Start by marking “The Dark Hand of Magic” as Want to Read:
The Dark Hand of Magic

The Dark Hand of Magic (Sun Wolf and Starhawk #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,023 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The mercenary Sun Wolf must use his immature magical powers to rescue his old army from an evil wizard’s curse

For years, Sun Wolf and his gang of cutthroats were the most feared mercenaries in the land. When Sun Wolf learned he could work magic, he and his lieutenant—the fearsome Amazon Starhawk—left the gang behind so that he could learn to harness his new powers, and h
Published March 29th 2011 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Hand of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Hand of Magic

Mary JL
Jul 26, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of magic or fantasy
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
In Book I of this trilogy, The Ladies of Mandrigyn, it starts out with the action "over"-the mercenary troup is celebrating a victory. In Book 2 of this trilogy, The Witches of Wenshar, it begins with an argument between Sun Wolf and a witch.

So Barbara Hambly starts the concluding book of this trilogy with a bang--Sun Wolf gets shot in the back with an arrow on page one. And we are off into Hambly's usual skilled blend of adventure and characterization. There are lots of battles and escapes and
Jamie
This final book of the trilogy is my favorite, perhaps because it’s the first one where the relationship between Sun Wolf and Starhawk felt real. I was moved by the scene where Sun Wolf turns down a tryst with a beautiful woman - for the first time ever - because he knows that it will break what he has with Starhawk.

Plotwise: Sun Wolf’s old mercenary band comes to him for help because they’ve been cursed by a wizard. Although he’s not sure that his sympathies don’t lie with the town they’re tryi
Melissa Crandall
One of my all-time-favorite books. I love this series and am heartily sorry that it seems to have fallen by the wayside.
Jonathan
Oh Barbara, you start series so well and then as time goes by you abuse your characters.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
My enjoyment of this trilogy peaked with the first book, The Ladies of Mandrigyn, which is fantastic. And, sadly, decreased from there. This book follows the further adventures of Sun Wolf and Starhawk, now reunited with their mercenary band, which is threatened by a mysterious magical force bent on causing every kind of catastrophe imaginable.

One of the nice things about this trilogy is that each book has a self-contained plot arc, but they also build on one another. Given all the changes in ou
Kelley Ceccato
Doris
The main issue I had with this story is that the Wolf, supposedly a strong, fearless leader, is reduced to whiny tears when he is overcome by magic. Having been raised on stories of Conan the Barbarian, I could not help but compare the Wolf to Conan, to the detriment of Wolf. I understand that Hambly is attempting to portray a strong woman in a powerful role with the Hawk, but it became a bit much when the Hawk internalizes a dialogue about having to save the Wolf – again, and having to save the ...more
Scott
For a third book this one is very strong. In this one we get to see how Sun Wolf interacts with his old troop. My one disappointment with reading this book was the fact that this series was not continued. The world in which the characters dwell in was very fascinating, sort of a fantasy inspired version of the middle ages. Maybe someday Barbara Hambly will decide to write another Sun Wolf and Starhawk story.
Judy
Matt Fimbulwinter
I know I had read this before, but I had managed to forget most of it, which is odd for me. So I had a vague sense where the plot went, but couldn't remember who the ultimate villain was, or how it ended.
Rose
A great finish to the series, but also my least favorite of the group because of how intense and dark it is. The plot has completely disappeared, the characters are not as interesting, and there's far less discovery in it. Still a must-read, though!
Danny
Some really nice plot twists that made this story both surprising and enjoyable. Spent the whole time thinking we were gonna end up with our first serious female villain (even if I just thought she might have been a proxy)! I truly loved some of the aspects of the development of Sun Wolf as a character in this book. But seriously some things never change, Sun Wolf why you always gotta end up sneaking away at the end, no happy ever after for this guy ......
Lian Tanner
Love the trilogy, and particularly love this last book. Hambly puts her characters through such hard trials as they change from mercenaries to something greater. I kept thinking the book was ending - and then it took off in another unexpected direction. Wonderful reading!
h
a bit overdone, but there are some nice moments in this.
Thomas
Not too bad, book one was the best though.
Arlene Allen
I always wished this series had been longer.
Mark L
Any chance of book four?
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Rbell
Rbell added it
Jul 26, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • Strange Toys
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • Sunshaker's War (David Sullivan, #4)
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Deathkiller (Omnibus contains MINDKILLER and TIME PRESSURE)
  • Ars Magica
  • Caverns of Socrates
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • Six of Swords
  • Caliban's Hour
  • A Dirge for Sabis (The Sword of Knowledge, #1)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Sun Wolf and Starhawk (3 books)
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • The Witches of Wenshar (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #2)
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)