Start by marking “Beyond The Fall Of Night” as Want to Read:
Beyond The Fall Of Night

Beyond The Fall Of Night

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Gregory Benford expands Arthur C. Clarke's novella, Against the Fall of Night, into a novel-length adventure set billions of years in the future about human destiny among the stars.
339 pages
Published (first published 1990)

May 25, 2009 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
The first half of this novel is Aurthur C. Clarke's classic "Against the Fall of Night"; the second half is a sequel written mostly by Benford, I believe; incredible imaginations; an inspiring vision of a galaxy filled with bizaare biological organisms, structures and forms the size of planets in some cases (!)
Mace Reynr
I guess I'm just not an Arthur Clarke fan.

Most reviews of this books extoll the value of Clarke's original story and pan the poor execution of Benford's sequel. I found it to be more or less the opposite.

Clarke's original chapter was the kind of science fiction that really wears on me; a slow, tedious journey into seemingly nothing. I mean, hundreds of pages to tell a simple tale of a child leaving a city and discovering more to what he once perceived of the world.

Benford's part on the other ha
I'm not sure how to rate this one. If I remember correctly, the American edition has deceptive cover blurbs implying that it's a novel-length collaboration between Gregory Benford and Arthur C. Clarke; in reality, it's an omnibus pairing Clarke's sublime first novel, Against the Fall of Night , with Benford's not-nearly-as-good sequel written 37 years later. (The UK editions referred to the same book as Against the Fall of Night / Beyond the Fall of Night .)

Though I haven't read it in decades,
Four stars for Clarke's Against The Fall of Night and two or 2.5 for Benford's Beyond tack-on.

Few reviews seem to mention the Benford's 'reinstatement' of (view spoiler)
I have now read two Arthur C. Clarke works which failed to live up to his usual standards, and both of them were collaborations. The first was the wretched "Cradle," co-written by Gentry Lee, and published in 1988. "Beyond the Fall of Night," a collaboration with Gregory Benford, appeared two years later, and is only a marginal improvement. This is not to disparage all of Clarke's collaborations. Indeed, "Rama II," also co-written with Gentry Lee, was a surprisingly strong sequel to Clarke's "Re ...more
Jeral Rivarola
Tengo sentimientos encontrados.

La primera parte corresponde a una de las primeras novelas escritas por Clarke. Y se le nota la edad y la inexperiencia. Aún así es un relato ágil, de buen ritmo. Las cosas pasan rápido y uno enseguida llega al final de libro. En la actualidad (y con mucho más relleno), podría ser fácilmento una de esas novelas Young Adult sobre la madurez que tanto éxito tienen en la actualidad, menos el componente romático o sobrenatural.

Ahora, la secuela de Benford. Viendo las r
Guy Woodward
Terrible terrible terrible, beyond awful, the worst book ever written. Note I refer not to 'Against the Fall of Night,' the first of the two books that are bolted together in a single volume. 'Against' is one of the greatest Sci-Fi books ever written, though a debate exists as to whether it or the rewritten version 'The City and the Stars' is the better book.

No, rather I refer to 'Beyond the Fall of Night,' nigh on the most heinous, criminal feat of literary vandalism ever perpetrated. Made wors
Matteo Pellegrini

Diaspar è l'ultima città rimasta sulla terra. Circondata da altissime mura la città-fantasma ospita gli ultimi rappresentanti del genere umano che conducono un'esistenza drammaticamente monotona, dominati dai robot e tormentati dal ricordo del loro remoto passato. Uno solo di essi Alvin, avverte l'ormai sconosciuta ansia di conoscere, aspira a uscire dal buio che lo opprime. Riuscirà nel suo intento, la sua iniziativa che comporterà il sacrificio della sua vita, avvierà il riscatto e la rinascit

It was… Okay.

It was readable, I enjoyed the first novella so much more though. I had more difficulty with the visualizations. That's not something that usually occurs for me with Clarke.
May 26, 2015 Zachary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers teaching a class on how not to write a novel
Recommended to Zachary by: my dumbass self
Shelves: sci-fi, avoid
I enjoyed Clarke's "Against the Fall of Night" but my god Benford, I know you're talented, but damn were you drunk when writing this. What happened to all of the magic and beauty of ATFON? And no, It wasn't just because the original was soo good and nothing could ever live up to expectation, it's mostly because -

1. Benford writes like shit for some reason.
3. Continuity Errors, which is literally the easiest shit to be aware of.

Read this at your own peril, if you
Rao Kasibhotla
I am a big fan of ACC, but this one tested my endurance. I feel somehow the charm of the first novel didn't extend into the second one and may be because Alvin and exploring his world is off the script. Not quite a sequel in that sense. Meh.
Insoportable. NO lo pude terminar. Pesadisimo y aburrido hasta la muerte.
Michael Thompson
This is the third or fourth retelling of the same story by Clarke, this time with a new second half mostly by Benford and almost totally incomprehensible to me. Never again will I read a Clarke collaberation with anyone.
Fred Ramsey
Not a sequel to my favorite story of all time, Against the Fall of Night. Instead, it is another poor example of another author riding on the coattails of an established one.

I'll just make one point: in Against the Fall of Night, Clarke specifically tells us the Moon was destroyed to keep it from hitting the Earth.

Amazingly, in this tale, the Moon is still there!

Load of "A" grade crap, this one.

The first half was well written and descriptive, but the second half had a lot of confusing descriptions that made it hard to visualize a lot of the settings. Both parts were interesting and showed the arrogance of humans and what harm we can do while meaning well, especially because of a dependance on technology.
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
Stephen Collings
Mr. Benford spent several very boring pages in his sequel describing this fantastical ecosystem on the moon. Unfortunately, the moon was BLOWN UP in the first book. Disintegrated. Death Star to the head.

Does Benford even read the novels he tries to write sequels to? Honestly?
Only three stars because of the sequel included with this. It just doesn't have the same feel as the first book. I know that it is another author, but it is too great a difference. Otherwise Against the Fall of night would be 4 stars.
I got to about page 238 of 339 of Beyond the Fall of Night: omg, I'm just slogging along here. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for 60's style science fiction atm. Started re-read Feb. 5, 2011. Stopped Feb. 9, 2011
John Sorensen
Another book in the Clarke style-the human race exists for billions of years without really changing (this idea is so preposterous and offensive to common sense it kills me).
i give this 4 stars for the part I, Clarke's original story "Against the Fall of Night", but give part II, Gregory Benford's sequel to the original story, 1 star.
Krishna Shah
For some reason I had a hard time getting into this book. Usually I love clarke's writing style but I just couldn't get into it.
This book is a great read: an intriguing mix of science and a possible future that is immensely imaginative.
An optimistic look at a civilization gone stale. Very good book.
It was really hard to get through the Benford section.
Barbara Dycus
I guess I need to think about this one for awhile.
Two in One
Kieria Elekes
Kieria Elekes marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • Quest For The Future
  • Starstrike
  • October the First Is Too Late
  • The Long Way Home
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • The Alien Years
  • Heart of the Comet
  • Moonseed (NASA Trilogy, #3)
  • The Snares of Ibex (Diadem, #8)
  • Starburst
  • Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1)
  • Saturn's Race
  • Man-Kzin Wars X: The Wunder War
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise