A Baby Sister for Frances

A Baby Sister for Frances (Frances the Badger)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,351 ratings  ·  47 reviews
With the arrival of baby Gloria in the house Frances feels that living with her parents is not as much fun as it used to be, so after dinner she packs her bag and runs away to under the dining room table. But when she overhears her parents talking about how much they all miss her, she decides that she should go back home. After all a being a big sister means she has lots o...more
Paperback
Published June 27th 2002 by Red Fox (first published 1964)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
93rd out of 395 books — 710 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
345th out of 918 books — 1,102 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
I loved Frances when I was a little girl. She was a furry badger, but she and I had some things in common. I couldn't sleep when there was the possibility of a giant, frightening thing crawling out of the crack in the ceiling, either. My mother was great at reading aloud and singing all of Frances' songs, too. I have trouble singing Frances' songs, because I'm never sure how the tunes are supposed to go. It drives me nuts.

That aside, the Frances books remain some of my all-time favorites. In Bab...more
Stephanie
I bought this book as a present for my older daughter (astute readers of my reviews will immediately intuit that a BLESSED EVENT has occurred; my younger daughter is almost two months old now and is doing great).

Aside from a disconcerting gap in continuity (I truly thought I had bought a misprinted version with a page missing; it was only after comparing my daughter's book with other versions in the library did I realize that I bought the book the author intended), this was a wonderful book, alm...more
Lisa
Another of my all time favorite children's books, and one that I like to give to people who are having a second baby. A clever story about Frances' reaction to a new baby in the house. My favorite scene is where she "runs away" to under the table and her parents have a pretend conversation about missing her while she is gone. I also love the way her parents confront the issue with love and understanding.
Amber
This book provides a lot of perspectives, which is really nice for the learning child. It allows children to learn that not everything revolves around them all of the time, especially when there is a new child to take care of. However, this book does a nice job showing that just because a new child has entered the family, it does not change the fact that they are loved. Additionally, this book allows children to understand that although parents do not acknowledge every little thing they do, the...more
Charlotte Stevens
This is a lovely book about a young badger called Frances who becomes jealous of the attention her parents are giving her new baby sister that she decides to run away. Frances packs up some belongings in a small backpack, takes some food supplies and sets off under the dining table. While she is here her parents talk about how they will miss Frances, and how her baby sister will be lost without her big sister in her life. All the while Frances is overhearing and she realises she should return ho...more
A charming story about a sassy little badger who decides that since her baby sister arrived, things around the house have gone downhill--so she might as well just run away and live under the kitchen table (close to the pantry in case she runs out of food, of course). But she can't help overhearing how sad her parents are without her, so Frances decides to leave her hideout and return home to her family. This old classic has humor for both children and adults, endearing illustrations, and a simpl...more
Margaret
One of many in Harper Collins Treasury Of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection.

While I did not remember the story, the illustrations of Frances are special from my childhood memories. This is a perfect time to share this new sibling storywith my newly big sister AppleBlossom. I love the illustrations and the text. With a mixture of sing song poetry and prose it is a delightful read. Also there are more words here than you seem to find in more recent new sibling stories so this give...more
Maria
This book is very similar to the previous Frances book I reviewed, both in tone and art, so it's a safe bet to guess that I like this book too. The art is nearly identical except that the accent colors in this book are pink and yellow as opposed to purple and green. This is another "getting used to a new sibling" book. I don't think the support that it offers on that front is as strong as in "Julius the Baby of the World" but it has lots of great little songs that Frances sings to herself. She a...more
April
1. Rating: 3
2. A book review from School Library Journal said, "A gentle and humorous picture book for everyone, but especially families with a new baby sister or brother."
3. A good little story about a young girl coping with a new baby sister that seems to get all of her parent's attention and time. Definitely a great lesson for new brothers and/or sisters and learning to treat the newest edition as family. I would recommend this book to students who are expecting a new brother or sister or to...more
Meghan Erena
Oct 24, 2012 Meghan Erena added it
Shelves: classic
This is a charming story of a young Frances learning her role in the family. Being a new big sister, which is a topic some students will be sure to relate to, she has to learn how the family is changing. Although her mom is too busy to remember to iron her clothes or buy more raisins, she still cares for Frances very much and would miss if she was gone. The concept of running away, is one that young readers may relate to and this story does a good job of rationalizing why it is not such a good i...more
Ej
Jan 21, 2008 Ej rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: families with existing children adding another sibling , families adopting a baby or child
I actually got this book at 5 years old when my mother was pregnant with my brother . It really did help me transition into " big sister mode".

Francis gets a new baby sister , and feels a bit brushed off...so she decides to run away , making camp under the dining room table .

the book captures the innocence of first-time sibling rivalry , and the touching way all parents try to teach new big brothers and sisters that there is more than enough love for everyone .
Amy
I adored reading these books when I was growing up and loved reading them to my children as well.
Kathie
I have four grown children and I read to all of them beginning when I got them home from the hospital. When you choose a children's book, expect to read it at least 100 times if it's really good. Kids don't get board of books they like. For this reason, it was essential that *I* liked the books enough to read them over and over. Any book by either Russell or Lillian Hoban is endlessly readable and funny.
Jessica
Such a sweet series...my mom used to read these books to me when I was little. There was always a "moral of the story" of course but it was written with such a sweet and innocent style that I begged her to read them over and over again.

Frances has a new little sisiter. Sad that she is no longer receiving all of parents' attention, she decides to run away and settles under the dining room table...

Meghan Hunt
This is an adorable book. The illustrations and story are incredily sweet. Everything seems to be changing in the house when Francis's baby sister comes around, so Francis decides to run away. Soon, however, Francis learns how much her family really does love her and how much she misses them. In the end she decides to return home. This is a great book for kids learning how to read with a little assistance.
Christy
jacky
Dec 23, 2007 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to jacky by: Alicia
Shelves: picture-books
Part of the Treasury of Picture books I own. I really liked how the book showed that the parents still cared for Frances, but there were some changes with a new baby. I also really liked how the parents dealt with her running away. (However, in reality, it might not be so simple if the child ran away further than the dining room table.)
Sherie
When things are "not very good around here" Frances decides to pack it up and run away...to the dining room. A baby sister disrupts this naughty little badger's life and she feels the neglect of an older sibling. But a "phone call" to mother »and father lets her know that "everybody misses you and wants to hugs and kisses you".
Julie Woods
A great book for any child who may have an addition to the family. I read this book to my son before my daughter was born, and it helped to prepare him for her arrival. He was very accepting of her and wanted to hold her all the time. This book is a good read for all children with or without younger siblings.
Gala
Frances was taking advantage of her parents by asking for more things like more allowance because she was the oldest sister.Francis decides to run away when her parents can not meet all her demands. Her parents continue to love her and make her feel special. Good reading for finding adjectives, nouns, and verbs.
Melody
This one was a big hit with both the little boy and the medium-sized girl who are here today. Running away under the dining room table is the single most enchanting thing they have ever heard of. I suspect they will be trying it for themselves shortly.

One can't go wrong with Frances.
Emily
I listened to this book with a tape countless times. I love the Frances books. I only had two of the books. I wish I would have had more when I was little because nowadays little kids books don't mean much to you unless you read them in your childhood.
Rebecca
I as a parent really enjoy this story. The mom and dad do a good job of letting the little one express her anger at not being the only child anymore. The kids like the songs that Frances sings and her runaway trip to under the kitchen table.
Michelle
I think that Kevin Henkes books are the modern Frances books without the clever songs (though there is one in Sheila Rae the Brave). I think that this one about a new sibling may be slightly better than Julius Baby of the World.
Kixie
In which Frances decides to run away from the family that has recently betrayed her to add a baby sister. She discovers she misses her family and decides to return, making funny rhymes about her predicament throughout.
Satin
I loved how this book expressed the feelings of many young children when they have new babies in the home. I would most definitely recommend this book to all families with little ones and new babies.
Kelly
Andy has brought this home everyday this week for independent reading and is completely captivated by it. He's fascinated by Frances running away to under the dining table.
Emily
Sep 26, 2007 Emily added it
Shelves: kidlitclassix
I believe this is the one wherein France runs away from home by hiding under the kitchen sink (and wears an adorable little pinafore -- oh Frances you are just too cute!).
Marshmallowlemonade
Lovely as all of the Frances books are. However, I felt the narrative was a little weak as the motivation for running away wasn't as strong as it could be.
Shanna
I remember reading this way back when as a youngster, almost forgot about it until Goodreads recommended it to me. Cute story and looks to be a great series.
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Mouse Tales
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • William's Doll
Bread and Jam for Frances Bedtime for Frances A Bargain for Frances Riddley Walker Best Friends for Frances

“Oh, yes," said Mother, "you may be sure that there will always be plenty of chocolate cake around here.” 1 likes