Start by marking “The Silver Palate Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Silver Palate Cookbook

The Silver Palate Cookbook

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,416 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
With over 2.2 million copies in print, the widely acclaimed The Silver Palate Cookbook is firmly established as a contemporary classic. Originally published in 1982, the book's elegant, innovative recipes and emphasis on pure, fresh, ingredients ushered a new passion for food and hospitality into the American consciousness.

The lively collection of clear, step-by-step reci
Paperback
Published January 4th 1982 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Palate Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Palate Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
28th out of 1,008 books — 995 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
Best Cookbooks Ever
4th out of 181 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam
May 30, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, cooking
An awesome cookbook from way back in 1982, when finding flat leaf parsley was a real challenge and nobody knew what pesto was yet...but these two women helped put gourmet food on the map! And to them I say, thank you.
Sharon
Nov 09, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookshelf
With it's sibling The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbookand big brother The New Basics Cookbook, these are the ones on my shelf that are completely dog eared with use.
Lorraine
Oct 29, 2007 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culinary
I am actually reading a cookbook from start to finish!!! The recipes have already won me over, but the tidbits, the quotes, the organization of this book are absolutely delightful! And no calories for reading about food!!
Andrea
Jul 26, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This is my mother's cookbook and has more New York Sunday society classics than you can shake a stick at. Chicken Marbella, anyone? What about quiches galore? Heck, there's a whole section on "Brunch Drinks." Sometimes it can get a bit ridiculous (Herbed Caviar Roulade?), but it features genuinely good entertaining advice, such as, "schedule just enough time to relax with a quiet drink before the party begins; this way you may catch your breath," "The most successful hosts are those who welcome ...more
Leah A. A.
May 31, 2016 Leah A. A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food, favorites
An essential classic! All the recipes work, but if you get this book for no other reason, the recipe for chicken Marbella will be worth it.
Alisa
Sep 12, 2011 Alisa rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love!!! I've made several things and all have been superb.
D
Jan 05, 2015 D rated it liked it
Recommends it for: home cooks looking for fun, '80s-inspired riffs on an array of classics
a flavor bomb of '80s cooking inspiration: think: lots of reductions and specialized vinegars and fussy cheeses. now, my love of cooking is FOUNDED on the stuff i ate from this era, so i can totally get on board. and one of my favorite lasagnas in the world was created by these ladies (an eggplant/chevre/bechamel BOMB that was LIFE-CHANGING and published in lukins and rosso's New Basics). but sometimes i notice the acid is a titch heavy-handed and not as subtly balanced as it can be with the bes ...more
Michelle
Oct 09, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet-health-food
There is no recipe in this book that is imperfect.

I love how a good cookbook can give you such an impression of the culture/time it came from.
Take a trip in the time warp machine back to shoulder pads and print newspapers and get cooking.

John G
Jul 29, 2015 John G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cooking
A great cookbook. Perhaps as much fun to read as to enjoy the recipes. Lots of good background on most recipes and lots of info on ingredients. Sometimes basic recipes have lots of variations suggested. The sections on salads were particularly great.

The tone is sort of 5th Avenue hippie. Largely because of the hand drawn B&W illustrations. And the friendly humorous narratives. Side boxes exhort the reader to enjoy food and life.

The recipes are simple and all of those which I have tried work
Kathy Hoss
Jun 03, 2014 Kathy Hoss rated it really liked it
A good cookbook, but not a great I one. Many of the recipes call for ingredients that one might not necessarily have in their cabinets. This is the kind of book to buy someone who wants to get into a little gourmet cooking.
Bethwareham
Mar 17, 2015 Bethwareham rated it it was amazing
I am the former editor of 2 editions of the Joy of Cooking and this is still my favorite cookbook BAR NONE. The flavors are huge and the dishes easy to make. This book has made me a culinary rock star over and over.
Diana
Feb 16, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Ignore the dated photo on the book jacket - this is still a relevant and great cookbook! Not as essential to me as the Silver Palate New Basics, but nonetheless a great cookbook with lots of ideas.
Yasmine Alfouzan
Oct 26, 2015 Yasmine Alfouzan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm usually very weary of "classic" cookbooks as I believe we should be moving forward with our palates not backwards, but this has some legitimately great recipes.
Victoria
Jul 24, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Disappointed to find errors in some recipes, making me wary of using this book. I think someone was in too much of a hurry to get this published & out the door.
Shelli O'steen
Jan 07, 2016 Shelli O'steen rated it really liked it
I bought this in my teens and it started my appreciation of cookbooks. Food that is approachable, no fancy training needed to prepare.
Veronica
Jun 11, 2014 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Good! Try the cranberry/walnut sweetbreads also recipe for zucini bread, the best out there.
Patricia Morrison
Aug 09, 2015 Patricia Morrison rated it it was amazing
An oldie but goodie. So many delicious recipes. Brings back memories of fun times in NYC
Cathryn
Jan 31, 2016 Cathryn rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook with lots of info and recipes
Jan Hewitt
One of my favorites, the Chili for a Crowd is a classic.
Lynne
Oct 09, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it
Some great recipes that I added to my repertoire.
Laurie
Aug 12, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually looked at the hard copy of the 25th anniversary edition. I was curious to see how color plates added to the book since I have successfully cooked so many things from the original cookbook that my copy is dog-eared.
I was pretty disappointed. There really aren't that many photos to enhance the text and I didn't think the tastiness of the food was truly captured visually. For me, the photos detracted from the original charm of the cartoon illustrations. I'm still a fan of Silver Palate
Nelle
Apr 19, 2016 Nelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-cookbooks
My all-time favorite cookbook!
Annika
Jul 13, 2014 Annika rated it really liked it
Inspiring and achievable!
Missey Wilhelm
Great little cook book.
Mark
Jan 29, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
If my family wants to cook a special meal, this is the first cookbook that gets pulled off the shelf. At least one dish, often the whole meal comes from the recipes in this book. We have been using it since 1986, and over the years have tried the majority of the recipes.. some recipes 40+ times (like the chocolate mousse:-). The recipes have all been tasty, most are moderately complicated / time consuming, but executable by someone with basic skills. The biggest downside is that some of the ingr ...more
ganatejadyaga
Nov 16, 2015 ganatejadyaga marked it as to-read
nice
Lynn Hotalen
Oct 16, 2012 Lynn Hotalen rated it really liked it
I first got this cookbook years ago when I was first taking a real interest in cooking. Many of the recipes and ingredients seemed exotic to me then, but I learned so much and bought all the books by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins I could get my hands on. Those recipes no longer seem so exotic to me and many of them I now cook without a recipe, since I've made them so many times. But I still refer to this book often and love where it has taken me.
bookczuk
May 09, 2013 bookczuk rated it it was amazing
Lovely little cookbook, written by the friend of a friend, and given to me by another friend. I've used many recipes from this one, but particularly liked the chicken marabella (which sounds bettern than chicken with prunes), which was easy to prepare when serving large groups. Most memorable dinner was out at Sunset Beach, NC at a beach house there for 10 of us.

Packing away now as we declutter the house, preparing to put it on the market.
Patty
Apr 29, 2009 Patty rated it did not like it
I was thrilled when I got this cookbook for $1 at a used book store. Now I know why someone had given it away! I've tried four recipes in it, and they were all wrong. I know how to cook; I have enough experience to know when a recipe is "not my taste" and when it's just plain wrong. The recipes I tried were clearly not well tested. The food came out disastrous. After four bad ones, I stopped trusting the book enough to try any more.
Jeanenne McCloskey
Sep 18, 2010 Jeanenne McCloskey rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook. My mother-in-law gave it to me for a bridal shower gift. When my husband and I went moved away to another state from our parents and couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving I opened this cookbook up and found the recipes I needed to make the perfect traditional Thanksgiving meal. I have used it every Thanksgiving Holiday for the past 20 years. Has a wonderful recipes for turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie.
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • All Around the World Cookbook
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun
  • The Breakfast Book
  • James Beard's American Cookery
  • The Way to Cook
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant
  • New York Cookbook: From Pelham Bay to Park Avenue, Firehouses to Four-Star Restaurants
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
Julee Rosso is an American cook and food writer. In 1977 she and Sheila Lukins opened and ran a gourmet food shop in New York City called The Silver Palate. In the 1980s they wrote, with Michael McLaughlin, The Silver Palate Cookbook, The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, and others. A 25th Anniversary update of the Silver Palate Cookbook is forthcoming.
More about Julee Rosso...