Start by marking “Shoulder Bags and Shootings” as Want to Read:
Shoulder Bags and Shootings

Shoulder Bags and Shootings (Haley Randolph #3)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Life is almost perfect for fashionista and amateur sleuth Haley Randolph. She just vacationed in Europe with her boyfriend Ty Cameron, owner of Holt's Department Store. And now Ty's grandmother is letting Haley drive her Mercedes. If only Haley could get her hands on the new Sinful handbag. It's totally out of stock, and Haley would rather die than buy a knockoff. But when ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shoulder Bags and Shootings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoulder Bags and Shootings

Karen
I like my protagonists to be flawed. I also need them to be likable. Dorothy Howell got it half right.

The main character, Haley, is so horribly shallow, mean and, quite frankly, stupid, I didn't really care if she were arrested. Or shot. Or both.
Paula Ratcliffe

Title: Shoulder Bags and Shootings
Author: Dorothy Howell
Pages: 265

This book follows a young college student named Haley who has just come back from a mini-vacation with her new boyfriend Ty. When murder follows her in the trunk of her boyfriend's grandmother's car. The main suspect is Haley. During all of this Haley is scouring Los Angeles for a Sinful handbag.

While this is a good light read, not what one would consider a heavy mystery at all. Haley spends most of the time obsessing over a hand
From My Blog...[return][return]Shoulder Bags and Shootings is the third novel in Dorothy Howell’s Haley Randolf Mystery series. I have not read the previous two novels, and did not have trouble following this fashionista style cozy mystery. It all begins innocently enough with Haley’s obsession of acquiring the newest, trendiest handbag, which leads her to loan Ada’s Mercedes in which she discovers the body of Tiffany Markam, a rival of Haley’s. Shoulder Bags and Shootings is not the typical coz ...more
From My Blog...

Shoulder Bags and Shootings is the third novel in Dorothy Howell’s Haley Randolf Mystery series. I have not read the previous two novels, and did not have trouble following this fashionista style cozy mystery. It all begins innocently enough with Haley’s obsession of acquiring the newest, trendiest handbag, which leads her to loan Ada’s Mercedes in which she discovers the body of Tiffany Markam, a rival of Haley’s. Shoulder Bags and Shootings is not the typical cozy mystery, rathe
Cheryl
Haley Randolph has just returned form a fabulous trip to Europe with her boyfriend, Ty’s grandma. Haley picked up a bunch of new, fashionable items. The only thing missing is…the Sinful bag. It is the seasons must have item. Haley needs to get her hands on one. Ty’s grandma has Haley drop her off and drive herself home in her car. She tells Haley, she can return in the next day.

Haley’s day quickly goes down hill. First she finds the body of her arch rival, Tiffany Markham in her boyfriend’s gra
Nancy
Haley is a shallow, bubble-headed spoiled girl who believes the world revolves around her. Although irritating, this was endearing and provided entertainment. The character shows no personal growth but, again, that wasn't so terrible. In fact, I found her tactics for avoiding the customer while on the clock ingenious.

Besides Haley, however, there are a myriad of characters that I simply couldn't keep straight and lacked any depth at all. Even compared to Haley. In fact, too many characters that
Staci
Genre: Mystery

About: Hailey is a young woman who is obsessed with owning the newest designer hand bags. Along the way of acquiring these handbags she finds herself implicated in a murder. While tracking down the must-have bag, she inadvertently solves the crime.

Descriptive Words: fashion obsessed, ditzy,

Thoughts: I had no expectations when I accepted a review copy of this book. I thought the story sounded cute and I do like a good mystery. Well, I have to say that this one just did not make the
Yvonne
Haley Randolph enjoys everything life has to offer. She just spent the last couple of weeks in Europe with her handsome boyfriend, Ty, who happens to be the owner of the department store where she works as a salesperson. She then gets a chance to drive his grandmother’s expensive Mercedes home from the airport and now she’s on her way to buy the latest designer pocketbook – a Sinful pocketbook. She absolutely must have one. Things don’t get better than this…until she looks in the trunk of the ca ...more
Birgit
Being book three in a series Dorothy Howell stays true to her style and gives the reader yet another crime that the leading lady aka purse whore Haley feels the need to solve. This time though she luckily doesn't end up as the main suspect again, but that doesn't keep her from poking her nose in the matter after finding a dead body in the trunk of a car.
Granted, it might be hard to fathom how Haley can be so easily distracted by the newest handbag while at the same time trying to find a killer,
Bridget
Disappointing... This is one shallow main character. I had to push myself to continue (mysteries will do that to you). I am all for a less intense style of murder mystery, but let's have a character that the reader doesn't want to shake some sense into. I kept thinking that it was a blessing she wasn't one of my children! The vague references to previous "escapades" was endless and redundant... I'm not to difficult to please, really, so read at your own risk!
Cecilia
This was a fun, fluff-type read. To be honest the main character drove me nuts sometimes with no signs ever of any sort of personal growth or self-realization. She is shallow, selfish and fairly empty-headed. Although I found Haley obnoxious about 60% of the time, her antics andself-absorbedness (I know, that's not a word) were often quite humorous and I think her clueless personality is part of what makes the book a successful read.
I had a fun time reading this book and I would definitely go b
Ellen
Heroine was shallow and lazy. Seemed to have a budget for clothes that made no sense. Did not enjoy and will not try rest of series.
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I tried. I just can't do it. The premise sounded like fun, entertaining chick lit. Unfortunately, the book is just like the main character, shallow and trivial. Perhaps I'm just too old to enjoy a story about a flighty, superficial young woman whose sole purpose in life seems to be fashion and avoiding true responsibility. Think the girl from Confessions of a Shopaholic. I didn't read the book, but sat through the film trying not to fall asleep while everyone else around me laughed themselves si ...more
Susan
The three star rating on this is a little generous--the real mystery, for me, at least, is how anyone can be as preoccupied with shopping and handbags as Haley Randolph. Haley is not interested in her retail job or her college classes; now that she's officially dating handsome Ty, she doesn't seem too interested in him, certainly not while he's in Europe closing a big business deal. When she finds a body in Ty's grandmother's car (which she wasn't supposed to be driving), she's interested in tha ...more
thegirlinpink
Purse lover and amateur sleuth Haley Randolph once again is in pursuit for this seasons it handbag. However, after she discovered the corpse of yet another person in the Holt's department store, she is not only chasing ofter a killer, but someone is also chasing her!

I always enjoy Howell's novels and think they are nice little late night reads, or beach/pool side entertainment. While Haley isn't perfect and at times selfish and some what self centered, she is also kind, fun and honest. I look fo
Shay
I don't know why I like this series as the main character is a shopaholic and I've spent $0 on clothes, shoes, and accessories this year. I guess I relate to her because I know what it feels to have that struggle, as an underachiever, when peers start passing you by. It takes a while to make that adjustment to where you understand that life is about happiness not money and feel content with your choices and happy for friends and family who have chosen a different, and more lucrative path.
My Book Views
Shoulder Bags and Shootings is a cute, quick read. Although dealing with murder, Haley remains quite comedic from her first nearly launching herself out of her airplane seat at glimpsing the Sinful bag in Elle to the final pages setting up a potentially tumultuous future. However, Haley can also be a bit annoying at times. It’s one thing to be fashion-obsessed; it’s another to pursue fashion above all else, including paying the rent and figuring out what you really want to do with your life.
Kelli
I've read books 1 & 2 and it took me a little while to get into the series but once I did I can't wait to keep reading what Haley gets herself into next.
Freda mans
Cute.
Fashion, mystery and a hint of romance is what this book is.
While I liked the book, a lot even, there wasn't anything that surprised me or even through me for a loop. Every thing was pretty predictable.
It was exactly what I needed at the moment though, and a few times I laughed out loud while reading.
I also had no idea it was a third book in a series, and didn't feel lost. So I definitely think it can be read as a stand alone.
Jaynan
This Haley Randolph is an absolute hoot. I laugh and laugh at her, (and secretly love to hear her fashion secrets!) I wish she could find some peaceful contentment in her life, but it's just not to be. I was disappointed to find that the author continues to have her working at Holts. It makes for some of the best comedy, but Haley really deserves a better job!
Melodie
I still think the first in this series was the best one so far, but this one was better than the last one. Haley is sometimes TSTL, but this one kept me turning the pages. The mystery was somewhat of an afterthought it seemed, but it was a good way to pass an evening when I was having trouble sleeping.
Tracey
Light reading - and I do mean light. I checked this out digitally on my nook, and it is thankfully very short. This would be an ideal read for waiting rooms, or maybe at the beach. The main character Haley is shallow, lazy, rather slow on the uptake, and generally not very likeable.
Dana M.
This is one of those mindless kinds of books that I think my brain really needs sometimes. The heroine, Haley, is inspid and almost unlikable -- yet I DO like her and enjoy her shallowness. I have read each book in this series and plan to read them all, how ever many there will be.
Carolyn
Love the Haley Randolph series but sometimes Haley annoys me. She doesn't like to work, she is with this guy JUST because he's cute, and she's just a general mess. I do love the books though. I can never put them down!! I am waiting for the day Haley grows up a bit though...
Gmr
A light mystery with a lot of shopping, particularly about a certain "must have" of the season called the Sinful, this book makes a perfect beach read or weekend getaway. If you're a fan of the Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic series, this one is DEFINITELY for you.
Denise
"Oh crap!" ... fans of the handbag homicide saga will understand that this is a fun statement at many turns and twists in these novel novels! I'm all caught up now having read Clutches and Curses first. June 2012 for Tote Bags and Toe Tags cannot arrive soon enough!
Jenay
This is a cute story, but not the greatest writing I've observed. There are many references to previous books in the series but unless you've read them they make no sense and become annoying. If you are looking for a very light read, this is it.
Mila Said
This is the 3rd book from the serial that I read. I love it since the first book. I like the character of Hailey, she's smart & energetic.
Overall, the story is entertaining. It has mistery, murder, romance but it still fun & light to read.
February Four
First Haley Randolph book. Reading out of sequence wasn't horrible, but I didn't like Haley. The ending seemed pretty promising, though. I don't think I'll bother going back to books 1 or 2, and the jury is still out on whether to try book #4.
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Dead Head (Dirty Business, #3)
  • Digging Up Trouble (Nina Quinn, #3)
  • Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery #1)
  • False Impressions (Stamping Sisters, #3)
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1)
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies (The Darling Dahlias #2)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • A Safe Place for Dying
Dorothy Howell writes for two publishing houses, in two genres, under two names. She writes mysteries as Dorothy Howell historical romance novels under the pseudonym Judith Stacy.
More about Dorothy Howell...
Handbags and Homicide (Haley Randolph, #1) Purses and Poison (Haley Randolph, #2) Clutches and Curses (Haley Randolph, #4) Tote Bags and Toe Tags (Haley Randolph Series, #5) Evening Bags and Executions