Start by marking “The Woman's Comfort Book” as Want to Read:
The Woman's Comfort Book

The Woman's Comfort Book

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  918 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
With over 200 prescriptions for giving yourself a break, this book helps the reader to sort out guilty feelings about self–nurture and to define her comfort/self–nurture needs.

In this book the author delivers a host of creative and comforting programmes like the self–care schedule, creative selfishness, creating a comfort network, body delights, a personal sanctuary, the c
Published January 1st 1992 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Woman's Comfort Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman's Comfort Book

Cathie
Mar 29, 2009 Cathie rated it really liked it
Easy read with some good, if over the top, ideas. This is a nice, happy read for those of us who feel guilty about not alwyas working or doing chores. It has some good basic ideas for forgiving yourself and others, for letting go of guilt and finding time for yourself. It also deals with food issues, spirituality and things we do to sabotage ourselves. Some of her rituals are bordering on whack, but there are plenty of good ideas in here. Also lots of good recommended reading for the areas I may ...more
Kym
Jun 14, 2012 Kym rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Woman
Recommended to Kym by: A very important woman
This is a fabulous book dedicated to taking care of ourselves. It is one of those books I will keep forever. It is a guide to self-care and nurturing in these days where that is almost unheard of. If you have a hard time taking time for youself - get it. If you're worn down and need a break - get it. If you want to do something nice for youself - get it. If you haven't gotten my drift -------- GET IT! It's a great book to keep forever and keep going back to. Actually, I'm gonna pick mine off the ...more
Tina
Mar 22, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
This book was the best thing that I read when I was recovering from a back operation. Jennifer Louden writes up many different ways for women to take care of themselves. Nurturing others is such a natural thing for most women to do but when it comes to taking care of themselves, it is so hard.

In this book, are many easy and achievable ways to be kind to yourself. I often pick it up and go over some of the sections.The book itself feels soft and comforting. I still enjoy referring to it.
Judi
Jan 31, 2016 Judi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again, health
Starting this book today, I have lots of time and several things to putter with here at home. A low pressure day you might say. You also might say, Thank you, God. I've read the reviews and am prepared to read slowly and linger over the book. I am prepared to like and possibly love it. Maybe even suggest it to my recently widowed sister. We shall see.

Well, I'm finished with this first reading of the book. And I say this first reading because I think there are many parts of it that I will want to
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Before the book was in my hands I wanted to love it -- but wanting to love a book has not made it so, in my experience. Once I got it, I let it languish for over a week because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to my hopes.

Happy relief! Once I finally took the plunge and began reading, I couldn't resist the warmth and wisdom of Woman's Cofort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life.

Jen Louden serves up a delicious collection of comfort recipes that stir curiosity and delig
Gloria
Sep 14, 2008 Gloria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This is a book that one should linger over in order to appreciate the variety of ideas and suggestions for nurturing the spirit. Short chapters dealing with topics intended to inspire you to try something different in order to bring your self into balance. Lots of resources listed for books, music CDs, etc.
Michelle Dellit
Oct 23, 2009 Michelle Dellit is currently reading it
I now have a copy for the car and teh house. My 5 minute survival guide. Ilove the fact that I can open it to any page and get someting helpful or go to the comfort at a glance page and find what I need in seconds
Lia
Oct 02, 2010 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this book as part of the healing I help women with. Louden has anticipated the woman's soul beautifully in this reference. It is full of ideas of ways to address the needs of the soul.
Jewel
Nov 11, 2008 Jewel rated it liked it
This is a great book for someone who is looking for new ways to play, to just relax, and to do fun things. It explores far reaching ideas - even sexually. lmao
Brandi
Mar 23, 2009 Brandi rated it really liked it
I have owned this book for about 10 years. I find myself re-reading it every year or two to remind myself to slow down.
Lynda
Jun 02, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: positive-living
I go back to this book over and over whenever I need to remind myself to look after myself.
Tracey
a good reference book for my soul when it gets a little dinged up with too much stress & worry.
Tiffany
Aug 11, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It has become a trusted friend I turn to in good times and bad!
Laura Rogers
May 14, 2009 Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing
Give yourself a personalized retreat - read this book and comfort yourself.
Erin Lyndal
Jul 26, 2014 Erin Lyndal rated it it was amazing
This book has a simple premise and is full of wonderful ideas. Here, Loudon just gives lots of different suggestions for self-care activities that someone can do to take better care of themselves and be self-nurturing on a lot of level. She also includes "when to use this activity" notes for each one, so you can find one to target whatever you are experiencing. I am very bad about not taking the time to self-nurture, so this book has been a great reminder to me.
India Fuller Ayling
May 27, 2015 India Fuller Ayling rated it really liked it
I love this book. Once you get over the title and the pagan sage rituals, the rest of it is a fun to follow step by step guide to loving yourself. I especially enjoy the comfort journal, bath time and nurturing voice ideas :--)
Paula
Oct 15, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it
Stands up to the test of time (well, at least 20 years or so). Great resources for anyone working with clients or looking to help themselves along on a journey to themselves and what they need to feel good.
Renee
Mar 16, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it
One of my go-to books in the 90's and early 00's. Great ideas and motivations during major changes in my life. I now have this as an ebook for an occasional reference tool.
Pam
Sep 26, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Fantastic gift book for people who need to nurture themselves more or find themselves within busy lives that revolve around care-taking for others.
michele kennedy
Oct 27, 2014 michele kennedy rated it it was amazing
This is a must-have for anyone who is dedicated to calm, mindful living. I continue to find it incredibly useful in my daily practice.
K Rae
Dec 09, 2015 K Rae rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas for nurturing yourself!
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
I took notes on this one, though I liked her book "The Woman's Retreat Book" much better. All of us ladies need to work on self-nurturing though, whether we have children, spouses or otherwise. We do too much. Check this one out, and treat yourself to a luxurious experience: showering in the dark. Trust me. It's amazing.
Donna Wynn
Sep 05, 2011 Donna Wynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Jennifer's style of writing speaks directly to the heart . . . she started it all as far as I am concerned! There are so many self help, creativity books out there ... Jennifer's books were there from the beginning. I have given this book to friends, over and over again. A must read!
Stephanie
Apr 27, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: happiness
I picked it up from the library and skimmed it. It all seemed so obvious to me. I do all of this comfy stuff already. I have no guilt about it and I already love myself a lot. What can I say? I'm sure it is very helpful for women who are struggling!
Jill
Jan 14, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
A book of suggestions of things that might bring comfort to the lives of women. Helps you think of things, and feel that doing such things is right and possible.
charlotte Phillips
-great book about creating comfort in your life. Lots of interesting exercises. Recommended by Diane.
Leesa Wilson
Aug 11, 2012 Leesa Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love it. It's been a beloved part of my library for well over a decade. I refer to it seasonally.
May 29, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
a little cheesy, but sometimes I really need a kick to remind me to make "me time" for relaxation.
Marian
Feb 13, 2016 Marian rated it really liked it
A really good resource for women who need ideas for self-care.
Robin
Jun 20, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Great ideas that often can be overlooked by women with busy lives.
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments & Other Topical Therapies
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness

“Write down everything that you accomplished today. Instead of a “to do” list, this is a “done” list. Include everything!” 0 likes