Start by marking “Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time” as Want to Read:
Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time

Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time (The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond #2)

In the bestselling The Physics of Star Trek, the renowned theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss took readers on an entertaining and eye-opening tour of the Star Trek universe to see how it stacked up against the real universe. Now, responding to requests for more as well as to a number of recent exciting discoveries in physics and astronomy, Krauss takes a provocative look ...more
Published April 5th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Star Trek

Nicole
Dec 01, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting read, and another case of "I'm amazed it makes this much sense to me... Wow, I rock at science." (Really, I don't, normally...) Very much enjoyed this book.
Charles
May 02, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a lifelong science fiction fan and one well-schooled in science, I enjoy the stories while acknowledging the holes in the scientific aspects. In this book, Krauss does an excellent job of explaining the scientific realities in the context of some of the wonders we see on the screen. Star Trek, in all of its many manifestations, is the primary focus. He also discusses the “X-files” television show and the movie “Independence Day.”
One of the interesting points concerns the alien ships in “Ind
Patricia
Dec 10, 2007 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was highly entertaining and made me wish that I had majored in physics in college. The chapter on X-files was my favorite, being that I'm a big fan of the show. Krauss' presentation of physics concepts are laid out really well, in the context of popular science fiction. I was literally laughing out loud during several parts of this book, and that was before I met Dr. Krauss at a lecture and found out how funny he is in person. He definitely deserves the title "rock-star scientist", bec ...more
Tony
Dec 21, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Beyond Star Trek basically attempts to analyze whether some of the phenomena we see in sci-fi and fantasy movies are possible from a scientific view point. Subjects discussed include travel at super-luminous speeds, ESP, time travel, etc. The author is able to explain some extremely complicated concepts very clearly, e.g., quantum entanglement. My only complaint is that a number of the subjects are deemed unrealistic for the same reason--they would require too much energy. However, I blame scien ...more
Kym Andrew Robinson
A pleasant follow up to the earlier 'the Physics of Star Trek' this book lives up to its title and investigates much of the science and possibilities and impossibilities found in other Sci Fi mediums.

Like the first book it is a nice read for any sci fi fan and any one who is starting their travels in the sciences or who has a partial interest in them.

A good compliment to the first book and both are superb to read one after the other.

70 %
Diana Sandberg
May 06, 2013 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most enjoyable discussion of the science ideas underlying various sci-fi films and tv shows - or not underlying them, as the case may be :>). As usual, I got lost when he hit quantum mechanics in the last chapter or two. I cannot make my mind grasp this stuff, no matter how much of it I read. But I liked the rest of the book.
Chris
Dec 10, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good follow-up to The Physics of Star Trek, this time covering general SF themes like time travel, faster than light space travel, ESP, quantum mechanics, and the Force/levitation. The only downside is the 90's TV show references that make the book a little dated.
Richard Macaleese
Dec 06, 2012 Richard Macaleese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though many of Beyond Star Trek's messages don't entirely hit the mark in terms of being certifiable fact, Krauss has a knack for identifying common misconceptions in popular media. This book isn't meant to teach you. It's meant to make you think, and it does a good job with it.
Ariel
Mar 11, 2008 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-sci
As with the original, this book is well worth it if you have an interest in physics, Star Trek, or both. The accessible writing and humor make it stand out as a scientific analysis of popular science fiction concepts.
Voss
Dec 16, 2014 Voss rated it it was amazing
interessante, come al solito per i saggi di questo autore :)
Alcune parti sono un po' ostiche, ma perché proprio la materia per me è oscura :(
L'autore scrive che è un piacere e riesce a semplificare senza banalizzare.
E senza togliere fascino alla fantascienza :)
Mark
Sep 06, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the science is somewhat out of date, but an amusing read what would really happen if the ordinary SF-film was reality.
Niklaus
Jul 02, 2016 Niklaus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
spunti interessanti non solo per fan della saga ma per chi ama la scienza e la fattibilita' (o meno) di certe innovazioni tecnologiche
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Rick Beckman
Rick Beckman rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Carol Chapin
Carol Chapin rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Geert
Geert rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2010
Uri
Uri rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Paul Shelestowsky
Paul Shelestowsky rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Nikita
Nikita rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2012
Awet Ghebregziabher
Awet Ghebregziabher rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Mike Barbour
Mike Barbour rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Elly (Schrody)
Elly (Schrody) rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
The Tick
A little too much technobabble for me, but overall an interesting read.
STEVEN LAW
STEVEN LAW rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2010
S.G.A. Trotman
S.G.A. Trotman rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • The Continuing Mission
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story
  • The Science of Star Wars: An Astrophysicist's Independent Examination of Space Travel, Aliens, Planets, and Robots as Portrayed in the Star Wars Films and Books
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Time Travel
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek
  • The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Cartoon Guide Series)
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • Get a Life!
  • Warped (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • To the Stars
  • The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Prof. Lawrence M. Krauss is an internationally known theoretical physicist with wide research interests, including the interface between elementary particle physics and cosmology, where his studies include the early universe, the nature of dark matter, general relativity and neutrino astrophysics. He has investigated questions ranging from the nature of exploding stars to issues of the origin of a ...more
More about Lawrence M. Krauss...

The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond (2 books)
  • The Physics of Star Trek