Start by marking “Secrets of Midnight (Regency Men of Their Dreams Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Midnight (Regency Men of Their Dreams Series, #1)

Secrets of Midnight (The Man Of My Dreams Series #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Alternate cover editions can be found here & here

Two best friends make a secret pact to not wed anyone less than the men of their dreams in Miriam Minger's THE MAN OF MY DREAMS SERIES, Secrets of Midnight and My Runaway Heart!

SECRETS OF MIDNIGHT - If Lord Donovan Trent had his way, he would spend his days carelessly wooing the women of London society. Instead, he foun
Published November 6th 2010 by Walker Publishing (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Midnight

Marilyn
May 20, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This story wore me out. the couple was always fighting. ALWAYS!.
Frankiejohnny
Nov 19, 2012 Frankiejohnny rated it liked it
I agree with another reviewer on here named "Donna". The book is well written and the characters are well developed, but in this book the continual arguing was distracting, and took away from the romance. I did not feel connected to the Heroine, but the Hero, Donovan, was very likable.
Sa
Jul 10, 2016 Sa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What would one want in a romance?Hmmmmm...How about some romance?Oh, I got a romance.At 95% she calms down and tells Donovan that she loves him.

SPOILERS

After the first meeting where she rants at him(without knowing anything), I stupidity thought things would get better.That they'd fall in love and be happy and triumph over all the bad stuff.Boy, I had no idea what a crapfest this would be.

*Him soothing a baby*

Her: description

*Him looking handsome and treating workers with respect, charming her housekeeper
Beanimous
Apr 07, 2016 Beanimous rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
DNF Chapter 5

This is a well written book, there is no doubt about it. But it is not my cup of tea.

Chapter 1 is devoted to two girls gossiping and fantasizing about their future husband. For the life of me, I do not find that interesting. Thinking Chapter 2 will be better. The book is well written enough for me to hope.

Chapter 2 is about two grumpy guys who frowned, scowled and gritted their teeth about inheriting the family fortune, however in order to inherit the estate, land, house and servant
MightyA
Mar 12, 2015 MightyA rated it really liked it
I enjoyed my first historical romance by Miriam Minger very much. The writings and the well-arranged romantic twists and thrilling turns held my interest throughout the book. Considering the backgrounds of the hero and heroine, the hot banters seems appropriate, and it helps (in many ways) building up the climax of the story. I look forward to more of Miss Minger's works.
Donna Hatridge
I enjoy Miriam Minger's writing. Her books are well written and the characters are usually well developed. In this book I got tired of the arguing and fighting between Corisande and Donovan. The story line was interesting and kept you reading but the arguing got distracting and took away from the developing romance.

Anuradha
Not the author's best work. I admit writing historical romance is hard work, recreating the period, the language, etc.

But some aspects of a romance are timeless - the initial attraction, the growth of the relationship, the physical / emotional intimacies, yearning , angst need to come out well. It doesn't come out that well here.

The girl for one, being a parson's daughter is too rude and distrusting. She may have a heart of gold and be the local robin hood, but she always treats the hero with co
Heather
Aug 17, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
corie comes across as so unlikeable. the author builds her up to have this heroine complex, saving everyone all the time (essentially running the Parish, raising her sisters, caring for her eccentric dad, protesting over mining conditions, midwifing, smuggling in her spare time...seriously, what doesn't she do? it's too much), but her constant berating of Donovan got old fast. pride and prejudice is one of my favorite novels, and I like the dislike turned to love storyline, but this was over the ...more
Shelley
Jul 25, 2016 Shelley rated it did not like it
Donovan Trent has to marry to gain his inheritance. He encounters Corisande at his new home in Cornwall and decides to marry her in order to comply with this late father's will.

I will be honest...I really don't like the mouthy, nasty, mealy mouthed Corisande and Donovan is a wuss to put up with it and stay around. I stuck with it until 2/3 of the way through because I thought I could see where the author was going - a journey of learning to trust and respect another person, to put aside one's f
Kyra Dunst
Apr 30, 2014 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical romances that start with a business arrangement for marriage that ends up being more. Corie is a spitfire woman with a terrible temper, but she is not match for Lord Donovan. Donovan doesn't want a bride, but he needs his inheritance and won't get it unless he weds. When he coerced Corie to marry him within minutes of meeting her, there is little hope of the relationship starting off peacefully. Add in smugglers, death threats, and both of them fighting their attraction for eac ...more
Deedee0
Mar 21, 2016 Deedee0 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By coincidence, I started reading this shortly after finishing all of the Poldark books by Winston Graham - this book seems to be a rip-off of that epic story (set in Cornwall against the backdrop of tin mines and smuggling), but I wonder if the author really read those books, since she might have done a better job imitating them if she had. Save yourself some time and pick up the first book in the series, Ross Poldark, instead.
Milena's Book Corner
This historical romance was nothing special. Donovan, is a very likeable and believable character. Corisande on the other hand, grrr, she really annoyed me. The unprovoked rage was just over the top and many a times I just wanted to reach out and whack her one. Also, I read this story on my kindle and came across numerous spelling errors.
Jeanne Johnston
Jul 21, 2016 Jeanne Johnston rated it it was ok
Contrary people agree to sham marriage, which ends up exactly as you'd expect.

I think after Poldark, I may just have higher expectations for Cornwall. This was a bit familiar but not much new ground covered.
Tricia
Dec 02, 2014 Tricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me an ear ache. I felt like the heroine was shouting at me throughout the book, I just wanted her to shut up.

But take heart, this author has other books that is a little more peaceful, and worth reading.

Timendu
Jul 22, 2016 Timendu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"So that's why you tricked me into marrying you"

For crying out loud!!! Who tricked you? You had a bloody agreement. You self rightoues little...

I almost hate the heroine. I'll say I strongly dislike her but the writing is not bad so two stars in spite of the very annoying Corisande. E
Virginia
The heroine is just horrible. A termagant. A shrew. She is wretched. The hero is great but geez! All that apologizing to a woman who is clearly crazy. Lame lame lame
Anna Ballard
1813 - regency
Rachel F. Allen
Mar 01, 2017 Rachel F. Allen rated it liked it
Okay read

Its okay for anyone that likes to read. I was looking for more sizzle in the story. Its a love story.
Kristi
Mar 15, 2017 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time liking Corie. Donovan was adorable but I have to say he is a patient man.
Rach Lawrence
Apr 07, 2015 Rach Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Corie Easton is not interested in love after seeing her father fall apart when he lost her mother. Her only interest lies in helping those in need in her parish. Lord Donovan Trent doesn’t believe in marriage and wants no part in it. But his father’s will stipulates he must marry a good country girl in order to gain his inheritance—an inheritance he needs in order to continue the search for his daughter. Donovan makes Corie a proposition she can’t refuse: marry him for a few weeks and he’ll make ...more
Kay Bolton
May 11, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Regency Men on Their Dreams Series: Book 1

Description:

Banished to the English countryside in order to run the family mines and settle down with a sensible wife, playboy Lord Donovan Trent is amazed when Corisande Easton arrives to confront him about mistreating his workers.

Product Details:

I snapped this one up as a free Kindle download back in February 2013, at the time of writing this post it is still available for free HERE.

* * * * *

Summary:

Corrie was a fabulous and feisty virago of a Heroine,
Kath
Apr 15, 2013 Kath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again another great story from Miriam Minger,that kept me reading into the early hours. Set in Cornwall, we meet Corisande the oldest of the vicar's three daughters. A wonderfull young women she is, at 12yrs old when her mother died she stepped into the role of helping her father in the Parish. Corie would do anything to help those less fortunate than herself,she is so caring and woe betide anyone she finds mistreating others, for she has one heck of a fiery temper.

Lord Donovan arrives to t
Savannah
May 03, 2015 Savannah rated it really liked it
fun and temper filled.

I admit, I'm quite fond of the marriage of convenience trope. It is a favorite of mine. Here, we have a strong tempered heroine- and a hero who neither wilts before her nor overpowers her in that regard. He also seems to have a caring, altruistic streak that is more prominent. The plot was decent, and the romance portion slow enough a build giving the context.

I'll also note that there's a decent amount of action proper here, more than I thought when realizing which of the
Gaby
May 26, 2012 Gaby rated it really liked it
Posted at Oh My Books!

When I Secrets of Midnight free from amazon, I couldn't let the opportunity pass. I like historical romances, and I enjoyed this book.

Lord Donovan Trent is being forced to marry a country bride by his father's will, and he just need a bride who doesn't mind to be temporary.

Corie can be his bride. She takes this opportunity to protect the local overworked man by agreeing to be his wife for a few weeks, but none of them expected to fall in love.

I liked Donovan and Corie as a
Kathy Bunbury
Feb 07, 2017 Kathy Bunbury rated it really liked it
Interesting Story but a bit contentious

This couple are at times amusing and at others exasperating. A good story with an under current of danger. I liked that fact that the heroine was not your cookie cutter lady and liked her temper and chutzpah.
Jo Notary
343p If Lord Donovan Trent had his way, he would spend his days carelessly wooing the women of London society. Instead, he found himself banished to the English countryside of Cornwall, forced by the decrees of his father 19s will to run his family 19s tin mines and find a country bride. The last thing the handsome lord needed was a local lass sticking her nose into his affairs, but that seemed to be exactly what Corisande Easton had in mind.

Corie had spent her whole life struggling to help thos
Garna Parsley
Dec 15, 2016 Garna Parsley rated it really liked it
Secrets of Midnight

Overall a good read. A little frustrating with the heroines fits which bonds the story down some but definitely worth reading.
Layla
May 26, 2013 Layla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot is fast paced, with secrets, smugglers, danger and intrigue, but also laced with humour - creating a wonderful balance and rewarding read.

Corie is a fiery local girl and daughter of the vicar. She dedicates her life to helping those less fortunate than herself. She is passionate about her cause, fearless when faced with danger and hot tempered.

Donovan appears to be yet another London rake, but he is anything but that. His depth is slowly revealed as the story progresses and Corie grudgi
Gail Thompson
A regency romance with a few twists. I was pleased that the central female character was not a simpering miss who relied on everyone else to save her etc. Corrie is a confident capable young woman who more or less runs a whole community earning the respect of all those she meets. For me this is great to see in a regency romance.

There is of course the brooding hero who is battling his own problems and is very misunderstood by our heroine. There are also the requisite snobs, villains, and even smu
  • Taffeta and Hotspur
  • Lady Iona's Rebellion
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Lady Star (Sir Edward Series, #2)
  • Twice a Rake
  • Savage Deception
  • No Place for a Lady (Regency Rags to Riches, #1)
  • A Knight's Temptation (Knight's, #3)
  • Lady in Waiting (The Lady Series #1)
  • Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid (Kellington, #1)
  • The Last Rogue (Rogue Trilogy, #3)
  • Fireblossom (The Western Novels/Matthews Novel #1)
  • To Capture A Highlander's Heart: The Beginning
  • Duke of Deception
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)
  • A Lascivious Lady (Wedded Women Quartet, #3)
  • Conduct Unbecoming of a Gentleman
Miriam Minger is the bestselling author of emotion-packed action adventure historical romances that sweep you from lusty medieval times to Regency England—and with some dangerously seductive 18th century tales in between. With two dozen books published in five languages, Miriam is also the author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense, inspirational suspense, and children’s books. She is the w ...more
More about Miriam Minger...

The Man Of My Dreams Series (2 books)
  • My Runaway Heart (The Man of My Dreams Series, #2)

“surprised when she refused to accept” 0 likes