The Whale and the Supercomputer: On the Northern Front of Climate Change

The Whale and the Supercomputer: On the Northern Front of Climate Change

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Scientists and natives wrestle with our changing climate in the land where it has hit first--and hardest
A traditional Eskimo whale-hunting party races to shore near Barrow, Alaska--their comrades trapped on a floe drifting out to sea--as ice that should be solid this time of year gives way. Elsewhere, a team of scientists transverses the tundra, sleeping in tents, survivi...more
Published April 21st 2004 by North Point Press

To ask other readers questions about The Whale and the Supercomputer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whale and the Supercomputer

Kurt
I was sure I would love this book because of the subject matter. The author reports on the efforts of numerous scientists who are studying climate change in the field where it is happening most dramatically -- the arctic, especially Alaska. He also reports on how climate change is adversely affecting the native people who live there and who rely on a relatively stable climate or at least somewhat predictable weather cycles and patterns in order to sustain their centuries-old way of life. These t...more
Brooke
A bit long in the baleen (yes I went there) but an overall very interesting read. Perhaps science and archaeology geeks would appreciate what I felt was just a bit too much information, but ultimately I did appreciate the point he finally makes--actually he never blatantly states his conclusion, but you should be able to figure it out. Lots of interesting science and climate change related stuffs.
M Grant
Scattered and unfocused, bouncing between colloquial stories, fact and research interspersed with anecdote and filler. Wasn't impressed, enjoyed some of the stories, but it was not as good as I hoped it would be. Could have used a great editor or college professor to focus this project a little more.
Erica
this book ranged from brilliant to rambly and tangential, and at times it seemed like wohlforth was trying to tell the complete story of everything, which, i guess, he kind of was--that was the point. i appreciated his telling of the story of arctic climate science, not just the results, and he effectively communicated just how complicated this process is, and at times, how mindnumbingly dull.
Katie
This book is about a tribe in Barrow, AK (Northernmost point in AK) who partake in subsistence hunting of marine mammals, specifically bowhead whales, to feed their village. It's interesting to read about their culture, how they depend on the food they get from these whales and how climate change is starting to take it's toll on the whales, the people, and the safety of the hunt.
Leonard Pierce
I read this when it first came out, and was really impressed with it. Wohlforth's writing reminds me a lot of Peter Matthiessen's, and it's a valuable read insofar as it takes you to a place where severe climate change isn't a possibility, a threat or an abstraction, but a daily reality.
Weavre
I like this book, and am going to have to check it out again when it's hot outside. It's interesting, informative, and full of really cold situations! I just can't stick with it in February, but suspect I'll love it in August. :)
Kerry O'Connor
cool book which shows very explicitly how the scientific method and intuitive knowledge each are necessary.

Linda
Linda is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Mika Kennedy
Mika Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Robert Hellie
Robert Hellie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Danka
Danka marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Jax
Jax marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Runic244
Runic244 marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Chhavi Goenka
Chhavi Goenka is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2014
Justin Moodie
Justin Moodie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Fate of Nature: Rediscovering Our Ability to Rescue the Earth Alaska for Dummies Frommer's Alaska 2008 Frommer's Alaska 2010 Frommer's Alaska 2011

“We are conditioned by the national parks to link beauty and environmental value, a prejudice that makes as much sense as thinking attractive people form better friendships than plain people.” 1 likes