Start by marking “Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home” as Want to Read:
Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home

Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  55 reviews
How do cats know when it's time to go to the vet, even before the cat carrier comes out? How do dogs know when their owners are returning home at unexpected times? How can horses find their way back to the stable over completely unfamiliar terrain?

With a scientist's mind and an animal lover's compassion, world-renowned biologist Rupert Sheldrake presents a groundbreaking e
ebook, revised, 268 pages
Published April 26th 2011 by Three Rivers Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home

Brittany
Here's the thing about Sheldrake and his theories. When you're reading them, they make perfect sense. They're internally consistent (pretty much) and his rationale seems waterproof, while he's actually talking to you. It's only as you start thinking about what you've read that you realize something's up.

First of all, if his data is as rigorous as he claims why has none of it been published in a major peer-reviewed journal? His answer is that the "establishment" is against him. As someone famili
Bark's Book Nonsense
My old dog Sam travels to work with me every Friday. See that happy face?

Photobucket

That's Sam driving to work with me one Friday. I never say a word about it being Friday until I'm nearly walking out the door because he gets ridiculously excited and when he gets excited, he pees. Not just a dribble either. Let me tell ya, there's nothing like getting peed on when you're all dressed and running late for work. It took me a few years before I discovered that telling Sam ahead of time that "It's Friday Sam,
David
This book explores the paranormal abilities of dogs, cats, horses, birds and other animals. Sheldrake attempts to explain how these animals can sense when their owners are returning home, as well as other abilities that remain unexplained. For example, how can a dog or cat alert its owner before they have an epileptic fit? Or before there is an earthquake or other natural disaster? Some animals show signs of agitation hours before an event like this, when no known sensory abilities would detect ...more
Wanda
Either you get Rupert or you think he is a total whack job.
I think I get him. I mean like, haven't *you* wondered if your pet knows stuff like is in the title of this book? You do, right? You won't admit it because you figure people will make fun of you (and they will! gleefully!), but you do.
Well, good old Rupe doesn't give a rat's patootie what other people think. He just checks out stuff he finds interesting, and devises experiments to see what's really going on.
This books is full of totall
Tippy Jackson
Definitely enjoyed the anecdotes and I agree it's well worth beginning the documentation process of such anecdotes. I feel like he's making a huge leap to his hypothesis of morphic fields, but I love that he's trying to think of something new and breaking out of the current paradigm. His hypothesis is not impossible, I just don't think he has enough evidence to support it. But documenting all of these cases and doing more experiments like the ones with Jaytee is a good start to discovering more ...more
John
I'm reminded of this book today due to my dog doing something very smart. Nevertheless I still believe this book is complete drivel. Despite my dog being smart, she can't figure out on which days I'm going to take her for a morning walk - if my wife is home, we don't go. So she's definitely not psychic.

The problem with this book is that there's just no standards in the evidence. Sheldrake recounts many anecdotes in which "at the exact same moment, on the other side of town" something happens. Of
Julie
This book proved what pet owners have always known, that animals have an uncanny knack for communicating with their owners , hundreds of pet owners had obviously been asked to fill in a questionaire answering questions about their experience with pets , knowing when their owner had been ill, what time they were coming home even if they had a different routine every day, animals who knew when their owners had passed away, owners who had sensed their pets were ill, lost or in trouble, the stories ...more
Andd Becker
The author delves into the theme of perceptiveness, which includes telepathy, sense of direction, and premonitions.
He provides numerous examples of animals who perceive the arrival times of their humans. Dogs, cats, and other pets exhibit animal understanding and empathy.
The social bonds between dogs and humans and between cats and humans are wonderful and intense. Dogs howl when their owners die. Dogs can even respond to accidents befalling their owners, who may be many miles away.
On an ev
Nicholas
I pulled this out of the wildlife section at the Oxfam bookshop,as I guess they where confused as to which section to display it in,and after reading it I'm still not in a position to advise them on this matter.
The book is to a larger degree constructed of testimonies and data that verify the authors theories on Morphic Fields,which is only referred to in passing, and as such it presupposes the readers familiarity with his previous works on this subject.If you are coming to this book without t
Andy
My dog can tell when I'm coming home even though I arrive at varying times and on a bicycle and so it's hard to explain by timing or hearing or smelling something from far away. I would like to understand how dogs can do this. It is a legitimate scientific question.

The book has numerous interesting examples of this sort of thing, but instead of going deep and answering the question, Sheldrake goes broad and shallow with lots of anecdotes about remarkable behaviors by lots of different animals (
Victoria
The author takes a quite scientific approach to a very unscientific subject in this book, offering evidence and examples of animal telepathy and precognition. Obviously, the examples and case studies are the most interesting parts of the book and the science behind the theory is easily broken down to make this an entertaining non-fiction book. I do wonder if in the nine years between this book's publication and my discovery of it, if the outlined experiments for further study took place. And wha ...more
Andrew
I think the topic has plenty of merit and commend Sheldrake for persisting in the face of opposition. Perhaps some of his ideas or methods are dubious but it does seem like he is treated rather unfairly if he is indeed accurately portraying the interactions in the "Controversies" section, which describes some terrible behavior by a few of his critics. I didn't enjoy the book mainly because it felt long and rote. I feel the 337 pages could have been thinned to around 100. It felt very repetitive ...more
Sammalpeura
Sheldrakella on teoria morfisista kentistä, jotka yhdistävät eläimiä, ihmisiä ja paikkoja, ja se tulee kirjan lukijalle kyllä hyvin selväksi. Minua jäi kiinnostamaan se, mikä on se aisti tai kyky, jolla nämä morfiset kentät tunnistetaan ja hyödynnetään.

Kirjan parasta antia ovat esimerkkikertomukset eläinten ennustavista taidoista sekä kuvaukset tutkimuksista, joilla kirjan kirjoittaja on tapauksia tutkinut.

Tämän luettuaan alkaa katsella eläinkuntaa entistäkin uteliaammalla ja kunnioittavalla sil
Elliott Bignell
I must confess, I have a real problem with Sheldrake. I simply don't know how to assess ideas that rest on experiments that look so well-designed that I cannot criticise them yet have not been replicated. It has to be said that this book is a pleasure to read, that Sheldrake clearly has great sympathy for his subjects, and that he talks a very good game in terms of experiment. It also has to be said that I am not convinced that there are such things as morphic fields after reading this book, and ...more
Scott
I enjoy books that deal with odd and even paranormal content but I'm frequently disappointed and put off when these types of books fail to provide references to their claims. Rupert Sheldrake did not disappoint. This book was thoroughly indexed and the author always cites his sources. He also distinguishes between anecdotal stories and experiments that were conducted under controlled conditions. This book contains an overwhelming number of accounts that suggest the existence of forms of percepti ...more
Anna Engel
Fascinating read! I'm not entirely sure I agree with the author's hypothesis that morphic fields are responsible for the phenomena he describes - animals that know when their owners are intending to come home, migration, precognition. His theories are completely logical when you're reading them, but then you think about it and start to feel silly for wanting to believe in morphic fields - and that your cat is more evolved that he seems. Despite the love mauling, maybe felines know more than they ...more
Joseph Gendron
I was enlightened to learn of the powers of animals to sense things using faculties other than sight, sound and smell. The author attempts to define what the faculties are with theories that are difficut to prove but gives many different examples and encourages readers to test and note the behaviour of their pets as a way of gaining understanding. It is a fascinating subject and has made me aware of a level of communication with animals, both domestic and wild, that doesn't have to be verbal.
Az
I'm going to show my age and just say it; it felt like I was reading for class and I have no idea what the prof wants me to get out of it. The original thesis is clear, the organization is solid, but the bulk of this book is anecdotal. And I'm not sure what to draw from that. Yes, there are some studies, but there are far more 'reports' and statistical compilations of said reports.
Maybe Sheldrake is on to something, but I don't think he's there yet.
Mike
Nov 17, 2007 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves animals
This is a great book that proves that there is a lot more going on with animals awareness than science currently understands. The author provides numerous examples of animals acting as if they are pre-cognitive and supports his case very well. Dogs, cats, birds and horses included. The way he approached it leaves no doubt in my mind that he has identified something that clearly exists but that science has yet to explain.
Frankie
This is one of those books that has an interesting premise and some interesting data that might support it, but the proposed theory of what the data means is complete an utter drivel. Morphic fields? Please. Let's just admit that we don't KNOW why some animals display an uncanny knack for knowing when their owners are coming home, be impressed that there are a fair number of cases of it, and be done with it.
Bob Hill
A scientist who writes well, Sheldrake has amazing stories to tell about dogs and other animals in this book, and some of them are so well documented that it would be hard for anyone to reject them out of hand, strange though they are.

Highly recommended for dog lovers and for anyone with an interest considering the possibility that what we normally consider to be real may not be all there is.
Kirsti
A little dryer than I thought it was going to be,but I still enjoyed it. There is a lot more focus on research as opposed to animal stories, which was what I was hoping for. Still, I enjoyed reading the science behind it all, and the snippet stories were fun too.Borrowed from my local library; I did not know they had a copy until I accidentally stumbled across it. Four stars for animals!
Jetan
I absolutely adore animals most especially dogs. I picked up this book with my late dog, and best pal Ivan in mind. I lost him not too long ago and was looking for a comfort read. I enjoyed this book and have to commend Sheldrake for even pursuing such a topic. His scientific approach was charming and appreciated by me. If you're not a pet lover - you should probably not read this book.
Wanda Brenni
As with so many basically scientific books, it is very repetitive. But through the years, I am almost as repetitive as I retell the research and the findings. This isn't a dog story. This is a cosmic awareness moment as we learn that what connects us with our animals are morphic fields, that interconnectedness with other that can so easily stretch through space and distance.
Melissa (ladybug)
Jan 06, 2012 Melissa (ladybug) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in animal psychology
Recommended to Melissa (ladybug) by: no one
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was an enjoyable read. I have experienced my dog seeming to know when I was home and my grandmother once knew when my dad was in an accident, but otherwise I don't agree with the authors premise of telepathy. I don't know how you could scientifically prove something like that. One person believes it is telepathy, another that it is spiritual. Who is right?
Abby Sominski
I skimmed this book to try and find out how dogs (and other pets but I only cared about dogs) know when their owners are en route to them and unless I missed it no one knows exactly how, they just do. My dog is often looking out the front window when I get home but I assume he spends a lot of time looking out the window.
Elesa Labanz
This is another book that I probably would have enjoyed more as a long article than a book. I can see that it's very popular but I found it quite repetitive. I'm not used to reading quite so much information about the mechanics of doing studies such as were performed here so that could be part of the problem I had.
Jan
I read this book some time ago and liked the material that it covered. Animals are definitely tuned-in when it comes to the welfare of their human companions. Mr. Sheldrake is a riot to watch ... check him out on youtube or some other social media site to hear him wax-on.
Liz P-H
The first couple of chapters really drew me in but the rest of the book quickly devolved into conjecture and statements around "If we had more experiments then we would have proof of..."

It was a bit of a slog.
Patrick\
Read the anecdotal tales, then the facts by trial. Science has a long way to go to deal with these 'morphic fields' in explanation. Sheldrake is no quack. Brilliant!
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • Learning Their Language: Intuitive Communication with Animals and Nature
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • How Dogs Think: What the World Looks Like to Them and Why They Act the Way They Do
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • Kindred Spirits: How the Remarkable Bond Between Humans and Animals Can Change the Way we Live
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Your Dog Is Your Mirror: The Emotional Capacity of Our Dogs and Ourselves
  • The Loved Dog
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
Rupert Sheldrake is a biologist and author of more than 80 scientific papers and ten books. A former Research Fellow of the Royal Society, he studied natural sciences at Cambridge University, where he was a Scholar of Clare College, took a double first class honours degree and was awarded the University Botany Prize. He then studied philosophy and history of science at Harvard University, where he ...more
More about Rupert Sheldrake...
The Science Delusion: Freeing The Spirit Of Enquiry Chaos, Creativity and Cosmic Consciousness The Sense of Being Stared At: And Other Unexplained Powers of the Human Mind The Presence of the Past: Morphic Resonance and the Habits of Nature A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance