Start by marking “Just One Catch: A Biography of Joseph Heller” as Want to Read:
Just One Catch: A Biography of Joseph Heller

Just One Catch: A Biography of Joseph Heller

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In time for the50th anniversary of Catch-22, Tracy Daugherty, the critically acclaimed author of Hiding Man (a New Yorker and New York Times Notable book),illuminates his mostvital subject yet in this first biography ofJoseph Heller.

Joseph Heller was a Coney Island kid, the son of Russian immigrants, who went on to great fame and fortune. His most memorable novel took its
Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Just One Catch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just One Catch

Jeff Bursey
A lot of "and then" kind of narration, with no central thesis that gives the reason behind writing this biography. Some lacklustre writing. But lots of quotes and research, and interviews. If someone is looking for information on Heller, Daugherty provides it.
Fred Moramarco
I don't think I've ever learned more about a writer's work from reading a biography as I have from
Tracy Daugherty's "Just One Catch," the first lengthy account of Joseph Heller's life (other than his own guarded memoir) we have. As I write this, another book about Heller by his daughter Erica is about to be published, and that inside look at growing up in the Heller family is likely to supplement this more academic study. But Daugherty is especially good at relating events of Heller's life to th
Jenny Brown
An excellent biography, very well researched and insightful that gives the reader enough information to make her own judgements about its subject. It does a good job of treating its subject in an evenhanded manner, making him come alive, and giving the reader sympathy for him despite his embodying so many of the worst characteristics of self-centered, chauvinistic Jewish men of his generation.

Those of us who write novels and whose idea of a "modest advance" is not the $750,000 that Heller receiv
Bill Daniels
Heller's masterpiece is one of the armful of the best books I ever read. When I read "Catch-22" when I read it in high in the mid-sixties, I had no way of knowing it would prepare me for Vietnam. I will always remember of the young woman who slipped the blue covered paperback fondly.

This "literary biography" gave me some insight of the life experience that molded the genius that wrote a book that shaped me so much.
Gringoire
Well written bio that will lead to more books. Great look at Heller and his place in time.
Nancy
A well researched and interesting biography. Daugherty gives readers a close up look at Heller's life, covering both his genius and his flaws. I'd envisioned Heller based only on Catch-22, not thinking of his life as an older man. I did not realize he had written a number of other books that explore completely different topics and other life stages.
Frederic
Very good overview of Heller's life and work with a minimum of psychological mumbo-jumbo and most of the emphasis on the work and critical response to it...decent,unpretentious Basic Biography...and it is sending me back to re-read the post-"Catch-22" novels which I may have undervalued on first reading...
Erik

Rather than write a brief blurb here, I'll post a link to my review of the book on an external website, if anyone is interested:

Judy
A good biography of Heller. He was a complicated person, whose best work was probably Catch-22.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sam Mills
Sam Mills marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Tonir
Tonir marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
John Schachter
John Schachter marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Pedro
Pedro added it
Jul 30, 2014
Carol Rushing
Carol Rushing marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Akshay Chalana
Akshay Chalana marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Nebil Ibrahim
Nebil Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Matthew Germenis
Matthew Germenis marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
She's Stacked (Jo-Anne) marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Gale Albright
Gale Albright marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Just one catch: A biography of Joseph Heller 1 2 Aug 25, 2011 01:21PM
Hiding Man: A Biography of Donald Barthelme One Day the Wind Changed: Stories It Takes a Worried Man: Stories Axeman's Jazz: A Novel What Falls Away