Dějiny Číny

Dějiny Číny

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Autor neotřelým pohledem a veden novými poznatky zprostředkovává dlouhou historii Číny, četné proudy a proměny, jež v ní probíhaly, vzpoury a revoluce, dávné úžasné úspěchy a smutné prohry v nejnovější době.
Hardcover, Dějiny států, 656 pages
Published 1998 by Lidové noviny (first published 1992)

Mkp
There is more of a focus on the Qing dynasty and after. In general, when compared to Hucker and Gernet, Fairbank & Goldman (I abbreviate 'Fairbank' from here on) are more closely interested in mechanisms, both governmental and economic, that predominated during historical times. He gives references to the range of academic studies concerning particular issues without getting bogged down in academic disputes.

However none of the books give a convincing explanation of the decline in wealth that...more
Luke Williams
Dry and academic but brilliantly comprehensive, Fairbank explores China's extensive history from political, economic, cultural, social and philosophical perspectives.

Before reading this book, most of what I knew about China had either trickled down from the media or from even less reliable sources. Now the progression of this vast region of the world has been integrated into my broader understanding of human history, and I am richer for the experience.
Don Robertson
Reading somewhat like a census taker's summation, John King Fairbank's, "CHINA, A New History" is an almost sterile academic work that gives names, dates, accounts for size and proportion, relates incidents, and draws the commonly polemic conclusions of an academic air. This work rarely provides a human glimpse at the CHINA the book advertises to be about. This is not a book to read to understand CHINA. This is a book to read only as a preface to reading other books that can really tell a reader...more
Barbara
So far I hate this book. The authors have managed to make what should be a fascinating history utterly boring and tedious.

I doubt I'll finish it.
Matt
About as good of an overview of China's "5000 year history" as you're going to get in 500 pages. Just be aware that it reads like a textbook with an overwhelming barrage of names and dates, although that shouldn't come as any surprise to Chinese history enthusiasts. In fact, I read this book under the recommendation of a friend of mine from Harvard who DID use it as a required text for an introductory class (John King Fairbank taught at the department of Chinese studies there, which now shares h...more
Douglas Hayes
Of all of the books I have read so far on China this has been the most helpful to date. Fairbank presents his material in such a way that the reader has a sense that he is getting both an accurate presentation of the facts of history, and a reasoned explanation for them. He has the ability to reach down below the surface and draw up to the mind the reasons why things happened as they did, and why China is the way it is. This is especially helpful when trying to understand China from the perspect...more
Jason
Wrting a concise one-volume history of China must be akin to the old open-ended essay topic: "define the universe, and give three examples". Fairbank does about as well as one could, using China's past of confucianism to explain the philosophy of say, the Tiananmen Square massacre or the Cultural Revolution of the late 60's. In this he does a very able job, and to this untrained historian at least, the events that transpire become almost predictable.

On the negative side, history in the sense of...more
Ethan Cramer-Flood
Reading this book cover to cover may be one of the nerdiest things I've ever done, and that's saying something. China: A New History is literally a text book. It's what college students are often assigned as their base resource for a class likely to be called "China Studies 101" or "Chinese History 101". It's the kind of thing that professors assign, but students rarely read all the way through. Maybe you catch a chapter here and there, but there's no way you have the patience to read the whole...more
Clay
The only reason this isn't five stars is that I would have liked more detail about the earlier Chinese dynasties, but all in all, this gave me just what I wanted: An overall background in Chinese history.

John King Fairbank, who wrote all but the last two chapters, is more than a competent writer, and the chapters are broken up into short, easily digestible sections that allow readers many options for stopping points. Fairbanks' command of the material is obvious, and though this is clearly a wor...more
Anh  Le
This book is excellent for those who have somewhat learned about Chinese history from other general introductory titles and sought to consolidate their understandings of these historical events. This feature made it superior to any (supposedly) titles for beginners out there with very thought-provoking and in-depth analyses that even addressed and challenged any historiographical frameworks of studying Chinese prehistory and the modern periods. I highly recommend this book to advanced students w...more
Jordyne
Tried several times but just can't get thru this book. I've been spoiled by the likes of Doris Kearns Goodwin, David McCullough. Can't go back to dense, ultra academic, dry writing, no matter how thorough or interesting the points.
Billy
Overall, an excellent introduction to the history of China. It tends to gloss over quite a bit, but it provides enough background and context to get a better understanding about why China behaves the way it does. Fascinating!
Chase
This book is a bit dated (published 1992), but it gives a great overview of Chinese history. The author is a good historian and a good writer. I learned a lot, and this will be a good foundation for future China reading.
Kevin
Nov 10, 2010 Kevin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just bought this. Psyched to get reading about the Shang, Zhou and Xia dynasties way back at the beginning of Chinese history, the legendary culutres idolized by Confucius and that influenced his teachings.
James Violand
Quintessential book of the history of the Chinese people and culture. Written without the prejudice born during the Red Scare. Factual and seemingly unbiased. Wonderful read.
Chris Gould
Fantastic overview for anyone who's willing to stick it out. Fairbank's style is simply witty and entertaining, and Goldman's Businesslike concluding chapter helps emphasize this.
Richard
Excellent summary of China. I liked how it doesn't always go chronologically, but walks through different aspects of Chinese society and history so you can see it as a whole.
Nick Black
Borders, recommendation from a friendly Morehouse history professor, 2008-05-13. Good but certainly not great.
Marcie
He does an extraordinary job at making a brilliant, fascinating history quite bland and tedious.
Raymond Thomas
Interesting analysis of China's history and the causes behind its current development today.
Dan
Nov 11, 2008 Dan marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I'm continuing this book that I started on my August trip to China. Actually, I just started over.
Brooke
Brooke is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Azzageddi
Azzageddi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Daniel Penfold
Daniel Penfold marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Search for Modern China
  • The Cambridge Illustrated History of China
  • Restless Empire: China and the World Since 1750
  • 1587, a Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline
  • Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China
  • China: A History
  • Sources of Chinese Tradition: Volume 1: From Earliest Times to 1600
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • The Penguin History Of Modern China: The Fall And Rise Of A Great Power, 1850 2008
  • The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy
  • China Wakes: The Struggle For The Soul Of A Rising Power
  • The Opium War
  • One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China
  • Mao's Great Famine: The History Of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62
  • Emperor of China: Self-Portrait of K'ang-Hsi
  • Mr. China: A Memoir
Great Chinese Revolution 1800-1985 East Asia: Tradition and Transformation (Revised Edition) The United States and China The Cambridge History of China, Volume 12: Republican China, 1912-1949 The Cambridge History of China, Volume 10: Late Ch'ing. 1800-1911, Part 1