Start by marking “Second Chance Summer” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  24,198 ratings  ·  2,795 reviews
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak.

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along justfine.ThenTaylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance Summer, please sign up.

Sabrina Styles Taylor Edwards, Gelsey Edwards, Warren Edwards, Mr and Mrs Edwards, Henry Crosby, Lucy Marino
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberPushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
2012 YA Contemporaries
9th out of 294 books — 2,599 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
7th out of 214 books — 1,320 voters

More lists with this book...

My brother opened the door of my room to find me in a sea of kleenexes, sobbing and crying my eyes out more or less like this. (But probably I was worse, I'm the ugliest cryer in the world. Seriously.)
He blinked, saw the book in my hands and blinked again.
He didn't say a word, just closed the door very quietly and walked away even more quietly.

I think I actually scared him.

My brother opened the door of my room to find me jumping on the bed and screaming like a banshee "OMG I can't beli
Zoë (readbyzoe)
I have a headache, a runny nose, I can't read the computer screen because my eyes are swollen, and my shirt is sopping wet from tears, so that can pretty much tell you everything right there.
4.5 stars!
Whitney Atkinson
Tissue count: 3

This book took me forever to read. It dragged a bit, which I felt was unusual because I flew through Matson's 2 other books. Although I did enjoy this one and it was definitely summery and made me wish I had a lake house, I'm really tired of Matson only writing about shy girls who never speak their mind or have confidence. It was really irritating in this book, moreso than her other two, and I found myself unable to relate to-- or enjoying reading about-- the characters. The entir

Edit: I am not afraid to admit that I cry a lot. It's a habit that I haven't been able to shake from when I was the baby of the family and I never got my way. Now, it's mostly at movies and at books that just stab you in the heart and twist. I cry, but it will only be tears streaming down my face and a little sniffle. I can count on one hand how many times a book has made me absolutely BAWL.

Second Chance Summer is one of those books.

Second Chance Summer
Reread June 14-15 for #MonthOfMatson.

WELL this book always manages to make me ugly cry in a way few books can. I love all the characters in this book, and I feel like everyone can relate with Taylor in some way or another. I definitely have run away from many of my problems when I shouldn't have!
Morgan Matson is the contemporary queen in my eyes, and this book is just another addition to a fantastic repertoire. Love me a good summer lake house contemporary always!
Time to go drink a lot of water
I was sitting on a bus and I was trying VERY hard not to cry.
When I picked this book up, I was expecting it to be a fun, happy read. But it wasn't and I wasn't expecting it to be so sad and depressing. I still loved the book and enjoyed the whole reading experience but I was not expecting what I read.

Taylor Edwards is forced to cancel all her plans for the summer after her family discover horrible news about Taylor's dad. Instead of a summer packed with clubs and other things, Taylor's parents decided that they should visit their old lake house in Pocon
Jennifer Ellision
Posted to Almost Grown-up:

WARNING: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson is NSFW. That is… Not Safe For Work. And it’s not due to the usual reasons that things are deemed NSFW. Nope, no gratuitous sex in THIS incredible book. Second Chance Summer is of the ugly-crying NSFW variety. But we will get to that. I promise.

Earlier chapters of Second Chance Summer may not be sob-inducing, but they pulled at my heart an equal amount.

And there are a variety of reasons for that.

First of all, there’s Morgan
Shannon (leaninglights)
I can't process my feelings about this book right now. I have never cried harder in my life reading a book. Granted, this is largely in part due to circumstances in the book paralleling circumstances in my own life, but I can't see how this book wouldn't move each and every person who picks it up.
I'll admit: there was a moment in this book around the halfway mark where I was worried it was going to be my least favorite MM book and that I might actually give it 4 stars *GASP* The book had the hu
Aug 02, 2011 Lora marked it as maybe
Shelves: lib-to-read
happy dog

I couldn't be any more happy right now if I were that dog. It has a synopsis and a title and a release date! Now all we need is a cover.
Pearl Angeli
Second Chance Summer

“The thing is that people only get hurt—really hurt—when they’re trying to play it safe. That’s when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they’re scared. They hurt themselves and other people.”

A heart-felt, beautiful tale about family drama, childhood romance, and friendship that will pull your emotions.

It's my first time reading a book written by Morgan Matson, and I could say that she's one of a kind. The first few lines of the book already told me that the aut
Something about Second Chance Summer felt familiar to me as I read, but it wasn’t until I was about two thirds of the way through that I realised what it was: it felt somewhat Dessen-esque.

Both thematically and stylistically, Matson’s writing reminds me of Sarah Dessen’s, albeit slightly less verbose. Matson’s novel centres around her protagonist, Taylor, coming to terms with some devastating news for her family, accompanied by a subplot around rekindling childhood friendship and romance. It’s a
I signed up for a summer read and instead i got a brilliant,funny,heartbreaking,thought provoking book! Morgan Matson has become one of my favourite writers. Her characters are so relate-able. at least for me.

Taylor was such a real character. She was scared and afraid and selfish..but also somehow she was the most selfless protagonist i've read in a while. Her dad. OMG. Best 'book dad' EVERRRR. And Henry...i just cant. FEELS ALL OVER THE PLACE. THIS BOOKS GAVE SO MANY FEELS.

I would've finishe
Oh my... This book was an emotional rollercoaster. The beginning was kinda slow but once the storyline picked up it got really really good. Such a cute summer read!
4.5 ish stars (definitely above average--I don't think the description does this book a lot of favors, as it kind of makes it sound like a kissing book, but it's really a book about family and love and friendship)

Not sure how to rate this one. It was incredibly good.And even though I knew from the beginning how it would end (read the book description), it still made me cry. Morgan Matson develops settings as well as Sarah Ockler does. The problem is that Amy & Roger (Matson's debut) is one
Melannie :)
Aug 10, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read

Summer. Vacation homes. Family. Old friends. Reconecting. Loooooove.

I need!

Morgan Matson is the queen of summer contemporaries. The end.
This was my first Morgan Matson read and let me tell you, I most certainly was not disappointed. This book dealt with loss in the best way possible and I felt what the main character was feeling, was experiencing. When she was sad, I was sad, when she was happy, I was happy and I love it when I can connect so completely to a character.

The writing was just so well done, the atmosphere of this book was so calm and tranquil but so utterly devastating and heartbreaking at the same time. You are neve
Sahana D
When broken down, this book seems to have a lot of the things i usually love and look for in YA fiction novels (looove revisiting childhood crushes). I just dont think the author did anything with them - ya feel me?

take: the "quirky" family
the main character had a genius 19 year old brother with photographic memory. he was obsessed with the origins of things and is lacking basic social skills. That's all there was to him. those are perhaps faucets of his personality and idiosyncrasies but not hi
Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

After falling in love with Amy and Roger's Epic Detour last year, I've been anxiously awaiting Second Chance Summer and am over the moon that it managed to exceed my expectations. I'm in awe at how connected I was to the characters and felt every single emotion they were feeling. I cried too many tears while reading this book, during moments that probably didn't even warrant them, and was blown away by the depth Matson created with her layered stor
Jamie-leigh Haughn

This book was seriously so good, this is the first book to EVER make me cry... and not just a few tears. I bawled like a little baby, just tears everywhere. This book gave me so many feelings, it was a roller coaster. I knew going into the book that it was going to be sad but I am shocked at the effect it had on me. Morgan Matson has quickly become one of my all time favourite authors, she is an auto read for me. The characters in this book were so relatable and I felt everythi
I cried an ugly, ugly cry throughout the final 50 pages of this book. It's been so long since a book has touched me so strongly, even in spite of the predictability that comes with all dramas, and I guess it all just came together to knock me out in the best - and worst - possible way. I highly and wholeheartedly recommend this book, and hope that soon I'll be able to read another book of Matson's that affects me just as deeply.
Morgan Matson has done it again!! I have absolutely loved every single one of her books so far and I can't wait to read all of her future works. I love the way she crafts characters and how she develops them and the relationships her characters have.
I thought that the ending of this book was very satisfying and I absolutely adored Taylor's character development :)
Good Golly Miss Holly
Beware: This one is a total tearjerker! With all the makings for an easygoing summer read, Second Chance Summer manages to be all that and more when the death of a family member is thrown in the mix. Surprisingly, this made the novel all the more believable and actually pushed it over the edge to a five star novel for me.

I was one of the few who didn't really see the amazing winning quality of Morgan Matson's debut novel but I'm glad to say Second Chance Summer is much more to my reading tastes.
4.5 cry-me-a-lake starts
I have to admit that I don't enjoy much at the beginning because this book is a bit slow ( not a bit but SO slow)
BUT, it become better and better and I LOVE it!
I can related to Taylor as I tend to runaway when I face difficulties too @@
When I was reading the last 15%, I cried so much... Especially Taylor's Dad letter, it made me cry like a river...
This book is not just about romance, but also about family and courage. I really recommend it to all of you 'cause the cha
Sue (YAHollywood)
It was enjoyable, but nothing extraordinary or groundbreaking. If there's one thing I noticed after reading most of Morgan Matson's books, she is very good at story telling, but the long list of nonsensical paragraphs and lackluster flashbacks tend to dissuade me.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
From the Final Thoughts portion of my review:

Second Chance Summer is one of the best books I’ve read. Period. It’s hard for me to keep my emotions out of my recommendation but I promise you that you will become absolutely absorbed in Taylor’s story. I PROMISE you this story is not all sad, despite my very emotional letter above. It’s a beautiful and moving story, set at at a summer lake house, that’s about love, friendship, family and second chances — not just about a girl whose dad is sick. Ma
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (NON SPOILER) 4 15 Aug 20, 2015 09:29PM
YA Book Gang!!: * August 2015 - Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson 2 11 Jul 30, 2015 05:20AM
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (SPOILERS) 10 19 Jun 24, 2015 10:01PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 9-16 3 17 Jun 19, 2015 02:38PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 1-8 3 23 Jun 19, 2015 02:35PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 33-40 2 16 Jun 12, 2015 02:39PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 25-32 2 11 Jun 12, 2015 11:13AM
  • In Honor
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • Bittersweet
  • The Story of Us
  • Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1)
  • What Happens Next
  • Thou Shalt Not Road Trip
  • The Waiting Sky
  • Speechless
  • Keep Holding On
Morgan Matson grew up in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. She attended Occidental College in Los Angeles but halfway though a theater degree, she started working in the children's department of Vroman's Bookstore and fell in love with YA literature.

Following college graduation (and the proud bearer of an incredibly useful theater/English degree) she moved back East to attend the New Schoo
More about Morgan Matson...
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour Since You've Been Gone The Unexpected Everything Desde que te fuiste

“A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.” 481 likes
“And I’ve realized that the Beatles got it wrong. Love isn’t all we need—love is all there is.” 280 likes