Start by marking “Dějiny Číny” as Want to Read:
Dějiny Číny

Dějiny Číny

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  492 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Autor neotřelým pohledem a veden novými poznatky zprostředkovává dlouhou historii Číny, četné proudy a proměny, jež v ní probíhaly, vzpoury a revoluce, dávné úžasné úspěchy a smutné prohry v nejnovější době.
Hardcover, Dějiny států, 656 pages
Published 1998 by Lidové noviny (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dějiny Číny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dějiny Číny

Mkp
Jan 05, 2010 Mkp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-culture
There is more of a focus on the Qing dynasty and after. In general, when compared to Hucker and Gernet, Fairbank & Goldman (I abbreviate 'Fairbank' from here on) are more closely interested in mechanisms, both governmental and economic, that predominated during historical times. He gives references to the range of academic studies concerning particular issues without getting bogged down in academic disputes.

However none of the books give a convincing explanation of the decline in wealth that
Jessica Robinson
I feel like it's wicked obvious both what books I'm cataloging right now and also that I'm the one that made the suggestions on what we should get in this section.
Luke Williams
Aug 09, 2013 Luke Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry and academic but brilliantly comprehensive, Fairbank explores China's extensive history from political, economic, cultural, social and philosophical perspectives.

Before reading this book, most of what I knew about China had either trickled down from the media or from even less reliable sources. Now the progression of this vast region of the world has been integrated into my broader understanding of human history, and I am richer for the experience.
Barbara
Feb 12, 2008 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far I hate this book. The authors have managed to make what should be a fascinating history utterly boring and tedious.

I doubt I'll finish it.
Matt
Jul 06, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About as good of an overview of China's "5000 year history" as you're going to get in 500 pages. Just be aware that it reads like a textbook with an overwhelming barrage of names and dates, although that shouldn't come as any surprise to Chinese history enthusiasts. In fact, I read this book under the recommendation of a friend of mine from Harvard who DID use it as a required text for an introductory class (John King Fairbank taught at the department of Chinese studies there, which now shares h ...more
Douglas Hayes
Sep 22, 2010 Douglas Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Of all of the books I have read so far on China this has been the most helpful to date. Fairbank presents his material in such a way that the reader has a sense that he is getting both an accurate presentation of the facts of history, and a reasoned explanation for them. He has the ability to reach down below the surface and draw up to the mind the reasons why things happened as they did, and why China is the way it is. This is especially helpful when trying to understand China from the perspect ...more
Jason
Nov 13, 2007 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrting a concise one-volume history of China must be akin to the old open-ended essay topic: "define the universe, and give three examples". Fairbank does about as well as one could, using China's past of confucianism to explain the philosophy of say, the Tiananmen Square massacre or the Cultural Revolution of the late 60's. In this he does a very able job, and to this untrained historian at least, the events that transpire become almost predictable.

On the negative side, history in the sense of
Ethan Cramer-Flood
Reading this book cover to cover may be one of the nerdiest things I've ever done, and that's saying something. China: A New History is literally a text book. It's what college students are often assigned as their base resource for a class likely to be called "China Studies 101" or "Chinese History 101". It's the kind of thing that professors assign, but students rarely read all the way through. Maybe you catch a chapter here and there, but there's no way you have the patience to read the whole ...more
Clay Kallam
Nov 22, 2012 Clay Kallam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this isn't five stars is that I would have liked more detail about the earlier Chinese dynasties, but all in all, this gave me just what I wanted: An overall background in Chinese history.

John King Fairbank, who wrote all but the last two chapters, is more than a competent writer, and the chapters are broken up into short, easily digestible sections that allow readers many options for stopping points. Fairbanks' command of the material is obvious, and though this is clearly a wor
Jack Ziegler
Nov 01, 2015 Jack Ziegler marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, history
Since I decided to be a chaperone for Jenny's trip to China in the spring, I figure I should learn some more about the country. This is a recommendation from http://wikitravel.org/en/China.
AskHistorians
An excellent introduction to the topic by the doyen of American Sinology. China's modern history is the main concern, but the earlier periods are treated sufficiently.
Anh  Le
This book is excellent for those who have somewhat learned about Chinese history from other general introductory titles and sought to consolidate their understandings of these historical events. This feature made it superior to any (supposedly) titles for beginners out there with very thought-provoking and in-depth analyses that even addressed and challenged any historiographical frameworks of studying Chinese prehistory and the modern periods. I highly recommend this book to advanced students w ...more
Alexander Eichner
Feb 08, 2016 Alexander Eichner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A deep, thorough, expansive general history of China. I'm sure I missed a lot on my first read through.
Jordyne
Mar 30, 2013 Jordyne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Tried several times but just can't get thru this book. I've been spoiled by the likes of Doris Kearns Goodwin, David McCullough. Can't go back to dense, ultra academic, dry writing, no matter how thorough or interesting the points.
Billy
Nov 17, 2011 Billy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an excellent introduction to the history of China. It tends to gloss over quite a bit, but it provides enough background and context to get a better understanding about why China behaves the way it does. Fascinating!
Chase
Jul 23, 2008 Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit dated (published 1992), but it gives a great overview of Chinese history. The author is a good historian and a good writer. I learned a lot, and this will be a good foundation for future China reading.
Kevin
Nov 10, 2010 Kevin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just bought this. Psyched to get reading about the Shang, Zhou and Xia dynasties way back at the beginning of Chinese history, the legendary culutres idolized by Confucius and that influenced his teachings.
James Violand
Jun 29, 2014 James Violand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Quintessential book of the history of the Chinese people and culture. Written without the prejudice born during the Red Scare. Factual and seemingly unbiased. Wonderful read.
Chris Gould
Apr 04, 2012 Chris Gould rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic overview for anyone who's willing to stick it out. Fairbank's style is simply witty and entertaining, and Goldman's Businesslike concluding chapter helps emphasize this.
Richard
Dec 02, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, ebook
Excellent summary of China. I liked how it doesn't always go chronologically, but walks through different aspects of Chinese society and history so you can see it as a whole.
Nick Black
Borders, recommendation from a friendly Morehouse history professor, 2008-05-13. Good but certainly not great.
Marcie
He does an extraordinary job at making a brilliant, fascinating history quite bland and tedious.
Raymond Thomas
Aug 15, 2014 Raymond Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Interesting analysis of China's history and the causes behind its current development today.
Dan
Nov 11, 2008 Dan marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I'm continuing this book that I started on my August trip to China. Actually, I just started over.
Mclane
Mar 11, 2015 Mclane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read 1/2, up to 20th century. good
Leon
Leon marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Rudi Miller
Rudi Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kristie Yang
Kristie Yang marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • The Search for Modern China
  • The Cambridge Illustrated History of China
  • Restless Empire: China and the World Since 1750
  • A History of Chinese Civilization
  • Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic
  • Fanshen: A Documentary of Revolution in a Chinese Village
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • 1587: A Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Emperor of China: Self-Portrait of K'ang-Hsi
  • Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China
  • Mao's Last Revolution
  • Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War
  • China in the 21st Century
  • The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy
  • China Between Empires: The Northern and Southern Dynasties (History of Imperial China)
  • Chairman Mao Would Not Be Amused: Fiction from Today's China