Start by marking “The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian : a grand extravaganza, including a performance by the entire cast of the Gallimaufry-Theatricus” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  543 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When he loses his place as fourth fiddler in a noble household, Sebastian sets out into the world to seek his fortune.
Published October 6th 1970 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian

Kay Iscah
This book falls under the category of fun romp. It's not profound; it doesn't try to be. It is fun. My two criticisms are that the book keeps up a rather dizzying pace and could benefit from a little breathing room, and perhaps related, there are several large chunks of dialogue without description, which I feel contribute to the sense of blur.

The characters bounce from one mishap to another, and there's not much in the way of plot or planning. But in this case I don't think that necessarily det...more
Qenops
I found this at a library sell-off when I was a kid, and it was so cheap I had to buy it. Several years later when I got around to reading it, I loved this book! This stylistic, musical adventure set in an 18th century romanticized world follows the ambling adventures of a simple, young fiddler who has lost his place and must face a world he knows nothing about. It presents a light-hearted retelling of several global themes including: coming of age, false appearances, social justice, torment and...more
Jirrine
More reviews on www.jirrinereads.wordpress.com

I read this book for a personal challenge: to read all the nominees + winner of the 1971 Mythopoeic Fantasty Awards.

First of all, I don’t really consider this book to be fantasy. The only reason that I read it as such is that is shelved like that on Goodreads and that it has won a fantasy award. There is no fantasy element in this book. Yes, the setting is fictitious but the rest could all have happened in the past. There is not really a genre where...more
Susan
This book, which takes place in the 18th Century, is about Sebastian, the 4th fiddle in a count's house. He is fired and begins his adventures, some of which are saving a "witch" cat, trying to save a princess, finding a magic violin, riding in a hot air balloon, and barely escaping with his life a number of times.

It's a cute book with a lot of adventures and humor. It has won many awards, such as the Library of Congress Best Book of the Year and the National Book Award. It's on a sixth grade re...more
Shakespearesgirl
A fun story, if a bit predictable. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, to be honest. Once I got a feel for the story I realized it really wasn't what I'd been expecting, closer to The Chronicles of Prydain than The Arkadians. That said, it was a fun, if shallow, book, and I enjoyed Sebastian's adventures with the Princess and Nicholas and Presto.

I think where this book falls short is that it doesn't make as strong a statement about Good vs. Evil as the Prydain stories do, and it does...more
Anthony Faber
Kid's book. It follows the usual Lloyd Alexander template. Youngster leaves home, has adventures, possibly involving the righting of wrongs, then everyone good lives happily ever after.
Cynthia E Sherman
Loved the plot. Some violence, so not appropriate for a school setting. However, readers will enjoy this storyline.
Miriam
Overall, I come away from reading this book liking it. That said, it took me until about half-way through before I started to. I don't like not finishing a book I have started reading, and I almost put this down. I started to think of "Don Quixote" and "Through the Looking Glass" and would this be just another series of encounters that don't lead anywhere. Fortunately, the story did come together, and I finally really wanted to know what would happen to the characters.

In the end... Worth readin...more
Mikki
Jun 17, 2009 Mikki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good, light adventure
A very fun romp, from start to finish. This is exactly the kind of adventure I love to read about -- an unsinkable young hero and his very personable cat, a sweet and funny romance with a spunky young heroine, fantastic new places to visit, circuses and theater troupes and all the colorful characters you could ever want in an adventure like this! I read this ages ago when I was still in grade school, but even now, it still has a place in my heart.
Biblia Fyle
Although Princess Isabel's educated speech and use of wonderful big words and eloquent patterns is a joy to read, Sebastien's character i found a bit boring and unrealistic. Nicholas was predictable and his character not adequately developed, and the theatrical troupe likewise, although Quicksilver has some good insightful lines near the end of the book.

Overall, not my favorite L. Alexander.
Astrid Lim
This book is good if you look for something simple, adventurous, a bit funny, not complicated, no surprises whatsoever, and nice setting/characters. It has everything you need for a decent children book, but doesn't add anything other than that. So don't put your expectation too high, just enjoy the ride with Sebastian :)
Jill
this isn't my style of book - it's got the feel of a movie that just needs to be released and watched. the story is fun, there are tons of characters and a variety of scenes and plot twists. in the end the morals are present...but sebastian doesn't stick around to be with his love interest. he's off onto his next adventure.
Seth
Lloyd Alexander is an excellent storyteller; his prose is excellent and his adventure sequences are fantastic. Though I might not like all the the ins and outs of this story, I definitely enjoyed the Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian, and was surprised at how those adventures ended.
Shauna
I enjoyed this crazy adventure of a bumbling young musician, a spunky princess, a heroic "Captain," and a cursed violin (among other things). I may not have been completely convinced by the romance that develops, but the (mis)adventures were fun and it was a cute little read.
Medina
Enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a fun read full of adventure and intrigue. I wish in the end that Sebastian had taken care of the Regent himself without a supernatural influence but other than that I loved it.
Kelly
A book I read from time to time. Though it is geared for young adults, I still find it absorbing and amusing as an adult. This is one I will want to read to my children.
Alyssa
Adorable and well-written, the princess's speech is structured in a way that makes it amusing, yet slightly difficult to understand. I think Presto was my favorite character.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Guion
I flat out hate stories that make one thing go wrong after another. This was no different. Every chapter I was waiting for things to work out for him for once!
Blake
Fun book. It's nice to read books intended for young people. I'm finding it a welcome respite from life's complications. It might be fun to read again sometime.
Chrisanne
Only in Alexander's world would a violinist be the hero, the heroine use 6 syllable words as freely as salt, and escape-mobile of choice be a balloon...
K.
The kids and I really enjoyed this book. I think it is appropriate for any age, but Rachael (5) wasn't as interested as Joel (9).
Lexi
30 pts - 10. Rora’s Task – Read A Nominee Or Winner Of The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award From 1971-1991. http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/
Maria
Very fun adventure, with some though provoking elements. I like most of Alexander's that I've read.
Emily
It's a pretty good young adult novel, but it was hard to get through now that I'm in my 20s.
Arwen
A cute story but too light weight and fast paced for me. I prefer the Prydain Chronicles.
Ki
One of Alexander's best works. A real delight.
Tess Johnston
Fun book to read with your kiddos.
jane
See Black Cauldron review.
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • Sir Lancelot, Where Are You? (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #6)
  • Sword Song
  • Master of Many Treasures (Pigs Don't Fly, #3)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 1: Cart and Cwidder & Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-2)
  • Tarzan: The Lost Adventure (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: Comics)
  • Giant Bones
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain #5)
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Rowan Hood Returns: The Final Chapter (Rowan Hood, #5)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • The Little Broomstick
  • The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (Lewis Barnavelt, #3)
  • The Devil's Storybook
Lloyd Chudley Alexander (January 30, 1924 - May 17, 2007) was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children's literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King, was awarded the Newbery Medal i...more
More about Lloyd Alexander...
The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain #2) The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain #1) The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5) Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4) The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain #3)