Start by marking “A Boy and His Bunny” as Want to Read:
A Boy and His Bunny

A Boy and His Bunny

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  57 reviews
A humorous way to show kids that being different can be a lot of fun! How would you feel if one morning you woke up with a big-eared, wet-nosed bunny on your head? Would you be surprised? And what would you do if you learned the bunny's name was Fred? And he liked it there on top of your head? You'd be different from your friends, who have nothing on their heads, but hey! ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Arcade Publishing (first published February 2nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy and His Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy and His Bunny

Emma (Miss Print)
I have finally read the prequel and sequel to A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy. Having read the entire trilogy (perhaps with more to come), I feel like my life is complete. These are some of my most favorite picture books of all time.

The genius started in 2005 with A Boy and His Bunny when a boy woke up with a bunny on his head. Boy and Bunny decided to roll with it. Stranger things had probably happened somewhere so why get upset over something so minor?

Boy's mother (I call him
Heidi
Wow. This is fabulous. A great book to use for beginning readers. Not too many words, large text, fun pictures to illustrate, and many repeated words. The rhyming is steady (even repetitive in some cases) and easily picked up--which makes for good learning to read as well as a good read-aloud. I think the preschoolers will find this hilarious. And I love the ending.

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 It was a quieter reception, but I think they still liked it. I saw smiles, and I view that as points. They li
Amy Musser
A boy wakes up one morning with a little white bunny on his head. He names him Fred. They go downstairs to eat some bread. (Did I mention this is a book in rhyme?) The boy’s mother becomes concerned, but the bunny assures her that “you can do anything with a bunny on your head.” The bunny’s list includes reading a book, speaking French, riding in a bobsled, exploring the sea, and more. The boy’s mother feels much better about the situation, until the boy’s sister walks in with a small alligator ...more
Karen
Ever since my son was about six months old, he has had a favorite stuffed toy. A rabbit. Named Hop-Hop. He is five now, and Hop-Hop still goes with him just about everywhere. He spotted this book in the library earlier this week, and recognized Hop-Hop right away.

As we were reading this book, we acted it out by putting Hop-Hop on his head. That just made the text ten times funnier and he kept collapsing into fits of giggles. But even if you don't act out the text, I'm pretty sure this book will
Sarai
From School Library Journal
PreSchool-Grade 1–While Mother is puzzled when her son wakes up with an animal on his head, he isn't perturbed. In fact, the creature lets her know that "you can do anything with a bunny on your head." And so the fanciful story goes. The bunny explains that "peanut butter can be spread" and "books can be read with a bunny on your head." Only pale blue and yellow color the spare line drawings, yet they go a long way in embellishing this quirky and imaginative tale. The
Mae
I used to be the type to over-analyze every detail... `
I possibly maybe the type of person to over analyze simple things. Could this book be a metaphor to disability? Some sort of shortcoming such as personality (white bunny = "softness", "gentleness", "timid") or skill (since a bunny is small and it can only hop?) or even... mental illness? Though a disability does not translate to inability. For sure, the message is that whatever is on (or in) your head, it doesn't prevent you from becoming wh
Taya
The only two colors used in this entire book, besides black and white, are blue and gold. This makes for a lot of white space in the book, but I find myself going against my normal response and really agreeing with the illustrator on his choice of representations. The simple choice of color paired with the child-like drawings is really quite interesting to follow. Each space is filled mostly with white background space. This would normally seem like a great waste, but it actually works wonderful ...more
Maggie KutsBorg
A fun, whimsical story. I can imagine myself reading this with a plush bunny on my head!
Ariel
An excellent rhyming book with beautiful drawings. Very clever!
Dana Pressnell
Rhyming. Bunny on head. Prediction at end
Lori
charming, silly, fun.
Cheryl
Sorry, I don't get it. I find it reminiscent of Imogene's Antlers, which I didn't like as much as most readers, either. I do agree with the reviewer who related it to Dr. Seuss, too, as it's mostly nonsense and it rhymes and it's good for beginning readers. Maybe my inner child just doesn't want to play today.
Camille
Another simply drawn, texted and rhymed book from Sean Bryan that is utterly awesome. I actually use the same rhythm that I read Dr Seuss books with Bryan's books. They're fun and I think they would make a lot of kids happy if not leave them laughing.
Just like his other books, I would team this one up with other fun human-animal interaction titles such as Muncha, Muncha, Muncha! and Terrific.
Emmeline Guest
Worth buying.

Simply, silly, and written and illustrated by a local author and illustrator - how could I resist?

These book is great for the littlest readers (it is short, with simple sentences), but funny enough to be enjoyed by a preschooler (even their parents!).

The illustrations are great - as simple and silly as the text.
Rachel
I picked up this book at the library while looking for books for class and thought the idea was so cute, plus it rhymes. A boy that wakes up with a bunny on his head, and he names it Fred. The boy and his bunny think of all the things they can do together and then what does his sister walk in with on her head? Recommended for ages 2-4.
Chantel
This is a silly read aloud/easy reader that made us all chuckle. Claire (age 4) couldn't get over the picture of the bunny and the boy, both with snorkles and masks on, swimming under water. She giggled for a couple of minutes straight and then, after we finished the book, she went back to look at the picture and chuckle more!
Mary
Silly, absurd, ridiculous rhymes. A very quick read-aloud.. I read to a group of preschoolers and also to first-graders, and both groups enjoyed it. Good the following themes: bunnies, rhyming books, silly stories. I took the advice of the posters who suggested putting a toy bunny on your head when you are reading it.
Kathy
Fred wakes up with a bunny on his head and as he explains, he can do everything with a bunny on his head. Some nice rhymes and big text. Children who like Mo Willems will like the nice sense of the absurd in this book and the sequels A Girl and Her Gator! and a Boy and his Bear!
Dana
Though the illustrations are best close up, A Boy and His Bunny is still worth considering for a storytime with it's fun rhymes and outright silliness. For more fun, carry on with rest of the trilogy inThe Girl and Her Gator and The Bear and His Boy.
Dolly
Dec 20, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a short, rhyming story that is fun to read aloud; all of the sentences in the story rhyme with the word 'head.' We read this ebook on my iPad and it was very cute. Our girls thought it was very funny and they loved the ending. We enjoyed reading it together.
Julie
This book is terrible! I though bunnies-on-heads would have been way funnier. Instead, it's awkward and stilted.
Bree
Notes:
nonsense rhyming book; boy has a bunny on his head but can still do so many things; entertaining
Jayanne
"A Boy woke up with a bunny on his head.
He named him Fred this bunny on his head."

I read this story to a group of preschoolers - but I made them hold bunnies on their heads the entire time. Ah, the power....
Claire Barden
This book was cute and I loved the simple illustrations. The ending made me laugh so hard that I had to read the whole book out loud to my sister. Definitely recommend.
Kris
For those teaching rhyme and phonemic awareness, it's not easy to find books that teach and still have a sense of humor. This is one of the rare finds. Very fun!
Jen H.
Funny rhyming text about a boy who convinces his mother of all of the things you can do with a bunny on your head. Would be fun to read aloud.
Deborah
Another book that I thought would have gotten a better reaction at storytime. But maybe more kids wear animals on their heads than I thought?
Valerie
just try NOT reading this one with a bunny on your head! Preschoolers especially like the ending, so be sure to have a....on hand as well!
alex
We love this book - it's very funny, and the rhyming is great for my 3.5 year old who is learning to recognize word sounds and letters.
Kelli
So what's the problem with having a bunny on your head? You can do all sorts of things. Sure to bring giggles. Fun with a group.
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World