The Final Battle

The Final Battle (Legion #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Confederacy is threatened by an uprising of the Hudathans, an unfeeling cyborg race that has built up its forces through stolen technology, and their only opponents are the members of the Legion.
Published July 1st 1995 by Ace Books

Mike (the Paladin)
I had a long review of this 99% done, and accidentally closed the window without saving....sigh.

Anyway, I read the first of this series sometime in the 90s. I liked it. I always meant to get back to the series, but there are so many books already waiting to be read on my shelves (you know how demanding those books can be. Sometimes I'd wake up and they'd be looming over me where they'd crept up to the bed in the night...) Ummm-humm, as I was saying... I'd just read a military science fiction by...more
Fred Hughes
In this military science fiction series, of which this is book two, we have the legendary Legionnaires as our protagonists.

Humanity had defeated the Hudathan fleet and taken prisoners. It seemed only poetic justice to place them on Worbers World which they had devastated. Now 20 years on, something is happening on Worbers World.

The Hudathans rise again and the War starts again. New technology on both sides presents challenges all around. Humanity has a secret weapon, but are unsure whether it ca...more
Melanie Brown
As my comments from Legion of the Damned stated, I looked through my boyfriend's books, found this book and squirreled it away to begin reading the moment I finished the previous book. Again, Mr. Dietz did not disappoint in creating a vision of the future detailed enough to understand, but not so detailed that you would have a tendency to get bogged down in it.
By the time the first few chapters were past Mr. Dietz had shocked me several times, though perhaps regular science fiction readers might...more
Julian
I thought book 1 was not too bad. Not great but a little fun and some of the main characters were developed enough to care for them when thrown into peril. This time, the characters were fairly wooden and the story line was just not interesting or epic enough. I know there are quite a few books in this series so the author must stretch the universe he has created as far as he possibly can. For me, this did not do to well and the story was far too minor to be worthy of a whole book, it felt more...more
Jason
Jun 26, 2011 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans
I enjoyed reading The Legion of the Damned, and though it had its problems, I looked forward to reading the second book in the series. I was never able to find it in local bookstores though, and my wife ordered it for my 32nd birthday.

Summary
Nearly twenty years after the alien beings known as the Hudathans were defeated at the Battle of Algeron and the human imperial government collapsed, the Hudathan prisoners, including War Leader Poseen-Ka, are kept on Worber’s World. The planet’s surface wa...more
Melanie
Scott Holstad
William Dietz's The Final Battle is a sequel to The Legion of the Damned, and at first glance, it's not too bad. However, while I generally enjoyed the book, the more I think about it, the more nit picky I get. There are simply too many "issues" to ignore in the writing of this book.

First of all, the book picks up 20 years after the climax of the first book, the victory at the battle of Algeron by the humans led by the Legion (patterned after the French Foreign Legion, but staffed by dead people...more
Stephen Hinton
Very good book. A lot of twists and action in the plot
Howard Anders
Great sequel to Mr. Dietz' "Legion of the Damned". At the conclusion of "Legion of the Damned" the Confederation elected to not follow up their victory over the Hudathans with an attack on the Hudathan home worlds. The defeated Hudathans are now confined to one of the worlds they attempted to destroy, as POWs. The leaders of the Confederacy, and their Legion and Marine forces will come to regret that decision. This is outstanding military science fiction.
LMW
I am currently reading the whole series (#5 now). I like it enough to keep going. I think they are fairly well done, in terms of military SciFi. There is nothing too deep, and personal scenes tend to come through like cheap romance drama, but fortunately, not a lot of those. Nothing deep here, just good reading.
Francis Gahren
Dietz continues the adventures of the elite army of cyborg warriors known as The Legion. Defeated at the hands of the Legion, the alien Hudathans plan to use copycat technology to create their own corps of cyborgs and target the heart of the Confederacy.
Dave
Good read. Fun military sci fi. Rushed ending, could've been longer overall.
Mark Baller
Great military Science Fiction 7 more books to go. ( I am loving it.
Bill
Plenty of action as the Confederacy battles the resurgent Hudathans.
Michael Harley
I love military sci-fi and I really ejoyed Dietz.
Wilco Roos
Wilco Roos is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Michael Rutkowski
Michael Rutkowski marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Eric Fetsch
Eric Fetsch marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sorin
Sorin added it
Jul 21, 2014
  • Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • Carnifex
  • Orphanage (Jason Wander, #1)
  • Steel World (Undying Mercenaries, #1)
  • The Last Legion (The Last Legion, #1)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Path of the Fury
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
William C. Dietz grew up in the Seattle area, spent time with the Navy and Marine Corps as a corpsman, graduated from the University of Washington and worked as a surgical technician, college instructor, and news writer. Later he worked for US West in a number of different marketing communications and public relations related positions, before leaving to accept a job as Director of Public Relation...more
More about William C. Dietz...
Halo: The Flood Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1) Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1) Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4) Soldier for the Empire (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #1)