Start by marking “The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This stunning illustrated guide to more than 2,000 signs and symbols covers the arts, religions, and folklore of cultures across the world. Cross-referenced, color-coded, and indexed.
Published September 1st 1996 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

Ines
This is a very visual book presenting the information through many beautiful illustrations, with annotations to help decode the meaning of the larger & more detailed pieces. It certainly is an inspirational work & were I able to devote more time to research, I would probably buy it to dip into.

The book is divided up into sections beginning with the Cosmos, which covers the visible planets & their satellites, natural phenomena like weather & the seasons plus a few on gold & pr
Judith Graves
Handy resource for paranormal writers with beautiful illustrations. Also got a kick out of the cricket umpire's symbols section - 'cause you never know.
Sumayyah
A good edition to any library.
Alouise Dittrick
I got this book from my grandparents when I was a kid, and I love it. It contains information about signs and symbols from around the world, and is organized into several categories. 1. Mythologies and religions. 2. Nature. 3. People. and 4. SymbolSystems. The book isn't very in depth, so if you're looking for a resource for a college paper, or if you want to really get in depth then this probably isn't for you. It does photos and a short description of thousands of different signs and symbols. ...more
Marlas
Back when I was thinking about a fantasy story of mine, I went and got this book because the story involves many things that have to do with profound meaning behind names and things.
I love how this book covers many different ideas, explaining nature, religion, magic, the sun and moon, etc. And showing what these things mean in other cultures, what they are in legends, mythology and history.
I love the illustration and the format, these things making it a fun, easy and engaging read if you want t
Aurore
I was a bit disappointed with this one. The pictures in it are great, but it greatly lacks depth.
A nice read-through in a library, but not necessary for a book collection.
Connie
This one is probably more of the type that is interesting to browse-- not quite a coffee table book, but not something that is riveting, plot or character driven and that you need to read cover to cover. Sort of between coffee table and reference book. I liked it. It's the kind of book where you read along and then find yourself saying "Wow. I didn't know that."- Lots of trivia for those of you out there who like that.
Can
Mar 03, 2008 Can rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Can by: I read it after my mother bought it over a decade ago.
This book was one of the main things that led me on a spiritual quest, the seeds of which had been planted in my early childhood. I was around 8 years of age when this book first crossed my path, and its well worn from repeated use. If you can find a copy, you can learn a lot about many things the world over. Its still one of my primary sources for a quick synopsis on many signs and symbols.
Bibliophile 14
أعجبني الإخراج الجميل من ناحية الصور والرسوم
لكن كان عيبه الإيجاز و عدم التعمق في الطرح
يكتفي بعدة كلمات عن الرمز
كما انه ليس شاملا حيث افتقر لذكر رموز و علامات كثيرة

الجميل ان القارئ يستطيع ان يعرف الاسم الخاص بالرمز أو العلامة وما أكثر الرموز والعلامات التي تمر علينا كل يوم حتى حفظنا رسمها لكن دون أن نعرف اسمها!! و ما عليه بعدها إلا "الجوجلة" ليتمكن من التوسع
Mateusz
Bogato ilustrowany i rzetelnie przygotowany przewodnik po znakach oraz symbolach obecnych w sztuce, religii a także w życiu codziennym. Historia symboli przedstwiona przejrzyście w sposób prosty i zrozumiały, natomiast doskonała szata graficzna rewelacyjnie dopełnia merytoryczną treść przewodnika. Uczta dla oka i niejednokrotnie zaskoczenie dla duszy!
Paperclippe
This is very good as an absolute beginner's guide to the symbolism and signage of cultures, but as any sort of authoritative book, even a brief one, this is just sad. It leaves out very many important facts and correlations and in certain places borders on the downright wrong. It's good for a quick glance and really nothing more.
John Lee
This book is an awesome, one-of-a-kind reference. It shows you the symbolic value different societies (modern and historic) apply to different things. It's illustrated throughout. Flip to any page and you learn something surprising. Great book. And it's surprisingly affordable.
Karlie Nyte
I think that this book is a great resource. If you simply need to check on something, you can run to this book for the bottom line, so to speak. If you are a newbie to this type of information, this is a great book to start with.
Jim S
Lo he utilizado como libro de consulta en una de las materias que imparto en la licenciatura en diseño gráfico.

Básico para cualquier estudiante de diseño, comunicación, publicidad y similares.

Elise
Decent reference guide to many different signs and symbols around the world. My favorite sections were the last three: Myths & Religions, Society & Culture, and Symbol Systems.
Abdul Aziz  Fouad khuraibet
حقا كتاب جدير بالاهتمام يحتوي على جميع العلامات والرموز و الاحاءات التي تبين المعنى والمغزى لها باللوان والصور المعبرة من حيث الجانب التاريخي والفني واللغوي
Denise
With beautiful imagry and interesting antecdotes, Ms. Wilkinson has compiled a smallish collection of the most popular of iconic images from around the world.
Georgene Pijut
A fairly comprehensive book. If they revised the descriptions for greater accuracy and less generality, it would jump up to 5 stars for me.
Ashes Glenn
A pretty neat book with lots of information about different symbols from all across the world. I enjoyed this quick read.
Molly
Anyone who loves facts for references or just because you're interested in a slew of great facts should get this book.
Linda
I liked this book lots.
It's a great reference book about all sorts of things regarding signs and symbols.
Janitag
Beautiful illustrations and a wide range of information about different symbols and their origins.
Alphaomega
Book of various signs and symbols..
Great source for finding mythical things...
Amy
Knowledge was dropped! Dave did not read this book. It was me.
Mac
I use this book all the time. It's handy to have for basic info.
Nancy
so not what I thought it would be -pretty lame.
Ash
A good compendium of various symbols.
julia
research for some art
Glenn Steinke
Glenn Steinke marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Djamel
Djamel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor
  • Battle
  • The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Secrets of Angels & Demons
  • The Complete Dictionary of Symbols
  • Badass: The Birth of a Legend: Spine-Crushing Tales of the Most Merciless Gods, Monsters, Heroes, Villains, and Mythical Creatures Ever Envisioned
  • Mythology
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • Signs, Symbols & Omens: An Illustrated Guide to Magical & Spiritual Symbolism
  • Math and the Mona Lisa: The Art and Science of Leonardo da Vinci
  • 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
  • Encyclopedia of Urban Legends
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • A History of Histories: Epics, Chronicles, Romances and Inquiries from Herodotus and Thucydides to the Twentieth Century
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World