Start by marking “The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps” as Want to Read:
The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps

The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The definitive resource for making vegetable-based soaps from scratch, from buying supplies to cutting the final bars.
Published June 30th 1995 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Natural Soap Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Natural Soap Book

Virginia
Before I started making soap, I read this book cover to cover and then went back and re-read several sections. I still use it as a reference, though some of Cavitch's maxims I have found to not apply. But perhaps it depends on what recipe you're using?
Mo Tipton
This book is an excellent introduction to cold process soapmaking, with easy-to-understand descriptions of the various oils and fats, essential plant oils, and natural dyes that can be used to make soap. Cavitch also presents her reasoning for avoiding animal byproducts, synthetic fragrances and colorings, and vegetable products produced with massive amounts of pesticides, all without proselytizing. The instructions are detailed and clear, and the accompanying illustrations are fantastic.

Richard Cummings
Very useful and friendly book. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that all procedural instruction were repeated verbatum with each recipe. Kind of tedious, but maybe a safety consideration. Still, the book would give most anyone the confidence to try making healthy, high-quality, vegetable-based soapmaking at home. There is a "sequel" to this book entitled The Soapmakers Companion which I am reading now. More techniques and recipes for the folks who just want more.
Angela
I am trying to get away from using Chemicals on my skin. I've been making my own facial skin care for a while now and started thinking about the soap that I shower with. So I am embarking on a new hobby of making my own soap. This book was very informative for the novice soap maker. It puts everything at you fingertips and answered all of my questions. It even give you several recipes to get started with and the knowledge to created your own recipes.
Amanda
A very readable how-to book. Full detailed instructions on making soap at home using lye, vegetable oils and other natural ingredients. Good descriptions, scientific explanations, troubleshooting, etc. plus a philosophy I agree with.

I haven't attempted to make soap yet and I'm not sure that I will, but if I try it, I'll follow the instructions in The Natural Soap Book.
Susan
Good, thorough descriptions of soap making ingredients. Cavitch discusses why various types of ingredients are better than others, why certain equipment materials are better than others, etc. She is also not shy about giving her personal opinions. Includes brief stories of several soapmakers and how they got their starts.
Gayle
Made it all seem very complicated. Have seen easier methods. However, I found it interesting and one day I actually will make soap!
Amy
I read just bits and pieces of this...good book and full of detail. Something to pick up later when I am serious about soap making.
Jennifer Marie
This is an older book and a fair amount of stuff has changed but there are some really good basics in here and good information.
Naomi Moore
This is an interesting resource. There is a heavy bias towards natural products and a lot of the information still good.
Marty
Read this one several years ago. First batch of soap was perfect. Just read it again for tips for the next batch.
Angela Joyce
This makes soap making seem quite achievable.
Janette Boren
another great book for making soap.
Katie
All about soap making.
Shiloh
Shiloh marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jeana Small
Jeana Small marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Gwendolyn Ellingson
Gwendolyn Ellingson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Lola Cormier
Lola Cormier marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health - Beauty - a Safe Home Environment
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The New Complete Book Of Self Sufficiency
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being.
The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How