Start by marking “Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)” as Want to Read:
Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)

Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)

John hatches a desperate plan that lands him in the middle of a battle while Kahlil takes on a final mission...

When John opens a letter addressed to his missing room-mate, Kyle, he expects to find a house key, but instead he is swept into a strange realm of magic, mysticism, revolutionaries and assassins. Though he struggles to escape, John is drawn steadily closer to a fa
ebook, 1st Edition, 123 pages
Published April 12th 2011 by Blind Eye Books

Vivian
Feb 01, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Son of a Biscuit!
Gimmee! I am so glad I was not involved in waiting for subsequent installments. Sweet mercy. NEXT!

Plot thickens as assassination is in the works, lost things are found, and things unknown appear knowing more.
Shelley
Questions, questions, questions ... that's all I have right now. I'm trusting my GR buddies who assure me all will be revealed and more than that; I am trusting Ginn Hale to guide me and spell it out with pretty pictures.

Picking up exactly where The Shattered Gates left off. The story has split into two definitive arcs (perhaps it already had?): one follows John seven months after entering Basawara and the other, Kahlil two years later - don't ask ... I can't begin to tell you how or why.
I coul
Jenni
Sep 13, 2013 Jenni rated it really liked it
Confession, just between you & me: sometimes I feel a little cliché using the words "world building" when I write a review. I mean. Am I being lazy? Could I better describe my point without those two little words? The answer is "probably" for anything else.

But not for this book.

Servants of the Crossed Arrows, the second installment in the Rifter series, is all about the world building. In fact, I'm not sure Ginn Hale can make the Rifter world more clear at this point.

This book, this series
Karen
Dec 11, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mm
I'm still waiting to fall in love with this series don't get me wrong there's definite interest and I'm pretty sure that Ms Hale has a hella' good story lining up but at this point while I'm really enjoying the world building and the plot is progressing I need a bit more character interaction.

I guess I need what's happening to the MCs to merge a little more and become one storyline rather than bouncing back and forth between two storylines (I think it's just two). Admittedly this is probably mor
Natasha
Sep 12, 2013 Natasha rated it liked it
What the fucking is happpppeeennnniiinnngggggg?
This might as well be written in french for the amount I'm following it.

Sheri
Sep 12, 2013 Sheri rated it liked it

Cloudy curiosity. Risky realm. Amnesiac assassin.
I’m somewhat embarrassed to say that I am really enjoying this, but I’m still clueless as to what’s going on.
Doesn’t make a lot of sense, does it? How am I intrigued while so out-of-sorts? I haven’t the foggiest!

John is a pillar of strength and forges ahead in the meekest of circumstances. I admire his courage, loyalty and love for his friends. Scrimping to survive his focus is to see another day and he’s dedicated to Laurie and Bill's existenc
Jun 10, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it

Ginn Hale’s Rifter Series blends sorcery, conspiracy, assassins, gateways to other worlds, and so much MORE to form a spellbinding mix of “can’t-look-away-pay-attention-to-every-detail” mystery and adventure. I am completely captivated!

”Anything he believed about himself turned on itself and became a lie.”

Hot damn! Ginn Hale can build a world! New languages, customs, foods, and odors—all pull me in and spark all of my senses. I can feel the texture of a room. From the roasting meat on the table
Breann

After the second installment this series continues to blow my mind!

I would try to write a review, but... HA! That would mean I'd have my brain wrapped around what's going on. And I don't. I think I might have a clue what's happening, at least I hope I'm on the right track.

But I'm seriously loving this series. It's keeping on the edge of my seat and constantly guessing everything that is happening. It's awesome.

I'm not quite sure all that made sense right now. So if it doesn't, it summar
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Dear book.

You are making my brain hurt. I'm confused and confounded. I think I know something and then I don't. Listen book. You better start explaining yourself.
Onto book 3.
I want answers k

Thanks
Mare~Slitsread
Susan
Jan 01, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
It seems book 2 wasn't everyone's favorite of the series. BUT...I continue to LOVE every page of every book.

Book 2 is definitely a bit confusing. There's some time jumping. And without warning, we find ourselves in the middle of situations where the reader has to try and figure out what's going on. It's not a simple read. But...that's kinda the BRILLIANCE of it all.

Here's my strategy: Don't try and understand every little thing. Just keep reading. Just move forward with the plot and let things
Christina
May 15, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it

Ok, I think I know some of what's going on but I need to know the how's and why's, right now!
Jenn
I'm having so much fun discussing this series with friends and the writing is just SO good. It's confusing at times, but it's forcing me to really think about what's going on, and every time I get a moment where I think I have figured something out, I just get completely giddy. I haven't wanted to really read series lately because they are done to death, but this really reads as one giant book that was separated into smaller parts. Excited for the next one.
Em
This is a great second installment and the story is now moving along at a fast pace. I did spend part of this book bewildered, trying to keep on top of what was happening, and then all of a sudden things clicked into place. Moving swiftly on to Black Blades.
Daniel
Dec 01, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
I have no idea what's going on but I can't stop reading.

description

NEXT!!!!
Katerina
Oct 08, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great Book, great series, all time favourite. And it goes on ...
Jenre
Apr 12, 2011 Jenre added it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, romance
*Warning: It will be impossible for me to discuss this second part of The Rifter without giving away spoilers for part 1!*

After the excitement of Part One of this serialised novel things begin to settle into what looks like a duel storyline for our two heroes. The first story tales up about two thirds of this 140-odd page second part and follows John as he seeks a way to get him and his two companions, Laurie and Bill, into the city of Amura’taye where he hopes to locate a key to get them back t
Desinka
Jul 15, 2013 Desinka rated it it was ok
I don't know how to rate a book that ended where the previous installment ended, i.e. there's no beginning and ended with ...to be continued. I'm sure the story will turn out to be great once I finish the tenth, or whatever number the last one is, installment, if I ever do. The story is interesting but the characters pop out of nowhere without sufficient characterisation. All the Arabic-sounding names are exotic but too difficult to remember and the description of this world strikes me a rip off ...more
Dreamer
May 19, 2013 Dreamer rated it really liked it
Loving this well-written adventure series, the plot twists and turns delightfully. I feel invested in these characters now. John, Laurie and Bill struggle to survive on the mountainside where they ended up on coming through the gateway. Kahlil has been thrown into the future with his memory in tatters.

'Fikiri wiped his eyes.
"What would you do?"
"If I were you?"
"If you were me," Fikiri said.
Shove the big exhausted guy out of my way and run like hell down the stairs, John thought in all honesty. Bu
Ana
Jun 12, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
I'm lost, I don't know what's going on, but after reading some reviews I'm glad to know that at this point I'm not the only one. I hope everything starts to make sense in the next book, and that some sort of interaction begin between the MCs.
Kristie
May 07, 2015 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit. I'm still confused as fuck, tho I think I kinda get some of it. All I know is I can't stop now.
M'rella
I usually like to know where my characters are and who/what they are and how many of the same character (yep, I meant to say that) is ...are ...is are in the book. Here we have different times periods(?), AUs(?), different worlds (alien but not, since they have magic(?)), different but yet same characters (time travel paradox(?), au paradox(?), hell knows). Secondary characters are abandoned for the majority of the book if not forever (I am starting to wonder at this point).
I am sorry, but even
Mich
Moving on to book 3. Nothing of interest or any kind of climax has happened. The change in times between where John is and where Kahlil is, is odd. I'm not sure it's been explained...Bost seperate storylines are orignial but not super complex. (minus the made up language). Not sure where any of this is going. On to book 3!!
Kat is a Glitter Pirate ☠

Still buddy reading this with AJH.
Still confused AF.
Still have 17362518 questions.
Still have 37271326 theories.
Still can't stop reading.
Suki Fleet
Dec 04, 2016 Suki Fleet added it
Shelves: m-m, 2016
I'm going to review when I've finished the series. Currently on book 6 and my heart is hurting.
Bookwatcher
Jan 10, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it liked it
Shelves: magic, glbt-gay, fantasy
First of all I want to say I will keep reading this serie, but this is not a 5 stars story in my modest opinion.

Positive aspects of The Rifter so far
Great main characters
Perfect world building (not just a "simple" fantasy story, but a very complex one with even a language created ad hoc for it)
VERY interesting know more about their society. The first book don't explain much, with this one much more was explained.

Negative aspects, and the reason I gave 3 not 5 stars
The description of the feast gr
Alexis Hall
Reading with Kat.

(view spoiler)

Imma just going to re-iterate pointlessly what I said in review of book one: I really wish this wasn't a frustratingly chopped up series. All the things that mildly irritate me are issues around pacing and plot revelation that I wouldn't be troubled by if I was reading one, thickish novel. Or the first of a fantasy trilogy. Or whatever.

This i
Armen
Dec 17, 2014 Armen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
I prefer to rate the whole saga instead each book. Personally I think that this book is very confusing at first and the freak I am, I loved it and swore to solve this puzzle. I don't really knew what to feel actually, i thought at first I was getting the story then I didn't. Most things don't really add up, but I continued reading the next books and that's when I appreciated the cleverness of the author (props to Ginn Hale).
What I really liked about this book particularly is the vagueness of i
Sofia
May 02, 2015 Sofia added it

Have to continue.......

BR with Irina

Too soon to rate - will do so when I finish the whole lot.

On to Black Blades
  • Dream (Aisling, #2)
  • Irregulars
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Strange Fortune
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Treasure (The Lost Gods, #1)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Reawakening (Reawakening, #1)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea

Rifter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1)
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • Witches' Blood (Rifter #4)
  • The Holy Road (Rifter #5)
  • Broken Fortress (Rifter #6)
  • Enemies & Shadows (Rifter #7)
  • The Silent City (Rifter #8)
  • The Iron Temple (Rifter, #9)
  • His Holy Bones (Rifter #10)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)

“It didn’t matter who he might have been. That was not who he was now. He created himself each day and slowly built his own history.” 9 likes