Start by marking “Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case

Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,425 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Sherlock Holmes, just thirteen, is a misfit. His highborn mother is the daughter of an aristocratic family, his father a poor Jew. Their marriage flouts tradition and makes them social pariahs in the London of the 1860s; and their son, Sherlock, bears the burden of their rebellion. Friendless, bullied at school, he belongs nowhere and has only his wits to help him make his ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Tundra Books (first published August 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Crow, please sign up.

Sevdragon yes
it is full of suspense toward the end
and it has a surprise ending

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2 1/2

Fresh on the heels of the Enola Holmes series, I was on something of a kick - so when I came across the notion of a story showing us a boy Sherlock Holmes and how he came to be who he was, I was certainly intrigued.

Unfortunately, I had some major issues with the story.

Now, there were parts of it which were interesting and Peacock seems to have given some serious thought to a background story which could possibly lead the adult Holmes to be how he was.

On the other hand, it read like many a u
Ken
Jan 19, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never given much thought to Sherlock Holmes as a boy or spent any time pondering what Holmes must have been like as a teenager. Reading "Eye of the Crow" though kind of forces the issue.

I think the origins of Holmes that Peacock chooses are a much darker and more depressing view than I would have had. That certainly does not make Peacock's ideas wrong, just a different interpretation than I probably would have made.

The story IS dark. It shows a bleak childhood for the boy who would become
earthy
Aug 18, 2009 earthy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical, ya
Dark, somewhat plodding origin mystery for Sherlock Holmes. Introduces several familiar characters and Sherlockian elements. While it's fun to see imaginings about Holmes' past, the mystery itself isn't particularly interesting or original, and it's a bit disturbing that all the truly horrible things in the book happen to women. Probably only worth a read if you're a pretty dedicated Holmes fan. First in a series.
Bito Dang
Apr 17, 2012 Bito Dang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-uk, adventure, teenager
Đây là cuốn sách đầu tiên sau khoảng 10 năm mình chưa đọc một cuốn trinh thám nào tuy từ nhỏ cuốn nào mình đọc mình cũng đều thấy thích, nhưng lại ngại mua. Tự dưng năm nay nổi hứng muốn thay đổi chút thể loại và làm 2 em trong Series này.
Một cuốn sách tuyệt vời vì mình hoàn toàn 'enjoy' nó.
Sherlock Holmes thì nổi tiếng quá rồi, nhưng thực ra chưa cầm cuốn sách nào của Conan Doyla cả. Nhưng đọc xong cuốn này chắc phải có kế hoạch làm một bộ thôi.
Theo ý kiến cá nhân của một người ít đọc truyện tr
Treasa
Thirteen-year-old Sherlock Holmes is living a hard life with his poverty-stricken parents in London. Tired of being mocked at school, Sherlock stops attending and instead spends his days on the streets of the city, observing everyone and everything around him. When a murder is committed, Sherlock finds himself suddenly pulled into the case and must find the real murderer before he himself is found guilty of having had a part in the crime.

I love Sherlock Holmes, so I was excited to read this auth
Haley Judi
May 27, 2015 Haley Judi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how well this book was written. I think mysteries would be really hard to write with all the clues and different steps.
Ryan G
Mar 28, 2011 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
I've had this one sitting around since late last year and I'm now wishing I had picked it up sooner. This was a fascinating look into the childhood of one of literature's favorite characters. Now granted, this may not be the childhood Sir Arthur Conan Doyle envisioned for Sherlock Holmes, but it worked for me.

This was the story of a lonely, introverted young man who would rather be in a town square observing others than in the school he didn't feel comfortable in. He is highly intelligent but do
Sarah Sammis
I'm not entirely sure when my obsession with Sherlock Holmes began. The Basil Rathbone movies probably came first. The books I started reading in eighth grade. I was on a school field trip and I read through a collection of the short stories on the bus ride there and back. By the end of college my mother introduced me to a new take on Sherlock by Laurie R. King, The Beekeeper's Apprentice which has grown to a twelve book series.

This summer while waiting for book twelve, The Pirate King (review c
Samina
Jan 08, 2015 Samina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a interesting read. I always love mystery novels and this one didn't disappoint despite the fact that its geared towards childern. I needed to read this novel to help my nephew with his novel study assignment and as it was a quick read I decided to give it the go. If it wasn't for this, I probably would have never read this book.

Holmes character was well-defined and had the motives to pursue the case further. He either had to or would not be able to continue with his life, even if it isn'
Corrina
Sep 11, 2014 Corrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

It’s definitely written as a modern mystery, even though it’s set in the Victorian era. It doesn’t have the distinct tone of the Conan Doyle stories, even though it does well with the historical details. That said, it works well for this story, being written for children–the more modern, familiar tone makes it a fast and easy read.

Fans of the original Sherlock Holmes will see elements of the great detective scattered through the book, in so
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL CALL #: J PEACOCK

Young misfit, Sherlock Holmes, frequently skips school to wander the streets, observing those around him and reading about local crimes. Holmes become infatuated with the murder of an actress and can’t keep away, despite the fact that he promised his parents he would reform and go back to school. Unfortunately the boy’s activity at the murder scene is observed and he finds himself implicated in assisting with the act. He manages to break out of jail (with some aid) and begi
Andrea Ika
Apr 25, 2014 Andrea Ika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Boy Sherlock Holmes: Book 1
Eye of the Crow
by Shane Peacock (Author)
Page Count: 264
Awards
Arthur Ellis Award (2008: Juvenile Crime Fiction)
IODE Book Award

Blurb
Michael Tan
Dec 22, 2014 Michael Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, an interesting view of the origin story of Sherlock Holmes. The story at least seemed historically accurate; it didn't detract from the story. It was suspenseful despite the fact that the ending was already given. The main character, Holmes, showed a lot of character development and was likable. Overall, the story gave me a lot to chew on about. I will definitely check the rest of the series and I would recommend this book if you liked Artemis Fowl or books like that.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Peacock, Shane. Eye of the Crow. Toronto: Tundra, 2007. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read

Eye of the Crow is the first volume in a series about the boy Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock is a misfit, he has no friends until something horrible happens. A woman is murdered in the middle of the night. The police think they have a suspect, but Sherlock Holmes believes he is innocent. Sherlock decides he must solve the case and restore justice. He does not want to see an innocent man hang fo
Zoe
Feb 18, 2014 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, sherlock
I really wanted to like this, because there is a gap in the Sherlock series about his childhood that I think could be filled, but frankly, this wasn't it.

While the mystery had it's moments, the character of Sherlock seemed to be inconsistent with Conan Doyle's adult creation. Hot-headed, emotional, and at times, careless, this book was more about the making of an emotionally distant man than the emotionally unavailable great intelligence. The character arc seemed incomplete, and we are given no
Parker
Oct 31, 2014 Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Summary:

The book Eye Of The Crow takes place in London, in 1867. The protagonist is Sherlock holmes and the Antagonist is the unknown murderer of a women. In the middle of the night a woman is murdered on a cobblestone path. These crows were watching the whole thing. The the crows give little clues, which help Sherlock find out what happened that night. The theme of the book would be justice because Sherlock puts lots of work in to find the murderer and by doing this also serving justice.

D
Renee
Dec 08, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th-8th
Shelves: ya-mystery
Taste the London grit of poverty & murder as you follow the impoverished, brilliant 13-year-old Sherlock Holmes. When a highborn lady is murdered, Holmes becomes entangled in the mystery and must solve it himself or risk dire consequences. But the killer will stop at nothing, including hurting Holmes’ loved ones, to stop Holmes from solving the crime.
Patty
Oct 13, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had low expectations for this book since my husband had said it was only OK, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's from the Juvenile section of our library, and the mystery is somewhat simplistic but entertaining. Not quite up to the level of the Young Sherlock Holmes movie but worth a read nonetheless.
Sandy
Mar 10, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Provides background to Sherlock Holmes life as a young boy offering scenarios and situations that would explain Holmes' personality traits and skills. Great plot and setting. Give this to an older 5 grader and up as a mystery or as a historical fiction hook.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very different, much weaker, much angrier, much more insecure Sherlock Holmes than I'm used to. But then, everyone is at thirteen, and Sherlock is no exception. Shane Peacock deftly builds a realistic childhood for a well-known character, tracing the threads backwards from hints in Conan Doyle's stories so that each piece, even the uncomfortable ones, seem to click into place. This is a book for older children or young adults, so the mystery is not overly complex (though surprisingly d ...more
Dipesh
Oct 30, 2014 Dipesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The setting is in London England.The main character was a kid named Sherlock Holmes .He is a detective.He interested into crime, He always reads the police newspaper.The theme was crime and murder.The plot is how a kid made a big difference in a life death situation.
This book made me wonder about how a kid is smart enough to solve a murder.He went to the scene to investigate.He got caught twice.He went to jail for be suspected twice at the scene.He was smart enough to know the guy that was su
Jodysegal
I join the legions of fans of this new series. Peacock brings to life the grit, gore and bigotry of Victorian England and he creates an entirely believable young Sherlock Holmes. Read this to find out his origins.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
I only picked this up as an "I'm-a-librarian-and-I-need-some-more-boy-mystery-recommendations" read, but I really enjoyed it. It believably lays the groundwork for the man that Sherlock becomes.
Thirteen-year-old Sherlock Holmes spends his days observing the bustle of Victorian London and playing hooky. His desire to escape the grinding poverty and daily prejudice that is his lot as the half-Jewish offspring of a forbidden marriage is understandable, but it gets him into a tremendous amount of trouble when his abundant curiosity draws him so deeply into a murder investigation that he becomes a suspect. With the help of a feisty young lady named Irene and a budding criminal mastermind, S ...more
Meher Pahuja
It has been a long time since I read a crime novel. Sherlock Holmes as a boy amazes me. He is able to make such clever connections between facts, and the connections add up. At times whilst reading, I had to re-read a few pages to understand how that wonderful brain of his was able to wrap around such little information, and produce a whole story out of it.

I read this book for english, and thought it was slightly more difficult than the other books I have read, in terms of taking notes. I felt
Anne
Dec 15, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, mystery, 2008
Great story about how it all started for Sherlock Holmes - at the age of 13 when he is accused of conspiracy in a murder.
Melanie
Young Sherlock Holmes is only 13-years-old when he solves his first crime. And it's a doozy!

Holmes' family is poor and struggling. Even though they scrounge enough money to send Holmes to school, he won't go. He prefers roaming the streets and doing what he wants. Which is how he learns of the murder of a well-dressed lady in the back alley of a bad neighborhood. Holmes becomes even more curious when a young Arab man is arrested and imprisoned for the crime.

The police are convinced that the Arab
Thania Ruiz
Jan 31, 2015 Thania Ruiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
The entire book absorbs the reader by starting off with a mystery that must be solved, but unlike other Sherlock Holmes stories, this one is centered around children. How? Simple, the Holmes is 13 solving his very first case.
For all the mystery lovers out there, yes even the young ones, this book will grab you by the eye balls. The scenery pops out from the pages and starts flowing through your mind like a movie. Simple language is used, making it easy for a 3rd grader to be able to read aloud,
Valerie
This is the first in a series about a 13-year-old Sherlock Holmes. It's a good detective story where you basically start with no clues and little by little the pieces start to fall together. This one is a loose take on the Jack the Ripper crimes in Whitechapel in the late 1800s. We get a vague sense of life in the underbelly as he cohorts with street urchins and travels around to the less desirable areas of London, but I didn't get a sense of the Sherlock he would become in the Doyle books. From ...more
Naailah Patel
Aug 03, 2015 Naailah Patel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review to come
Baker Street Irre...: "Eye of the Crow" by Shane Peacock 2 10 Jan 19, 2015 08:43PM
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • First Shot
  • The Crazy Man
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
  • Neil Flambé and the Aztec Abduction (The Neil Flambé Capers #2)
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • The Case of the Baker Street Irregular
  • Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
Shane Peacock was born in 1957 in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one of four brothers. He attended school in the northern town of Kapuskasing, before attending university, where he studied history and English literature. A biographer, journalist, and screenwriter, he is also the author of six novels and three plays, and has been nominated for numerous awards including several National Magazine Awards and t ...more
More about Shane Peacock...

The Boy Sherlock Holmes (6 books)
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Vanishing Girl (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Secret Fiend (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Dragon Turn (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)