Start by marking “The Second Lady” as Want to Read:
The Second Lady

The Second Lady

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,407 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
On a state visit to Moscow, Billie Bradford, the beautiful and brilliant wife of the President of the United States, is abducted and REPLACED. A tale of daring international duplicity in which sex becomes the ultimate secret weapon.
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Lady

Anupama Ma
Mar 20, 2014 Anupama Ma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Second Lady long long ago. But the book was missing the last few pages and after that initial torment of not being able to find out, I have managed to live all this while without knowing what happened the moment they stepped off the plane. And somehow after all these years, something made me want to find out.
Maybe it is not 'cool' to say that you like Irving Wallace and such these days, you got to be snooty and like authors like to be with it. But hey, I like my masala and I will not
Rajan
It is a strictly time pass book. it is of cold war days. The plot is outlandish and so is everything else.

KGB comes across an actress in Russia who is a look alike of first lady. They hatches off a plan to switch the two. The actress is trained but they stumble when it comes to sex. This book has a lot of reference to that.

Climax is fitting to plot.

A racy, one time time.
VaultOfBooks
Jun 08, 2012 VaultOfBooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Irving Wallace. Grade: B+
With the humble beginning of selling magazines as a teenager to becoming a Hollywood screenwriter to becoming one of the all-time greats in literary circles, Irving Wallace has undertaken a topsy-turvy ride of life. He is considered one of the five most widely read authors of modern times. His famous works include The Seven Minutes, The Plot etc.
In the novel The Second Lady, Billie Bradford is a beautiful, intelligent and enchanting woman. But along with that, she is
Eh?Eh!
Aug 04, 2008 Eh?Eh! rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babble-added
entertaining but predictable. i guess it played on fears over Russia when it was written? the First Lady is replaced by a lookalike who attempts to obtain info directly from the President, her act carries into the bedroom, blahblahblah.
Meri
Jan 03, 2009 Meri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
novel terjemahan, judul indonesia "Isteri Palsu Sang Presiden"

It's not my favorite novel, but it has something that I want to it more and more. I read more than twice
Stella
Apr 18, 2010 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in school - more than 20 years ago. I still remember that I couldnt put the book down. Read it at one go. Would like to read it again.
Bahuguna
Quite gripping story with lots of explicit details. I like the plot and the fact that in the end one does not know who is the real first lady. Through out the novel i was thinking that its a pro america story and they have portrait Russia as a untrustworthy regime. However I think when the novel came, the Russian spies were quite popular and the world was still getting use to what now we call American policies.
However the novel does tell the reader about American nature of faffing politics as w
an
Jul 01, 2010 an rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
awal na skeptis membaca buku amerika... pandangan dan alur umum na selalu... pasti amerika yang menang. negara yang cukup arogan ini terkadang juga membuat para penulis na arogan. tidak mau kalah dan selalu menjadi pihak yang menang.

ternyata kisah ini bisa lepas dari pandangan rhe selama ini. di awal cerita pembaca terlebih dahulu diajak mendalami karakter orang rusia. vera, aktris rusia yang memiliki kemiripan fisik dengan billie, ibu negara amerika, yang dipersiapkan untuk menggantikan ibu neg
Siraul Nan Ebat
Sep 06, 2013 Siraul Nan Ebat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ending yg brilian dan cerdas, karena menyediakan amat banyak celah untuk dibuatkan sequel yang sayangnya mungkin tak disadari sang penulis, karena setelah sekitar 15 tahun belum muncul sequelnya.

Ceritanya tentang penculikan Ibu Negara Amerika saat kunjungan ke Rusia dan tak ada satupun pihak Amerika yg menyadari karena Ibu Negara sudah digantikan oleh seseorang yang dibuat sangat mirip dengan yg asli. Tujuan pemalsuan Ibu Negara Amerika itu untuk mengetahui strategi politik luar negeri Amerika.
Minn
Jun 12, 2016 Minn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Rodeck
Mar 09, 2014 Joe Rodeck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loathsome duplicity, cloak and dagger espionage, and torrid First Lady sex. (I could hear a million "Wows.") The villain: the evil USSR Empire.

So what if it's totally unbelievable or the ending maybe too facile; this is a fantastic entertainment!

"How should she behave? How much foreplay? How passive? How passionate? How aberrated?"

"How does the First Lady of the United States ___ the President of the United States?"
Chinmay Maheshwari
Typical spy novel set midst US - Russian cold war time. A bit overhyped on most of the fronts. Moderately paced story with decent characters. Some or most of the twists are anticipable. But climax is the part that kills it. Worst thing being the open-ended closing. You should really be aware of this before you pick this one up! That feeling of finishing a novel, but not quite the story...
Srinath Narayanan
This is one of those books which will keep you awake deep into the night with anxiety and leaves your mind speculating as to how exactly will this end! By the time you finish the book, trust me you would feel like killing Irving Wallace! An epic book that will leave you bewildered and trying to digest the super exciting climax to the story! Kudos to Irving Wallace for giving us one hell of a book to read!
Alexa Naidenoff
Mar 08, 2014 Alexa Naidenoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simplemente perfecto, mi libro favorito. Me sorprende no haber visto 5 estrellas para La Segunda Dama, hay que tomar en cuenta el año de escritura, no es posible juzgarlo con el conocimiento actual porque habría puntos de comparación negativos. El libro te atrapa al momento, lo leí en dos días porque no pude dejarlo a un lado, lo menor de todo es el final!!!
Nancy
Dec 06, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, adventure
The Russians and the Americans always wary of each other and always trying to get the upper hand. Well the Russians think that they have a way to get the upper hand when they discover a Russian actress that looks identical to the American First Lady. Three years are spent getting her up to speed and they even manage to substitute one of the other. This book goes full speed ahead right down to its very conclusion.
Sreedhar Pothukuchi
One of the most daring plots for a novel written during cold war. So gripping is the storytelling that you are sad that it is only a book with an ending. And so dipped in research based facts, you almost feel you are reading from the pages of history. Blessed is Irving Wallace to write yet another timeless masterpiece.
Carol Hennion
Jul 11, 2015 Carol Hennion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, written in the style of the 1980's, is the story of an audacious plot by the Russians to substitute the First Lady of the United States with a look-alike actress from Russia. The plot thickens as the writer helping the First Lady with a story of her life, begins to suspect that she might not be the REAL First Lady.
Apoorva Shankaran
He is known for letting you draw ur own conclusions . This is one of the book that ll pull u deep into it , you ll be anxious to know the progress of characters as the story unfolds , but at the end you ll feel that you re missing a few pages! It gets you to admire the pedanticalness of the Russians.
Hyderali Shaikh
Nov 07, 2012 Hyderali Shaikh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that this book received so less ratings. I was infact, WTF! People are not aware that this book was written in the 19th century by Irving Wallace & you can imagine he created this plot back then which we still use in our movies. There was everything in this book plot, love, action, drama, entertainment, lust & it was like thrilling experience while reading this book. A commendable job by Irving Wallace. If suppose in future, I became a movie director, i'll definitely make ...more
Victoria
Nov 30, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't call this literature but, it was quite entertaining. I can't believe it wasn't made into a TV movie. Maybe it was. During the cold war, the Soviets kidnap the US First Lady and substitute her with a Soviet actress. You can imagine the opportunities for excitement and suspense.
Perdani Budiarti
Kalau tidak salah buku ini aku baca waktu SMA ya? Tepatnya tahun berapa aku lupa, mungkin sama dengan tahun diterbitkannya buku ini pertama kali oleh GPU, he2

Ceritanya seru dan mirip beberapa novel Sandra Brown tentang penukaran identitas dan penyamaran dua orang yang mirip untuk sebuah misi yang melibatkan negara yang sedang mengalami konflik.

Ide penukaran dua orang wanita yang secara fisik sangat mirip tersebut ternyata mempunyai sebuah kelemahan yang melibatkan ruang pribadi sang ibu negara d
LemonLinda
Aug 11, 2011 LemonLinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, exciting, thrilling return to the Cold War era where the US and the USSR in their never ending game of one upsmanship are both vying for access to a uranium rich African country. A summit is to be held to determine a proposed treaty. In an attempt to access secret US information about arms to that country, the Soviets find a near look alike for the US First Lady and alter her to perfection. They then invite her to Moscow for an International Summit on women's issue and effect t ...more
Eva
Mar 02, 2012 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prathyusha W
ORIGINAL RATING 2.5 STARS
The first Seventy percent of the plot is a detailed version of the book's blurp. I gave an extra half star for the last thirty percent which kind of salvaged the book. This is the first and probably will be the last book I read of this author.
wairimu b
Feb 18, 2016 wairimu b rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yusita
Jul 19, 2010 Yusita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dewasa
Recommended to Yusita by: diriku
Dua wanita, ibu negara dan duplikatnya, masing-masing memainkan permainan yang berbahaya di negeri asing, berjudi dengan nasib. Misi duplikat mengungkap rencana militer Amerika terhadap Boende, negara di Afrika yg menjadi rebutan kedua negara adikuasa itu(USA vs Rusia). Sedangkan ibu negara diculik oleh Rusia agar si duplikat dpt memainkan peranannya sbg ibu negara. Sampai perihal yg privacy jg diungkapkan dalam buku ini oleh penulisnya...ckckk...private room in bed^^..

Intrik politik dua negara
Yawanika
Jun 05, 2014 Yawanika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-good-read
This book defined the word "page turner" for me. It was a good read with a mixture of all elements - romance, politics, thriller, sentiments, and the list goes on. A treat for thrill lovers
Barbara Schultz
Read this back in the 80s. Somehow missed entering it until it came up as a recommended book to read. I was on a big Irving Wallace Kick. Could not get enough of his books.
Jane Hope
Hilariously bad, but simultaneously hilariously awesome. Great for the beach, layovers in boring airports and rainy Sundays (with wine).
Dallas
Apr 16, 2014 Dallas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd read this book years ago & now I remember that it made me mad (in a good way). Makes you think about how much the ones closest to you really know (& you know about them).
Ending 1 1 Jan 11, 2016 07:50AM
  • Depths of Glory: A Biographical Novel of Camille Pissarro
  • Hotel
  • The Inheritors
  • The Case of the Rolling Bones (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Wedding-Night Affair - Selingkuh Di Malam Pengantin
  • Bling
  • Queenie
  • Landslide
  • The Class
  • Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person
Irving Wallace was an American bestselling author and screenwriter. His extensively researched books included such page-turners as The Chapman Report (1960), about human sexuality; The Prize (1962), a fictional behind-the-scenes account of the Nobel Prizes; The Man, about a black man becoming president of the U.S. in the 1960s; and The Word (1972), about the discovery of a new gospel.

Wallace was b
More about Irving Wallace...