Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day

The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day (The Berenstain Bears)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  10,225 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
This is the story of the Bear family's move to their now-famous tree house in Bear Country. Would Brother Bear like it? Would he find new friends? He wasn't sure until he got there.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published February 2nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

Rob
Oct 11, 2008 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
THE POINT: To teach kids that moving from one town to another is OK an that it happens all the time and that there's nothing to be afraid of etc. (It's a little dated in that respect though inasmuch as I've never seen neighborhood families come out of the woodwork to greet someone that just moved in down the block. Or maybe that just more "naïvely quaint" than it is "dated".) As far as children's stories go though, I'm sure this is one that gets the job done.

THE UNFORTUNATE SUB-TEXT: They're mov
Erik
Mar 20, 2017 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-children
There isn't much of a story involved, but it's a fun way to teach kids that moving to a new town isn't that bad. They'll get more out of it if they're already familiar with the Bear family.
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

About the Author

Stan and Jan Berenstain were both born in 1923 in Philadelphia.  They didn't know each other as children, but met later at school, at the Philadelphia College of Art.  They liked each other right away, and found out that the both enjoyed the same kinds of books, plays, music and art.  During World

Dusty
Nov 13, 2016 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-jayden
This is a genial story about the Bear family's move from a damp cave in the woods to the iconic treehouse at the end of the sunny dirt road that reads briskly and acknowledges the worries that cross any kids' mind when s/he moves to a new home. The book appeared in 1981, about the same time that the Bears' "First Time Books" were hitting their creative peak. It isn't as memorable as, say, The Messy Room, but my real beef is that it introduces a contradiction in the overarching Berenstain "univer ...more
Carissa Mann
Sep 07, 2015 Carissa Mann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
This was my favorite book I picked this week for a couple of reasons. First of all, I loved The Berenstain Bears when I was little so I loved reading their books again. Secondly, I loved the message in the book. The book described the family moving, and how sad brother bear was. However, in the end moving was the better option and it ended up being okay. I could relate to this because I had to move from Missouri to Colorado and I was very sad. In the end, it was the best decision and I have had ...more
Chester Richmond
Moving day tells the story that many of your students will be able to relate to and that is when a family is uprooted and moves to a new community. There can be some anxiety associated with moving and worrying about how new people will receive you. In the end of the book it is realized that everything works out and the family is quite comfortable in their new treehouse.

In a classroom this book could be read if a new student moves to your town and is placed in your classroom. It could help the st
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

Growing up we did a lot of moving from apartment to apartment, and in college I was used to moving every year. I liked seeing some situations relate to what
Emma Wilde
Dec 11, 2014 Emma Wilde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng261
My mother read this book to my brother and I as we were about to move from Nebraska to Illinois. These books can be very helpful for children to relate to all the different situations that are going on in their lives. Another good thing is that there are so many of these books, that if you have a child that really likes them they can continue to read them for a long time. These books were some of my favorite growing up, and I remember wanting to read as many as I could get my hands on. These are ...more
Amber
I read this and other Berenstain books repeatedly as a child. I enjoyed them then. I'm not putting stars on these partly b/c I feel I'd need to look at them again to see what I'd rate them now, and I don't have them available (which in itself tells you they aren't big favorites I guess). In adulthood, I still like some things about these books, other things not so much. One of the bigger things I don't care for is that they often seem to make Papa Bear out to be rather foolish, while Mama is usu ...more
Shelli
Jul 05, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Moving day can be an exciting and scary day for a young cub and a young child. This would be a wonderful book to share with a child before they move themselves. It does well explaining how things will be the same in one way, their items will all be going with them. And how it will be different in others, they won't be right next to the same friends and neighbors. After reading about this moving adventure the Berenstain Bear's have it might encourage children to become excited about their own new ...more
Andrea
Feb 10, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex-books
I didn't know the Berenstain bears used to live in a cave!

I was given this book by a moving company who provided me with a quote for my move. They have copies to give to families who have young children. Cute right?

I like that this story explains the pros and cons to moving somewhere new.

Moving can be stressful and it also shows us ways to cope with leaving a place and friends you love behind.
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a really cute and popular children's book. It is about the Bear family moving from the mountains to the valley and Brother Bear is worried at first because the cave is all he has ever known. Will he like the new place? I could use this book if a student of mine is about to move away and is a little nervous about it. I could also use this book in Science to talk about different regions and landforms.
Stacey
This book can help students that are moving away and going to attend another school. Most of my placement classrooms has a students that is moving away or no longer going to attend the school. This is a great way to give understanding to other classmates and help ease the anxiety for the student that is moving away. This can be read during a morning meeting and followed by an activity, having students write a farewell card for the classmate that is leaving.
Crystal
Jul 15, 2007 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and parents of kids
Shelves: juvenile
This is a classic Berenstain Bears book. I thorougly enjoyed it. No moral, just life. I WAS a little surprised at the open mention of chopping down all the trees--but then again, this IS a classic (aka old book) and wasn't written during a time of environmental awareness as much. I'm going to hope that their stop polluting book makes up for it. :)
John
Dec 18, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book's lack of dialog is a departure from the rest of the series and threatens to alienate longtime readers who may be afraid they've stumbled upon the equivalent of a cold French art film on paper. But Stan Berenstain's love for his characters shines through in the narration despite the sparseness. The emotional apex of the series.
chucklesthescot
Brother Bear is very used to the cave that his family live in so he is a bit worried when Mama and Papa Bear decide that it is time to leave the mountains and move into the big valley. Brother is sad to say goodbye to his old friends but he can look forward to a big new treehouse and lots of cubs to play with.
Anna
Sep 29, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Read on a marathon BB book day in Austin. Logan chose to read a whole group of them, including this one.

This is an early story in the Bears' family history, when they first moved to Bear Country and Brother was an only child.

They gave up their cave and moved to a tree house. Will Brother like his new surroundings? The cave is all he's ever known. . .

Rachel
Jan 19, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is more of a project book. Goal: In 30 pages or less, tell kids that moving to a new house, town, or neighborhood is going to be alright. The End. I suppose if you just need a jump start for a moving discussion this could get you there, but there's not much of the character or humor that we usually associate with Berenstain Bears here and not much fun either.
Joy
Their stuff is all packed!
Here comes the truck!
Let's move with the Bears
And wish them good luck.

Before Sister was born, the Bears lived in a cave and they moved to the treehouse they live in now. It talks about how you may leave things behind but you'll make new friends and memories at your new house.
Pupilla
Sep 17, 2013 Pupilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, 2013
Most ezzel jól belerondítottam az idei olvasási képbe, meg abba is, hogy nem fogok leporellókat olvasni, de ez olyan aranyosnak tűnt… És az is. Persze álomvilág, hogy egy költözés ilyen egyszerű lenne, de amúgy értelmes, aranyos, és szép képek vannak benne.
Kiskoromban ezután biztos egyfolytában ilyen tree-house-okat rajzoltam, terveztem volna. :)
Celticoracle
Wow. I don't remember this book being quite so boring when I was a kid. Some seriously text-heavy pages in this one, and Mini-Me lost interest before the end. I'm sure we might both appreciate it differently if we were indeed moving.
Chris
Dec 19, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book. It had really good illustrations, great characters and a good storyline. I read this book in a long time. I really enjoyed reading Berenstain Bears books. I'd recommend this book to Berenstain Bears fans.
Grace
Sep 04, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book cause when we move you should be happy cause God is right there with you! And God knows where ever you move and how it will turn out. Trust God and he will tell you in your prays where you should go I life!
Wendy Daniel
May 06, 2014 Wendy Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis-4700
The narrative skills that kids gain as they follow this adorable family of bears through their adventures. Each books covers a different adventure and is easily relative to kids' lives. They are a little long for the extremely young children, but 4 and 5 should be appropriate.
Sally
Loved it! Another favourite - I was fond of so many of these. Read them slightly out of order too, as well as being a huge fan of the TV series, so the books pre-move and pre-Sister Bear were always a bit strange.
Karina Espinales
I used this book to talk about why I was leaving first grade to go to second grade. It was also show them that change is sometimes better. The kids wrote about a time when they had to move away. It is a good book to use to talk about moving to a different place.
Rebekah
We never moved when I was a kid. My parents lived in the same house for 35 years before they sold it last year. This book made moving seem like fun. Well after 5 moves during 9 years of marriage I can tell you Moving is just a lot of work.
Christina
Oct 03, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Berenstain Bears did not always live in there tree house home. They used to live in a cave up in the mountains. The bears decide to move once their home becomes too small for the growing family.

Helps kids understand needing to move to a new home.
Simon Wojtaszek
Aug 01, 2014 Simon Wojtaszek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect book to read the year we moved. It showed the movers at work packing up everything and loading it into their truck, just like we had done, and the best part was seeing the new house and how the bears made it into their perfect home.
Lauren Brown
Sep 02, 2013 Lauren Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
This fun and relatable book is fantastic for children that are moving and are worried about adjusting to their new location. Some of the words are upper-level, requiring peer or teacher help, but it is a good length with plenty of pictures to aid the story.
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower
  • Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia
  • Clifford's Family
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark