecret is a website dedicated to letting people in the world air their grievances without having the messy situation known as consequence, affect them; that was turned into a book. Flipping through the pages at first, I was more fascinated by the creative cards people had taken the time out to decorate than i was the secrets themselves. Until I started reading. Not ...more
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Other People's Love Letters: 150 Letters You Were Never Meant to See
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1)
  • Fresh Fruits
  • Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • Faeries

• The Secret Lives of Men and Women: A PostSecret Book
  • A Lifetime of Secrets: A PostSecret Book
  • The World of PostSecret
  • PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God

“How I wish I could hug everyone and tell them that it's okay. It's okay to be scared and angry and hurt and selfish. It's part of being human,” 68 likes