Pope: An Essay On Man

Pope: An Essay On Man

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published January 1st 1965)

Alexander Mackinnon
It is quite difficult to find a better description of man as a species than the one Pope gives in the Epistle II of his Essay on man. He nailed spot on forever. Regardless of how much we learn, how confident we are, how much we claim to trust science, we are never certain, there is always that nagging feeling in the back of our mind and Pope puts it magnificently
Kate
Pope. Pope is very interesting read, purely because of the history of his life, and he status in England when he wrote this 'Essay'. Essay on man cannot really be called an 'essay' it is a poem. But from Pope's perspective I guess we could say that Pope didn't see Essays as having very strict boundaries(I'd love to try and pass that one by on one of my professors). Even though the writing of 18th century England is something I have a love hate relationship with, this goes more on the Hate side o...more
Lady Warly
Pope is one of the most important author & poet for his own time and also for us as an English literarture students. In his AN ESSAY ON MAN is about Nature which is the book of God and his criticism on the period of his time - 18th Century-.He deals with "Love,Religion,Society,Moral issues of humanbeing,Great Chain of Beings" etc. It is hard to understand for us as 21th century generation but the subject of this poem is valid,effectual and striking for all times. If you have any interest abo...more
zanra
Inspired a very eager, very-much-disagreed-with presentation all about how Pope is not actually a deist. Don't propose such at a Catholic University, guys! (Though I remain firm in my convictions.)

The first and only piece of writing from my eighteenth century literature class wherein I highlighted like, every other line.
Ed
Picked this up throught bn.com for $.90. It has all the long poems--or at least all that I will ever need to read--and will replace a couple of bulkier volumes as I reduce the number of dust catchers on the shelves.

Currently (re)reading "Essay on Criticism" which has long been my favorite work by the little guy.
Matt DeLateur
pope is dope (in a christian conservative 17th/18th century kind of way)
Merve  Özcan
1. ve 3. mektubu okudum. Hoca Love is the key dedi, gerisi yok.
Okudum, okumadın değil ama religion, nature ve Love gibi kelimeleri gördüm, sadece onları anladım. Hâlâ Pope neden bahsediyor tam kavramış değlim. Belki bir gün...
Skylar Burris
I'm still boweled over that the man could present a fairly cohesive philosphy on man and a theodicy in rhymed couplets. I don't know why I bothered to highlight, since I turned pretty much the whole thing yellow.
Heber
The poetry, the theology and the moral philosophy are all very elevated and sublime as is the humor and the wit. One of the most enjoyable things I have read all year!!!
Nissa Rachmidwiati
one idiom is enough to describe this beautiful poetic criticism : it hits the bull's eye! :)
Paige Duff
Only read it for school, kind of boring for me. If your into poetry it may be better for you.
Joel
My 1995 review: "I found the heroic couplets to be extremely monotonous."
Rob Roy
This essay is also in verse, and quite frankly, it gets in the way.
Howard
Mr. Pope is the Dr. Seuss of philosophy.
Lesliemae
I feel as though the verse hurts the content.
Suzi G
Suzi G marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alex Milledge
Alex Milledge marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Samantha Monette
Samantha Monette marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Athens
Athens marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Soren Minor
Soren Minor marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • Letters from an American Farmer
  • The Way of the World
  • Essays: Moral, Political and Literary
  • Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren't Fair (and What We Can Do About It)
  • The Principles of Morals and Legislation
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The Works of Anne Bradstreet (John Harvard Library)
Alexander Pope is generally regarded as the greatest English poet of the eighteenth century, best known for his satirical verse and for his translation of Homer. He is the third most frequently quoted writer in the English language, after Shakespeare and Tennyson. Pope was a master of the heroic couplet.
More about Alexander Pope...
The Rape of the Lock Essay on Man and Other Poems An Essay on Criticism The Rape of the Lock and Other Poems The Dunciad

“Act well your part; there all the honour lies.” 97 likes
“Know then thyself, presume not God to scan,
The proper study of mankind is Man.
Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between, in doubt to act or rest;
In doubt to deem himself a God or Beast;
In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
Whether he thinks too little or too much;
Chaos of thought and passion, all confused;
Still by himself abused or disabused;
Created half to rise, and half to fall;
Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all;
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl'd;
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!”
90 likes