Witches' Blood (Rifter #4)

Witches' Blood (Rifter #4)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When John opens a letter addressed to his missing roommate, Kyle, he expects to find a house key, but instead he is swept into a strange realm of magic, mysticism, revolutionaries and assassins. Though he struggles to escape, John is drawn steadily closer to a fate he share with Kyle—to wake the destroyer god, the Rifter, and shatter a world.
ebook, 1st Edition
Published June 2011 by Blind Eye Books

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by S.U. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
68th out of 453 books — 683 voters
His Holy Bones by Ginn HaleWitches' Blood by Ginn HaleBroken Fortress by Ginn HaleThe Shattered Gates by Ginn HaleBlack Blades by Ginn Hale
Best Serialized Novels and Stories
2nd out of 17 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
Shit-shock-horror! My feeeeels!

Amazing! - The Plot

Horrifying! - The burning!

Heartbreaking! - Ravishan!

Betrayed! - I'm not saying.

In love! - John

Enraged! - Dayyid! Grrr...

In awe! - Ginn Hale

Terrified! - the future.

That's all I have for now. Onward ...

Blackmail, spying, blood, and burnings. I’m scared now. My heart and gut are waiting and bracing for trouble.

As John’s power and connections slowly reveal themselves, the secrets, desires, and lies are getting harder to hide. The constant dangers, deceit, and tensions are all making me nervous. Dayyid’s mistrust and suspicions, Fikiri (I have my eye on you!), and even Laurie all have me in knots and muttering to myself. Haha…God, I love this series!

Witches’ Blood upped the ante for me. Showed m...more
Em
The Rifter series, so far, is outstanding and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I find I'm falling more in love with John and Ravishan with each installment, although I'm now starting to panic about what the future holds for them both and whether or not they'll get their chance of a peaceful life together.

Whilst on the one hand I want John and Ravishan to end up together and walk into the sunset, I don't want to leave Kyle out. I do, however, have a tiny theory at this stage about Kyle and Ravis...more
Dreamer
Love these books, brilliantly woven plot!

'John bowed his head and gently kissed Ravishan's lips. He only meant it to be brief and sweet. But then Ravishan closed his eyes and opened his mouth to him. Desire surged through John's body. He pulled Ravishan against him hard, kissing him with a savage hunger.'

Jenre
Jun 12, 2011 Jenre added it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, romance
Part four of The Rifter takes on a different structure to the previous two parts. Instead of an equal focus between John and Kahlil, the book concentrates solely on John and his time in the monestary at Rathal'pesha. This part of the story follows John for about 18 months as he tries to devote his time to helping out in the infirmary by 'taking on' the injuries of the ushiri'im when they attempt to travel through gray space, and by aiding Hann'yu in the day to day tasks in the infirmary.

There ar...more
Star
Obviously, John is (view spoiler), and Kyle is (view spoiler). Um, right? Right.

Also, I'm pretty sure the plot of Hann'yu's erotic tale may align with the ultimate plot: (view spoiler)

Feel free to laugh at...more
Lady*M
Almost, but not quite 4 stars.

This part of the story concentrated on John entirely. And this is what my feelings were at the time I read this installment: I want Kahlil, Damn it! XD

In this part, John completely settles in monastery life - he has to remind himself why he is there in the first place. His relationship with Ravishan - although platonic - is deepening. They attend the fair and Dayyid forces Ravishan to burn the witch - young girl - and we find out he was also forced to burn his mothe...more
Three Crow Press
Three Crow Press Review by Lisa

So, if you’ve made it this far in the Rifter series, you know that John, Laurie, and Bill have inadvertently traveled to Basawar, to the year 185, when John intercepted a key meant for Kyle, his scarred, tattooed, and mysterious roommate. The three friends discovered the strange lock in which the key fits, then suddenly found themselves traveling through the shattered gates, to an unknown land. It is a land where suspected witches and revolutionaries are publicly b...more
Kassa
Witches’ Blood is the fourth installment of the Rifter series and oh it’s good. The usual disclaimer applies in that you shouldn’t try to pick this story up mid-series but start at the beginning. You should be reading anyway because it’s an epic fantasy story and seriously one of the better ones I’ve read, easily standing with mainstream fantasy stories. The difference is that the Rifter series is pared down to two important storylines and two main characters that presumably have a happy ending....more
Aldi
Once again wishing there were half-star ratings. This was definitely more like a 3.5.

Interesting developments! This installment was probably the most invested in this series that I've been so far. For the first time, John felt like a real, fleshed-out character and someone I actually felt sympathy for. The world-building remains fascinating - the descriptions are lush and evocative, and I'm quite fascinated with the theocracy background in general and the Payshmura religion in particular. It man...more
D
This one focuses more on John and the he spends waiting for Ravishan to become Kahlil so they could go back to Nayeshi. The Oracle Bones are close to finding the Rifter, and John's dreams are becoming filled with rather macabre details. The other priests suspect that there's more to John that meets the eye, but I don't think they ever thought that the Rifter was at Basawar with them.

Anyway, poor John has to think about how he'd get his friends back to Nayeshi without any of them getting burned...more
orannia
Four and a half stars. I must admit to being a huge Kyle fan. So, when I realized this part was all about John I was a little (only a little mind :) worried. I shouldn't have been. I feel far more familiar (and comfortable) with John now. His character is far more fleshed out.

This part was definitely dark in places. Very dark. The world - Basawar - is not a nice one. The tension continues to build...and the great thing about Ginn Hale's writing is, I can't predict where it is going. I worry. Ro...more
Carolyn Ma
I can't help but give it a two star rating. I just don't really care about John. I'm just waiting to get back to the "present."
Adriana
I read this book in like two hours -from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. -having to work early the next day. That's how hooked I am. And it was totally worth it.

Just when I think I know where the main story is heading, there's always something that catches me totally off guard. The nonlinear way the story is presented makes it even more surprising, because I can't even begin to imagine all the things that have to happen between points A and B to create the outcome presented in the future. I can only guess it...more
Janine Ballard
This was where I stopped reading The Rifter. I enjoyed the first three installments considerably, but this one dragged out the situation at the monastery, and was bleak on top of it. Between the boredom and the unremitting darkness, I found it hard to keep going and after I finished this segment, I did not continue on to the next.

More in depth comments can be found here:

Philip
Ravishan, Samsango and Hann'yu are all wonderful. So fantastic. Even if I wasn't phenomenally curious about how this plot was going to work out, I would read just for more of them.

I'm glad the narrative went back to John's time and pov. Reading the previous book that was entirely Kyle I got a bit nervous that this would be a sloppily written story that just drops plots and things. Fortunately, it appears that those worries were completely unwarranted.
L-D
This series was comprised of 10 novella length books. I read all the books before I came back to review, so my reviews are more of the series as a whole.

I enjoyed this book in the series almost as much as the previous ones. John learns a little more about his abilities on Bashawar in this book. There wasn't a lot else that was really mind-blowing in this episode as there was in previous episodes, but it was a good next book in the series.
blub
Not as exciting as the previous book but still worth the read. This installment solely focuses on John's adventure/growth and development in Basawar. The well of information being given makes one draw so many conclusions and it's fun to find out which of the ones I've come up with are right. Looking forward to seeing what the next installment will tell me.
Beth
This series is a must read for any fantasy fan. I think the last series I enjoyed this much would be Diane Gaboldin's Outlander.

Ginn Hale is extraordinary! This is the fourth installment and we spent time with John and his life and his adjustment to living on Basawar. I cannot wait, must keep reading!!
Meggie
In this fourth part we fallowed John true his days and months in the monastery. He gained some good friends with his good character and tried to stay true to his own believes. I liked this part. The plot developed slowly, but this way we could see how John life develops in this strange land.
Jen
Tiny bit of romance in this one. But, all fantasy with magic, priests, witches, and whatnot. Still an excellent series. The page numbers act really weird in my Nook, though. I thought "1,600 pages, wow!" but it actually skips 10 page numbers with each flip of the page.
Suzanne
The weakest of the installments to date. The story seems to have lost some of its momentum - perhaps due to the absence of Kyle? Hopefully the story picks up in The Holy Road.
Mich
It's fun to be able to start a story and finish it in a day or two. My last couple of reads before Rifter were all undertakings....;) Book 4 has been the best so far...
Katharina
No time to review, MUST CONTINUE READING!!!

... yeah, by the way, this is BEYOND good. :-D
Pamela
I can't get enough of this series! Having to wait the next month is very hard.^^
Leta Blake
fjdflajfl;ajf;ldjf I love this series!
KC
Awesome!
BTina
BTina marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Koan (Wolf's-own, #3)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Irregulars
  • Strange Fortune
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Manikin (Channeling Morpheus, #3)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Brute
Wicked Gentlemen Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #1) Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2) The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1) Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)

“No matter how bad he felt, there was nothing to be done about it. He had made hard and even cruel choices, but in the end they were the ones he knew were right. There was no use in regretting them.” 3 likes