Start by marking “Bagels from Benny” as Want to Read:
Bagels from Benny

Bagels from Benny

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Benny loves to help out at his grandpa's bakery in the morning, and the customers love the crusty bagels with their soft insides. When Grandpa explains to Benny that God, not him, should be thanked for the wonderful bagels, Benny sets out to do just that. He decides to leave God a bagful of bagels in the synagogue at the end of each week. And each week God eats the bagels ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Kids Can Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bagels from Benny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bagels from Benny

Whole And

Brilliant story.

A bold young boy personally wants to thank God for the bagels his grandpa makes in his bakery, because that's who grandpa graciously thanks every time someone compliments his baked goods. Benny thanks God by placing a bag of bagels once a week in an unorthodox place, thinking God is gobbling them up every week. Benny is first disappointed to find out who has been receiving his bagels and then grateful to discover how God works.

I love love love this story for the values imparted t
Kate
This book made me laugh and cry as I read it to my kids. While this is a Jewish tale, it doesn't matter which religion (or no religion) you are, it's a good story about how helping people enriches your life.
Danielle
Read this with Tommy last night. A story of wanting to tell God thank you and by helping other you do so.
Gandalf Grey
When I was younger, my mom used to read this book to me all the time, and I loved it. It is a very cute book and I recommend that every child from 3-7 should read it or have it read to them.
Hilary
The lesson to be taken from this story is that by making the world better, we show our thanks to God. The pictures are bland; I don't think children will find them very appealing. However, the simple Jewish folktale from Spain provides an solid choice when selecting material to encourage human kindness and generosity of spirit in youngsters.
Hester Thorpe
One of the things I've always loved is the concept of doing for others ("tzedakah") and how each little action has meaning and thus, we need to do things with our whole hearts. I think this is a really lovely portrayal of how hard it is for children to begin to grasp the concept of God, let alone how hard it is for grown-ups to explain it!
Samantha
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are calming. I think that it was really accurate in the way Benny's thoughts progress too. If I were a child, I would think to do the same thing with the bagels, although I might have been more cautious than Benny.
Melissa
This is a wonderful story about a little boy, in an effort to show gratitude to God, unknowingly helps someone in need and realizes that it is the best way to show our thanks. Such a wonderfully written story, very powerful. LOVE!
David Basior
While I LOVE this book, I substitute the word "God" for all the male pronouns used when talking about God.
Jen
This is a touching tale about the surprising ways in which God acknowledges our prayers.
Tammy Dabros-wulf
A great book to act out as a play with kids. Then make your own bagels to share.
beautiful children's picture book.
Cecilia
Very sweet book. I cried at the end. :)
Blessedhome
Blessedhome marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Ariella Raff
Ariella Raff marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tracy Peirano
Tracy Peirano marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I always loved to read. As a boy I had a passion for myths, bible stories, science fiction and Mad magazine. My neighbor was a writer for CBC. Maybe I caught the writing bug from him. I loved to write funny stories. My Grade six teacher liked them. But my Grade eight teacher hated them. So I stopped writing creatively until I was 42.
In 1970, I traveled across Europe and North Africa and discovered
More about Aubrey Davis...
A Hen for Izzy Pippik The Enormous Potato Bone Button Borscht Sody Salleratus Kishka for Koppel