Start by marking “Second Chance Summer” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  32,663 Ratings  ·  4,138 Reviews
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak.

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance Summer, please sign up.

Emily Amy & Roger is a lot of fun, Second Chance Summer is a lot of emotions, and Since You've Been Gone is a lot of adventure. I'd recommend Since…moreAmy & Roger is a lot of fun, Second Chance Summer is a lot of emotions, and Since You've Been Gone is a lot of adventure. I'd recommend Since You've Been Gone for your first :)(less)
Sabrina Taylor Edwards, Gelsey Edwards, Warren Edwards, Mr and Mrs Edwards, Henry Crosby, Lucy Marino

Ellie

My brother opened the door of my room to find me in a sea of kleenexes, sobbing and crying my eyes out more or less like this. (But probably I was worse, I'm the ugliest cryer in the world. Seriously.)
He blinked, saw the book in my hands and blinked again.
He didn't say a word, just closed the door very quietly and walked away even more quietly.

I think I actually scared him.

---EDIT---

My brother opened the door of my room to find me jumping on the bed and screaming like a banshee "OMG I can't beli
Zoë
Apr 23, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch my interview with Morgan Matson here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqHE...

I have a headache, a runny nose, I can't read the computer screen because my eyes are swollen, and my shirt is sopping wet from tears, so that can pretty much tell you everything right there.
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
I don't usually cry when I read books but man this one got to me. Another great read by Morgan Matson!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Apr 20, 2016 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read this month that has just completely shattered me. 3 Full video review to come!
Maureen
Jul 25, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Reread May 25-30 for #monthofmatson

Well my nose is currently stuffed up from crying so hard if that gives you any idea of how I feel right now. I really love Taylor's journey throughout this book and it's just great even though SO MUCH CRYING

Reread June 14-15 for #MonthOfMatson.

WELL this book always manages to make me ugly cry in a way few books can. I love all the characters in this book, and I feel like everyone can relate with Taylor in some way or another. I definitely have run away from ma
April (Aprilius Maximus)
EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB OVER HERE OK BYE
Whitney Atkinson
Tissue count: 3

This book took me forever to read. It dragged a bit, which I felt was unusual because I flew through Matson's 2 other books. Although I did enjoy this one and it was definitely summery and made me wish I had a lake house, I'm really tired of Matson only writing about shy girls who never speak their mind or have confidence. It was really irritating in this book, moreso than her other two, and I found myself unable to relate to-- or enjoying reading about-- the characters. The entir
Cait (Paper Fury)
I'm really surprised this book and I didn't get along! But...I was so bored, reading the ingredients for tinned pineapple would've been more interesting than this. (Believe it or not, there is actually more incredigents in tinned pineapple than just pineapple. Makes one wonder...hmm. BUT I DIGRESS.) I really loved Since You've Been Gone (apart from where I have to sing the song in my head every time I say the title) and I was surprised that this just did NOT work for me.

Lemme break down why I w
Norah Una Sumner
This novel hit a little too close to home. I feel like not everyone will understand Taylor but I just... I just felt like I was reading about myself. But she's not a particularly strong character here? Exactly.

For me she was a strong one. Honestly, I love reading about strong female characters who don't give a shit about what other people think and who represent empowerment. Now, what I want to ask you is: "Do you feel like you're like that every single moment of your life?" I don't think so. It
Jenna
Jan 21, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
OF COURSE I FINISH THIS ON FATHER'S DAY
GAH

Edit: I am not afraid to admit that I cry a lot. It's a habit that I haven't been able to shake from when I was the baby of the family and I never got my way. Now, it's mostly at movies and at books that just stab you in the heart and twist. I cry, but it will only be tears streaming down my face and a little sniffle. I can count on one hand how many times a book has made me absolutely BAWL.

Second Chance Summer is one of those books.

sreeja
Nov 28, 2016 sreeja rated it really liked it
honestly, the 12y/o version of the mc manages to have more of a love life than I probably will ever have (considering mine is non-existent).
This book managed to make me cry more than the opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy (yes, I cry everytime?? IDEK why) which is like a lot.
ALSO I have no idea why I picked it up when December is going to start and summer is clearly eons away. This was such a summery and beautiful read that it made me all kinds of warm and happy on the inside anyway. M
Shannon (leaninglights)
Not sure how, but this was even better the second time around. It's now my fave Morgan book. Tears but such a good story. All YA contemporary needs to take a page from Morgan's book. She's gold. Loving #monthofmatson, even though I'm carrying it into June ;P
Jenny
Oct 11, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I was sitting on a bus and I was trying VERY hard not to cry.
Pinky
Aug 01, 2014 Pinky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
When I picked this book up, I was expecting it to be a fun, happy read. But it wasn't and I wasn't expecting it to be so sad and depressing. I still loved the book and enjoyed the whole reading experience but I was not expecting what I read.

Taylor Edwards is forced to cancel all her plans for the summer after her family discover horrible news about Taylor's dad. Instead of a summer packed with clubs and other things, Taylor's parents decided that they should visit their old lake house in Pocon
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Mar 08, 2016 Jillian (bookishandnerdy) rated it it was amazing
"It wasn't until now, when every day I had with my father was suddenly numbered, that I realized just how precious they had been. A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted -- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more."

An incredible story about second chances, loss and grief, and finding the courage you always knew you had. Morgan Matson is a master at highlighting the big moments that most everyone will probably go through in life and pinpointing the little mo
Jennifer Ellision
Posted to Almost Grown-up:

WARNING: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson is NSFW. That is… Not Safe For Work. And it’s not due to the usual reasons that things are deemed NSFW. Nope, no gratuitous sex in THIS incredible book. Second Chance Summer is of the ugly-crying NSFW variety. But we will get to that. I promise.

Earlier chapters of Second Chance Summer may not be sob-inducing, but they pulled at my heart an equal amount.

And there are a variety of reasons for that.

First of all, there’s Morgan
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jan 01, 2014 Shannon (leaninglights) rated it it was amazing
I can't process my feelings about this book right now. I have never cried harder in my life reading a book. Granted, this is largely in part due to circumstances in the book paralleling circumstances in my own life, but I can't see how this book wouldn't move each and every person who picks it up.
I'll admit: there was a moment in this book around the halfway mark where I was worried it was going to be my least favorite MM book and that I might actually give it 4 stars *GASP* The book had the hu
Pearl Angeli
Second Chance Summer

“The thing is that people only get hurt—really hurt—when they’re trying to play it safe. That’s when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they’re scared. They hurt themselves and other people.”

A heart-felt, beautiful tale about family drama, childhood romance, and friendship that will pull your emotions.

It's my first time reading a book written by Morgan Matson, and I could say that she's one of a kind. The first few lines of the book already told me that the aut
alexandra
Jun 15, 2015 alexandra rated it liked it
3.5/5 ♡ second chance summer was a story of beginnings and endings.

of all the morgan matson books, this novel is probably my least favorite. not because i didn't like it or anything, i just felt there could've been more. taylor, the main character, wasn't my favorite because i couldn't clearly see her. given her situation, it's understandable to be emotionally distraught, but even after finishing the book i still don't really know who she is? some of her actions were also SO frustrating.

although
★Jasmine☆ [HIATUS]
Henry just stared at me, and I looked back into his green eyes, feeling the sudden urge to break into hysterical laughter, because it was beginning to seem like I couldn't turn around in Lake Phoenix without running into him.

Second Chance Summer is a book that'll give you the courage you need when trying to stand up after falling; it'll give you the strength you need when defeated by the God of Life; it'll also give you the permission you need when following your heart.

Second Chance Summer is
Lora
Apr 10, 2011 Lora marked it as maybe
Shelves: lib-to-read
happy dog

I couldn't be any more happy right now if I were that dog. It has a synopsis and a title and a release date! Now all we need is a cover.
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
May 05, 2016 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this book. It brought my own memories of summers long past where my family and my best friend's family would go camping every summer. We'd always meet so many interesting kids there.

I thought the main character was heartbreaking and annoying and flawed and realistic. Just like a teenager should be. I felt her pain through and through.

Even though this book was devastating it just made me want to appreciate my friends and family more.
Glass
Absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking story.
Fenia
Aug 12, 2013 Fenia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I signed up for a summer read and instead i got a brilliant,funny,heartbreaking,thought provoking book! Morgan Matson has become one of my favourite writers. Her characters are so relate-able. at least for me. ♥

Taylor was such a real character. She was scared and afraid and selfish..but also somehow she was the most selfless protagonist i've read in a while. Her dad. OMG. Best 'book dad' EVERRRR. And Henry...i just cant. FEELS ALL OVER THE PLACE. THIS BOOKS GAVE SO MANY FEELS.

I would've finish
Whitney
May 08, 2016 Whitney rated it it was amazing
It is 3 AM.

Tissues are everywhere.

I AM A MESS.
Reynje
Something about Second Chance Summer felt familiar to me as I read, but it wasn’t until I was about two thirds of the way through that I realised what it was: it felt somewhat Dessen-esque.

Both thematically and stylistically, Matson’s writing reminds me of Sarah Dessen’s, albeit slightly less verbose. Matson’s novel centres around her protagonist, Taylor, coming to terms with some devastating news for her family, accompanied by a subplot around rekindling childhood friendship and romance. It’s a
Ali
Aug 03, 2015 Ali rated it it was amazing
Oh my... This book was an emotional rollercoaster. The beginning was kinda slow but once the storyline picked up it got really really good. Such a cute summer read!
Fafa's Book Corner
Nov 29, 2015 Fafa's Book Corner rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Last year when I read Matson's book Amy and Roger's Epic Detour I fell in love with the author! I decided to read every book that she's written. Hence my reading this book. And I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

The book begins with Taylor trying to escape her house. She runs into her sister and brother before finally getting away. When she's out of her house she sees a neighbor and the two talk. And she realizes that she will likely g
Laurence
Dec 03, 2014 Laurence rated it it was amazing
I AM SUCH A MESS RIGHT NOW. It's even worse than my first time reading it, because I made the mistake of reading it while I was wearing makeup.
Amber Robertson
“The Dip didn’t faze me anymore—it wasn’t until I’d coasted down it and crested up the other side that I looked back and realized how far I’d come.”

My initial feelings after finishing Second Chance Summer was the fact I was crying way too hard to even understand why I was. I wrote the quick review and went to sleep vowing to ring my mum tomorrow and tell her how much I love her, I do call her every day, though.

“That I was staying, that maybe for the first time ever, I hadn’t gone running a
What should I read? 4 12 Dec 31, 2016 06:53AM
love life and death 1 4 Nov 26, 2016 02:39PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Second Chance Summer By Morgan Matson - Starting July 17th 2016 6 12 Jul 19, 2016 11:54AM
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (NON SPOILER) 4 26 Aug 20, 2015 09:29PM
YA Book Gang!!: * August 2015 - Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson 2 15 Jul 30, 2015 05:20AM
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (SPOILERS) 10 35 Jun 24, 2015 10:01PM
  • In Honor
  • The Story of Us
  • The Thing About the Truth
  • Pieces of Us
  • The Book of Broken Hearts
Morgan Matson grew up in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. She attended Occidental College in Los Angeles but halfway though a theater degree, she started working in the children's department of Vroman's Bookstore and fell in love with YA literature.

Following college graduation (and the proud bearer of an incredibly useful theater/English degree) she moved back East to attend the New Schoo
More about Morgan Matson...

“A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.” 638 likes
“And I’ve realized that the Beatles got it wrong. Love isn’t all we need—love is all there is.” 337 likes