Start by marking “The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian” as Want to Read:
The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian

The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian

When fourth fiddler Sebastian loses his place in the Baron's orchestra, he has to leave the only home he knows--which turns out to be the least of his troubles. He rescues a stray cat from a group of tormentors, who then smash his precious violin; and the troubled young boy he tries to help turns out to be the Crown Princess, on the run from an arranged marriage. Sebastian ...more
Published October 6th 1970 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian

Qenops
Jul 06, 2010 Qenops rated it it was amazing
I found this at a library sell-off when I was a kid, and it was so cheap I had to buy it. Several years later when I got around to reading it, I loved this book! This stylistic, musical adventure set in an 18th century romanticized world follows the ambling adventures of a simple, young fiddler who has lost his place and must face a world he knows nothing about. It presents a light-hearted retelling of several global themes including: coming of age, false appearances, social justice, torment and ...more
Jaimie
May 17, 2016 Jaimie rated it liked it
***2016 Reading Challenge - A National Book Award winner***
Let's be honest, I had to read some other reviews of this book to understand it's place on the National Book Award winner's list. At the time Alexander's book won the award (pre-1980), candidates were chosen by publishers, and then the winner was picked by a team of five well-regarded authors. In my opinion, that gives this award some gravity. There is definitely a group of people that feel this book was a unique, deep, meaningful, and f
Kay Iscah
Apr 03, 2014 Kay Iscah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book falls under the category of fun romp. It's not profound; it doesn't try to be. It is fun. My two criticisms are that the book keeps up a rather dizzying pace and could benefit from a little breathing room, and perhaps related, there are several large chunks of dialogue without description, which I feel contribute to the sense of blur.

The characters bounce from one mishap to another, and there's not much in the way of plot or planning. But in this case I don't think that necessarily det
Conan Tigard
I felt a little deceived when I saw the book cover. The picture on the front gives the impression that the story is about two kids and a white cat. I will admit that there is a white cat names Presto in the story who is pretty cool. But the other two main characters are not children, at least it did not seem that way to me.

Although age is never discussed, the reader gets the impression that Sebastian must be in his early 20's. As for the story itself, I found it to be good, but not as extraordi
Jirrine
More reviews on www.jirrinereads.wordpress.com

I read this book for a personal challenge: to read all the nominees + winner of the 1971 Mythopoeic Fantasty Awards.

First of all, I don’t really consider this book to be fantasy. The only reason that I read it as such is that is shelved like that on Goodreads and that it has won a fantasy award. There is no fantasy element in this book. Yes, the setting is fictitious but the rest could all have happened in the past. There is not really a genre where
Susan
Apr 23, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book, which takes place in the 18th Century, is about Sebastian, the 4th fiddle in a count's house. He is fired and begins his adventures, some of which are saving a "witch" cat, trying to save a princess, finding a magic violin, riding in a hot air balloon, and barely escaping with his life a number of times.

It's a cute book with a lot of adventures and humor. It has won many awards, such as the Library of Congress Best Book of the Year and the National Book Award. It's on a sixth grade re
Jul 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
A fun story, if a bit predictable. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, to be honest. Once I got a feel for the story I realized it really wasn't what I'd been expecting, closer to The Chronicles of Prydain than The Arkadians. That said, it was a fun, if shallow, book, and I enjoyed Sebastian's adventures with the Princess and Nicholas and Presto.

I think where this book falls short is that it doesn't make as strong a statement about Good vs. Evil as the Prydain stories do, and it does
Rick Stuckwisch
Sep 19, 2016 Rick Stuckwisch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another childhood favorite from one of my all-time favorite authors, Lloyd Alexander (author of the magnificent Tales of Prydain series). This book would make for a great movie. Good fun and great read-aloud for children from five or six years to young adults.
Anthony Faber
Feb 20, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kid's book. It follows the usual Lloyd Alexander template. Youngster leaves home, has adventures, possibly involving the righting of wrongs, then everyone good lives happily ever after.
Daniel
Dec 04, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
A fun little comedy. Sebastian is a musician who has an adventure, and meets a princess and a cat into the bargain.
Cynthia E Sherman
Loved the plot. Some violence, so not appropriate for a school setting. However, readers will enjoy this storyline.
Luisa
Jan 24, 2016 Luisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's hilarious and exciting and ridiculous in all the best ways.
Miriam
Jun 09, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Overall, I come away from reading this book liking it. That said, it took me until about half-way through before I started to. I don't like not finishing a book I have started reading, and I almost put this down. I started to think of "Don Quixote" and "Through the Looking Glass" and would this be just another series of encounters that don't lead anywhere. Fortunately, the story did come together, and I finally really wanted to know what would happen to the characters.

In the end... Worth readin
Mikki
Jun 17, 2009 Mikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good, light adventure
A very fun romp, from start to finish. This is exactly the kind of adventure I love to read about -- an unsinkable young hero and his very personable cat, a sweet and funny romance with a spunky young heroine, fantastic new places to visit, circuses and theater troupes and all the colorful characters you could ever want in an adventure like this! I read this ages ago when I was still in grade school, but even now, it still has a place in my heart.
Angela
Mar 25, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun, I enjoyed it
Biblia Fyle
Although Princess Isabel's educated speech and use of wonderful big words and eloquent patterns is a joy to read, Sebastien's character i found a bit boring and unrealistic. Nicholas was predictable and his character not adequately developed, and the theatrical troupe likewise, although Quicksilver has some good insightful lines near the end of the book.

Overall, not my favorite L. Alexander.
Astrid Lim
This book is good if you look for something simple, adventurous, a bit funny, not complicated, no surprises whatsoever, and nice setting/characters. It has everything you need for a decent children book, but doesn't add anything other than that. So don't put your expectation too high, just enjoy the ride with Sebastian :)
Jill
Jun 20, 2011 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this isn't my style of book - it's got the feel of a movie that just needs to be released and watched. the story is fun, there are tons of characters and a variety of scenes and plot twists. in the end the morals are present...but sebastian doesn't stick around to be with his love interest. he's off onto his next adventure.
Seth
Jan 06, 2010 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd Alexander is an excellent storyteller; his prose is excellent and his adventure sequences are fantastic. Though I might not like all the the ins and outs of this story, I definitely enjoyed the Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian, and was surprised at how those adventures ended.
Shauna
Feb 03, 2011 Shauna rated it liked it
I enjoyed this crazy adventure of a bumbling young musician, a spunky princess, a heroic "Captain," and a cursed violin (among other things). I may not have been completely convinced by the romance that develops, but the (mis)adventures were fun and it was a cute little read.
Medina
Enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a fun read full of adventure and intrigue. I wish in the end that Sebastian had taken care of the Regent himself without a supernatural influence but other than that I loved it.
Alyssa
Jul 02, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, children-s
Adorable and well-written, the princess's speech is structured in a way that makes it amusing, yet slightly difficult to understand. I think Presto was my favorite character.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I flat out hate stories that make one thing go wrong after another. This was no different. Every chapter I was waiting for things to work out for him for once!
Blake
Jan 18, 2012 Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. It's nice to read books intended for young people. I'm finding it a welcome respite from life's complications. It might be fun to read again sometime.
Chrisanne
Oct 09, 2010 Chrisanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, five-stars
Only in Alexander's world would a violinist be the hero, the heroine use 6 syllable words as freely as salt, and escape-mobile of choice be a balloon...
K.
Feb 20, 2008 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids and I really enjoyed this book. I think it is appropriate for any age, but Rachael (5) wasn't as interested as Joel (9).
Lexi
Jun 14, 2009 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
30 pts - 10. Rora’s Task – Read A Nominee Or Winner Of The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award From 1971-1991. http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/
Maria
Apr 20, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun adventure, with some though provoking elements. I like most of Alexander's that I've read.
Emily
Aug 27, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty good young adult novel, but it was hard to get through now that I'm in my 20s.
Ki
Mar 05, 2008 Ki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Alexander's best works. A real delight.
  • A Day of Pleasure: Stories of a Boy Growing Up in Warsaw
  • The Night Swimmers
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • Words By Heart
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)
  • Giant Bones
  • Switching Well
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Haunted Attic (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Wizard of Ooze (Ravenspell, #2)
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Sir Lancelot, Where Are You? (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #6)
Lloyd Chudley Alexander (January 30, 1924 - May 17, 2007) was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children's literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King, was awarded the Newbery Medal i ...more
More about Lloyd Alexander...