Start by marking “Either Side Of Winter” as Want to Read:
Either Side Of Winter

Either Side Of Winter

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Executed with sympathy, tenderness and emotional nuance, the four parts of this novel come together to form a picture of people whose lives are inextricably linked by circumstance, community and a need to be loved.
Paperback
Published by Faber & Faber (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Either Side Of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Either Side Of Winter

Amy
This book was OK. It's four slightly overlapping novellas, the last two of which fit together best and are the most interesting. I found myself not caring at all about the characters in the first two. Overall so-so.
Ethelberta
A slow, beautiful book.
Kilean
Broken into three separate sections that could easily be read as novellas. All three of the main protags in each section are teachers or loosely attached to a teacher and all three stories are connected. Clean, sparse prose with a whole lot of emotion. Admirable writing really, not easy to mimic -- to keep the sentences so short and the emotional tone strong throughout. Actually, this is a pretty damn melancholy book and probably best read in the wintertime. It's also really strong.
Kathy jenkins
Took a bit to get into. I felt like I was reading some prized student's work. The words form carefully constructed sentences that leave me wishing I had taken more lit classes so I could better describe what I read. Once I got past that bit of intimidation I realized I was interested in the story of four individuals whose lives intersect but whose stories are told separately. Interesting reading although it makes me glad I am not a new yorker.
Andrea
I received this book from the goodreads giveaways. I had a hard time getting into the book, and as someone else stated in an earlier review I didnt feel a connection to the characters, whcih made it hard to care what happened to them. It was an ok read, but I personally could not get emotionally invested in it.

Claudia
Four loosely connected novellas about teachers and pupils and fathers and daughters. I liked Markovits's writing style a lot, but I didn't enjoy the book itself because at no point of the story did I manage to emotionally connect to or even care about any of the characters. A rather frustrating, unrewarding read.
Shannon
Although I by no means read this book carefully, the writing was very confusing, choppy, and generally unclear. I found the first story to be boring and odd. While the message was good, it wasn't worth the 63 pages it took to get it to it.
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Marcus Hed
Marcus Hed is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Joanna
Joanna is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Benobo Rassellini
Benobo Rassellini marked it as to-read
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Gyeyok Parah
Gyeyok Parah marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
KH
KH added it
Feb 06, 2015
Joy Rose
Joy Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Leo Litonjua
Leo Litonjua marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Imposture A Quiet Adjustment: A Novel Childish Loves: A Novel Playing Days The Syme Papers