Start by marking “The Seeds of Time” as Want to Read:
The Seeds of Time

The Seeds of Time

Clio Finn is a Dive pilot on a troubled Earth in 2019. Public paranoia about the AIDS virus and its successors has led to the imprisonment of the "subversives" of the society (namely, drug users and gays) in forced labor quarantine camps known as quarries. Meanwhile, Earth itself is dying from a progressive lack of greenery, as the UV irradiation from a successively deplet ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeds of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeds of Time

beth
Feb 19, 2007 beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A space adventure set in the near future with a strong female protagonist. Though it is a decade olde, it includes many contemporary themes, including repercussions of the rise in conservatism and intolerance. I especially liked the idea of "evolved" humans and the nostalgic longing for raspberries. Imagine a world without them and you are in the zone in which this book takes place. Likely interesting only to science fiction fans, but a very good read for them.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminists/fans of time travel fiction
This engrossing, engaging time travel novel features a gifted, principled, self-named female protagonist, Clio Finn – her birth name is never stated throughout the book – who cares deeply for the welfare of others. Moreover, in line with the spirit of choosing her own name, she strives to govern her actions freely, rather than simply according with the attitudes expected and enforced by those in power around her. The book also offers a complex but fully realized and ultimately completely consist ...more
Kristin Lundgren
Seeds of Time is a terrific SF novel for those who are not as concerned with techno-wizardry, but more on sociological, and even ecological concerns. Set in the future on Earth, a break-through has been made in the ability not to do FTL (fast than light) travel, but in time travel. They can go back, but not forward. Th earth is dying. And so dive pilots, as the heroine CLio is, are used to take a ship back in time, away from the earth and any paradoxes that may occur, to a likely planet that wou ...more
StarMan
One of the top 10 sci-fi books I've read in the past couple of years.

It's a space-faring adventure in which a different sort of heroine finds herself in all sorts of trouble while trying to help save a dying Earth. Because Earth does NOT have FTL (Faster-Than-Light) spaceships yet, there's an original way of reaching other worlds, in search of salvation. It's also one of those "Who can I trust?" stories that will keep you guessing throughout.

You get all this:

++ An engrossing tale
++ Great main &
Anastasia
I like this book, but I don't love it. The main character is in turns admirable and frustrating. But that's the realism - you don't typically love people when their bad sides come out.

I enjoyed the first half quite a lot, the second half a lot less, and the end made me want to strangle someone.

As far as dystopian futures go, this one is interesting and believable. The part where I get stuck is that apparently this all happens in 2019, which seems so unrealistic now that it brought me out of the
Amanda
Clio Finn is the best Dive Pilot there is, and she's having trouble getting her job done lately. She might finally be over the hill. But one last mission to save a dying earth beckons, and she jumps on the chance. This mission, to Niana, is one that will change everything...or will it?

I rather liked this book, but I have a penchant for lady badasses in space settings (there's a reason Kira Nerys is my fav Star Trek character bar none). I would say that the development of the world is a bit limit
Mike
Mar 26, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've spent the whole morning reviewing books I've read in the last year and finding in all cases that others have already expressed opinions similar to mine better than I could have said it. I got to Seeds of Time and saw only a few reviews, all short, and thought, "Hey, here's my chance to write a review that might actually be helpful to someone."

But now I'm thinking about it, and I'm not sure what I'd say in addition to even the small handful of reviews already here. The book is fast-paced and
Scott Armitage
Oct 08, 2013 Scott Armitage rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I didn't find the world believable, or the mechanics self-consistent. It was unfortunate the author felt the need to dwell on mysticism and an utterly made-up view of how a multi-dimensional universe may work. For the most part I found the characters disinteresting and the settings mundane.
Verity
Jan 16, 2012 Verity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
A good action/adventure SF. It started on the first page and never let up. I kept thinking that this would make a great movie. There are great plot twists and the plot didn't get predictable till near the end. Once i stated reading I couldn't stop.
Aaron
Jul 24, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read that I stumbled upon by accident. There are a few jumps in the timeline, but it is a great idea, and enjoyable to read.
Esther
Jan 12, 2009 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Sci-Fi book and it would appeal to all readers. I will review this book more thoroughly this weekend.
Cait
Like reading an action movie. Dark, unpredictable, compelling.
Michelle
Oct 15, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Sarah
A good book marred by a poor ending.
Nick Von Hoene
Feb 08, 2012 Nick Von Hoene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, one of the few books that I have read multiple times... excellent idea, well done, amazing first work.
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Irena
Irena rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2011
J.L. Dobias
J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Guenivere
Guenivere rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Karensa
Karensa rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Gil Yoder
Gil Yoder rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Laura rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Armando
Armando rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2012
Mindy
Mindy rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
J'aime
J'aime rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa Paitz
Lisa Paitz rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Maximum Light
  • In the Company of Others
  • Children Of Tomorrow
  • Operation Time Search
  • The Crystal Eye (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #3)
  • The Spheres of Heaven
  • Reclamation
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Apocalypse Array (LINK Angel, #4)
  • Starwolf
  • Dreamfall (Cat, #3)
  • Clarke County, Space (Near Space, #2)
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)
  • Debatable Space
  • O Pioneer!
Kay Kenyon is a fantasy and science fiction author living in Eastern Washington. Watch for At the Table of Wolves in July, kicking off her new Dark Talents novels from Saga Press. A dangerous game of spycraft set in 1936 England, amid the bloom of psychic abilities.

Her work has been nominated for the P.K. Dick, the John W. Campbell and the Endeavour Awards and has been twice shortlisted for the A
More about Kay Kenyon...