Start by marking “War Stories of the Green Berets” as Want to Read:
War Stories of the Green Berets

War Stories of the Green Berets (Europa Militaria #28)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The US Army Special Forces, more familiarly known as the Green Berets, are the elite fighting force of the United States military. Their experiences in covert operations and unconventional warfare have been a part of American military action for decades Author Hans Halberstadt has collected first-hand recollections of dozens of Green Berets, past and present, who spent tim...more
Published November 12th 2004 by Zenith Press (first published December 12th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about War Stories of the Green Berets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Stories of the Green Berets

Martinez
This book is about my dad and i am reading this and i love it Because I want to be a Sniper. Awesome book to learn what it is like to be a sniper and how much training and rules for snipers.
Hans Halberstadt
Oct 19, 2012 Hans Halberstadt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
I hope nobody minds if I chime in here -- I wrote TRIGGER MEN and like to see what people say about my books. Perhaps some of you might like to know the story behind the book:

TRIGGER MEN is what we call in the Army an "after-action review" and "lessons-learned" document. I got the idea for the book after listening to MAJ Charles Greene's war stories while I was spending some time with 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry, 4th ID, at Fort Hood in 2002. Charles was the Ops Officer at the time but had previ...more
Noah
You probably don't need my review to know whether you'd like this book. If you would enjoy sitting in a bar with a bunch of special forces soldiers and hearing their crazy war stories and learning all about how to shoot someone in the head from 2000 meters away, you should read it.
Nancy Sanford
Aug 26, 2008 Nancy Sanford rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military history buffs
Not for the squeamish.
Max
I found this book to be very interesting. I have never read a book about sniping before, and I though the author did a good job of describing the job of a sniper all the way from training to shooting out on the battlefield. From the very first page, I was drawn into this book. I could not set it down. I also liked how the author shared information about challenges snipers face in life. The most interesting part in the book to me was the stories of the snipers. Yes, there is more than just storie...more
Mark Sequeira
Just okay I'd say. Random short stories of various sniper teams operating in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. I think the book could be considered quite callous but that should not come as a surprise considering we are talking about snipers after all. The writing leaves much to be desired and the brevity of accounts left me jumping from location and situation to new location and situation where I never felt I understood much of the context. I think they got caught trying to be a popular account and ye...more
Shane Hatch
Great explanation on everything that affects a shot and the skills required to make them. I learned a lot and cant wait to try it out.
Eddie Puente
Great insight into the life of a sniper. author explores many of the techincal aspects of the skills needed to be a sniper. Several chapters of "war stories", most of them are good and believable, one or two seem to add a bit of Hollywoodism in the action. Overall a great book. Author is a veteran of the US Armed Forces and has written more books about the special operations group in the military. Look forward to reading more of his books.
Robert T.  Garcia
Great collection of stories of an easy read on the guys who are head and shoulders above the normal soldier and take the warrior's spirit to a different level.
I enjoy reading about these men who dare to become something special when they themselves just focus on their missions.
True professionals.
Thank you.
Carmen wells
Some fascinating information about bullet trajectory and distances, but overly technical at times. His writing is also a bit choppy and discombobulated; some paragraphs seemed misplaced with the content in the rest of the chapter, and a several chapters were left open-ended.

Jonathan Jeffrey
I've read a lot of books on snipers both fiction and non-fiction, so I didn't find much surprising in the book.
For someone with less backgrounding, this book is chock full of operational details drawn from the Iraq war.
The book's editing/organization was not to my taste.
David
The majority of the book revolved around the description of the profession and the weapons, instead of the actual engagements, yet the stories were interesting, the language minimal, and the insight enjoyable.
CK Hicks
Clear, concise, and complementary to our forces in the field. A great look into the battles - both internal and external - of some of the most finely trained soldiers on earth.
Brandon Crouse
i really liked how it showed old pictures of farming and how it tells you a whole lot of details on howto fix tractors

Avi
a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I thought it would be much more action packed, but it was far too technical for my taste
Bill Mceachen
currently reading this, have read sevl other sniper account books, Hathcock's being another recommended one
Sam
"An interesting read. Not great writing, as much of it comes from the people who lived the sniper life."
K. Richards
great book. a gorry but accurate look into the life of a sniper in the modern military
Kevin
Excellent book about snipers and what goes into being a sniper, highly recommended.
Chris
Color pictures not for the faint of heart. Liked it so much I had to buy it.
Dirk
Good read on modern sniper warfare.
Michael
A great book of first hand accounts a experienced by the men that were there. It was a mixed read. At times captivating and compelling at others I longed for it to be over. It was an OK read.
Mark Thacher
Mark Thacher marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jackson Such
Jackson Such is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2014
Jer
Jer is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2014
  • Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq
  • Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden
  • The Village
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross
  • Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion
  • How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World
  • The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq
I trained to be a documentary filmmaker and worked in that industry for about fifteen years before getting involved with book projects. The basic techniques involved in designing a film project apply just as well to non-fiction books so the transition was easy. The books turned out to be more fun, more filled with adventure, and more profitable than the film work so I gradually took on books rathe...more
More about Hans Halberstadt...
Modern Diesel Locomotives U. S. Marine Corps U. S. Navy SEALs in Action U. S. Navy SEALs Battle Rattle: The Stuff a Soldier Carries