Start by marking “Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case” as Want to Read:
Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case

Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His 1st Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,516 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
Sherlock Holmes, just thirteen, is a misfit. His highborn mother is the daughter of an aristocratic family, his father a poor Jew. Their marriage flouts tradition and makes them social pariahs in the London of the 1860s; and their son, Sherlock, bears the burden of their rebellion. Friendless, bullied at school, he belongs nowhere and has only his wits to help him make his ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Tundra Books (first published August 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Crow, please sign up.

Sevdragon yes
it is full of suspense toward the end
and it has a surprise ending

Ken
Jan 19, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never given much thought to Sherlock Holmes as a boy or spent any time pondering what Holmes must have been like as a teenager. Reading "Eye of the Crow" though kind of forces the issue.

I think the origins of Holmes that Peacock chooses are a much darker and more depressing view than I would have had. That certainly does not make Peacock's ideas wrong, just a different interpretation than I probably would have made.

The story IS dark. It shows a bleak childhood for the boy who would become
Bito Dang
Apr 17, 2012 Bito Dang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-uk, adventure, teenager
Đây là cuốn sách đầu tiên sau khoảng 10 năm mình chưa đọc một cuốn trinh thám nào tuy từ nhỏ cuốn nào mình đọc mình cũng đều thấy thích, nhưng lại ngại mua. Tự dưng năm nay nổi hứng muốn thay đổi chút thể loại và làm 2 em trong Series này.
Một cuốn sách tuyệt vời vì mình hoàn toàn 'enjoy' nó.
Sherlock Holmes thì nổi tiếng quá rồi, nhưng thực ra chưa cầm cuốn sách nào của Conan Doyla cả. Nhưng đọc xong cuốn này chắc phải có kế hoạch làm một bộ thôi.
Theo ý kiến cá nhân của một người ít đọc truyện tr
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2 1/2

Fresh on the heels of the Enola Holmes series, I was on something of a kick - so when I came across the notion of a story showing us a boy Sherlock Holmes and how he came to be who he was, I was certainly intrigued.

Unfortunately, I had some major issues with the story.

Now, there were parts of it which were interesting and Peacock seems to have given some serious thought to a background story which could possibly lead the adult Holmes to be how he was.

On the other hand, it read like many a u
earthy
Aug 18, 2009 earthy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical, ya
Dark, somewhat plodding origin mystery for Sherlock Holmes. Introduces several familiar characters and Sherlockian elements. While it's fun to see imaginings about Holmes' past, the mystery itself isn't particularly interesting or original, and it's a bit disturbing that all the truly horrible things in the book happen to women. Probably only worth a read if you're a pretty dedicated Holmes fan. First in a series.
Haley Judi
May 27, 2015 Haley Judi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how well this book was written. I think mysteries would be really hard to write with all the clues and different steps.
 Marla
4.5 stars. Lively, edge-of-your seat story about the young 13 year old Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock hasn't perfected his stoic demeanor and purely analytical deliberations, he is still impulsive and makes a few mistakes. It is frustrating but endearing and very exciting.

Likes:
* A young Sherlock Holmes
* Sherlock's loving parents
* Sherlock's mother giving up her family and their wealth to marry her Jewish love
(view spoiler)
Treasa
Thirteen-year-old Sherlock Holmes is living a hard life with his poverty-stricken parents in London. Tired of being mocked at school, Sherlock stops attending and instead spends his days on the streets of the city, observing everyone and everything around him. When a murder is committed, Sherlock finds himself suddenly pulled into the case and must find the real murderer before he himself is found guilty of having had a part in the crime.

I love Sherlock Holmes, so I was excited to read this auth
Michael Tan
Dec 22, 2014 Michael Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, an interesting view of the origin story of Sherlock Holmes. The story at least seemed historically accurate; it didn't detract from the story. It was suspenseful despite the fact that the ending was already given. The main character, Holmes, showed a lot of character development and was likable. Overall, the story gave me a lot to chew on about. I will definitely check the rest of the series and I would recommend this book if you liked Artemis Fowl or books like that.
Renee
Dec 08, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th-8th
Shelves: ya-mystery
Taste the London grit of poverty & murder as you follow the impoverished, brilliant 13-year-old Sherlock Holmes. When a highborn lady is murdered, Holmes becomes entangled in the mystery and must solve it himself or risk dire consequences. But the killer will stop at nothing, including hurting Holmes’ loved ones, to stop Holmes from solving the crime.
Patty
Oct 13, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had low expectations for this book since my husband had said it was only OK, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's from the Juvenile section of our library, and the mystery is somewhat simplistic but entertaining. Not quite up to the level of the Young Sherlock Holmes movie but worth a read nonetheless.
Sandy
Mar 10, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Provides background to Sherlock Holmes life as a young boy offering scenarios and situations that would explain Holmes' personality traits and skills. Great plot and setting. Give this to an older 5 grader and up as a mystery or as a historical fiction hook.
Jodysegal
I join the legions of fans of this new series. Peacock brings to life the grit, gore and bigotry of Victorian England and he creates an entirely believable young Sherlock Holmes. Read this to find out his origins.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
I only picked this up as an "I'm-a-librarian-and-I-need-some-more-boy-mystery-recommendations" read, but I really enjoyed it. It believably lays the groundwork for the man that Sherlock becomes.
Anne
Dec 15, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, mystery, 2008
Great story about how it all started for Sherlock Holmes - at the age of 13 when he is accused of conspiracy in a murder.
Naailah Patel
Aug 03, 2015 Naailah Patel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review to come
Samina
Jan 08, 2015 Samina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a interesting read. I always love mystery novels and this one didn't disappoint despite the fact that its geared towards childern. I needed to read this novel to help my nephew with his novel study assignment and as it was a quick read I decided to give it the go. If it wasn't for this, I probably would have never read this book.

Holmes character was well-defined and had the motives to pursue the case further. He either had to or would not be able to continue with his life, even if it isn'
Corrina
Sep 11, 2014 Corrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

It’s definitely written as a modern mystery, even though it’s set in the Victorian era. It doesn’t have the distinct tone of the Conan Doyle stories, even though it does well with the historical details. That said, it works well for this story, being written for children–the more modern, familiar tone makes it a fast and easy read.

Fans of the original Sherlock Holmes will see elements of the great detective scattered through the book, in so
Andrea Ika
Apr 25, 2014 Andrea Ika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Boy Sherlock Holmes: Book 1
Eye of the Crow
by Shane Peacock (Author)
Page Count: 264
Awards
Arthur Ellis Award (2008: Juvenile Crime Fiction)
IODE Book Award

Blurb
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Peacock, Shane. Eye of the Crow. Toronto: Tundra, 2007. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read

Eye of the Crow is the first volume in a series about the boy Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock is a misfit, he has no friends until something horrible happens. A woman is murdered in the middle of the night. The police think they have a suspect, but Sherlock Holmes believes he is innocent. Sherlock decides he must solve the case and restore justice. He does not want to see an innocent man hang fo
Alvina
Mar 21, 2012 Alvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya

Anda pasti sering mendengar kisah Sherlock Holmes, tapi pernahkah Anda penasaran seperti apa kehidupan Sherlock di masa kecilnya? Jika hal itu pernah terlintas di pikiran Anda, maka buku ini berisi jawabannya.

Sherlock Holmes adalah anak kedua dari tiga bersaudara, dengan orangtua mereka bernama Wilber dan Rose Holmes. Rose sebenarnya adalah seorang Bangsawan Inggris dengan sedikit campuran Prancis, sedangkan Wilber adalah seorang lelaki genius yang sangat menyukai ilmu tentang burung. Dua sejoli
Truly
Nov 12, 2011 Truly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Selesai membaca buku ini, tanpa sengaja saya menghubungkan beberapa hal dengan buku-buku seputar Sherlock yang lain. Beberapa hal terlihat sangat jelas benang merahnya. Sekedar dugaan saya, sosok musuh bebuyutannya Malefactor mungkin berkembang menjadi Profesor M musuh bebuyutannya saat dewasa. Lalu sosok Irene yang digambarkan menjadi sahabatnya rupanya memberikan kesan yang mendalam dalam diri Sherlock. Dimasa mendatang s
Hadi Wijaya
Feb 02, 2012 Hadi Wijaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If compare it with Colossal Detective Stories (Agatha Christie's Novel) or Japanese Detective Comic, it is still far under them. Although it's a Legendary Sherlock Holmes story but yet it not too much bring sensation. Probably it's targeted for teenager read.

Here are my comments:

1. There is too much detail like the author is a painter. It's actually good if the described scene is useful for the analysis but they aren't. The book is very thick because of that. That's why I skimming several parts
Ryan G
Mar 28, 2011 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
I've had this one sitting around since late last year and I'm now wishing I had picked it up sooner. This was a fascinating look into the childhood of one of literature's favorite characters. Now granted, this may not be the childhood Sir Arthur Conan Doyle envisioned for Sherlock Holmes, but it worked for me.

This was the story of a lonely, introverted young man who would rather be in a town square observing others than in the school he didn't feel comfortable in. He is highly intelligent but do
Erik Mataloro
May 05, 2012 Erik Mataloro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes!

Siapa yang tak kenal dengan tokoh detektif yang satu ini? Kiprahnya di dunia sastra dan mendobrak kesusastraan Inggris ini menjadi bacaan yang menarik untuk disimak dari generasi ke generasi dan takkan lekang oleh waktu. Tokoh yang diciptakan Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ini telah berhasil merebut hati para pecinta buku di seluruh belahan bumi. Sekalipun aksi klasiknya perlahan tergantikan oleh karya-karya yang lain, namun eksistensinya tetap terasa di pikiran semua penggemarnya.

Namun,
Ally Tiner
Dec 31, 2012 Ally Tiner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Watson had never knew about Sherlock Holmes' childhood, he thought he was an orphan. Shane Peacock has created a book that looks at Sherlock's past.
Sherlock lives in an apartment with his mother and father, Rose and Wilber Holmes in London. Sherlock likes to wander the streets, he reads the Police
News or anything related, not wanting to go to school. When one day, a young lady was murdered, Sherlock goes to the murder site, he puts himself, his family,
and his new friend, Irene in danger. As
Kate Murray
Jun 07, 2013 Kate Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was probably my favorite Sherlock Holmes book. Lately I have been very keen on anything Sherlockian (I won't lie, this was inspired partly by a lack of Sherlock season three)and this book as I found it in the library seemed like a very good one to get some history of Sherlock Holmes, before Watson came into play. Since the original Sherlock Holmes adventures were narrated by Watson, however, Peacock deigned to narrate this in third person.
It was a bit strange at first, to see this thirteen
Jeremy
Dec 11, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Warning* *Spoiler Alert*
Sherlock Holmes is a thirteen year old boy in London of 1867 in the book The Eye of the Crow by Shane Peacock. His father, a poor Jew with exceptional observation skills. His mother is highborn in a Noble family. After marrying a Jewish man her family disowned her. Their marriage makes them social outcasts and their son a reject too. Their family is poor. Sherlock is bullied and pestered at school, and friendless. He feels like a worthless nobody, but soon he will be in
Christina
Dec 31, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent mystery and a great introduction to the character of Sherlock Holmes as a teenager. It is a completely different imagining of Sherlock's youth from the Andrew Lane Young Sherlock Holmes series (Death Cloud, darker and I think truer to the character. This 13 year old Sherlock lives in a poor section of London with his opera-loving mother and his Jewish scientist father; he often skips school to hang out in the city, where he hones the observational skills he learned from his ...more
Melissa
Oct 22, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is just thirteen when this, his first case, takes him down a path that makes him into a legendary detective. Older fans of the adult Sherlock Holmes may enjoy this series as Shane Peacock has skillfully provided an accurate back story that rings true with many fans of the man Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Young readers will be fascinated with the boy Sherlock Holmes and his uncanny observations, powers of deduction, and his sense of justice.
This dark and brooding story takes place in Lond
Sarah Sammis
I'm not entirely sure when my obsession with Sherlock Holmes began. The Basil Rathbone movies probably came first. The books I started reading in eighth grade. I was on a school field trip and I read through a collection of the short stories on the bus ride there and back. By the end of college my mother introduced me to a new take on Sherlock by Laurie R. King, The Beekeeper's Apprentice which has grown to a twelve book series.

This summer while waiting for book twelve, The Pirate King (review c
Baker Street Irre...: "Eye of the Crow" by Shane Peacock 2 10 Jan 19, 2015 08:43PM
  • Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • The Crazy Man
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • First Shot
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
  • The Case of the Baker Street Irregular
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Neil Flambé and the Aztec Abduction (The Neil Flambé Capers #2)
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Into the Dark (Echo Falls, #3)
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency #1)
Shane Peacock was born in 1957 in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one of four brothers. He attended school in the northern town of Kapuskasing, before attending university, where he studied history and English literature. A biographer, journalist, and screenwriter, he is also the author of six novels and three plays, and has been nominated for numerous awards including several National Magazine Awards and t ...more
More about Shane Peacock...

The Boy Sherlock Holmes (6 books)
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Vanishing Girl (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Secret Fiend (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Dragon Turn (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)