Start by marking “When Passion Rules” as Want to Read:
When Passion Rules

When Passion Rules

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,406 ratings  ·  238 reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey weaves a marvelous adventure set in the tumultuous world of continental royalty, where a stolen princess discovers a kingdom she was meant to inherit—and a passion made to rule her heart.

Forced to flee Napoleon’s rampaging army on the continent, orphaned Alana Farmer and her eccentric guardian make a new home for themsel
Published June 2011 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about When Passion Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Passion Rules

Guilty Pleasures
Angeline's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars and a Recommended Read

I read some of the other reviews for When Passion Rules by Johanna Lindsey before I knew I was reviewing it myself. They were all over the place. What I found interesting is that those that did not rate the book very high wrote very unkind reviews. It’s those kinds of reviews that are not helpful to readers. They are not helpful to authors either. Honest, constructive opinions win out over malicious, unhelpful negativity
Melanie
I reviewed this novel for my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

I used to await with abated breath for one of Johanna's books. It was always a pleasure to open them, be it hardcover or paperback. There was never a doubt in my mind that every story she puts out would be devoured, savored and long remembered. With years and the avalanche of crop of young authors of romance putting their stamp and feet forth, Johanna's stories kept coming, but to me they were now a bit `behind' the times. Does
Caz
Okay. So I admit that this isn’t a book that would normally have been near the top of my TBR pile. I haven’t read it before, haven’t read any reviews and only had the synopsis to go on; and decided that while it sounded okay, I wasn’t going to bust a gut when I’ve got so many other things I want to read.

BUT. Then I discovered that Rosalyn Landor had narrated the audiobook, and as I’ve been glomming her stuff big time lately, I changed my mind.

This is one of those times when I think the performan
Lynn
This was an interesting book because it is set in a completely fictional country of Lubinia -- some cross between Latvia and Lithuanian ... maybe with snow and mountains and lakes with thin ice cover.

Alana is a young woman raised in "civilized" London by Poppie, a man she calls uncle. When she is 18 years of age her uncle reveals that despite the fact that he has started orphanages and helped dishonored genteel ladies -- he hasn't always been such an impeccable gentleman. There in lies the start
Carrie Huot
The plot of this book was good. The plot, although not unique, was good enough for me to not give this book a completely terrible review. The romance, on the other hand, can be summed up with one word- atrocious. I did not like the "hero" of this novel at all. He alternates between humiliating the main character -- whose name I have already forgotten -- and being irritating and controlling. Even if a man was really attractive, I don't know how those type of actions could cause anyone to fall in ...more
Elle

This one gets three stars because it's a decent story. Lots of intrigue, adventure, a whodunit and a HEA that, while you expect it, doesn't really seem that easy to reach at times. But the story also loses a couple stars because there were things I tripped over. Start with the fact that while this is a "historical" romance, the country the heroine comes from is fictitious. I'm enough of a history wonk that I'm disappointed when the story isn't based on actual history. Then there's the fact that
Wendy
Pretty good. I think I would have finished this read sooner, if I hadn't spent so much time at "ogling" the beaufiful man on the cover!
Debbie
I'm a little surprised at all the negative things I heard about this book. While not up to par with her Mallory books I still enjoyed it a lot. I loved Poppie, the man who raises Alana, and I wish we could have seen more of his character and there was also an orphan, Henry, that I also wish we could have seen more of because he was the cutest thing. Alana gave me mixed feelings because she had this awesome, unconventional education from Poppie that included weapons training which I loved but I w ...more
Lover of Romance
After reading Let Love Find You, I was pretty disappointed. Johanna Lindsey is one of the first authors I read from and loved when I first starting reading romance...especially historical romance. I have always enjoyed the majority of her books, especially her earlier ones and the Malory series. So I was a bit anxious when I got When Passion Rules from the library. Even though I just LOVED the cover I knew I might not love the story. It started out a bit slower than I expected, but once it picke ...more
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Reallyy....??? Any protest if I gave this book 5 stars..?? hahahha...

Buku ini bikin gw melek sampe jm 4 pagii... seseru ituh??? iyaaaaak.... itulah... Gw tersepona sama sosok Si Captain Christopher inih... hoooaaaahhh....

Christopher..

Christo..

Christ...

whatever how he called... He is... Awesome!!! hahhahha....

*melele* ...

*ngebayangin Paul Marron di Cover... cucok bener jadi Christo...*

*meleleh lagi*

*Mimisan*

*Pingsan*

.................................. .............................

*yang bersan
Pamela(AllHoney)
Not her best but not her worst either. I liked it but wasn't overly wowed over it. I liked the characters. Though for a few pages I had my doubts about the hero. There were some interesting twists that kept the story moving at a good pace.
Nisha
I'm really going to read this aren't I? *facepalm* Bring it on, JL.
Viana Lazo
I love it! This book really made me love the characters!! I thought since this was a book that the settings had taken place at the 18th or 19th century it would be once again, a book that has beautiful ladies with the dilemma of finding a husband. Thank God Johanna Lindsey had once again led me to believe that she is far by one of my favorite authors!

I had read her book which is The Loving Scoundrel and I was more than happy to read about a girl that was clever and stunning. In this book the mai
Gavin
Just like Once a Princess this book is set in a fictional European country where the princess and heir of that country was raised elsewhere with no idea of her true identity.

I'm sure the similar plots will annoy some people. Luckily I'm not one of those people and since Once a Princess is my favorite Lindsey book, I was looking forward to more of the same here. I was not disappointed.

The book was a fun read and both the main characters were likable enough. Christoph was one of the tamer Lindse
Anita
GENRE: Adult-Romance
FORM: AudioBook
NARRATOR: Rosalyn Landor

SYNOPSIS Alana thought that the most important decisions in her life was who to marry and when, and whether she wanted to continue to teach at the orphanage her Uncle “Poppie” own and ran. Her life is instantly turned upside down when Poppie reveals that he was once an assassin who was given the assignment to kill the heir to the throne of Lubinia, which was her. Now she has to deal with the fact that she is not an ordinary girl, but a p
Marie
Bintang 3.

Nama aslinya Leonard Kastner, di dunia gelap lebih dikenal sebagai Rastibon. Karena suatu keadaan yg tak menguntungkan, harus kehilangan istri dan anaknya dalam waktu yg bersamaan. Untuk melampiaskan kemarahannya ia membunuh semua orang yg berhubungan dengan kecelakaan yg menyebabkan kematian keluarganya itu. Masih dalam kemarahan yg tak terbendung jadilah ia seorang pembunuh bayaran yg paling terkenal tak pernah gagal dan ditakuti di negaranya Lubinia. Banyak order yg telah diterimany
Beatrizz1983
Johanna, ¿Dónde estás Johanna? Por qué ya no te encuentro entre las páginas de tus libros. Por qué, antes era capaz de encontrar tu pluma inconfundible, y ahora pienso que cualquier autora podría estar firmando novelas en tu nombre.
No es sólo que la novela me haya decepcionado, que sencillamente pueda ser calificada como una novelilla de segunda de cualquier autora de romántica que conozca unos cuantos clichés. Es que me ha aburrido, y defraudado.
Siempre empiezo las novelas de Johanna Lindsey e
Lena Papanikolaou
Πολύς ντόρος για μια απλά καλή ιστορία...Υπαρχουν καλυτερες στα κλασσικά αρλεκιν και βγαινουν στο 1/4 της τιμης.
Lupdilup Duffy
3.1/2
I had pretty low expectations, but actually this was pretty good, I never read/listened to Johanna Lindsey before, so I imagine that if this one it's not one her best,(according to most reader's opinion) she must have some excellent books I need to check out.
The narrator Rosalyn Landor does a great job with this book, and I know her male voices are not the best, but she makes up for it with her realistic way of bringing this characters and world to life.
This might be another case where the
Lisa Hall
I used to read every Johanna Lindsey that came out. I quit doing that almost *gasp* twenty years ago. I went to the trouble of thinking about that because I used to fall into her books with bated breath and this one didn't hit me that way. My tastes have changed.

Alana is a London debutante in waiting. Raised by her uncle, she teaches at a local orphanage knowing she'll have to quit once she's wed, which she's thinking might be to this dashing young count that has gone out of his way for several
Grettel Grace
GE-NIAL. Eso es este libro. Un argumento muy solido, una historia bien elaborada, personajes bastante concretos. Tiene una narración en tercera persona bastante simple. Aunque hay que admitir que esperaba un poco mas de erotismo, y hubo un poco, sin embargo la historia gira en torno a descubrir todos los secretos y situaciones que están pasando en el palacio y el amor que va creciendo entre los protagonistas a medida que se van descubriendo secretos y de alguna manera se crea un vinculo entre el ...more
Rachel
I normally enjoy Lindsey's books as fun, satirical romances. This seemed like it was a throwback to the '80s, complete with "man showing mastery over woman 101" and "even though woman has been trained to defend herself, the man HAS to rescue her 101" throughout the book. Even the plot twist was about as subtle as a hammer to the face. I'm really disappointed as this author usually succeeds in entertaining me. GO BACK TO WRITING THE MALLORYS!
Lynsey A
This was a pretty decent book although not to the old JL standard. I love her oldies. I read this in one day. After a slow start it kept me engaged. At times the writing felt rushed and awkward, not what we are used to from JL. The villain of the piece felt like a cop-out to me.

The live story felt rushed and bot all that romantic. It was a bit of a bummer.

However, it had a cute story and I liked how it all turned out in the end.
AJ
Plotline had potential, but ended up being a confusing, jumbled mess. Dialogue was horrible...way too modern, with too much modern vernacular. Romance seemed rushed and forced, and just not believable. I couldn't have cared less whether the two main characters had a HEA. So much about this book I just didn't like at all. So much stupidity all around that I ended up skimming most of it, then just giving up before I was finished.
Susan (susayq ~)
This was my first JL book and I have to admit, it had me worried at first. I've heard wonderful things about her, but it started off really slow for me. But once it started moving, I was hooked :) There was a big twist in the story that totally threw me, then it twisted back to the original thought about what was right. I wasn't expecting that. I'm looking forward to the next one I have to read by her.
Brad
"When Passion Rules" Johanna Lindsey..This book was really amazing!! I enjoyed entire book form beginning to the very end. To me the "When Passion Rules" was mixture between Suspense, Romance, and Mystery. Which was really good . The book had me on the edge of my seat literally!! while it was pouring down raining while I was reading. I would recommend everyone to read this book!!
Rachel
I was so excited to see a new book from Lindsey! I have read them all, and found this one to be SO difficult to put down. Yes, it is somewhat cheesy and predictable, but I really enjoy the love and how it grows in the characters. I thought it was refreshing that the book wasn't completely consumed with sex scenes, but focused more on the story. Keep 'em coming Johanna!
Jessica
I give this book a 4.5 star. I read the book in a few hours and really enjoyed it. Some of the good points about this book is that I love how much the characters spent time together. I think this is the only book I have read where it was just the two main characters' interaction. Of course there were other characters but Johanna Lindsey did a great job making their scenes stick out. Her other characters were also very likable. I don't want to give it away too much but I loved most of the charact ...more
Ninoska
I enjoy this book more than Johanna's last book. I felt that there could be more to the book and more depth to the character. I felt there should have been more chemistry but alot better than the las Malory book. Johanna Lindsey is still one of my favorite authors but this book need more humph. But overall a good read.
Shannon
Solid JL. It's clear there will be another book from the same family. Over the last few books it has been clear JL is pulling back on the passion, but without any substantial character building, the books do get formulaic.... She needs to spice it up a little. Bring the heat back...
  • Scandal in Scotland (Hurst Amulet, #2)
  • In Pursuit of Miss Eliza Cynster (The Cynster Sisters Trilogy #2)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • My Ruthless Prince (Inferno Club, #4)
  • If You Give A Girl A Viscount (Impossible Bachelors, #4)
  • The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To Series #2)
  • Every Scandalous Secret (Scandalous Lady, #3)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • The Seduction of His Wife (Hallaway Sisters, #1)
  • The Husband Hunt (Madison Sisters, #3)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Rakes (Scandalous Brides, #1)
  • Love, Come to Me
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Prisoner of My Desire Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)