Start by marking “Free Me ” as Want to Read:
Free Me

Free Me (Freedom In His Arms #1)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Dr. Bryan Newcastle needs a respite from the grinding responsibilities of his medical practice. He's looking for someone to free his mind and body, to take him to the sexual heights his ex-lover had stifled.

On an impulse, Bryan plunks down his credit card, and commits himself to a gay, BDSM cruise that he hopes will be the answer to all his prayers.

Bryan meets Phil Sanders
Published June 5th 2011 by Amber Allure

To ask other readers questions about Free Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Me

SheReadsALot
A Hearts On Fire Review

TWO HEARTS--"Freedom in His Arms" is a novel about a doctor, Bryan Newcastle, who is trying to free himself from his selfish boyfriend and business partner in Boston. He finally distanced himself and broke up with the cloying man. Bryan decides to treat himself with a vacation on a gay cruise, try to find himself and be a man with conviction instead of letting people walking all over him, namely his ex-boyfriend. He meets Phil, a Service Top and answer of Bryan's hidden d
Kazza
This book is a conundrum. Parts I liked and parts I didn't like. I also felt like I was being told what was happening rather than being shown on too many occasions.

Bryan and Phil end up on a cruise together - they don't know each other - men from two different parts of America - Phil is a newspaper owner from Des Moines and Brian a doctor from Boston. Phil goes on the gay cruise regularly, for Bryan, this is a first time experience. Both men need to get away - Phil to charge his batteries and Br
Monika
2.25 Stars

Review also posted on

This is such a difficult review to write because I’m ambivalent about Freedom in His Arms. I really wanted to love it and I thought it had a promising start but it quickly became tedious and repetitive. Even the characters lost their appeal as the book progressed, I found myself confused about Bryan and Phil. This story could have been a good one, the idea of two men meeting on a gay cruise was intriguing and I looked forward to reading Freedom in His Arms.

Bryan
Pandora
This book did not work for me. The writing is smooth. But the plot is boring. There is no tension or suspense anywhere in this plot. It is clear from the blurb, and from page one, that the story wants to push Bryan and Phil together. What obstacles lie in their way? Nothing, really.

One possible obstacle is that Bryan and Phil are from two different cities and meet on a cruise. Well, so what? Bryan is already trying to sell his medical practice. Phil is tired of random hookups and being a dom at
Adara
Edited to add: For what it's worth, I'm very likely to give the expanded edition a try and see if I don't feel differently (than the following review) now that I do know more about BDSM and have a better perspective on things.

Brita, if you read this, I'll do my best not to be mean, but brace yourself because this won't be pretty.

I'm so terribly glad that I read the first two books of the Romeo Club series before this, because if I hadn't, I'm not certain I would have ever picked up another stor
CAS
Like any eagerly anticipated vacation, I marked my calendar and counted down the days for this one to arrive. 'In His Arms' is where I most wanted to be and it quickly became one of the most memorable escapes from real life I've had without leaving the comfort of home. This story takes place six months after the Happy For Now ending of its prequel, 'Free Me', in which the two men spent an intense, sexually charged week together on a gay BDSM fantasy cruise. Bryan is finally ready to accept Phil' ...more
CAS
Free Me is an amazing BDSM story with a lot of heart and depth. It is so beautifully and flawlessly written it was impossible to put down until I had read the very last page. My only complaint is it left me wanting M O R E! I had not yet read a Brita Addams book and came across this one as part of Amber Allure's "Postcards from Paradise" series. The BDSM scenes are so intense and real I felt like I was there as a voyeur, part of the action. The chemistry between these two larger than life men is ...more
M'rella
Unfortunately, this is one of those books that I will forget as soon as I delete it from my eReader. Not saying it's bad, just that it seemes too bland (to me personally).
(view spoiler)
Victoria Rainey
Cocktails and Books Review

Original Review Published here: http://www.cocktailsandbooks.com/revi...

Bryan Newcastle is a doctor that works in Boston. After ending his long relationship with his partner Del, he takes a two-week cruise for gay men. Bryan works hard at discovering what he likes and does not like sexually before the cruise and on it. On the cruise, Bryan meets Phil.

Phil Sanderson is a newspaperman. He is attracted to Bryan at first sight. Phil takes Bryan on a journey while they explo
Thomaidha Papa
2.5~3 Hearts
Review written for MM good Book Reviews

This is a contemporary romantic story set mostly on board of a gay cruise where our protagonists first meet. Bryan has been in a bad relationship for a long time now and his sexual life is completely unsatisfying. After breaking up with his partner and before giving total closure to their joined practice, he decides to join a gay cruise in order to relax and recharge, but mostly to explore and discover his sexuality and his kinky hidden side.

Phi
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
This was an enjoyable, though completey unrealistic, story. I like the idea of Bryan realising he is missing something in life. He breaks it off with his current guy (who happens to be his medical practice partner) when things get too monotonous and the relationship seems to be going nowhere. He decides to go on a week-long gay bdsm cruise since he thinks he is a submissive.

First day on the cruise, he meets Phil, who he immediately jumps into action with. There seemed to be a lot of things left
Alex
Overall
A quick love story that was plenty sexy but left me unsatisfied. Some elements may be specific to me, and if you want a steamy summer read, this could be it. Definite focus on hot...not plot.

Review
Going in, I knew this story was going to be heavier on the sex appeal and lighter on the other elements, but I still felt it was lacking. To some extent, you need to suspend disbelief, especially depending on your feelings of love at first sight (or its many incarnations). I struggled at the beg
L-D
Dr. Bryan Newcastle is stressed about his practice as well as his ex-boyfriend, who is a partner in his practice. In order to get away from it all, he books an all-gay, all-men cruise. He is hoping to find a Dom that will take him away from his worries and his decisions for the week.

Phil Sanderson is an experienced Dom who is really only looking for a vacation sub. The men get closer as the end of the week looms, but will a week-long vacation coupling enough for either of them?

This was a pretty
piranha
second try for this author, though maybe i shouldn't have picked the sequel to a book i disliked, this one doesn't have quite the same problems -- phil isn't a bad dom anymore, fortunately. in fact he's a bit of a doormatty dom while bryan tops from the bottom and then tops from the top and then throws a tantrum over something phil didn't actually do. the whole thing feels ... like the BDSM is pasted on, you know? it just doesn't feel authentic, but written for people who enjoy pseudo-BDSM-lite ...more
Virginia
I really liked this. Story of Bryan and Phil who meet on a one week gay cruise. They are instantly attracted to each other and later discover that Phil is a dom and Bryan had had a hidden desire to explore his submissive qualities. They then go on to do so with toys and commands. The novella mainly takes place over the one week the guys are together. (view spoiler) ...more
Wendy Ann
A gay BDSM cruise? Very interesting concept! I enjoyed Bryan’s enthusiasm for discovering a new side to himself. Due to the length of the book, I found it a little challenging to feel a full connection between Bryan and Phil. I also thought there should have been a little more discussion and negotiation between them before jumping into a scene, but thankfully Phil was a great guy and didn’t take advantage of Bryan’s naivety. This is definitely a book that requires reading the sequel, so I’m look ...more
Wendy Ann
2.5ish. The best part about this sequel was the surprise inclusion of a real-life m/m romance author – Bryan was reading one of his books, got an autographed copy of his book, and got to meet the author in person. Beyond that, I wasn’t really feeling the romance between the characters and part of that had to do with not really liking Bryan’s whiplash emotional responses in certain situations. Regardless, it’s nice having closure on their story.
MsMiz (Tina)
2.5 - I re-read this on accident. I did not even know I read it before. Not one thing about the story triggered a memory that I had read it in the past. Make of that what you will. I was much less tolerant I think about the things that did not work for me.
piranha
phil is a bad dom; he doesn't explain or negotiate with a total newbie sub, he leaves him alone when he shouldn't, and he drinks when doing a scene. i didn't care about either character, and the writing is much more tell than show.
Casey (KcLu)
This is a wonderful story of discovering your true self in the arms of someone ht just gets you and gives you what you need.
Sammy Goode
This was a great story with an "almost" love at first sight! I can't wait to read the sequel!
Casey (KcLu)
Wonderful continuation of this couple's story!!! I absolutely love their journey to HEA.
Anke
Looking forward to reading the sequel!
Pippacon
I am going to review later..
Good_danto
Good_danto marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Hidden Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #3)
  • Fix This, Sir (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #3)
  • Bonds of Love (Bay Area Professionals, #2)
  • I Like You (Alphabet Soup #1.5| Russian Bear #3)
  • The Gift
  • New Leather
  • Pet Rescue
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
  • Puppy Love 3: Reawakening (Puppy Love #3)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Beyond the Edge (The James Lucas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dom Around The Corner
  • Precious Jade
  • Little Jamie
  • Golden Man (Golden Boy, Golden Man, #2)
Born in a small town in upstate New York, Brita Addams has made her home in the sultry south for many years. In the Frog Capital of the World, Brita shares her home with her real-life hero—her husband, and a fat cat named Stormee. All their children are grown.

Given her love of history, Brita writes both het and gay historical romance. Many of her historicals have appeared on category bestseller li
More about Brita Addams...
Surprises (Romeo Club, #1) Lucien and Serenity For Men Like Us Tarnished Gold (Tarnished #1) Rubbed the Right Way (Romeo Club #2)