Start by marking “Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes” as Want to Read:

Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes, by Southern, Terry
Paperback
Published December 1st 2001 by Citadel (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes

Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed by Lance CarbuncleBeauty's Punishment by A.N. RoquelaureAsphyxia -- A Smut Saga, Vol. 1 by Gori SutureThe Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. RoquelaureRorschach's Ribs by Marcus Eder
Adult fiction
11th out of 11 books — 25 voters
Appetizers by Ivan RusilkoThe Winemaker's Dinner by Ivan RusilkoEntrée by Ivan RusilkoAmuse Bouche by Ivan RusilkoRSVP by Ivan Rusilko
Books that stay in your mind
160th out of 165 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
I think genius is an overused adjective, but I'd use it qualifiedly to describe Southern's range, voice and freakish imagination. The stories assembled in this marvelous collection are so diverse that it would be hard to describe a theme, except to say that Southern has the eyes of an eagle when it comes to picking a target and understanding how to get the details and dialogue for it *just* right. Pitch perfect throughout, whether he's telling a story about a melon farmer who does epic battle wi ...more
Ron
Southern is difficult to pin down. On the one hand, he wrote the abysmal novel Candy and the screenplay for Easy Rider, arguably one of the worst, most over-rated films of all time. On the other hand, he wrote this decent collection of short stories and the screenplay for Dr. Strangelove, a work of cinematic genius. Tread with caution through all of his work...
Andrés Cabrera
Un excelente recopilatorio de cuentos. La mayoría hilarantes y demasiado críticos. Otros inolvidables(como los ambientados en México, y el ya clásico "La sangre de una peluca). Terry Southern, pionero del nuevo periodismo, hace hablar a su sociedad desde los silenciados. Su risa estremece, y retuerce los valores del ya dilatado "sueño americano":
Jenny Devildoll
Excellent collection of short stories depicting slices-of-life post WWII. The first two involve the friendship between a white boy of about 12 and a black farmhand who works for his father...as well as teaching the son a thing or two about farming pot. From there Southern explores the worlds of jazz musicians, scenester-wannabes, hoodlums, housewives, Cuban counter-revolutionaries, male nurses, veterans, writers...and in a few more humorous vignettes, imagined encounters between Franz Kafka and ...more
Kendall
Collection of essays and short stories. Not clear how much is fiction. Some clearly is. Others- like Twirling at Ole Miss are not- I think. Anyway- some if the stuff is really out there- like The Blood of a Wig- a story that winds up with the main character (written in the first person) shooting Red-Split or the blood of the wig which is blood taken from a schizophrenic. And it builds from there. Check out the second and third paragraphs on page 244 to see what I mean.
Keith
The grade's a bit misleading, since there's a lot of five-star material in this book: The title story, its sequel, You're Too Hip, Baby, and Twirling At Ole Miss, a biting new journalism look at the segregated South. But it's weighed down by some half-hearted efforts that suggest Southern might have done better if he'd given himself a bit clearer of a focus. Highly recommended, but only in parts.
David Ward
Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes by Terry Southern (The New American Library 1967)(3569.08R43) is a collection of short-stories with no common theme that I could discern. The title story, "Red-Dirt Marijuana," is the earliest reference to home-grown southern marijuana that I can remember running across. My rating: 2/10 (out of respect for his other writing), finished 3/15/11.
McNatty
Some of these stories are genius, some are really funny, a couple are cool and a couple of very odd. I wanted some of the stories to keep going, its frustrating reading short stories when that happens. However a couple of the stories are peculiar and I didn't mind moving on. Terry is an excellent writer and loves his narcotics. If you like the beat writers read this one.
John
Uneven collection of Southern's short stories and nonfiction. I enjoyed his nonfiction work more and could see why some (Tom Wolfe) consider Southern to be the founder of New Journalism with his piece "Twirling at Old Miss." Also worth reading was the title story and "Knife Fight," concerning the rural south, and his stories that dealt with the jazz and drug scenes of the 50s.
Clinton
In response to other reviews: yes the subject matter is sporadic, and yes there are a few stories of varying quality in this collection, but when the high points of a book are as good as this one's, I think those minor faults become irrelevant. I give five stars without hesitation to Red Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes, one of the invaluable books in my library.
Lee
From this book, which I read my first year in college, I learned that suddenly, brutally, and senselessly killing the main character of a story is a great way to end it. Terry Southern wrote the screenplays for two movies that deployed the same technique: "Easy Rider" and "Dr. Strangelove".
Mister
Some rather dated attitudes towards women (they are sexually uptight and repressive) and gays (they are silly), but some good stuff too. Does reflect the young men shaking off the 1950's. Has the scandalous item on the aftermath of JFK's assassination.
Joe Sullivan
Some of these tales are totally off the wall. Like I didn't get the stuff between Kafka, his mother and Freud. But other stories, like the title story and "You're Too Hip Baby" are so tight, so focused, they make me shudder.
Christopher tm
Southern was crazy.

Talented, sometimes brilliant, often hilarious, but also batshit out-of-his-gourd nutty as an honest-to-gosh old-timey hatter.

Good stuff.
Lysergius
A collection of the author's shorter pieces, two dozen humorous sketches which expose the hypocrisy of American social mores.
Pete
not as amusing and cohesive as the novels, but captures southern's wry sense of amusement and irony.
Joab Jackson
Southern's brilliance was like fireworks on a rainy night--frequently fizzling, but occasionally dazzling.
Ward
new journalism- what's up, what's up. shake it to the ground and bring it back up.
Rowan
A couple of the stories sputter a bit, but the majority is just stupidly good.
Jermajesty
Aside from 4 or 5 legit keepers, I wasn't impressed with this collection.
Jon McMahon
Frequently transcendent, absurd, poetic, haunting, human, too true.
A.Jay Wagner
Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes by Terry Southern (1990)
Rachel d.
Some of these stories will be with me for a very long time.
Peter
A solid collection of Terry Southern's short stories
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Christopher
This is a great collection of writing.
Sarah Dunn
As burroughs said....this man can write
Anne Marie Doyle
Anne Marie Doyle marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sean
Sean is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Michelle Elliott
Michelle Elliott marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • Who I Was Supposed to Be: Short Stories
  • Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales
  • That Distant Land: The Collected Stories
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • The Teachings of Don B.
  • I Can't Go On, I'll Go On: A Samuel Beckett Reader
  • Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration
  • Call If You Need Me: The Uncollected Fiction and Other Prose
  • Snobbery: The American Version
  • Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control
  • Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life
  • Off Main Street: Barnstormers, Prophets & Gatemouth's Gator: Essays
  • Some of Us Did Not Die: New and Selected Essays
  • The Kingdom and the Power: Behind the Scenes at The New York Times: The Institution That Influences the World
  • Codes of the Underworld: How Criminals Communicate
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
Terry Southern was a highly influential American short story writer, novelist, essayist, screenwriter and university lecturer noted for his distinctive satirical style. He was part of the Paris postwar literary movement in the 1950s and a companion to Beat writers in Greenwich Village; he was at the center of Swinging London in the sixties and helped to change the style and substance of Hollywood ...more
More about Terry Southern...
The Magic Christian Candy Blue Movie Flash and Filigree Now Dig This: The Unspeakable Writings, 1950-1995