Start by marking “Converting Kate” as Want to Read:
Converting Kate

Converting Kate

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Kate was raised in the Holy Divine Church. It influenced everything from her homeschooling to her handmade clothes. But ever since her unbelieving father's death last year, she has suspected that there's more to life than memorizing scripture.

Taking advantage of their move to a new town, Kate to her devout mother's horror quits Holy Divine. She joins the cross-country team
Published March 15th 2007 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Converting Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Converting Kate

Sara
Jun 10, 2008 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like thought-provoking books
Shelves: young-adult, loved, 2008
This book was wonderful and so thought-provoking. Kate has been raised in her mother's strict faith, living her life according to the (fictitious) Holy Divine Church, but after her father dies and they move to a new city, Kate begins questioning the religion she once accepted as the one true way and finds her assumptions challenged and her beliefs more confused than ever.

What I really liked about this book is how much it made you ponder beliefs that we may just accept as fact. Kate, her uber-re
Ash
This book was well written and interesting, but I didn't like the message at the end.

Quick Overview: Kate and her mother are members of a cult-like church. While Kate's mother is still a strong believer in the church, Kate is having doubts and second thoughts about whether she really believes the teachings. The church created conflict between her parents and ended in their divorce. Now it is causing tension between Kate and her mother. After her father dies of a heart attack Kate and her mother
Tony
I have read Converting Kate several times now and with each reading, find a different pearl of wisdom hidden within it's pages. I have read it outloud on a long roadtrip with my partner and we both cried together over Kate's journey, seeing our own similar experiences in her "conversion." I have also read it silently to myself - slowly pondering each chapter on completion.

I always find a true mark of a great story whether on page, the movie screen or elsewhere to be one where the characters com
Holly
This book...I don't even know where to start. I mean, it's not something I would've found on Goodreads and went "Wow. That's something I want to read." Because it's not my normal book. I happened to have extra time one day while I was in the library and I picked it up, liking the cover. But this story is really deep.

Kate has been a part of the Church of the Holy Divine her entire life...until her father died and she began doubting what she believed in. Now she has to decide what's real.

This book
Gwen
Dec 20, 2009 Gwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: Sara
This is book was recommended to me by my friend Sara, after a conversation we had one day about different religions. I have to say, in the first quarter of the book I was a little worried that the book was going in a direction that I didn't want to read about.. But I was pleasantly surprised!

One of the main things I liked about this book, is that the main character Kate, who was pushed in to a cultish religion by her mother, was able to decide for herself that that kind of life wasn't for her.
Nancy
After her father's unexpected death, Kate begins to question the conservative religious tradition that she has been brought up in. When she and her mother locate to a new town, Kate discovers new ideas, new friends, and is able to gain a sense of peace about her father's place in her life and his ultimate death.

I liked a number of things about this novel. Kate was a likable character and some of the novel's minor characters were well-drawn and interesting. However, the novel's primary focus, Kat
Lynette
Excellent. Just wonderful! I find it interesting that the bad reviews were given by religious people. I was raised Methodist, but now I am not religious at all. Why? Well, just like Kate, once you start actually thinking for yourself, you realize that religion is ridiculous and a form of control. I am MUCH happier without religion, and I still lead as good of a life as I did before - better, maybe, because I'm not doing it because I "have" to.

But hey, some people need that safety blanket. I esca
Stevecrandell
Religion is at the center of this book, and at the edges, and everywhere in between.

Kate is 15 years old, her father has died, and she has just moved to Maine. She has the chance to start a new life, away from the strict rules of the religion she grew up with. At the same time, Kate's mom is working desperately to keep her in the church.

It's almost impossible to like the mom - she tries to forbid Kate to go to malls, listen to popular music, read non-religious novels, or ever go anywhere with
Alicia Schultz
I have read this book probably at least once a year since the first time and nothing can stop me. It's a fast read not because just because it's short but because it's enthralling. As a person of unspecific but definite faith, I don't see it as anti-religious, but rather an example of open mindedness and acceptance. I think I first read this back in 2007 when it was first published, and it is one of the most mindset-influencing of my Mindset-Influence shelf. And, as a person who can empathize wi ...more
Frezanda
I disagree with some opinions in the book. I did have similar experience as Kate. Period of doubts and questions, distrusting what I've been taught. It's a journey that everyone may face.
So, based on my experience, I just have to disagree or I didn't buy the idea this book trying to convey. Something is missing.

There are two extreme portrayal of brands of Christianity here.
1. The radical and fanatic church that seems to be full of restriction and require strict obedience of its members. It's als
Rena
This is why I have stayed in YA because of books like this one. It is touching, bittersweet, real, and just nice on the eyes. I simply fucking adore it. ...more
Lisa Murray
I wish there had been a book with this sort of honest faith exploration when I was a teen. Forget the shallow stereotypes and see how relationships are woven around beliefs. What is true charity? Is it love or manipulation to befriend someone to proselytize them? how do actions coincide or diverge from scriptural exhortations? and the descriptions of high school life match some of my own angst-ridden challenges. well-done!
Holly
This was recommended by a good friend (also a librarian) who, also like me, left the conservative Christian religion she had been raised with. Dawn and I both often consider literature our therapy, and that's exactly what this book was for me. Beyond that, it's a great story that would interest middle school/high school girls--it's got friendship, romance, athletics, and especially major mother conflicts!
Julie
Well worth reading! Someone on CCBC recommended this as a favorite of 2007, and I am always interested in stories about faith and seekers and doubters. I especially liked how Kate turned her ability to memorize Bible passages into a determination to remember favorite passages from her dad's books.

There's a lot going on in this story--grief, faith, friendship, identity. Well written!
Romie
This was a very emotional and touching book to read. After her non-religious father's untimely death, a young girl struggles with the beliefs in the strict religion in which her mother has raised her. She questions her faith, relationships, purpose and existence, while forming some strong and not-so-strong new relationships with friends and family.
Pepper
I really enjoyed this book over all. Many of the under pinning philosophies are very true. Elements of the Kate's struggle reminded me of the Patron Saint of Butterflies, another awesome book. If you come from a background where many religious people look at life in a black and white fashion then take note from Kate and look through the glass darkly.
Ricky
Good stuff, but I only bring it down to four stars because it feels a bit incomplete and there's no sequel. Neatly written, very surprising at times, and Pastor Browning's story gets pretty sad in the end.

Again, though, it doesn't really leave me with much in the way of closure. Which sucks.
Josephine Mercado
Funny, Interesting, and Surprising, this book was beyond amazing. It remains my favorite book, when I found it in the back corner of my library. I found it to be very relatable and would definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of reading it.
Mikael
Wow this was an unexpected good find. I can't even explain all the things it touched on and how many many people I know need to read it. I put it in my life changing bookshelf because it was that good.
Caitlin
OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK IS COMPLTELY ADDICTING! Once again, I usually don't read this type of book, but I am so glad I started it. It's interesting, and just GREAT writing.
Samantha
Although this book deals particularly with religion, I think it would be appreciated by any teen who finds they feel differently about a significant issue than their parents.
Megan Albertson
"converting kate" was pretty good. i liked how the guys played opposite roles than i thought in the beginning. i love being surprised by stuff like that:)
Barbara Ray
This is one of the best books I have read lately. Lots of issues but great hearts and good examples of friendship
Amber
This book is very interesting. It makes you wonder and keeps things going. Anyone will love it.
Cicely
The story about the trials of a young woman and her spiritual awakening.
Mary Farrell
Kate is a feisty character who I enjoyed following through this story.
Kilana Brammer
It taught me that you can't judge people by their religion.
Joséphine
Kate is a character I'm going to remember for a long time to come. She is someone I'd like to be friends with if I were to meet her in real life. Most of the time I remember books for their stories and their ideas but I will remember this book for the person whose story was portrayed and whose ideas seeped through the pages.

Converting Kate is one of those books that are very unassuming when you first pick them up. I wanted to read it because the portrayal of religion and religious beliefs in fic
Heidi McReynolds
YALSA 2008 Best Books for Young Adults

A great mash-up of heavy topics for teens: death of a parent, moving to a new school, questioning religion, homophobia, and of course the ever present how to fit in with peers. Recommended reading for YA's switching from religious school to public school, even if they aren't currently rebelling against the family faith.

I really related to Kate and her difficulty in feeling comfortable at the public school. She simply wanted to fit in without drawing attenti
Katie
This is one of those books that reminds me of why I love YA. It feels real in a way that most YA I've read lately doesn't. Not because it's set in the real world, but because the characters and situations feel real. I could relate to a lot of what was going on. And there is some romance, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. It feels like the kind of relationship you really have in your teens.

And I like the premise. I like stories of people working to figure out what they believe in and defining w
  • Quaking
  • Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
Married 30 years

Two adult daughters.

Currently Live in West Palm Beach, FL and Tenants Harbor ME

Have lived in Utah, Arizona, California,Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and NYC.

Hobbies: Writing, reading, walking, hiking, kayaking, swimming, oceans, oceans, oceans, shopping, movies, making cookies, writing emails (I think I must now declare it a hobby since it takes so much of
More about Beckie Weinheimer...
Are Mormons Christian? What is a Christian?