Start by marking “Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire #6)” as Want to Read:
Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire #6)

Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire #6)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,014 ratings  ·  65 reviews
View our feature on Deborah Cooke’s Darkfire Kiss.

Rafferty Powell has resolved to destroy his hated arch-nemesis, Magnus Montmorency. The pair have exchanged challenge coins, and their next battle will be their last. But Rafferty never expected to meet a woman whose desire for Magnus's end matches his own-and whose soul sparks the firestorm within him...

Published (first published April 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkfire Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkfire Kiss

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I have found another paranormal series to be obsessed with! I just loved the dragons. So gorgeous. If you are into dragons, I'd recommend this book.

Full review to be published in Affaire de Coeur magazine: http://affairedecoeur.com.

Melindeeloo
As a former frontline foreign reporter, Melissa has lived by a code. A code of honor that she's resigned herself to breaking in order to obtain the evidence necessary to gain justice for a murdered friend. In her search for the truth, Melissa is going to make the shocking discovery that Magnus Montmorency, the powerful arms' dealer who murdered her friend, is actually an evil dragonshifter - yes, dragon's exist and now Melissa has the 'claw-side view' photos to prove it.

Saving the 'little thief
Heather
This was a disappointing ending to an okay/awesome series. I disliked Melissa’s attitude (view spoiler), and I didn’t feel the chemistry between her and Rafferty. I didn’t feel as engaged with the secondary characters, either. (view spoiler) ...more
SheLove2Read
*spoilers*

Oh Rafferty! You've waited so long for your Firestorm and this is what you get?

I firmly believe Ms. Cooke somehow found my GR profile, read my reviews and decided "Hey. She loves dragon stories and is waiting anxiously for Rafferty's story. But I just know deep down inside, I can write her favorite character, throw in a female reporter and even a convoluted secret baby story and she'll be thrilled!"

*sherri shakes fist in the air*

Female reporter AND secret baby story? *shudders* All
LaShonta
This one was a huge disappointment for me. I've been waiting forever it seems for Rafferty's story. I feel as if he was short changed. I couldn't stand Melissa and seeing how she was Rafferty's mate diminished any enjoyment I could feel in this story. I only finished it so I wouldn't be out of the loop while reading the next one.
Lillazza
Oh god what a big delusion this book was, I couldn' even finsh it!
Boring characters, messy plot, unreal actions and situations, too many threads to follow and no passion at all... bah!
Paranormal Haven
Spoiler Free

Challenge coins have been exchanged and now Rafferty Powell will battle his long time enemy Magnus Montmorency. A battle that will end in blood. Upon entering Magnus' home, Rafferty comes face to face with a thief. A beautiful thief whose intoxicating scent Rafferty follows in order to protect her after she takes an important item from Magnus that will get her killed.

Melissa Smith is a reporter out to reveal the truth about Magnus' secret dealings and get justice for her friend, whos
An Odd1
** "Darkfire Kiss" (Dragonfire 6) by Deborah Cooke continues the story of the Pyr, dragon-men defenders of the Earth and humanity. For when you're in the mood for a fight to the bed, uh, death, dressed up in pretty words. Previous books were ok out of order, but this cast has grown large. My liking has diminished.
I think I read the series because I adore good dragons and heroes. Now I prefer the first two Temeraire from Naomi Novik, not limited to adult audiences, and Patricia Wrede's Enchanted
Book Binge
Rafferty is outside the home of his enemy, Magnus, when he spies a thief. She is trying to get into the house and doing a surprisingly easy job of it. He follows her and ends up saving her from Magnus’s fury. Rafferty eventually tracks the woman down while in his dragon form with the intent of getting information from her. Not only does he not get the info he needs but the woman, an out of work journalist, takes pictures of Rafferty fighting another dragon and posts them on her blog.

Needless to
Hbeebti
Rafferty Oh how long I have waited for your book!! This was just what I was hoping for. My man Rafferty has been waiting through every book for his turn to have a firestorm. The poor guy has wanted this more than any other character throughout the series.I think Melissa was great for him. There was some moments where I was like huh?? Wait!!! How in the heck is this going to work? But yes Mrs.Cooke sure can write a great book.

I really loved that even though this was Rafferty and Melissa's book t
Gwynn White
I've been waiting for Rafferty's firestorm since starting this series and I'm happy to say, it delivered on every level. This is an exciting read with many layers, which I know will set up a whole lot more books. That makes me happy! I enjoyed this one immensely. A breathtaking, fast ride.
Angela
I gave this a bad rating because it felt like such a betrayal. Have we not all been waiting for Rafferty's firestorm. Sweet, wise, romantic Rafferty who deserves a mate and to be a father. And instead, his firestorm is sucktastic. I can't say anything else about it without spoilers.

But let's not forget the other craziness going on in this one. Can we just have one main bad guy instead of three? Can people not just die? I guess the author is running out of ways to create dramatic tension within a
Cf
Thank God I finished this book. I could not get into it.
April   ♥"LOS" ♥
After waiting through six books, Pyr Rafferty Powell finally gets his firestorm and it's a game changer. Rafferty finds and claims his mate before the predicted firestorm, so it should be easy to convince her to mate with him again after the eclipse, or so he thinks. Unfortunately for Rafferty and Melissa his firestorm is the legendary darkfire, that is destined to change everything for the Pyr. Will Rafferty and Melissa be able to sate the darkfire or will they change the course of the future f ...more
PepperP0t
Pyr-world is in quite the disarray! Chen is still on the loose and up to no good. Magnus ('nuff said). Lorenzo declining to side with the Pyr. Insecurity about Zoe's future. Pictures of the Pyr all over the internet. The whereabouts of the Dragon's Teeth are unknown. The Sleeper needs protecting. The legendary Darkfire firestorm has started with Rafferty and Melissa Smith in the middle. So busy and so much ground to cover, but it was so deftly handled that it never felt overfull and all items su ...more
Bookaholics
Darkfire Kiss by Deborah Cooke
Paranormal Romance –May 3rd, 2011
4 stars

Those who dream of dragons will not be disappointed in this exciting paranormal series. But due to the variety of cast members and history between them, I would suggest reading at least on of the prior books before starting this one.

Melissa Smith is bent on revenge and swears to expose the evil Magnus Montmorency for his crimes. She breaks into his house and gets a huge surprise when she is confronted by Magnus with a gun poin
Pamela
(**Spoiler**)

This is book 6 in the Pyr series and we are finally treated to Rafferty Powell’s firestorm (about time).

Challenge coins have been exchanged and now Rafferty Powell will battle his arch-nemesis, Magnus Montmorency, a battle to death. Outside Magnus' home, Rafferty watches with surprise as a beautiful thief enters his home. She’s a thief with such an intoxicating scent that Rafferty follows her in order to protect her as her life is in danger after she steals a book belonging to Magn
Lynda Tatad
This is the 6th novel in the Dragon Fire series, and I am so happy that Rafferty Powel finally got his Firestorm! Unfortunatley, his is different from the typical Firestorm.

******possible plot spoilers, if you haven't read the previous book!********

We were introduced to a different Slayer (evil Dragon Shifter) in the previous book, and his name is Chen. Chen released the Darkfire from it's special crystal stone to wreak havoc in the Pyr (the good guys) community, and the world as well. So, this
Lover of Romance
When challenge coins have been exchanged, Rafferty is now determined to be the one to destroy Magnus, once and for all. But when he meets Melissa Smith he is intrigued, but very suspicious of her. When he first meets her he catches her stealing, so he doubts her. But then when he realizes that she is his firestorm, he knows he must protect her. But then he starts to realize that his firestorm is far different than any other, because its where the 'Darkfire' is introduced. One which is prophesied ...more
MandyM
3.5 stars This is book 6 in a great dragon shifter series that I've been following for a few years. In this book the popular Rafferty gets his firestorm with a beautiful reporter who is on a mission to expose Rafferty's nemesis Magnus for murder and arms dealing. Rafferty's firestorm is different and much chaos ensues as dragons lose old skills and receive new ones, the dragons are exposed to humankind, and new dragon characters (good and evil) are introduced.

Where the book is weaker for me is w
Debbie
Darkfire Kiss
Deborah Cooke
Penguin Group- publish date May 2011
416 pages
The one thing that Rafferty Powell longs for is his firestorm, but when it comes it comes with an ancient omen, darkfire, an omen of change. The question is will that change be for the better or the worse. Melissa Smith is used to disappointments but she’s vowed to rise once again like the phoenix from the ashes, only it’s not a phoenix that she sees but dragons, honest to God fire breathing dragons and as she’s taking photos
Holly
~Has some spoilers!~

This book to me did not really meet my, I admit somewhat high, expectations but at the same time I really did like it.

In the previous book the Pyr, Rafferty Powell, exchanged challenge coins with the all around bad guy Magnus Montmorency. As we read from the cover/blurb-- trying not to put in too many spoilers here-- we know they will fight to the death but that Rafferty runs into his mate about the same time.

I really did enjoy this book and hear it will be the last-- which d
Dawn
Deborah Cooke delivers a spellbinding story filled with revenge, mystery, legends and a love worth fighting for. DARKFIRE KISS is one action packed ride from start to finish and Ms. Cooke delivers a story worthy of re-reading over and over again. The storyline flows swiftly, a few twists kept me on the edge of my seat and the characters are to die for. I got to admit Rafferty is one of my favorite Pyr characters in the Dragonfire series and I loved how Melissa challenges him as well as softens h ...more
Beate
It's taken me absolutely forever to read this book. That's how much I didn't like this one. If you've read my reviews of the other books in the series, you know how much I love these books. You know how much I adore these dragons. Or Pyr as they're called here.

Rafferty's story is the one I've been looking the most forward to ever since I got to know his character in the first book. It was a long wait. And he got snubbed. He got the biggest, most selfish bitch for a mate - and that makes me mad.

Y
Jacqueline
I had a hard time choosing a rating for this book. I've enjoyed this series from the beginning. I was really looking forward to it and couldn't wait to read about Rafferty's firestorm. But I think so much other stuff was happening with the over arcing story line that Rafferty's story was slighted. I almost wanted to give it 2 stars. Is that because I expected too much? It was okay and I liked it in a general way but at the same time I was pretty disappointed. Some parts of it seemed hurried and ...more
Kathy
YAY!!! Rafferty gets his girl and I knew that it wouldn't be an easy match, cause ya know it can't be to begin with but also cause he's waited so long poor guy. But good grief I didn't expect it to go like that, and then the Pyr get outed. I did like Melissa's character she was snarky and teased Rafferty, I didn't think that it would ever be a question whether or not the mate would be able to conceive a child but I liked how Cooke worked it in, so they could then about the little girl Isabell, w ...more
DemonKitty003
This is just sad. I was all excited for nothing. Rafferty finally gets his firestorm and to me it just turned out to be a wash. Talk about boring as heck. His story was slow and confusing I literally got a headache by just trying to stay focus.

Sad how Melissa had a hard life. Fine.
Happy that Rafferty finally got his mate. All right.
But B-O-R-I-N-G as it just rolled with nonsense.

Now I don't know anyone enjoyed it and got it better than me. I give you thumbs up for liking it and getting it. But f
Elaine Wingert
Wow this book was awesome! Full of Dragon suspense mystery intrigue romance action packed drama twists and turns kept me on the edge throughout. I couldn't put it down. Yes another all nighter reading but definitely worth it. I Highly recommend.
Teresa
Great Dragonfire book by Deborah Cooke once again. :-) Rafferty finally gets a firestorm, but yet it's not really their average firestorm... He does find a mate and it's nice they end up with a little girl in the end becuase of the fact that Melissa can't have childrean. Very nice to see Sophia re-surface as well. :-) Not too sure I'm convinced Magnus is dead for sure, LOL, but it may be that way since we pretty much have new "bad guys". Chen and Viv it is, probably for the next installment....l ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
I enjoy the overall story of this series, but Deborah Cooke has a writing style that annoys me. I find her writing choppy, with her really short sentences and paragraphs.
Rafferty Powell was a character that I have been interested in since the beginning and I enjoyed his book. Melissa Smith was another smart and interesting heroine, which this series has been full of.
The series overall story continued on well, and there was new elements introduced, which I found refreshing for a series that is su
  • Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2)
  • Never Been Bit (Regency Vampyre Trilogy, #3)
  • The Vulpirans' Honor (The Soul-Linked Saga #6)
  • The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)
  • The Dragon Who Loved Me (Dragon Kin, #5)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Deadman's Blood (Blood Series, #5)
  • Dragon Warrior (Midnight Bay, #2)
  • Darkest Wolf (Westervelt Wolves, #7)
  • Night Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #3)
  • Dragon Dance (Dragon Queen, #2)
  • Fury of Ice (Dragonfury, #2)
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Dragons (Light Dragons, #2)
Deborah Cooke also writes under the names Claire Delacroix and Claire Cross.

Bestselling and award-winning author Deborah Cooke has published over fifty novels and novellas, including historical romances, fantasy romances, fantasy novels with romantic elements, paranormal romances, contemporary romances, urban fantasy romances, time travel romances and paranormal young adult novels. She writes as h
More about Deborah Cooke...

Dragonfire (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1)
  • Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Winter Kiss (Dragonfire, #4)
  • Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)
  • Flashfire (Dragonfire, #7)
  • Ember's Kiss (Dragonfire, #8)
  • The Dragon Legion Collection (Dragonfire, #9)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Dragonfire #10)
  • Firestorm Forever (Dragonfire, #11)
Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3) Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2) Winter Kiss (Dragonfire, #4) Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)

“Were there any Pyr in DC other than the two of them?
No! It couldn't be!
Raffery spun again, but Thorolf was keeping a wary distance. "It's not your firestorm, is it?" Bitterness welled within Rafferty at the prospect.
If Thorolf, who did not care at all for romance or love or long-term relationships, should have a firestorm before Rafferty, then the Great Wyvern truly had no place in Her heart for him, even after all these centuries.
"Me?" Thornolf looked as horrified by the prospect as Rafferty. "Wouldn't I be, like, the first to know?"
"Can't you feel it?" Rafferty couldn't keep the anger from his tone. If Thorolf was having a firestorm, it wouldn't be unreasonable that he, of all the Pyr, wouldn't have a clue. Rafferty had never met a Pyr so disinclined to use his abilities. "Someone is our vicinity is having one." He switched to old-speak. "Feel it!"
Thorolf stared at Rafferty, then started to chuckle. "Dude, I can't feel anything except the pounding in my head. That's no firestorm--that's plain old beer. Lots of it. With vodka shooters.”
5 likes