Start by marking “Bagels from Benny” as Want to Read:
Bagels from Benny

Bagels from Benny

Benny loves to help out at his grandpa's bakery in the morning, and the customers love the crusty bagels with their soft insides. When Grandpa explains to Benny that God, not him, should be thanked for the wonderful bagels, Benny sets out to do just that. He decides to leave God a bagful of bagels in the synagogue at the end of each week. And each week God eats the bagels ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Kids Can Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bagels from Benny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bagels from Benny

Kate
Jun 21, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh and cry as I read it to my kids. While this is a Jewish tale, it doesn't matter which religion (or no religion) you are, it's a good story about how helping people enriches your life.
Emily
Mar 20, 2017 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This sweet book is utterly endearing. We were all laughing out loud by the end.
Brittany Trinh
Apr 18, 2016 Brittany Trinh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: project-1
APA:
Davis, A., & Petričić, D. (2003). Bagels from Benny. Toronto, ON: Kids Can Press.

Review: Benny is a little boy who enjoys waking up early and helping his grandpa out at the bakery. His grandpa’s bagels are famously known for their deliciousness. Benny seeks to thank his grandpa for the delicious bagels, but his grandpa stops him. Benny’s grandpa explains that God is whom Benny should thank for the bagels. To show his appreciation, Benny goes to a local synagogue and leaves a bag of bage
Whole And
May 07, 2014 Whole And rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books

Brilliant story.

A bold young boy personally wants to thank God for the bagels his grandpa makes in his bakery, because that's who grandpa graciously thanks every time someone compliments his baked goods. Benny thanks God by placing a bag of bagels once a week in an unorthodox place, thinking God is gobbling them up every week. Benny is first disappointed to find out who has been receiving his bagels and then grateful to discover how God works.

I love love love this story for the values imparted t
Alice
Sep 14, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this book a higher rating...like a 4.5 but I am not going to-- Thankfully I am at work and can't cry but this book is great!! I LOVE the message, I love pure heart of the boy!! I love the reciprocity, I love the Jewish element .. (I need a good Bagel Place in town...but NOOOO!! )

Why I can't give it a higher rating is on a matter of belief. I believe God doesn't need food, and doesn't have a stomach, but he has a mouth. In fact I believe I am created to look like his basic structu
Hester Rathbone
Mar 01, 2013 Hester Rathbone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
One of the things I've always loved is the concept of doing for others ("tzedakah") and how each little action has meaning and thus, we need to do things with our whole hearts. I think this is a really lovely portrayal of how hard it is for children to begin to grasp the concept of God, let alone how hard it is for grown-ups to explain it!
Hilary
The lesson to be taken from this story is that by making the world better, we show our thanks to God. The pictures are bland; I don't think children will find them very appealing. However, the simple Jewish folktale from Spain provides an solid choice when selecting material to encourage human kindness and generosity of spirit in youngsters.
Samantha
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are calming. I think that it was really accurate in the way Benny's thoughts progress too. If I were a child, I would think to do the same thing with the bagels, although I might have been more cautious than Benny.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story about a little boy, in an effort to show gratitude to God, unknowingly helps someone in need and realizes that it is the best way to show our thanks. Such a wonderfully written story, very powerful. LOVE!
Gandalf Grey
Jan 09, 2014 Gandalf Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger, my mom used to read this book to me all the time, and I loved it. It is a very cute book and I recommend that every child from 3-7 should read it or have it read to them.
David Basior
Jun 07, 2013 David Basior rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I LOVE this book, I substitute the word "God" for all the male pronouns used when talking about God.
Dina Guardado
Oct 02, 2015 Dina Guardado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book about a boy who
thinks he is giving bagels to god, but really
a homeless man is getting the bagels.
At the end of the book the homeless man has
gotten a job. YAY!
Tammy Dabros-Wulf / Talymada TheLuckyLibrarian
A great book to act out as a play with kids. Then make your own bagels to share.
Danielle
Oct 29, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this with Tommy last night. A story of wanting to tell God thank you and by helping other you do so.
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Katharine
Katharine rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Susan
Sep 10, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books-jp
LOVED this.
Fairyjudy
Fairyjudy rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Jen
Oct 22, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-kidlit
This is a touching tale about the surprising ways in which God acknowledges our prayers.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Sle1784853
Sle1784853 rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Myles
Myles rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Brenna
Brenna rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Ploysang
Ploysang rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Noelle
Noelle rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Ms. D
Ms. D rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Rebecca Einstein
Rebecca Einstein rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I always loved to read. As a boy I had a passion for myths, bible stories, science fiction and Mad magazine. My neighbor was a writer for CBC. Maybe I caught the writing bug from him. I loved to write funny stories. My Grade six teacher liked them. But my Grade eight teacher hated them. So I stopped writing creatively until I was 42.
In 1970, I traveled across Europe and North Africa and discovered
More about Aubrey Davis...