Start by marking “Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #11)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,625 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews
Komarr could be a garden - with a thousand more years work. Or an uninhabitable wasteland, if the terraforming fails. Now the solar mirror vital to the terraforming of the conquered planet has been shattered by a ship hurtling off course. The Emperor of Barrayar sends his newest Imperial Auditor, Lord Miles Vorkosigan, to find out why. The choice is not a popular one on Ko ...more
Hardcover, Science Fiction book club edition, 311 pages
Published June 1st 1998 by Baen (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Komarr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Komarr

Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

If you’ve never read any of Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga
Jim
It's amazing that such a long running series can keep such momentum, even get better. I'd rate this book about the same as the last, except we're introduced to a new character that I have great hopes for. It's a twisty mystery with a lot to say, as usual. We get to see Miles played off against other characters - especially one - that makes for a great story & really brings home a lot of the lessons he's learned. Good ones, too.
Hannah
4.5 stars.

Komarr was my second expedition into Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosiverse" (my first was Shards of Honour), and my first introduction to Miles Vorkosigan. I have to admit that I didn't like this novel as much as Shards of Honour, but it had nothing to do with Miles. Miles was as wonderful as I hoped he would be. No, it was certain elements of the plot, and certain reservations about the heroine, that knocked a half-star off my rating of this otherwise brilliant novel.

I like to call mys
Jon
Mar 01, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Series Selection March 2010
I connected deeply with the character Ekaterin. Her predicament broke my heart at times. Miles' heart melted as well.

Komarr takes place just three months after Memory. Miles acquires an Auditor Mentor in Ekaterin's uncle Vorthys. Both Imperial Auditors arrive at Komarr to investigate a tragic and seemingly inexplicable near space accident involving an ore freighter and the Komarran solar mirror array. Each Auditor brought a different perspective and expertise to the investigation. Vorthys' engi
Stephen
4.5 Stars. Another great installment of one of the best SF series of the past 15 years. Not quite as good as some of the earlier installments, but the quality level is still very high. Recommended!!!
Kathleen
Jun 19, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this romantic suspense set on planet Komarr, across the galaxy.

Eketarin Vorsoisson, Vor to the core, kicks asparagus, and not only that, she's tall, brunette, and coolly reserved, until her son is threatened. Miles is crazy about this fascinating widow, but she's done with men, after ten years with Tien the Twit.
"My goodness. You've met with an accident."

"It wasn't us. It was her. The bitch from hell. Or Barrayar, which is almost the same..."

Miles's eyes widened, and his lips part
Katherine
Apr 21, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another Vorkosigan Saga novel, I just adore this series. This one is Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold, it's about #11 or #12 in the series depending on which reading order you are following. So it's definitely not the best place to start for new readers! This one follows on from the previous book Memory, in which Miles started his new career as an Imperial Auditor, which is sort of a special investigator for the emperor. This book sees him on his first investigation as an official auditor. He's on ...more
Banner
Mar 23, 2014 Banner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Another great addition. Thank you Fellow Goodreaders for turning me onto this series.

What I enjoy about this series so far.

Miles Vorkosigan
He is foremost his parents son and he is also his own man. But you see that is how they raised him. Through this character we learn a lot about the importance of valuing our fellow human. Not just that it is important but that it enhance all life, not just the ones we directly value.

The plots. The stories weave a mystery with action and human drama leaving
John Carter McKnight
I found Komarr a difficult and unsatisfying read when it came out 15 years ago, but coming back to it much older, I not only thoroughly enjoyed it, but found it one of the best SF novels of STS/technology and society/hard SF engineering mystery out there.

The sections of Tien's emotional abuse of his wife Ekaterin are every bit as painful as ever, and definitely should have a trigger warning. But the mystery plot is just brilliant, as the failure of a geoengineering megastructure leads down and
André
Apr 01, 2015 André rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
"MINIONS. MINIONS ARE MY FAVOURITE THING." -Miles, all the time, forever.

"So, uh, guess I'll see you around maybe. Or not. Hey, here's a binder I made for you with every one of my six house addresses and fifteen phone numbers as well as the addresses and numbers of every person I know in case all my numbers aren't working and you need to talk to me oh, and if none of those work either here's the address for the Emperor of Barrayar because he should probably know where I am sooo...yeah, call me.
R.J.
May 06, 2015 R.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ekaterin, Ekaterin, Ekaterin. Such a great, if painful, story, and a wonderful introduction to one of the best characters in the series (and in a series loaded with fantastic characters, that says a lot).
Becky
Dec 13, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Is Komarr nice? It doesn't sound nice. How can a book about the son of the Butcher of Komarr being on Komarr be nice?" - literally me to my roommates before starting this book. Read that in a voice full of hurting doubt and the hopeless desire for something, not less painful, but perhaps more accessible. One grows tired of leaning back and watching Miles pull miracles out of his ass, you know. As enjoyable as that is.

This is the fastest I've ever gone through a Bujold book. I was LOATH to turn
Misha
Bujold is such a good storyteller. For one, she writes fully-dimensional, flawed and memorable characters. Ekaterin's loveless marriage is so well described; this author knows how to capture a woman's interior world so well. Miles is such a winning character in so many ways. Bujold also knows how to write dialogue that sounds real, scientifically authentic but that also forwards the action and the plot. Totally in love with her.
Maggie K
Feb 09, 2014 Maggie K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay for being an Auditor! This ended up being a fun little investigation, as Miles travels to Komarr, site of the Battle that earned his father the nickname, 'Butcher of Komarr'. He knows full well that he is going to have to prepare to react to all srts of responses to his presence, but he doesn't expect (though perhaps he should) to fall in love!

Miles appears here without any of his sidekicks, as he travels with one of his fellow auditors. However, Bujold adds in the voice of his Vor hostess o
Linda
Oct 31, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Note: This is an edit of review I did in February - typos have been corrected and a couple of sentences hid behind spoiler tags.

This is the new Miles - he has accepted his position as Lord Vorkosigan. This is his first case in his new role as Gregor's auditor, and he is working out how to use his new omniscient power. For the most part, he is controlled and measured as he gets the feel of this new job. The bigger event for Miles is falling in love -- not just lusting but wanting the domestic lif
Carrie
SOA Listening Challenge: Spread Your Listening-- paranormal/fantasy/SF 4/4
SFR Reading Challenge 2012 5/15

Grade A+

A 5 star review with no hesitation or caveats. Even though I've only listened to Shards of Honour and am just now reading the first actual Miles book, The Warrior's Apprentice, I never felt lost during this story. (I do think I missed a few inside jokes, though.) I plan to go back and read the entire series now.

The writing, the story, the humor, the characters--all pitch perfect. And
Christy
Listened to this as an audiobook

It took me quite awhile to get into this book, which I've found is common for me when listening to books that include a huge amount of world building. I suppose my attention is always somewhat fragmented when I'm listening to a book and that works better for books set in a familiar world.

But once I got into it, I really enjoyed Komarr. Miles is certainly not your typical romantic hero but he was terrific nonetheless. I felt great empathy for Ekaterin and look for
Tani
Nov 28, 2007 Tani rated it it was amazing
I have a confession to make. I am not capable of objectivity when it comes to these books, so please don't expect it. You might get me to admit that this wasn't the greatest of the Vorkosigan books, but I still enjoyed it so much that I can't imagine giving it anything other than 5 stars. I love the stories that Lois McMaster Bujold writes and the characters that she creates. Miles, in particular, is a character I could read about doing something completely boring and still be perfectly happy. Y ...more
Shea Levy
Nov 16, 2014 Shea Levy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miles the ImpSec agent is a cupcake: delicious and fun to eat but you get sick if you eat too many and not enough to satisfy you on its own. Miles the Imperial Auditor is a full meal, starting with a bowl of lobster bisque, moving on to a perfectly cooked filet mignon, and finishing off with some berries and cream: Satisfying, good for you, but still downright delicious and able to please a sweet tooth. Memory was about Miles becoming Miles, but Komarr is our first full opportunity to see him be ...more
Tim Hicks
Sep 29, 2015 Tim Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a re-read after many years (it's a 1998 book). It's as good as ever, and I had forgotten most of the details so it was like having a new book.

This is one of the books that sets the standard I judge other books by. It has a great setting in a complex and interesting universe, believable characters, a plausible plot, and people doing things that sensible people would do. Ekaterin's story is carefully told, and we see Miles growing into his role rather than being Peerless Hero from the st
Mayank Agarwal
Jul 01, 2015 Mayank Agarwal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 16th book in the series, it’s not an Admiral Naismith (no space adventure), the focus is on Miles love-life with the detective work of Imperial Auditor providing the background. He stumbles around like a love struck teenager, while the changes in settings were a nice, the unsure Miles was sometimes difficult to watch, other times it was pure joy to see him in his new avatar.

This series is excellent in keeping the plots and characters fresh, which is a difficult task in such long series.
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
I feel like a bit of a broken record, but best include the warning anyway: spoilers below for earlier books in the series! So if you haven't read those, just go and do so. Please, you won't regret it!

In Komarr, we see Miles in his new life. His supposedly temporary appointment as Imperial Auditor was made a permanent one at the end of Memory, and he's been assigned his first proper case. A ship has crashed into the Soletta Array, a system of solar mirrors that is crucial for the planet of Komarr
Zach
May 08, 2011 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more interesting aspects of the Vorkosigan books is the subtle and not-so-subtle reminders that democracy turns you into a big pussy. The heroes of the saga, the Barrayarans, are a militaristic culture with hereditary government and no written law to speak of. The democratic planets, in this case the conquered Komarrans (but most often the famously liberal Beta Colony) have a lot to offer in terms of personal liberty and diversity, but when the shit hits the fan they rely entirely on ...more
Lightreads
Wow, this book is a lot less complicated than I remember from the first and only time I read it five years ago. (Though actually, it's equally fair that I'm a much more complicated reader, so).

It's a good book – unfolding mystery, wit, emotional tension, new landscapes for the universe. It's just the thematic punches were far more straight-on than I remember – keep an eye out for things that fall in this book and things that are caught, add a twist of identity games, and you've pretty much got
Jane Stewart
I wasn’t excited, but it was ok. It kept my interest.

STORY BRIEF:
Inhabitants of Komarr live in domes and wear oxygen masks when outside. The planet is in process of being transformed into a more habitable place with the use of a solar mirror. The mirror is shattered by a starship. Miles is sent by the emperor of Barrayar to investigate. Miles and his co-investigator stay with Ekaterin and her husband Tien during the investigation.

Ekaterin is unhappy in her marriage. Because of her husband’s dema
Kathi
Mar 21, 2010 Kathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olga Godim
Dec 16, 2012 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books. Not merely among Bujold’s novels or SciFi novels but in general: one of those books I reread whenever I feel blue and need a dose of cheers. You know, one of those where you remember all the plot twists, can recite some words and passages by heart, but keep reading all the same for the sheer pleasure of it. I’m aware that most people don’t consider this novel the best in the series, but for me, it’s the best. And its impact doesn’t diminish with rereading. This ...more
Tina
Taken as a whole, the Miles Vorkosigan series is simply outstanding. The series is built around the character of Miles. And through them we learn about his world, the forces that created him, how he thinks and acts and the people who love, hate, respect and revere him.

Taken as parts of the a whole, the books each stand on their own merits and, although are ostensibly classified as Science Fiction, I find that they could be cross-classified with other genres.

The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor
SA
Dec 19, 2011 SA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
"Miles Learns There is More to Life Than Work."

Wow, okay, just wow. I--you know how it is when you get too close to a character, and then you kind of watch everyone that comes into his life with a hairy eye because you are invested, okay, you have concerns about the people he gets close too.

All that shit disappeared the moment I met Ekaterin. Oh my god, she's amazing. *I* want to marry her. Just--what a center. What strength and cleverness. It was almost physically painful to watch Miles hold
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • The Vorkosigan Companion
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)

“Some people grow into their dreams, instead of out of them.” 88 likes
“All the geniuses I ever met were so just part of the time. To qualify, you only have to be great once, you know. Once when it matters.” 53 likes