Start by marking “Empire of the Beetle: How Human Folly and a Tiny Bug Are Killing North America's Great Forests” as Want to Read:

A Globe & Mail Top 100 Selection

Beginning in the late 1980s, a series of pine beetle (also known as the bark beetle) outbreaks unsettled iconic forests and communities across western North America. An insect the size of a rice kernel eventually killed more than 30 billion pine and spruce trees from Alaska to New Mexico.

The pine beetle didn't act alone. Misguided scien
Published June 21st 2011 by Greystone Books / David Suzuki Foundation

To ask other readers questions about Empire of the Beetle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of the Beetle

Ruth Seeley
Dec 10, 2011 Ruth Seeley rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read that, unfortunately, is mostly a scathing indictment of corporate and political folly (what's unfortunate about it is that there doesn't seem to be any way back, given the perfect storm we've colluded in creating by promoting monoculture instead of the natural diversity nature intended). Nikiforuk's a compelling writer, and provides an excellent overview of the factors that have combined to doom our forests: a refusal to let forests renew themselves by fire; global warming lea ...more
Andrew
Nov 15, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This might be the only book about forests I'd recommend to the average reader ahead of The Golden Spruce. Basically global warming and fire suppression have created a perfect storm, with beetles breeding faster, surviving winter more often and increasing in range every year. The Mountain Pine Beetle's moved east through Alberta's Peace river area, and now has unimpeded access to Jack Pines from Yukon to Newfoundland. There's a truly terrifying scale to all bark beetle bubbles from towering Sitka ...more
Diana Sandberg
Wow - a non-fiction book that I found as compelling reading as a good novel. Nikiforuk deftly interweaves information about the recent history of various beetle infestations of forests with a larger focus on the ecology of forests in general, the life cycle of these beetles and the complexity of their interactions with not only trees but mites and fungus. He includes stories of ancient trees with singular pollinators and their crucial significance to bears. And he delineates the human elements - ...more
Gin Getz
Feb 10, 2014 Gin Getz rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book as "the bible on beetle kill" and I was not disappointed. Mr. Nikiforuk has done his research, presents the story, and tells it well, in a manner not strictly scientific and "above" the reader, but for and with the reader. If you're interested in learning about the bark beetle, its history and the wake of damage, I highly recommend.
Jace Stansbury
Feb 09, 2014 Jace Stansbury rated it it was amazing
For all you beetle lovers this is the book for you.
Mortalform
Sep 23, 2012 Mortalform rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mortalform by: ALECC conference
An Anchorage newspaper made an astute observation about the infestation: "In a sense the beetle is managing spruce forests by killing old trees and leaving the new. But the Forest Service would rather manage its own trees. And has been experimenting with ways to beat the beetle at its game." p 9

This book brilliantly illustrates the fact that humanity does more harm than good when it gets in the way of nature's design. As humans we simply lack the capacity to understand nature's systems with the
Dan
Mar 25, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
Overall, I quite liked this book. Entertaining to read, and of course I feel like I finally have a proper understanding of the beetle phenomena. I totally agree with Nikiforuk's analysis of the forest industry and in fact, feel like he could have been even MORE damning of it at times. My only problem with the book was the occasional metaphor that felt a bit overdramatic, and redundant. He occasionally repeats himself, although it's not too big of a problem. I'll definitely read some more from hi ...more
Rebecca Ferrera
Jan 22, 2013 Rebecca Ferrera rated it really liked it
This book is very informative and certainly contains as much information about bugs as I've ever wanted to know. It has been a while since I've read it, but I recall feeling a bit depressed after finishing the book, with a sense of doom about all western forests. Since then the beetle disaster has faded from the news and the crisis was apparently dealt with, but my money is on the certainty that there's another one just around the corner that has resulted (or will result) from climate change.
Mar 09, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: amznsell, own
Have always wondered about the pine beetles and folks always ask me since I'm an entomologist. The book was a bit dry and repetitive, but an interesting exploration of the underlying dangers to America's forests made apparent, but not necessarily caused by, the pine beetle. Could have done without the random side comments about Stephen wood being a Mormon...they were unneeded jabs that had nothing to do with the story and interrupted the flow of the scientific text.
Buddy Burton
Apr 20, 2016 Buddy Burton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a yearning for life
It was a really interesting read. Sure it was a bit technical at times and I might not have known the meaning of the odd word here or there. But I was thoroughly interested all the time and honestly feel like I learned a lot. Not just brain knowledge but also growth in my understanding of the world as a whole.

Thank you Mr. Nikiforuk
Emiko Morita
Sep 21, 2011 Emiko Morita rated it really liked it
I think Mr. Nikiforuk fell in love with beetles while researching this book! It's a fascinating read and I loved the anecdotes about artists who have created everything from compositions to sculptures.
Jerry Haigh
Jan 05, 2013 Jerry Haigh rated it really liked it
Much more information about beetles than I had ever realized. Human folly and greed and their failed attempts to deal with natural cycles. A thoroughly researched account that will fascinate students of natural history.
Bharat
Nov 10, 2011 Bharat rated it really liked it
Wow, great read heartbreaking and life-affirming at the same time. Nikiforuk really brings out the complexity of the beetle-tree interaction and tries to disabuse us of the notion that we can control ecosystems.
Charles Tripp
Jun 22, 2013 Charles Tripp rated it did not like it
To opinionated for me, if the author stuck to the facts and didn't place his opinion of every fact that he stated it would have been a great book, great writing tho. I would like to check other books by this author to see how he is on other topics.
Holly
Oct 25, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Who knew a book about beetles could be so enthralling? I really only picked this up because I enjoyed Nikiforuk's Tar Sands book so much - but am I ever glad I did.
David Kessler
Oct 25, 2011 David Kessler rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book which shows how foulish we can be in trying to stop nature run its course.
Short and sweet reading.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
While the content was extremely interesting and important, it seemed as if the author ran out of time to incorporate edits and make his thoughts flow coherently.
Caroline
Mar 22, 2016 Caroline rated it liked it
This book needed maps and photos. Some of the metaphors were crass and offensive. But, I liked the cultural history of the beetle at the end.
ACRL
Feb 19, 2013 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Kathleen Monks. Learn more about Kathleen on the ACRL Insider blog.
Wen Xiang
Wen Xiang rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Jstill
Jstill rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Heike Lttrr
Heike Lttrr rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Rob Orton
Rob Orton rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Kennedy
Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2011
Benjamin Kahn
Benjamin Kahn rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Stephan
Stephan rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Hopeful Monsters
  • Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
  • The Republic of Nature: An Environmental History of the United States
  • The Future of Nature: Writing on Human Ecology from Orion Magazine
  • The Abominable Charles Christopher, Vol. 1
  • Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • The Quiet World: Saving Alaska's Wilderness Kingdom, 1879-1960
  • Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • Unquenchable: America's Water Crisis and What To Do About It
  • The Big Picture: Reflections on Science, Humanity, and a Quickly Changing Planet
  • The Eternal Frontier: An Ecological History of North America and Its Peoples
  • Chrysalis: Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • Blue Desert
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life
Andrew Nikiforuk is a leading investigative journalist who has written about education, economics, and the environment for the past two decades. His work has appeared in a variety of Canadian publications including The Walrus, Maclean's, Canadian Business, Report on Business, Chatelaine, Georgia Straight, Equinox and Harrowsmith.

He is the author of the critically acclaimed Empire of the Beetle and
More about Andrew Nikiforuk...