To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discources

To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discources

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  2,631 ratings  ·  229 reviews
The Lord said to Joseph Smith, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you." (D&C 88:63.) In To Draw Closer to God, Elder Henry B. Eyring explains some of the ways we can claim these promises. In his thoughtful, spiritual style, he discusses such topics as le...more
Published 2004 by Deseret Book (first published 1997)

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
31st out of 183 books — 212 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Holy Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
72nd out of 87 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie
This is another book that was life-changing for me – beginning with this statement:
“You have moments when you want to be better than you have ever been. President McKay says the urge to rise above ourselves is because we are spiritual beings . . . It is far beyond a desire for ‘self-improvement.’ It is an urge to live so far above self that you could never do it on your own. Moroni said we must ‘come unto Christ . . . then is his grace sufficient for you,’ and he outlines what we must do to rec...more
Loralee
Feb 22, 2009 Loralee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Loralee by: My mom
My mother gave this book to each of her children a few Christmas's ago. I found great insights into developing my own relationship with God. This is one of those books where you can read a chapter and find yourself thinking about it for the rest of the day.

His book is filled with great wisdom. Speaking about trying to be like our Savior, Pres. Eyering says, "If we stay at it long enough, perhaps for a lifetime, we will have for so long felt what the Savior feels, wanted what he wants, and done...more
Amy
Jul 31, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: Heidi
I've discovered a common theme in President Eyring's discourses and talks: Ask God what you should do, how you should serve, how you should feel, then listen and obey. He will answer.
Kendel Christensen
Sep 29, 2012 Kendel Christensen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to feel the spirit of God more clearly in their life.
This book has a special spirit about it. I will let it do the talking:

“I hope a day doesn't begin or end that you don't consider whether something you did might have offended the Holy Ghost or made it harder for the Spirit to influence you. That is what it means to me to have a repentant heart.”
(Henry B. Eyring, To Draw Closer to God, Deseret Book [Salt Lake City: 1997], p.17-18)

“I hope you feel happiness. I do. That is an indication that we are on the right course. I can promise you that you ca...more
Cindy
Sometimes a book comes into your life at just the right time. With all the stuff going on in my family right now, this book was just what I needed to read. I love President Eyring and his calm, sweet faith that just permeates everything he says and does. In this book, I found just what I needed to help me deal with some personal heartaches. It gave the strength and the understanding to keep going just a little longer, and with God's grace, that's when things began to look a little less grim. It...more
Duane Lemmon
I read this on a trip with my young daughters while on a trip visiting family. This book was very inspiring and was much needed after what has been the roughest year of my life so far; with a pending divorce from a person that was, not only my high school sweetheart but a person that for over half my life has been my best friend and then more recently the passing of my only sibling. I found much needed guidance, reminders, comfort and enlightenment. President Eyring's discourses are put together...more
Lisa
A wonderful book that not only helps you understand your relationship with our Savior, Jesus Christ, but helps you understand how to come closer to Him and our Father in Heaven. Elder Eyring has such a wonderful way of teaching, and his words, personal stories, and testimony truly do help you draw closer to God.

*I read this during a particularly trying time in my life, and it was just what I needed.
Katie
I really enjoyed this. President Eyring is a great man and I love his stories and wisdom. I thought it would just be about helping myself draw closer to God, but there's a section at the end about helping others draw closer to God. I enjoyed that the most.
Cecily
It took me over a month to finish this book. It's so jam packed with amazing insights and talks I'd never heard or read before. I think I hesitated to get this book for so long because I thought "Why would I want a collection of conference talks that I already have access to?" But wow. This book has way more than that. There are several institute fireside talks and even an auxiliary training included in this book that were so wonderful to read and think about.

I read this book because I really am...more
Colleen
What an extraordinary thing it is to read a book written by a living prophet of Jesus Christ teaching us how we may draw closer to our Eternal Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. The last chapter was an overview of everything else as he taught us how to teach others, to touch their lives with faith unto repentance, so that our own faith is nurtured by obedience to his Holy Word.

Throughout the book the simple formula is reinforced: desire to have faith in Jesus Christ, growing that faith through...more
Phillip
More than just a collection of spiritual address from President Eyring, these speeches have been carefully sequenced to guide the reader, no matter what level of discipleship they are currently abiding, to step by step, as the title states, “draw closer to God.” Most of these addresses come from presentation given outside of General Conference and will be new to most readers. Thos few chapters that do come from the General Conferece podium bear with them a nostalgic comfort amidst the energy of...more
Heather
I LOVE this book! I love Elder Eyring and his words and example! These talks teach so many important things about faith, listening to and following the Spirit, waiting on the Lord, living with gratitude and being your testimony. There are so many important words and lessons that have helped me try to draw closer to the Savior. This is a book full of principles I need to continue to focus on. I love the lesson from one of the last talks in the book to:

1. Teach a sacred truth.
2. Testify that we kn...more
Kami
Excellent book. There was a lot of interesting points made that I had never thought of before. I especially liked the chapter on how dealing with doubts can never be dealt with from a wholly logical and fact-based angle because they'll always be more arguments etc.; at some point you just have to decide whether to go on faith or not.
Cami
I loved reviewing these sermons from the 1980s and 1990s. There is some wonderful guidance in here that I found myself pondering when I wasn't reading. The thing that really stuck out to me was his near constant use of the scriptures. He knows them well and can apply them to many situations. I particularly noted his frequent quoting of Moroni 8:25-26 and wrote his name next to those verses in my Book of Mormon.
VeeDawn
I always enjoy the humble spirit and humor that Henry B. Eyring has in anything he does. I love when he said, "You won't always see the miracles that come from your work, which is probably a blessing. If you did, you would get proud."
Emily
I love listening to President Eyring speak. He is a man of goodness, humility, and faith, all of which are evident in his writings and testimony in this book. There were many messages here that I needed to read…hearing the voice of God through his servants (even the humblest and simplest among us), learning to recognize and act on promptings daily, and the idea that gaining more light and truth is dependent on how well we are living the truth we have already received, to name a few. Some things...more
Thomas Giles
This book came to me at an inspired time in my life. Elder Eyring is clear and precise in his instruction. He also, at times, sneaks in some very great and profound thoughts that can easily be overlooked.
Janetkc7wvy
This is a compilation of talks by Henry B Eyring. It is very motivating. A book I will probably return to for help when I need a lift or a reminder to become closer to God.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2010 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Bishop Stokes, Dad
Shelves: religion
This is a fantastic book, given to me at a crucial point in my life. President Eyring speaks with experience and compassion. He does not present gospel principles with a one-size-fits-all model. He puts the gospel in real life, not just the cliche phrases we use, but application. There were many times when I thought,yes, that is exactly how I feel. If he knows you can feel that way and he still believes it, than maybe I can come back to belief.

This work is one of love, guidance, and reassurance...more
Genevieve
The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars is because I picked it up with the expectation that it would be a little more recent and (even though it says on the cover that it's a collection of discourses) I was expecting more of a book.
However, it was quite the read. President Eyring is so practical, faithful, and obedient in his approach to the Gospel. I just love how he says that even though sometimes we may not understand, there is nothing we want more than eternal life and therefore, not...more
Angela
I loved this book - It was just what I needed when I read it. The language is clear and straightforward, but also very insightful. The pages are filled with simple wisdom, interesting anecdotes, touching experiences, and loving encouragement. Topics include finding more power in our personal prayers, learning humility and obedience in following and sustaining our leaders, strengthening our families and homes, to name just a few.

I especially enjoyed listening to the audio book version, which Henr...more
Karen
For whatever reason I was drawn to this book right now and it was exactly what I needed to read. So...5 STARS!

It's a collection of different talks he's given, but they are put together perfectly so that they build and grow from each other.

I might need to buy this one because I took about 10 pages of notes...might as well just mark up my own copy!

I would highly recommend it. There is a focus on drawing closer to God, but, of course, most things do that for you when you're trying to live some pr...more
Phyrman21
President Eyring is not only a magnificent speaker, but can write to. Inspiring advice.
Shad
This is better than many collected works because there was some effort put into selecting and organizing the talks topically as well as editing them for book format (i.e., changing references to audience from listeners to readers). President Eyring's citations and analysis of scripture combines with personal stories and testimony to motivate the reader to act on the guidance he gives and the promptings that those seeking the Spirit will receive as they read. Also, it is small and easy to carry w...more
Jill
This is "a collection of discourses" given by Elder Eyring. Many I had never heard before reading this book. Not surprising. I've only lived a short time. :)

The book is organized into three parts - Hearing, Heeding, and Helping Others Draw Closer to God. My favorite section was 'Hearing'. Mmm, maybe 'Heeding'. I don't know. They were all good, but some of the discourses spoke to me more than others.

I learned. I was encouraged and uplifted and I received a lot of hope from his examples and testi...more
LauraLee
Just recently reread this book and I loved it even more!
Motherhouse
This book changed my life. It outlines all the LDS gospel principles I suspected existed, Brother Eyring outlines them in such a beautiful way. It brings to light the scripture "When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." Great information on how to get inspiration, increase your trust in your relationship with God and live up to all the higher principles that exist in Zion. I could feel the love Brother Eyring has for others on every page and it inspired me to be better. Marci Jensen
Jessica
This was a beautiful book, with so many things to learn and apply. I love President Eyring's teaching style. Everything he taught in this book seemed perfectly performable and it made me want to be better. I also love that the book has a section about helping others draw to God and about our responsibilities in this area; one of my favorite chapters in the book was in this section. I think this is a great book for understanding some things about what we need to do to draw ourselves closer to Chr...more
Erin
I think Henry B. Eyring is one of my favorite speakers. I love to hear him talk. As I read each of these discources, I could hear his voice in my mind. This book is packed with great, powerful truths. I could relate to most of his examples. He gave simple, meaningful steps to increase our communication with God. These concepts are easily understood and easy to follow. (at least for me) I loved this book and will definately read it again and again.
Danielle
I read this book in college and came to know and love Henry B. Eyring through it. Now that he's in the First Presidency, we get to hear even more from him, and I'm just continually impressed with how humble and inspiring he is. That really comes through in this book, and the title is perfect. This collection of talks really paves the way and provides the motivation for developing a stronger relationship with God. I should read this again.
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • The Infinite Atonement
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • No Doubt About It
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
Henry Bennion Eyring is an American educational administrator and religious leader who is First Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Eyring was the Second Counselor to Gordon B. Hinckley in the First Presidency from October 6, 2007 until Hinckley's death on January 27, 2008. On February 3, 2008, Eyring was called to be the First Counsel...more
More about Henry B. Eyring...
Because He First Loved Us Reflections of a Scientist The Faith of a Scientist Choose Higher Ground Learning in the Light of Faith