Start by marking “Uncle Vanya” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vanya

Uncle Vanya

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  12,820 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. ALEXANDER SEREBRAKOFF, a retired professor
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Vanya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Vanya

Jason
Jul 30, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2015
Another great Anton Chekhov play. I’m not really sure what it is I love about Chekhov, though if I had to narrow it down I might attribute that love to some of his more pitiable characters—think Lubov Andreyevna, for example, or Treplev from The Seagull. Or I might say that there’s a kind of understatedness to his plots that bring his plays to life in a way that is often unmatched. There are recurring themes, also, that unify his four major works. The characters in Uncle Vanya discuss at length ...more
M.
Dec 30, 2012 M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramaturgy
Just this.
"We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live, Uncle Vanya. We shall live through the long procession of days before us, and through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity on us. Ah, then dear, dear Uncle,
Lyn
Nov 02, 2014 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Vanya was completed by Russian playwright, author and doctor Anton Chekhov in 1897 and first produced in Moscow in 1899. This fairly complicated interaction between a group of people, secluded in a country estate is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed hopes. To say it is bleak would be like saying Conan O’Brien can be a snarky smart ass.

description

But this is Russian drama, so some darkness can be expected, even anticipated. I wonder if long, col
Ken Moten
"Astrov [shouts angrily]: Stop it! [Softening tone] Those who will come after us, in two or three hundred years, and who will despise us for having lived our lives so stupidly and insipidly--perhaps they will find a means of happiness...In the whole district there were only two decent, cultured men: you and I. But after ten years of this contemptible, barbarian existence we have been encompassed by it--it has poisoned our blood with its putrid fumes and we have become just such vulgarians as all ...more
Trish
I came upon this play at just the right moment, when I could see it in isolation and yet reflecting the connections between it and all the other great plays about family interaction, unrequited love, and human despair. It reminded me strongly of Eugene O'Neill or Arthur Miller, filled with a kind of crazy inability to act, to move, to change.

I had no idea previously that Chekov was writing directly to all of us, the people "one hundred or two hundred years from now" who would be facing an enviro
Duane
I enjoy Chekhov's short stories immensely, I think many of them would make very good plays. But he also wrote good plays, and Uncle Vanya was one of the best. It's about one Russian family and their interfamily relationships, featuring jealousy, secret amorous longings, and common bickering, that occur over a span of a few days. I know it's meant to be a serious play, and it is, but I couldn't help but be amused by some of their actions and conversations. I would love to see this one on stage.
Rıdvan
Jan 03, 2017 Rıdvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anton Chekov. Gerçekçi oyunculuğun Bernard Shaw'la birlikte mucidi.
Vanya Dayı ise onun en bilindik oyunlarından biri.
Br çiftlikte geçiyor oyun.
Vanya, Sonya'nın dayısı. Sonya'nın annesi ölmüş. Yaşlı babası, güzeller güzeli üvey annesi, dayısı ve dadası ile beraber yaşıyorlar çiftlikte.
Bu arada Vanya dayı, üvey anneye fena halde aşık.
Birde doctor var. Yaşlı babanın romatizma ağrıları nedeniyle o da çiftlikte. Üvey anneyi görür görmez o da vuruluyor kadıncağıza. Kadının yaşlı profesörle evil olm
محمود حسني

لما برجع أقرا حاجة لتشيكوف بفتكر كلام باتريك سوزكيند عن موزارت في مسرحية مونودراما عبقرية ليه اسمها الكونتراباص

وكان بيقول على لسان عازف الكونتراباص : إن موزارت حقيقة ليس أسطورة في الموسيقى .. ليس استثنائي في مؤلفاته .. أهميته ليست فنية بقدر ما هي تاريخية .. أهميته في أنه أول من أفتتح تلك الدروب التي أتى من بعده بيتهوفن وشوبان وشوبارت ليملؤها عبقرية ..

تقريبا الكلام اللي اتقال عن موزارت في الموسيقى نقدر نقوله عن تشيكوف في الأدب وخصوصا القصة القصيرة ..

#تأملات
Perihan
Sep 26, 2016 Perihan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Vanya Dayı: Çocuğum, bilsen nasıl da güç geliyor bana! Ah bilsen nasıl güç geliyor!

Sonya: Ne yapabiliriz? Yaşamak gerek!
...
Hayatında mutluluğu tadamadın, ama bekle Vanya Dayı bekle...
Dinleneceğiz..."

Vanya Dayı’nın geçen yıllar karşısında elinden kaçırdıklarına ve
bunlara karşı olan isyanına ,
insanın da isyan edesi geliyor bağıra bağıra!
Tempo de Ler
Mar 26, 2015 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O tamanho deste livro não é reflexo da densidade do seu conteúdo. Por ser uma peça, acabamos por ter um papel mais activo, acrescentando as nossas percepções em relação ao que não foi escrito. Cada vez mais os livros se enchem de grafismo, parágrafos e parágrafos de descrição para montar cenários, linhas e mais linhas para dissecar sentimentos e aqui está, da forma mais simples possível, mas com igual ou superior competência, «O Tio Vânia».

A melancolia que encontrei antes nos contos de Tchekhov
Aliaa Mohamed
Sep 13, 2014 Aliaa Mohamed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
ربما تبدو المسرحية في مظهرها الخارجي عادية ، ربما بعد الانتهاء من القراءة تشعر بأنك لم تحصل على شيء جديد أو تستفيد شيئاً من قراءتها ، ربما تشعر بخواء ولكن كل هذا لا ينكر أن بساطة أسلوب تشيخوف في تلك المسرحية اخفى وراءه قيمة هامة للعمل المسرحي هذا .
الخال فانيا ، الكثيرون منا بداخلهم الخال فانيا ، البعض يعترف بذلك والبعض الآخر يرتدي قناعاً لإخفاء ذلك .
أغلبنا تمر عليه لحظة يشعر وأن حياته مرت هباءاً وأنه أضاع الكثير من الوقت في الماضي دون أن يقوم بعمل أشياء لا يستطيع القيام بها الآن ، الندم وما أدرا
Matt

Seen the Louis Malle movie a bunch of times, saw it performed as a kind of farcical romp once, read the actual play several times over.

It's my favorite among the Chekhov plays I've read. Stunning, relate-able, so agonizingly true to life (the love triangles, dorky-but-sweet professor type doesn't notice the simple heart who loves him, wretched old man whose longing for the beautiful lady is simultaneously his idea of redemption and self-pity, on and on....) and with an ending that gently plac
Çağdaş
Mar 28, 2016 Çağdaş rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, library
Bugün de, yaşlılığımızda da, dinlenmek bilmeden, başkaları için çalışıp didineceğiz.
Jayanth
A nice play depicting the sad and troublesome state of things in a Russian family.

The premise is that an old man comes back home with a very young wife after his first wife dies. This affects the rest of the people living in the household in different ways. It is a sad story and the dialogue between some of the characters was so moving.

The dramatic narration on Librivox is great.
David Sarkies
Oct 09, 2013 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modernists and people who like Russian literature
Recommended to David by: I've always wanted to read Chekov
Shelves: modernist
The nobility in a time of transition
11 October 2013

This is the last of the four Chekov plays that was in the book that I picked up in a second hand bookshop in Adelaide. The main reason that I grabbed the book was because I had never read anything by Chekov before, and also it was one of those nice hardcover editions (though I suspect that it is actually a part of a much larger collection of world literature, like the ones that are advertised in television in one of those ridiculously long info
Hamid Hasanzadeh
روسیه همیشه توجه مرا به خود جلب می کند. رمان های داستایوسکی ، مدرسه هنرهای مسکو ، افکار لنین و حذب بلشویک و تاریخش ، و سینمای تارکوفسکی به راستی گواه بر این مدعاست که روسیه سرشار از سرچشمه های ذوق هنری و تفکر فلسفی-انقلابی بوده است. اگر که داستایوسکی را بهترین رمان نویس بدانیم ، بی شک در زمینه نمایشنامه نویسی آنتون چخوف-نه تنها در روسیه- بل در سطح جهان از بهترینان است.
دایی وانیا که یکی دیگر از شاهکارهای اوست در اواخر سده ی نوزدهم نگارش شده و به سال 1899 توسط مدرسه تئاتر مسکو و شخص استانیسلاوسکی
Alan
Mar 24, 2014 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First saw this at the Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis, nearly five decades ago (1969)--before I had read it in translation or (parts) in Russian. (The title, Дядя Ваня can be understood after two weeks of Russian.) The Guthrie had the tone just right--a comedy with a sad ending? Rather like so many Shakespeare tragedies with (somewhat) happy endings-- RIII,even MacBeth. Back then it was rare to see Checkov anything but dreary, quasi-tragic, similar to Ibsen.
Dr. Astrov's resounding support for the
J.V. Seem
Dec 19, 2013 J.V. Seem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
In my present state, spending Christmas at the psych ward to be kept an eye on while I test drugs, I feel it's only fitting to read the people who would understand: the Russians. I spent pretty much all of yesterday sitting in the living room here reading Chekhov's Uncle Vanya.

I realized pretty soon that not only do Anton Chekhov's plays have a lot in common, but Uncle Vanya is pretty much the same story as The Cherry Orchard; it shares that many common themes. But rather than feeling that this
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Generally stories move from a starting point, through some crisis, and return the hero(ine) to the starting point, but now changed by the experience. That doesn't happen in "Uncle Vanya." The situation at the end is largely the same as before. There has been some discovery. People have learned something of what others feel and think about them, and about their own feelings towards others, but that knowledge is not profound, nor is there any change brought about because of the new knowledge.
When
Ahmad Sharabiani
Uncle Vanya , Anton Chekhov
عنوان: دايى وانيا - نمایشنامه در چهار پرده؛ آنتون چخوف؛ مترجم: هوشنگ پیرنظر؛ تهران، نیل، 1347؛ در 127 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، نشر قطره، 1383، شابک: 9643412709، در 110 ص، چاپ سوم 1386: شابک: 9789643412708؛ چاپ چهارم 1388؛ چاپ هشتم 1392؛ چاپ نهم 1393؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان روسی قرن 19 م
عنوان: دايى وانيا و فرجامین اثر؛ آنتون چخوف؛ مترجم: احسان مجید تجریشی؛ تهران، اندیشه مانا، 1385؛ در 135 ص؛ شابک: 9649573763؛ دایی وانیا از ص 1 تا 114؛
عنوان: دايى وانيا - صفحه هایی از
Riham
Apr 27, 2011 Riham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
about waste of life and aging..
اللحظة من حياتك التى تدرك فيها أنك أضعت عمرا فيما لا يفيد و أن كل قناعاتك وأفكارك كانت أفكار تافهة لم تخدم ولن تنفع..
الخال فانيا شعر بذلك..ولكنه قرر أن من الأفضل أن يستمر في تلك الحياة عديمة القيمة :(
Jana
Oct 02, 2016 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book quite a lot, unexpectedly.
Pavel
The end of this play is the lightest piece of prose ever written. In the darkest hour it actually tells me that there's still hope. I know this sounds pompous and yes, you have to go through whole play to get to this part, but still... I know this words by heart in Russian, not sure if it sounds that good in translation, copying it from some web site:

Vegantrav
Bleak.

Very bleak and dreary, like the Russian countryside in winter.

Not my cup of tea--especially the cold, bitter tea on offer in this play.

Can I say that Uncle Vanya is not boring yet is also not interesting without sounding absurd? It didn't bore me, yet I had no real interest in it as I read. The play is so short that its drabness does not deter the reader from finishing it.

There really is hardly any plot here: just a slice of the flat, listless lives of the characters who populate this r
Jim
Mar 30, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anton Chekhov's plays are so dense with the aura of disappointment that it is difficult to summarize them. Here we have a country estate which is run by Ivan and Sonia, unmarried brother and sister, for the benefit of their selfish father, the now retired Professor Serebryakov and his young wife. Ivan loves Serebryakov's twentyish wife Yelena; and Sonia, Doctor Astrov, who is in turn also in love with Yelena and thoroughly tired of her aging husband's hypochondria.

Even Astrov realizes that his
Gorfo
Feb 05, 2014 Gorfo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd out of a 5 marathon Chekhov reading streak. I read Uncle Vanya after reading Ivanov. Some choice quotes include:

"Your doctor was right --- there's a demon of destruction in every one of you. You don't spare the trees, nor the birds, nor the women, nor each other."

"A woman becomes a man's friend in three steps: first acquaintance, then lover, then friend"

"You felt like shooting somebody, you should have put a bullet in your own head."

"I used to think freaks were sick, but I've c
Liz Janet
Dec 20, 2015 Liz Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
"There is no greater sorrow than to know another’s secret when you cannot help them.”

Ever heard of Russian drama? Have you ever heard of Tolstoy or Dostoevsky? Yes, those dramatic bastards! Chekhov is one of them.

This is the story of a very unhappy family, of wasted lives, of frustrated hopes, and a slight undertone of ecological issues.

“One hundred years from now, the people who come after us, for whom our lives are showing the way–will they think of us kindly? Will they remember us with a kin
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal
Sep 07, 2014 Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anton-chekhov

لحد الان لم أقرأ قصةاو مسرحيه مبهرة لانطون تشيخوف ..هذه المسرحيه تافهه للغايه هل تكلم تشيخوف عن مشاكل فى مجتمعه؟..لا لم يفعل فقط نجد مسرحيه بدون هدف تحكى عن عائله ريفيه حياتها ممله ورتيبه ..يتبدل حالها
بمجرد وصول احد افراد الاسره هو وزوجته ..يقع كل افراد الاسرة الذكور والعجائز فى غرام الزوجه ..وتجنبا للمشاكل
تقرر الزوجه وزوجها الرحيل كما جاءا ..هذه هى المسرحيه
Ana Rînceanu
Mar 10, 2014 Ana Rînceanu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, 19th-century
This play gives a melancholic look at the concept of "wasted life", which all of our characters suffer from to some extent. This was a great play but I would not recommend reading it in case you are depressed since the play does not offer any solutions or comforts aside from the promise of an afterlife. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Chekhov an atheist?
Carolina Morales
A four acts play that dwells on existencialism and how free loaders can walk free while exploited people can either become nauseated or simply get resigned under systematic family abuse.
All About Books: Group Play -- Uncle Vanya (Spring 2015) 46 43 Jun 19, 2015 09:08AM
Public Play House: Uncle Vanya 1 7 Mar 01, 2015 10:04PM
  • The Threepenny Opera
  • The Clean House and Other Plays
  • Asya / First Love
  • Oleanna
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...

“..when one has no real life, one lives by mirages. It's still better than nothing.” 42 likes
“What must human beings be, to destroy what they can never create?” 30 likes