Start by marking “Either Side Of Winter” as Want to Read:
Either Side Of Winter

Either Side Of Winter

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Executed with sympathy, tenderness and emotional nuance, the four parts of this novel come together to form a picture of people whose lives are inextricably linked by circumstance, community and a need to be loved.
Paperback
Published by Faber & Faber (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Either Side Of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Either Side Of Winter

Amy
This book was OK. It's four slightly overlapping novellas, the last two of which fit together best and are the most interesting. I found myself not caring at all about the characters in the first two. Overall so-so.
Kilean
Broken into three separate sections that could easily be read as novellas. All three of the main protags in each section are teachers or loosely attached to a teacher and all three stories are connected. Clean, sparse prose with a whole lot of emotion. Admirable writing really, not easy to mimic -- to keep the sentences so short and the emotional tone strong throughout. Actually, this is a pretty damn melancholy book and probably best read in the wintertime. It's also really strong.
Kathy jenkins
Took a bit to get into. I felt like I was reading some prized student's work. The words form carefully constructed sentences that leave me wishing I had taken more lit classes so I could better describe what I read. Once I got past that bit of intimidation I realized I was interested in the story of four individuals whose lives intersect but whose stories are told separately. Interesting reading although it makes me glad I am not a new yorker.
Andrea
I received this book from the goodreads giveaways. I had a hard time getting into the book, and as someone else stated in an earlier review I didnt feel a connection to the characters, whcih made it hard to care what happened to them. It was an ok read, but I personally could not get emotionally invested in it.

Claudia
Four loosely connected novellas about teachers and pupils and fathers and daughters. I liked Markovits's writing style a lot, but I didn't enjoy the book itself because at no point of the story did I manage to emotionally connect to or even care about any of the characters. A rather frustrating, unrewarding read.
Shannon
Although I by no means read this book carefully, the writing was very confusing, choppy, and generally unclear. I found the first story to be boring and odd. While the message was good, it wasn't worth the 63 pages it took to get it to it.
Isa
Isa added it
Dec 28, 2014
Gyeyok Parah
Gyeyok Parah marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
KH
KH added it
Oct 25, 2014
Joy Rose
Joy Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Leo Litonjua
Leo Litonjua marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Nadja
Nadja added it
Jul 03, 2014
Geo
Geo marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Summer Dawn
Summer Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Karma
Karma is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2014
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Daniel Uriza cadenas
Daniel Uriza cadenas marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Imposture A Quiet Adjustment: A Novel Childish Loves: A Novel Playing Days The Syme Papers