Start by marking “Either Side Of Winter” as Want to Read:
Either Side Of Winter

Either Side Of Winter

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Executed with sympathy, tenderness and emotional nuance, the four parts of this novel come together to form a picture of people whose lives are inextricably linked by circumstance, community and a need to be loved.
Published by Faber & Faber (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Either Side Of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Either Side Of Winter

Tina Tamman
I loved the first half of this book. It was so beautifully written and somewhat mysterious (why was Amy crying every night, as the very first sentence says). I had not yet worked out where we were going and I like surprises. By the time I finished the third episode (it is really a novel made up of loosely-linked novellas) I began to resent its pervasive melancholy. I also felt there were too many details about too many characters: who was whose father and mother, etc. I could no longer take in w ...more
This book was OK. It's four slightly overlapping novellas, the last two of which fit together best and are the most interesting. I found myself not caring at all about the characters in the first two. Overall so-so.
A slow, beautiful book.
Broken into three separate sections that could easily be read as novellas. All three of the main protags in each section are teachers or loosely attached to a teacher and all three stories are connected. Clean, sparse prose with a whole lot of emotion. Admirable writing really, not easy to mimic -- to keep the sentences so short and the emotional tone strong throughout. Actually, this is a pretty damn melancholy book and probably best read in the wintertime. It's also really strong.
Kathy jenkins
Took a bit to get into. I felt like I was reading some prized student's work. The words form carefully constructed sentences that leave me wishing I had taken more lit classes so I could better describe what I read. Once I got past that bit of intimidation I realized I was interested in the story of four individuals whose lives intersect but whose stories are told separately. Interesting reading although it makes me glad I am not a new yorker.
I received this book from the goodreads giveaways. I had a hard time getting into the book, and as someone else stated in an earlier review I didnt feel a connection to the characters, whcih made it hard to care what happened to them. It was an ok read, but I personally could not get emotionally invested in it.

Four loosely connected novellas about teachers and pupils and fathers and daughters. I liked Markovits's writing style a lot, but I didn't enjoy the book itself because at no point of the story did I manage to emotionally connect to or even care about any of the characters. A rather frustrating, unrewarding read.
Although I by no means read this book carefully, the writing was very confusing, choppy, and generally unclear. I found the first story to be boring and odd. While the message was good, it wasn't worth the 63 pages it took to get it to it.
Not as good as his series inspired by Byron.
Vojtech Sebastian
Vojtech Sebastian is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2015
Nonums marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Ms. Bentley
Ms. Bentley marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Elisa is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Marcus Hed
Marcus Hed is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Joanna is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Benobo Rassellini
Benobo Rassellini marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Casey marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Imposture A Quiet Adjustment: A Novel You Don't Have to Live Like This: A Novel Childish Loves: A Novel Playing Days