Start by marking “Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
Twelve Days of Christmas

Twelve Days of Christmas

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,296 ratings  ·  238 reviews

Christmas has always been a sad time for young widow Holly Brown, so when she's asked to look after a remote house on the Lancashire moors, the opportunity to hide herself away is irresistible – the perfect excuse to forget about the festivities

Sculptor Jude Martland is determined that this year there will be no Christmas after his brother ran off with his fiancée. He’s ke

Published October 28th 2010 by Avon (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Days of Christmas

Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I was a bit dubious about this book before I read it because I disliked 'Chocolate Wishes', the book I had previously read by the same author but as it's Christmas, I had to give it a read and I'm very glad that I did - I didn't even mind the mention of Chocolate wishes themselves! I adored this book from start to finish. The book was certainly festive and I really enjoyed the plot. I found the writing style a bit hard to get used to at first as I kept forgetting it was written in first person, ...more
Suad Shamma
I just finished reading Twelve Days of Christmas an hour ago, and immediately went back to Amazon to look through ALL the comments, as I was sure someone must share my opinion! I bought this book after seeing so many good and positive reviews, but I was very disappointed as it left me feeling very very bored and frustrated. It seems that I am categorized with the minority.

1. there are WAY too many details in this book for the reader to fully be able to enjoy him/herself and get lost in the story
Raquel Leite
Este livro conquistou-me mais pela capa do que outra coisa, visto que nem me tinha apercebido que era da Trisha Ashley e que não tinha gostado do seu livro anterior. E de facto foi um pouco aborrecido em algumas partes ler este livro.
A história é em volta de Holly, de 35 anos, incrivelmente chata, e tudo o que ela quer fazer, cozinhas, ajudar animais e tudo mais, tem de ser contado com todos os pormenores possíveis e com detalhes excessivos. Eu adoro cozinhar, mas isto chega a ser penoso, pois m
Lynsey
With me, when this author gets it right, she gets it REALLY right and this book was just wonderful!

There are no big romance fireworks and there is no sex in this book, which quite frankly is normally enough to put me off! However, the reason I keep reading Trisha Ashley is that I just absolutely love her anecdotal style of writing and I find myself drinking it in without even trying. I love getting to know her quirky cast of characters and I am always very sad to leave them. I smiled through mos
TheSecretWriter
This book not only has a great seasonally designed cover, it also contains a great story inside! Trisha Ashley has done it again by producing another five star read. I have recently become a fan of Trisha Ashely's writing and I think Katie Fforde has got it right when she states that Trisha Ashley is, 'one of the best writers around'.

'Twelve Days of Christmas' is a romantic comedy, full of the fun for the festive season and some delicious tales about cooking as well! The book tells the story of
Lyv
When I started the book, I really didn’t like Trisha Ashley’s writing style.

I got bored at several occasions. The author was often stating the obvious (“I hugged her – but cautiously, because of her prominent bump”. Yes, we know the girl is pregnant, you said it earlier). And all her unnecessary comments were quite annoying. It felt like she needed to explain to the reader every slightly ambiguous thing, just in case he/she wouldn’t understand.

Some dialogues were not very credible in my opinion
cloudyskye
Not too bad, but it should be edited into something better and shorter. So many unnecessary sentences, and if I had my way, quite a few characters would bite the dust, too. Ah well, I've read worse, and it's nice to look at.
Rebecca tedder
Holly doesn't celebrate Christmas. Firstly being bought up by her Strange Baptist Grandmother following the death of her mother during childbirth. It's also her birthday 25th December. Then many years on her husband died around this time.

A part time housesitting job turns into a Christmas bonanza when the Martland family decend upon the old family home only to be snowed in forcing Holly to take care of not only the Martland clan but much of the small village they live in.

The passing of Hollys G
Shannon
Given that Christmas is my absolute favourite time of year, it should be no surprise to you all that I simply adore anything to do with the festive season, and especially enjoy a good Christmas book! Needless to say, the title of this novel from Trisha Ashley was enticing enough on its own, plus the promise of a Christmas-focused story was as alluring as the smell of freshly cooked gingerbread men.
What did I think? I actually really enjoyed reading this book; the story was immersed in festiviti
Jenni
This was my second seasonal read, and I really liked it. The plot is fairly simple and it plods along quite contentedly. I've seen other reviewers criticise this book because not a lot happens, I found myself enjoying the book for this very reason. The book is set in a tiny sleepy village full of mildly eccentric characters, I think this is the reason I got so drawn into the book - as a country girl I could really identify with the book.

I enjoyed Holly as a character though I couldn't always und
Encruzilhadas Literárias
O Natal chegou mais cedo e eu não poderia estar mais feliz! Quem me conhece, sabe que sou uma apaixonada por esta altura do ano e abraço o espírito natalício, doa a quem doer (ou isto não entra bem na quadra?). Noite de Reis, de Trisha Ashley inaugurou a abertura oficial da época para mim! E para quem diz que é demasiado cedo, então não queiram saber o que é que estou a ouvir no exacto momento em que escrevo esta opinião. Ou queiram. É uma boa banda sonora enquanto lêem este livro: "Christmas", ...more
Julie Goucher
The prologue to the book sets the scene. Holly Brown is a young widow whose husband was killed in a tragic accident just before Christmas. Holly's parents died when she was young and she was raised by her Grandparents. Holly's Grandmother had been ill and as she passed away she mentioned a name of Ned Marland. A name completely unfamiliar to Holly.....

Holly housesits for a living during the winter and works as a chef during the rest of the year. Due to her upbringing and her deepset grief at Chr
Julie
I am quite disappointed to have finished this book as I was enjoying it so much.

Holly the central character is a house sitter and chef who wanted to escape Christmas but instead gets 'snowed in' with her clients family. To fill in her time Holly is exploring her late Gran's diaries and soon realises that there is a reason why so many of the villagers 'think she is part of the family'.

There are a few comedy parts as well, with some sarcastic swipes thrown in by the little girl Jess, who along wi
Emma
Unfortunately, the style of writing employed by the author really didn't suit my taste. It was virtually all tell, rather than show - including the dialogue which felt extremely stilted and unrealistic. I couldn't Understand why Holly would need to explain the reasons why she wanted to house-sit over Christmas to her best friend of many years and the spiky, rude exchanges between her and Jude just didn't seem to make sense, resulting in making holly a less sympathetic character to me.

There was l
Rachel Powell
Not the sort of book I would usually choose, but I'm going through a phase of reading the "fastback" books at the local library (recently published, 2 week loan period, not renewable) and when I went in on November 30th I'd just dropped my daughter off to sings carols at an old people's home, the library staff were putting up decorations and it was actually snowing outside, so I was feeling cosy and festive. It leapt off the shelf at me.

The writing was a little annoying, due to over-use of some
Caroline
A professional private chef and housesitter, brought up by a Strange Baptist grandmother, shuns Christmas because her husband died a few days before the holiday. She accepts a last minute housesitting job out in the country, and looks forward to the isolation.

Instead, she finds herself gradually and reluctantly getting involved in the home owner's elderly relatives and various villagers, all the while fending off irate calls from a very disgruntled homeowner currently in America.

Dealing with err
Lucy
*Aviso que inclui um pequeno spoiler (quem não gosta, não leia)*

É um livro muito bem escrito, e como já o disseram nalgumas reviews (nas badanas do próprio livro) é um bom livro para ler num dia de inverno... É reconfortante e diverte.
Não apreciei muito a forma como Trisha Ashley escreveu certas cenas no estranho romance de Holly Brown e Jude Martland, como o seu primeiro beijo. Embora entenda que a mesma quisesse que este fosse inesperado e, de facto, foi mas demasiado. Num momento falam de alg
Rhia
After I'd finished reading it yesterday, I rated it 2 stars.
Today however, I have changed that rating to 3 stars.

It wasn't a majorly eventful book, and I can't say constantly reading about cooking particularly interests me so that's why I initially gave it 2. Also many of the side characters annoyed me a little bit and I wished they had've been a bit more lovable. I would also have preferred Jude to have more page-time than he actually did, considering he was the love interest.

BUT despite any fl
Jodie
Definitely something to read at Christmas! I wasn't entirely sure about this book when I first started to read it, the characters were annoying and Trisha seems to describe every single mundane task that you don't really need to know but as the book went on it did get better. I gave this 3 stars because although it was a nice read and it was very Christmassy it wasn't the most exciting book!
Gabriela
I picked up this one book because I wanted to read at least one Christmas-themed story in December. It was a slow start, to be sincere, and I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the way it ended but it was still a rather good book and by the half of it, I was so caught up that I couldn't put it down, even for the sake of sustenance. :D
Fernanda
Trisha Ashley quiz nos brindar com uma historia "simples", ternurenta e aconchegante. Tem como cenário a quadra Natalicia e por isso pensamos que a historia terá o fogo da paixão embrulhado num ambiente acolhedor e romântico....

Ler Opinião completa:
Theresa
i really enjoyed this book i thought it was a lovely story i think the ending was a bit rushed and was left wanting to know if jude and holly got married and had any children coco got on my nerves a bit i liked reading the diary enteries in the book will definatly read more books from this author.
Jo
I didn't read this at Xmas time and it really didn't matter, it was a lovely story and involved quite a few laughs!
Heidi
This was a new author for me and I read it right at Christmas and after New Year 2011. Great!
Krisz
I read this book for the second time before Christmas, and on second reading it wasn't so good as previously, for two main reasons:
1) too much cooking details, too much slow defrosting
2) hardly any dialogue: for example when someone entered the kitchen, TA just wrote "she came in and said hello and ate a toast and went out" kind of sentences instead of letting the characters talk, and it bothered me by the end.
Otherwise the characters were well written and the story too. Accidentally I read this
Sandra
Livro delicioso para esta altura Natalícia.
Jane
"Twelve Days of Christmas" is about a woman (a widow) who has just lost her gran who had brought her up after her mother had died. She works as a chef/caterer in the summer months but in the winter she keeps house for people who are away from their homes. In the book she goes to a remote place in Yorkshire to look after an old house and animals whilst the owner is abroad over the Christmas holidays. She expects to be alone but is happy with that as she doesn't celebrate Christmas. However, thing ...more
Aromas de Cor
Não tive tempo para a leitura deste livro durante o Natal, contribuiria na certa para aumentar o espírito natalício, no meu caso prolongou-o! Confesso que comprei o livro por impulso, li o resumo e fiquei cativada com a descrição e com a capa! Não conhecia a autora, nem nunca tinha lido algum livro da sua autoria.

A história desenrola-se em torno de Holly, que não tem de todo boas memórias desta época do ano: a avó era muito rigorosa e séria, e não celebrava o Natal, nunca tinha havido na sua cas
Sue
Holly, for various good reasons, does not celebrate Christmas. So when she’s asked, at the last moment, to take on a house-sitting assignment in the festive season she jumps at the chance of escaping from her well-meaning and loving family.

However she doesn't bargain for the friendliness of the people she meets, nor the way she feels oddly drawn to take on responsibilities that are nothing to do with her contract. Then, when it seems as if she might be able to escape after all, the weather take
Maureen Reil
This was my choice for my 'Christmas read' out of the festive books that I'd recently purchased and the rest will have to wait until the run up to next year now. It did deliver the trick of getting me in the mood for such a season and I have to say that I was looking forward to mine rather more than the poor main character of this novel when she agreed to do a house-sitting that involved looking after the animals and then, the rest of the family etc. To be honest, it did seem a bit much at times ...more
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Home for Christmas
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Christmas at Tiffany's
  • It Started With A Kiss...
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • Once upon a Christmas
  • Coming Home for Christmas
  • The Perfect Christmas
Trisha Ashley is now a full-time novelist, but she has been known to work for stained glass makers and/or plumbers. She likes to paint, eat, drink, and read literary biographies. Her previous hobbies included getting divorced and packing to move. She claims to have once actually eaten Bronte burgers at the Branwell café, but her publisher declines to verify this. She lives in North Wales.
More about Trisha Ashley...
Chocolate Wishes Wedding Tiers Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues A Winter's Tale The Magic of Christmas