Start by marking “Beyond The Fall Of Night” as Want to Read:
Beyond The Fall Of Night

Beyond The Fall Of Night

Gregory Benford expands Arthur C. Clarke's novella, Against the Fall of Night, into a novel-length adventure set billions of years in the future about human destiny among the stars.
339 pages
Published (first published July 17th 1990)

Caprice
Mar 19, 2016 Caprice rated it it was ok
Beyond the Fall of Night consists of two parts, a novella by Arthur C. Clarke called Against the Fall of Night and a continuation of this novella by Gregory Benford. The first I found interesting and unique, the second too abstract and rambling.

The original novella was unique and interesting, as it was set billions of years in the future and it was about earth, but so different that it was not recognisable. In this setting, today's time were the Dawn Ages, a very ancient past. This was an intere
Mark
May 25, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The first half of this novel is Aurthur C. Clarke's classic "Against the Fall of Night"; the second half is a sequel written mostly by Benford, I believe; incredible imaginations; an inspiring vision of a galaxy filled with bizaare biological organisms, structures and forms the size of planets in some cases (!)
Raja99
I'm not sure how to rate this one. If I remember correctly, the American edition has deceptive cover blurbs implying that it's a novel-length collaboration between Gregory Benford and Arthur C. Clarke; in reality, it's an omnibus pairing Clarke's sublime first novel, Against the Fall of Night , with Benford's not-nearly-as-good sequel written 37 years later. (The UK editions referred to the same book as Against the Fall of Night / Beyond the Fall of Night .)

Though I haven't read it in decades,
Mace Reynr
May 16, 2013 Mace Reynr rated it it was ok
I guess I'm just not an Arthur Clarke fan.

Most reviews of this books extoll the value of Clarke's original story and pan the poor execution of Benford's sequel. I found it to be more or less the opposite.

Clarke's original chapter was the kind of science fiction that really wears on me; a slow, tedious journey into seemingly nothing. I mean, hundreds of pages to tell a simple tale of a child leaving a city and discovering more to what he once perceived of the world.

Benford's part on the other ha
Yossarian
Feb 16, 2017 Yossarian rated it did not like it
Shelves: beletrie
Čtenář udělá lépe, když si raději „vykloktá kyselinou sírovou než aby měl číst tuto blbost. Kdybych mohl zcela vyjádřit, jak hrozné takzvané pokračování je, každý v doslechu by musel shnít.“ : James Nicoll

Přiznám se, že jsme to celé nedočetl, jen dolistoval do konce ... při popisu Vírníku jsme vzdal snahy o pochopení a knihu zatratil, očividn nejsem jediný (viz citát výše z wikipedie).

Tad Deshler
Dec 05, 2016 Tad Deshler rated it liked it
The Clarke novella was interesting and set the groundwork for an interesting followup. Unfortunately, what we got seemed to bear no resemblance to the first story, except for the main character Alvin. It's as if many volumes in between were skipped in impatience to get to the end. Big ideas were explored in that story, but it felt insufficiently grounded in anything I could relate to.
John
Sep 12, 2013 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have now read two Arthur C. Clarke works which failed to live up to his usual standards, and both of them were collaborations. The first was the wretched "Cradle," co-written by Gentry Lee, and published in 1988. "Beyond the Fall of Night," a collaboration with Gregory Benford, appeared two years later, and is only a marginal improvement. This is not to disparage all of Clarke's collaborations. Indeed, "Rama II," also co-written with Gentry Lee, was a surprisingly strong sequel to Clarke's "Re ...more
Jeral Rivarola
Tengo sentimientos encontrados.

La primera parte corresponde a una de las primeras novelas escritas por Clarke. Y se le nota la edad y la inexperiencia. Aún así es un relato ágil, de buen ritmo. Las cosas pasan rápido y uno enseguida llega al final de libro. En la actualidad (y con mucho más relleno), podría ser fácilmento una de esas novelas Young Adult sobre la madurez que tanto éxito tienen en la actualidad, menos el componente romático o sobrenatural.

Ahora, la secuela de Benford. Viendo las r
Guy Woodward
Dec 05, 2012 Guy Woodward rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Terrible terrible terrible, beyond awful, the worst book ever written. Note I refer not to 'Against the Fall of Night,' the first of the two books that are bolted together in a single volume. 'Against' is one of the greatest Sci-Fi books ever written, though a debate exists as to whether it or the rewritten version 'The City and the Stars' is the better book.

No, rather I refer to 'Beyond the Fall of Night,' nigh on the most heinous, criminal feat of literary vandalism ever perpetrated. Made wors
Wyatt
Four stars for Clarke's Against The Fall of Night and two or 2.5 for Benford's Beyond tack-on.

Few reviews seem to mention the Benford's 'reinstatement' of (view spoiler)
William Burcher
Jan 22, 2016 William Burcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-favorites
I just finished (for probably the fifth time) Clarke and Benford's "Beyond the Fall of Night." There are certain works of science fiction that transcend the limits of the genre—indeed, the limits of the MEDIUM—and leave an experiencer with a higher sense of what it means to be conscious and alive and living in the time we are now. As much as we don't like to talk about it, this is the end to which every writer aspires. Ultimately positive stories in science fiction are becoming harder to find, a ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Diaspar è l'ultima città rimasta sulla terra. Circondata da altissime mura la città-fantasma ospita gli ultimi rappresentanti del genere umano che conducono un'esistenza drammaticamente monotona, dominati dai robot e tormentati dal ricordo del loro remoto passato. Uno solo di essi Alvin, avverte l'ormai sconosciuta ansia di conoscere, aspira a uscire dal buio che lo opprime. Riuscirà nel suo intento, la sua iniziativa che comporterà il sacrificio della sua vita, avvierà il riscatto e la rinascit

Fred Ramsey
Apr 26, 2007 Fred Ramsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a sequel to my favorite story of all time, Against the Fall of Night. Instead, it is another poor example of another author riding on the coattails of an established one.

I'll just make one point: in Against the Fall of Night, Clarke specifically tells us the Moon was destroyed to keep it from hitting the Earth.

Amazingly, in this tale, the Moon is still there!

Load of "A" grade crap, this one.

Ian
Aug 19, 2008 Ian rated it it was amazing
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
Whitney
Jul 11, 2010 Whitney rated it liked it
The first half was well written and descriptive, but the second half had a lot of confusing descriptions that made it hard to visualize a lot of the settings. Both parts were interesting and showed the arrogance of humans and what harm we can do while meaning well, especially because of a dependance on technology.
Michael Thompson
Aug 09, 2015 Michael Thompson rated it it was ok
This is the third or fourth retelling of the same story by Clarke, this time with a new second half mostly by Benford and almost totally incomprehensible to me. Never again will I read a Clarke collaberation with anyone.
Jessie
Feb 05, 2011 Jessie rated it liked it
I got to about page 238 of 339 of Beyond the Fall of Night: omg, I'm just slogging along here. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for 60's style science fiction atm. Started re-read Feb. 5, 2011. Stopped Feb. 9, 2011
Steve
Oct 01, 2013 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Only three stars because of the sequel included with this. It just doesn't have the same feel as the first book. I know that it is another author, but it is too great a difference. Otherwise Against the Fall of night would be 4 stars.
Balthazar
It was… Okay.

It was readable, I enjoyed the first novella so much more though. I had more difficulty with the visualizations. That's not something that usually occurs for me with Clarke.
Rao Kasibhotla
May 01, 2015 Rao Kasibhotla rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of ACC, but this one tested my endurance. I feel somehow the charm of the first novel didn't extend into the second one and may be because Alvin and exploring his world is off the script. Not quite a sequel in that sense. Meh.
Stephen Collings
Apr 07, 2011 Stephen Collings rated it did not like it
Mr. Benford spent several very boring pages in his sequel describing this fantastical ecosystem on the moon. Unfortunately, the moon was BLOWN UP in the first book. Disintegrated. Death Star to the head.

Does Benford even read the novels he tries to write sequels to? Honestly?
Krishna Shah
Aug 14, 2010 Krishna Shah rated it liked it
For some reason I had a hard time getting into this book. Usually I love clarke's writing style but I just couldn't get into it.
John Sorensen
Aug 13, 2011 John Sorensen rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Another book in the Clarke style-the human race exists for billions of years without really changing (this idea is so preposterous and offensive to common sense it kills me).
Mike S
Mar 10, 2009 Mike S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
This book is a great read: an intriguing mix of science and a possible future that is immensely imaginative.
tim
Nov 29, 2010 tim rated it liked it
i give this 4 stars for the part I, Clarke's original story "Against the Fall of Night", but give part II, Gregory Benford's sequel to the original story, 1 star.
Jean Gall
Jean Gall rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Dave Bomersback
Dave Bomersback rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2009
Robert Pinolehto
Robert Pinolehto rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
Howard
Howard rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2008
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • Quest For The Future
  • Heart of the Comet
  • The Snares of Ibex
  • October the First Is Too Late
  • Man-Kzin Wars X: The Wunder War (Man-Kzin Wars #10)
  • The Alien Years
  • Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1)
  • Starburst
  • Saturn's Race
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Moonseed (NASA Trilogy, #3)
  • Starstrike
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...