Start by marking “The Cleaner Plate Club: More Than 100 Recipes for Real Food Your Kids Will Love” as Want to Read:
The Cleaner Plate Club: More Than 100 Recipes for Real Food Your Kids Will Love

The Cleaner Plate Club: More Than 100 Recipes for Real Food Your Kids Will Love

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Childhood obesity. Diabetes. Developmental delays and disorders. Today's parents know that what their kids eat is key to their health. Their kids are bombarded with a relentless parade of ads for junk food, fast food, and empty calorie "treats." How can parents get their kids to eat meals that don't come out of a box? The Cleaner Plate Club comes to the rescue. Mommy-blogg...more
Published January 19th 2011 by Storey Publishing (first published January 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cleaner Plate Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cleaner Plate Club

♪Bεε
This was a library read. I guess I was looking for more snack and lunch ideas than anything else which were helpful.

This book is ideal for someone starting square one and needing to know how to start implementing a more balanced, kid-friendly plate.

I feel the majority of picky eaters are made when a) kids decide to be contrary just to give parents the foodie finger of control, or b) parents get tired with ideas for feeding their kids. Regardless, these kids end up with a palate that only toler...more
EdibleNotesReviews
Mar 01, 2011 EdibleNotesReviews rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooking, families
Occasionally, a ‘cookbook’ comes along that is so much more than a compilation of recipes with a bit of storytelling (or worse, a lot of storytelling and few recipes) and snazzy food photos. When they do, and especially when the focus of the book is about cooking for families with children, they deserve all the praises we can bring them.

The Cleaner Plate Club by Beth Bader and Ali Benjamin is a fantastic example of how a cookbook can be so much more than recipes or preachy advice about cooking a...more
Jessica
How do you feed your kids healthy, whole foods in a junk food culture? This book offers practical suggestions and reassures parents who are trying to avoid the tide of junk food that the science is on their side. I read quite a bit about this issue but I still found some useful tips and facts; the recipes didn't excite me but I already have more recipes than I need for this life and the next.

The authors are moms and food bloggers from two different backgrounds. One grew up on a farm and has devo...more
Courtney
this book has been so great that i ended up buying it (i have it from the library right now). it is full of exciting recipes and full of great information and helping your child have a healthy relationship with food. i can't wait to try more recipes from it!

it has also helped with using our CSA foods better. this is our first year being part of a CSA (community supported agriculture), and we get LOTS of veggies that i am almost not sure what to do with, but this book explains what the veggies ar...more
Amy
I am already giving this 5 stars because I plan to buy it! If you are interested in healthier eating for you and your kids, this book looks great! Pictures of veggies, suggestions on buying and storing and healthy recipes that I actually am interested in cooking and eating...sometimes the healthy recipes look not very appealing to me...this is great resource, one I have been looking for!
Susan
Only one thing wrong with this fabulous book - the title - because it implies it is a book about feeding children only and it is actually one of the best books on basic easy cooking, nutrition, etc. because of the explanation of a vast array of veggies and grains, etc. - how to buy them, cook them, what they look like etc.
Buying this for the house.
Julie
The authors make a clear, sensible case for feeding your children home-cooked food with fresh or frozen vegetables and whole grains. The recipes seem easy enough to follow (I tried two), and there are plenty of informative bits that make this worth owning for when I need a refresher/inspiration.
Khristiey
great for all of us in charge of feeding our families! especially those with picky husbands ..... ah-hem.....i mean young children. great pointers on introducing new foods to their palates, as well as fun recipes that don't require martha stewart-like skill sets.
Kate
This is a fantastic book! It is very, very informative and has lots of great, easy recipes.
Tracy Clausen
Have only tried one recipe - Chicken Chili - but the kids actually loved it. It was delicious - mild spices, but very flavorful,and we served it in little mini bread bowls (rolls that were hollowed out.) It was a big hit!

The recipes in this book aren't necessarily quick to make, but seem to be simpler versions of "grown up" meals - curries, stews, etc. - for younger palates. Despite my best efforts, I have two picky eaters. They both like fruits and veggies, but never the same ones, one likes me...more
Adrienne
Fabulous book! It's almost 300 pages, but if you're expecting the majority of those pages to be filled with recipes, you might be disappointed. But it more than makes up for this lack with the tons of great tips and information about healthy eating. Included are shoppping tips, in-depth descriptions of vegetables and pantry items (such as grains and beans), information on the food industry, ideas for quick breaskfasts and lunchboxes, and ways to teach kids about nutrition. It's like the Bible fo...more
Meagan Melgares
I had more hope for this book than it delivered. I think I was hoping for information that I didn't really know, and I didn't really learn much. Helpful if you didn't know anything about local eating though. Also, I was hoping for more tips if locavorism isn't really an option for you. Studies haven't really convinced me that organic, local produce is substantially better than conventional. It "tastes better"? Penn & Teller put the kibosh on that one. Anyways, there are tons of recipes in he...more
Experience Life
“Consider this book the directions that don’t come with real food,” write working moms Beth Bader and Ali Benjamin in their blog-inspired book, The Cleaner Plate Club (Storey Publishing, 2011). Ditching food-from-a-box shortcuts, Bader and Benjamin promise that kids will eat real food and that it really can be made on the fly — they have the kid-tested recipes to prove it. And if your offspring don’t devour the zucchini-bacon fritters and pumpkin white-cheddar soup, you most certainly will.
Kristina
I agree with everything these two women had to say about the state of our nation's food and the health of our children. But I found the recipes to be rather unusual. And not kid friendly for the child in my household (or husband for that matter). For example Braised Red Cabbage with Blueberries, Raisins and Goat Cheese; Carrot-Quinoa "Biryani"; Lima Bean Hummus. We did find one recipe that we cannot wait to try since B likes pumpkin and gingerbread- Pumpkin Molasses Cookies.
Janelle Hennessey
I read this book hoping to get ideas on to cook healthier in a way a kid would eat. This book had information on how to get kids to eat more, such as having them help with the cooking or giving veggies fun names like xray vision carrots. But the actual recipes were disappointing because they were not simple enough for everyday cooking and certainly didn't seem more kid friendly than other recipes.
Rebecca Mckenzie
I highly recommend and value this book which I borrowed from the library. My advice is to bite the bullet and purchase this one. Not only is it resourceful for making good food choices, but also includes several noteworthy recipes and the nudge to get you to try new, less popular vegetables. This book for perfect timing for me as I've been working on making some healthier lifestyle changes! Loved it!
Anne Brockhoff
I use this book so frequently that I don't bother putting it on the shelf; it lives on my counter. It's packed with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas that will appeal to both kids and adults. And it's a good read to boot. Buy or borrow? Definite buy.
Elizabeth
I love this cookbook! So many great ideas for snacks and meals for the whole family, along with advice for healthy eating and for drawing children into the preparation of meals. This is one I go back to again and again.
Kristen-Marie Freeman
So far I'm really into this book. We'll see if the 5 stars hold up once I actually try some of the recipes... ;)

Finished. Yes, really instructive and good recipes.
Heather
I got this from the library, but I think this is one I need to buy. Very clear, practical food descriptions and excellent recipes!
Kathy
Although I do not have time to "shop the farmers markets", I did find some useful tips and recipes in here.
Ofe
HAD TO BUY THIS ONE! GREAT tips and GREAT recipes. So easy to follow through the book. :)
Miriam Garcia
Miriam Garcia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Gaby
Gaby added it
Jun 09, 2014
Kerri Nelson-wolenetz
Kerri Nelson-wolenetz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014