Start by marking “Second Chance Summer” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  22,003 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak.

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along justfine.ThenTaylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance Summer, please sign up.

Sabrina Styles Taylor Edwards, Gelsey Edwards, Warren Edwards, Mr and Mrs Edwards, Henry Crosby, Lucy Marino
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberPushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
2012 YA Contemporaries
9th out of 293 books — 2,586 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
7th out of 213 books — 1,313 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellie

My brother opened the door of my room to find me in a sea of kleenexes, sobbing and crying my eyes out more or less like this. (But probably I was worse, I'm the ugliest cryer in the world. Seriously.)
He blinked, saw the book in my hands and blinked again.
He didn't say a word, just closed the door very quietly and walked away even more quietly.

I think I actually scared him.

---EDIT---

My brother opened the door of my room to find me jumping on the bed and screaming like a banshee "OMG I can't beli
Zoë (readbyzoe)
I have a headache, a runny nose, I can't read the computer screen because my eyes are swollen, and my shirt is sopping wet from tears, so that can pretty much tell you everything right there.
Jenna
OF COURSE I FINISH THIS ON FATHER'S DAY
GAH

Edit: I am not afraid to admit that I cry a lot. It's a habit that I haven't been able to shake from when I was the baby of the family and I never got my way. Now, it's mostly at movies and at books that just stab you in the heart and twist. I cry, but it will only be tears streaming down my face and a little sniffle. I can count on one hand how many times a book has made me absolutely BAWL.

Second Chance Summer is one of those books.

Maureen
Reread June 14-15 for #MonthOfMatson.

WELL this book always manages to make me ugly cry in a way few books can. I love all the characters in this book, and I feel like everyone can relate with Taylor in some way or another. I definitely have run away from many of my problems when I shouldn't have!
Morgan Matson is the contemporary queen in my eyes, and this book is just another addition to a fantastic repertoire. Love me a good summer lake house contemporary always!
Time to go drink a lot of water
Shannon (leaninglights)
I can't process my feelings about this book right now. I have never cried harder in my life reading a book. Granted, this is largely in part due to circumstances in the book paralleling circumstances in my own life, but I can't see how this book wouldn't move each and every person who picks it up.
I'll admit: there was a moment in this book around the halfway mark where I was worried it was going to be my least favorite MM book and that I might actually give it 4 stars *GASP* The book had the hu
Lora
Aug 02, 2011 Lora marked it as maybe
Shelves: lib-to-read
happy dog

I couldn't be any more happy right now if I were that dog. It has a synopsis and a title and a release date! Now all we need is a cover.
Jenny
I was sitting on a bus and I was trying VERY hard not to cry.
Jennifer Ellision
Posted to Almost Grown-up:

WARNING: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson is NSFW. That is… Not Safe For Work. And it’s not due to the usual reasons that things are deemed NSFW. Nope, no gratuitous sex in THIS incredible book. Second Chance Summer is of the ugly-crying NSFW variety. But we will get to that. I promise.

Earlier chapters of Second Chance Summer may not be sob-inducing, but they pulled at my heart an equal amount.

And there are a variety of reasons for that.

First of all, there’s Morgan
Reynje
Something about Second Chance Summer felt familiar to me as I read, but it wasn’t until I was about two thirds of the way through that I realised what it was: it felt somewhat Dessen-esque.

Both thematically and stylistically, Matson’s writing reminds me of Sarah Dessen’s, albeit slightly less verbose. Matson’s novel centres around her protagonist, Taylor, coming to terms with some devastating news for her family, accompanied by a subplot around rekindling childhood friendship and romance. It’s a
Pearl Angeli
Second Chance Summer

“The thing is that people only get hurt—really hurt—when they’re trying to play it safe. That’s when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they’re scared. They hurt themselves and other people.”

A heart-felt, beautiful tale about family drama, childhood romance, and friendship that will pull your emotions.

It's my first time reading a book written by Morgan Matson, and I could say that she's one of a kind. The first few lines of the book already told me that the aut
4.5 ish stars (definitely above average--I don't think the description does this book a lot of favors, as it kind of makes it sound like a kissing book, but it's really a book about family and love and friendship)

Not sure how to rate this one. It was incredibly good.And even though I knew from the beginning how it would end (read the book description), it still made me cry. Morgan Matson develops settings as well as Sarah Ockler does. The problem is that Amy & Roger (Matson's debut) is one
Melannie :)
Aug 10, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
AWWWWWWWWW! <3

Summer. Vacation homes. Family. Old friends. Reconecting. Loooooove.

I need!

Sahana D
When broken down, this book seems to have a lot of the things i usually love and look for in YA fiction novels (looove revisiting childhood crushes). I just dont think the author did anything with them - ya feel me?

take: the "quirky" family
the main character had a genius 19 year old brother with photographic memory. he was obsessed with the origins of things and is lacking basic social skills. That's all there was to him. those are perhaps faucets of his personality and idiosyncrasies but not hi
Lisa
Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

After falling in love with Amy and Roger's Epic Detour last year, I've been anxiously awaiting Second Chance Summer and am over the moon that it managed to exceed my expectations. I'm in awe at how connected I was to the characters and felt every single emotion they were feeling. I cried too many tears while reading this book, during moments that probably didn't even warrant them, and was blown away by the depth Matson created with her layered stor
Sheema
This was my first Morgan Matson read and let me tell you, I most certainly was not disappointed. This book dealt with loss in the best way possible and I felt what the main character was feeling, was experiencing. When she was sad, I was sad, when she was happy, I was happy and I love it when I can connect so completely to a character.

The writing was just so well done, the atmosphere of this book was so calm and tranquil but so utterly devastating and heartbreaking at the same time. You are neve
Jamie-leigh Haughn
MY EMOTIONS!!!!!!

This book was seriously so good, this is the first book to EVER make me cry... and not just a few tears. I bawled like a little baby, just tears everywhere. This book gave me so many feelings, it was a roller coaster. I knew going into the book that it was going to be sad but I am shocked at the effect it had on me. Morgan Matson has quickly become one of my all time favourite authors, she is an auto read for me. The characters in this book were so relatable and I felt everythi
Good Golly Miss Holly
Beware: This one is a total tearjerker! With all the makings for an easygoing summer read, Second Chance Summer manages to be all that and more when the death of a family member is thrown in the mix. Surprisingly, this made the novel all the more believable and actually pushed it over the edge to a five star novel for me.

I was one of the few who didn't really see the amazing winning quality of Morgan Matson's debut novel but I'm glad to say Second Chance Summer is much more to my reading tastes.
Sophie
Morgan Matson has done it again!! I have absolutely loved every single one of her books so far and I can't wait to read all of her future works. I love the way she crafts characters and how she develops them and the relationships her characters have.
I thought that the ending of this book was very satisfying and I absolutely adored Taylor's character development :)
Alyssa
I cried an ugly, ugly cry throughout the final 50 pages of this book. It's been so long since a book has touched me so strongly, even in spite of the predictability that comes with all dramas, and I guess it all just came together to knock me out in the best - and worst - possible way. I highly and wholeheartedly recommend this book, and hope that soon I'll be able to read another book of Matson's that affects me just as deeply.
Icy Wong
4.5 cry-me-a-lake starts
I have to admit that I don't enjoy much at the beginning because this book is a bit slow ( not a bit but SO slow)
BUT, it become better and better and I LOVE it!
I can related to Taylor as I tend to runaway when I face difficulties too @@
When I was reading the last 15%, I cried so much... Especially Taylor's Dad letter, it made me cry like a river...
This book is not just about romance, but also about family and courage. I really recommend it to all of you 'cause the cha
Sue (YAHollywood)
It was enjoyable, but nothing extraordinary or groundbreaking. If there's one thing I noticed after reading most of Morgan Matson's books, she is very good at story telling, but the long list of nonsensical paragraphs and lackluster flashbacks tend to dissuade me.
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Jan 13, 2015 Giselle at Book Nerd Canada marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012
I'm waiting until this goes on BookOutlet, then it'll be mine. Love her writing
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
From the Final Thoughts portion of my review:

Second Chance Summer is one of the best books I’ve read. Period. It’s hard for me to keep my emotions out of my recommendation but I promise you that you will become absolutely absorbed in Taylor’s story. I PROMISE you this story is not all sad, despite my very emotional letter above. It’s a beautiful and moving story, set at at a summer lake house, that’s about love, friendship, family and second chances — not just about a girl whose dad is sick. Ma
Michelle
I find it extremely difficult to write 5-star reviews, mostly because I think the 5-stars tells you what you need to know--I laughed and cried and aww'd and felt for the characters and want to shove the book at unsuspecting readers in the YA section of the bookstore so that they, too, can fall in love with the story. But this is my attempting to write a review of this book since it deserves one for being so wonderfully awesome.

It's no secret that I love Morgan Matson's writing. I mean, finding A
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

'A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.'

Second Chance Summer, summarised in one word could possibly be emotive. Packed with varying degrees of emotional states from the main character and to us readers, Matson's story unravels essentially to be a summer of second chances at love, friendship and family connections. A pleasing novel- which I'll admit, got a few tears at t
Belle
3.5 stars.

I decided to take Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson on my honeymoon because I loved its predecessor, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour ; plus from the title and adorable cover it seemed like the perfect beach read. I was wrong. For me, a beach read needs to be easy and fun - and while this was an easy read, and fun at times, it was also quite harrowing. Crying into my cocktail was not exactly what I had planned for my honeymoon.

It's my own fault, really. I should have stopped reading a
Selma

Morgan Matson did it again ,she broke my heart to pieces and glued it back together!!
She is Queen of ya comtemporary
Aly∞
Jul 24, 2014 Aly∞ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sarah Dessen fans
Recommended to Aly∞ by: Goodreads
Shelves: ya, tearful, summer, sad, romance
Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

I'm not sure where my problem with this book stemmed from. With a 4.13 star average, over 15,000 four/five star ratings, and a family feel to the blurb, this book is supposed to be right up my alley.

In truth, this book annoyed and upset me a lot. I couldn't quite wrap my head around the fact that Taylor's main problem was that
Mark

This surprisingly turned out to be a good book! The beginning of the book was very slow and boring, but after about 200 pages this began to be really enjoyable. The main character was pretty annoying through out the whole book, but got better towards the ending.
The part of this book I enjoyed the most was definitely the family and friends aspect. Taylor's family and friends really grew on me and the ending broke my heart. I mean it was pretty predictable (you can probably guess it from
Vicki
Perhaps I am one of the biggest cry babies in the history of avid readers, and this book gripped my heart from the get-go. I choked up, I teared up, tears fell softly down my face, and yes, I even bawled. This story hit home for me, so I didn't stand a chance from the start.

Taylor is a young girl whose father has recently been given only a few months to live, so her family decides to go to the lake house that they haven't been to for five years. Taylor, however, balks at the idea of going becaus
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (SPOILERS) 10 13 Jun 24, 2015 10:01PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 9-16 3 15 Jun 19, 2015 02:38PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 1-8 3 21 Jun 19, 2015 02:35PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 33-40 2 15 Jun 12, 2015 02:39PM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 25-32 2 11 Jun 12, 2015 11:13AM
#MONTHOFMATSON: Chapters 17-24 2 12 Jun 10, 2015 02:40PM
The Novel Bunch: SECOND CHANCE SUMMER DISCUSSION (NON SPOILER) 3 12 Jun 02, 2015 04:21AM
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • In Honor
  • Getting Over Garrett Delaney
  • Kiss the Morning Star
  • The Story of Us
  • First Comes Love (First Comes Love, #1)
  • What Happens Next
  • The Disenchantments
  • Pieces of Us
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • Send Me a Sign
  • From What I Remember...
  • Smart Girls Get What They Want
  • The Survival Kit
  • Breathe, Annie, Breathe
  • Take a Bow
  • If I Lie
  • Something like Normal
Morgan Matson grew up in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. She attended Occidental College in Los Angeles but halfway though a theater degree, she started working in the children's department of Vroman's Bookstore and fell in love with YA literature.

Following college graduation (and the proud bearer of an incredibly useful theater/English degree) she moved back East to attend the New Schoo
More about Morgan Matson...
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour Since You've Been Gone The Unexpected Everything

“A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.” 439 likes
“And I’ve realized that the Beatles got it wrong. Love isn’t all we need—love is all there is.” 262 likes