Start by marking “The Woman's Comfort Book” as Want to Read:
The Woman's Comfort Book

The Woman's Comfort Book

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  34 reviews
With over 200 prescriptions for giving yourself a break, this book helps the reader to sort out guilty feelings about self–nurture and to define her comfort/self–nurture needs.

In this book the author delivers a host of creative and comforting programmes like the self–care schedule, creative selfishness, creating a comfort network, body delights, a personal sanctuary, the c
Published January 1st 1992 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Woman's Comfort Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman's Comfort Book

Easy read with some good, if over the top, ideas. This is a nice, happy read for those of us who feel guilty about not alwyas working or doing chores. It has some good basic ideas for forgiving yourself and others, for letting go of guilt and finding time for yourself. It also deals with food issues, spirituality and things we do to sabotage ourselves. Some of her rituals are bordering on whack, but there are plenty of good ideas in here. Also lots of good recommended reading for the areas I may ...more
Jun 14, 2012 Kym rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every Woman
Recommended to Kym by: A very important woman
This is a fabulous book dedicated to taking care of ourselves. It is one of those books I will keep forever. It is a guide to self-care and nurturing in these days where that is almost unheard of. If you have a hard time taking time for youself - get it. If you're worn down and need a break - get it. If you want to do something nice for youself - get it. If you haven't gotten my drift -------- GET IT! It's a great book to keep forever and keep going back to. Actually, I'm gonna pick mine off the ...more
This book was the best thing that I read when I was recovering from a back operation. Jennifer Louden writes up many different ways for women to take care of themselves. Nurturing others is such a natural thing for most women to do but when it comes to taking care of themselves, it is so hard.

In this book, are many easy and achievable ways to be kind to yourself. I often pick it up and go over some of the sections.The book itself feels soft and comforting. I still enjoy referring to it.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Before the book was in my hands I wanted to love it -- but wanting to love a book has not made it so, in my experience. Once I got it, I let it languish for over a week because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to my hopes.

Happy relief! Once I finally took the plunge and began reading, I couldn't resist the warmth and wisdom of Woman's Cofort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life.

Jen Louden serves up a delicious collection of comfort recipes that stir curiosity and delig
Sep 14, 2008 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This is a book that one should linger over in order to appreciate the variety of ideas and suggestions for nurturing the spirit. Short chapters dealing with topics intended to inspire you to try something different in order to bring your self into balance. Lots of resources listed for books, music CDs, etc.
Michelle Dellit
Oct 23, 2009 Michelle Dellit is currently reading it
I now have a copy for the car and teh house. My 5 minute survival guide. Ilove the fact that I can open it to any page and get someting helpful or go to the comfort at a glance page and find what I need in seconds
I use this book as part of the healing I help women with. Louden has anticipated the woman's soul beautifully in this reference. It is full of ideas of ways to address the needs of the soul.
This is a great book for someone who is looking for new ways to play, to just relax, and to do fun things. It explores far reaching ideas - even sexually. lmao
I have owned this book for about 10 years. I find myself re-reading it every year or two to remind myself to slow down.
I go back to this book over and over whenever I need to remind myself to look after myself.
a good reference book for my soul when it gets a little dinged up with too much stress & worry.
I love this book! It has become a trusted friend I turn to in good times and bad!
Laura Rogers
Give yourself a personalized retreat - read this book and comfort yourself.
Erin Lyndal
This book has a simple premise and is full of wonderful ideas. Here, Loudon just gives lots of different suggestions for self-care activities that someone can do to take better care of themselves and be self-nurturing on a lot of level. She also includes "when to use this activity" notes for each one, so you can find one to target whatever you are experiencing. I am very bad about not taking the time to self-nurture, so this book has been a great reminder to me.
India Fuller Ayling
I love this book. Once you get over the title and the pagan sage rituals, the rest of it is a fun to follow step by step guide to loving yourself. I especially enjoy the comfort journal, bath time and nurturing voice ideas :--)
Stands up to the test of time (well, at least 20 years or so). Great resources for anyone working with clients or looking to help themselves along on a journey to themselves and what they need to feel good.
Fantastic gift book for people who need to nurture themselves more or find themselves within busy lives that revolve around care-taking for others.
michele kennedy
This is a must-have for anyone who is dedicated to calm, mindful living. I continue to find it incredibly useful in my daily practice.
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
I took notes on this one, though I liked her book "The Woman's Retreat Book" much better. All of us ladies need to work on self-nurturing though, whether we have children, spouses or otherwise. We do too much. Check this one out, and treat yourself to a luxurious experience: showering in the dark. Trust me. It's amazing.
Donna Wynn
Sep 05, 2011 Donna Wynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Jennifer's style of writing speaks directly to the heart . . . she started it all as far as I am concerned! There are so many self help, creativity books out there ... Jennifer's books were there from the beginning. I have given this book to friends, over and over again. A must read!
I picked it up from the library and skimmed it. It all seemed so obvious to me. I do all of this comfy stuff already. I have no guilt about it and I already love myself a lot. What can I say? I'm sure it is very helpful for women who are struggling!
A book of suggestions of things that might bring comfort to the lives of women. Helps you think of things, and feel that doing such things is right and possible.
charlotte Phillips
-great book about creating comfort in your life. Lots of interesting exercises. Recommended by Diane.
Leesa Wilson
I love it. It's been a beloved part of my library for well over a decade. I refer to it seasonally.
a little cheesy, but sometimes I really need a kick to remind me to make "me time" for relaxation.
Great ideas that often can be overlooked by women with busy lives.
Melisa  Durkin
Have this book and love it but need to use it more!!
Aug 21, 2012 Char added it
One of my very favorites - a go to again and again.
Deb Davis
Okay, but much slighter than I first thought it would be.
A classic in the women's self-help genre.
  • Change Your Life Without Getting Out of Bed: The Ultimate Nap Book
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments & Other Topical Therapies
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • Earthquake Storms: The Fascinating History and Volatile Future of the San Andreas Fault
The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year Woman's Retreat Book: A Guide to Restoring, Rediscovering and Reawakening Your True Self --In a Moment, An Hour, Or a Weekend The Comfort Queen's Guide to Life: Create All That You Need with Just What You've Got The Pregnant Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide to Your Emotional Well-Being During Pregnancy and Early Motherhood Couple's Comfort Book: A Creative Guide for Renewing Passion, Pleasure and Commitment