The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day

The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day (The Berenstain Bears)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  8,127 ratings  ·  60 reviews
This is the story of the Bear family's move to their now-famous tree house in Bear Country. Would Brother Bear like it? Would he find new friends? He wasn't sure until he got there.

From the Trade Paperback edition....more
Published February 2nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day

Rob
THE POINT: To teach kids that moving from one town to another is OK an that it happens all the time and that there's nothing to be afraid of etc. (It's a little dated in that respect though inasmuch as I've never seen neighborhood families come out of the woodwork to greet someone that just moved in down the block. Or maybe that just more "naïvely quaint" than it is "dated".) As far as children's stories go though, I'm sure this is one that gets the job done.

THE UNFORTUNATE SUB-TEXT: They're mov...more
Kimberly

About the Author

Stan and Jan Berenstain were both born in 1923 in Philadelphia.They didn't know each other as children, but met later at school, at the Philadelphia College of Art.They liked each other right away, and found out that the both enjoyed the same kinds of books, plays, music and art.During World War II,

Wendy Daniel
The narrative skills that kids gain as they follow this adorable family of bears through their adventures. Each books covers a different adventure and is easily relative to kids' lives. They are a little long for the extremely young children, but 4 and 5 should be appropriate.
Simon Wojtaszek
This was the perfect book to read the year we moved. It showed the movers at work packing up everything and loading it into their truck, just like we had done, and the best part was seeing the new house and how the bears made it into their perfect home.
Grace
I liked this book cause when we move you should be happy cause God is right there with you! And God knows where ever you move and how it will turn out. Trust God and he will tell you in your prays where you should go I life!
Chester Richmond
Moving day tells the story that many of your students will be able to relate to and that is when a family is uprooted and moves to a new community. There can be some anxiety associated with moving and worrying about how new people will receive you. In the end of the book it is realized that everything works out and the family is quite comfortable in their new treehouse.

In a classroom this book could be read if a new student moves to your town and is placed in your classroom. It could help the st...more
VampireNovelFan
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

Growing up we did a lot of moving from apartment to apartment, and in college I was used to moving every year. I liked seeing some situations relate to what...more
Steve
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Jon
I love me some Berenstain Bears. Great books for 3-7.
Shelli
Moving day can be an exciting and scary day for a young cub and a young child. This would be a wonderful book to share with a child before they move themselves. It does well explaining how things will be the same in one way, their items will all be going with them. And how it will be different in others, they won't be right next to the same friends and neighbors. After reading about this moving adventure the Berenstain Bear's have it might encourage children to become excited about their own new...more
Stacey
This book can help students that are moving away and going to attend another school. Most of my placement classrooms has a students that is moving away or no longer going to attend the school. This is a great way to give understanding to other classmates and help ease the anxiety for the student that is moving away. This can be read during a morning meeting and followed by an activity, having students write a farewell card for the classmate that is leaving.
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a really cute and popular children's book. It is about the Bear family moving from the mountains to the valley and Brother Bear is worried at first because the cave is all he has ever known. Will he like the new place? I could use this book if a student of mine is about to move away and is a little nervous about it. I could also use this book in Science to talk about different regions and landforms.
Adrienne
One of my favorites of the BB books--not quite sure why, but I've always loved it.
Anna
Read on a marathon BB book day in Austin. Logan chose to read a whole group of them, including this one.

This is an early story in the Bears' family history, when they first moved to Bear Country and Brother was an only child.

They gave up their cave and moved to a tree house. Will Brother like his new surroundings? The cave is all he's ever known. . .

Rachel
This is more of a project book. Goal: In 30 pages or less, tell kids that moving to a new house, town, or neighborhood is going to be alright. The End. I suppose if you just need a jump start for a moving discussion this could get you there, but there's not much of the character or humor that we usually associate with Berenstain Bears here and not much fun either.
Pupilla
Most ezzel jól belerondítottam az idei olvasási képbe, meg abba is, hogy nem fogok leporellókat olvasni, de ez olyan aranyosnak tűnt… És az is. Persze álomvilág, hogy egy költözés ilyen egyszerű lenne, de amúgy értelmes, aranyos, és szép képek vannak benne.
Kiskoromban ezután biztos egyfolytában ilyen tree-house-okat rajzoltam, terveztem volna. :)
Crystal
Jan 01, 2008 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and parents of kids
This is a classic Berenstain Bears book. I thorougly enjoyed it. No moral, just life. I WAS a little surprised at the open mention of chopping down all the trees--but then again, this IS a classic (aka old book) and wasn't written during a time of environmental awareness as much. I'm going to hope that their stop polluting book makes up for it. :)
John
This book's lack of dialog is a departure from the rest of the series and threatens to alienate longtime readers who may be afraid they've stumbled upon the equivalent of a cold French art film on paper. But Stan Berenstain's love for his characters shines through in the narration despite the sparseness. The emotional apex of the series.
chucklesthescot
Brother Bear is very used to the cave that his family live in so he is a bit worried when Mama and Papa Bear decide that it is time to leave the mountains and move into the big valley. Brother is sad to say goodbye to his old friends but he can look forward to a big new treehouse and lots of cubs to play with.
Karina Espinales
I used this book to talk about why I was leaving first grade to go to second grade. It was also show them that change is sometimes better. The kids wrote about a time when they had to move away. It is a good book to use to talk about moving to a different place.
Lauren Brown
This fun and relatable book is fantastic for children that are moving and are worried about adjusting to their new location. Some of the words are upper-level, requiring peer or teacher help, but it is a good length with plenty of pictures to aid the story.
Chris
It was a really good book. It had really good illustrations, great characters and a good storyline. I read this book in a long time. I really enjoyed reading Berenstain Bears books. I'd recommend this book to Berenstain Bears fans.
Sally
Loved it! Another favourite - I was fond of so many of these. Read them slightly out of order too, as well as being a huge fan of the TV series, so the books pre-move and pre-Sister Bear were always a bit strange.
Joy
Their stuff is all packed!
Here comes the truck!
Let's move with the Bears
And wish them good luck.

Before Sister was born, the Bears lived in a cave and they moved to the treehouse they live in now.
David Thompson
This is an excellent book for children to learn that change can be a little scary but good. Children can relate to what brother bear was going through with all his worries and stresses.
Steph
This is great for kids if they are moving.I remember moving but to a different home.I was still in my same town.It shows kids not to be scared and that in the end it is okay.
Madelyn
I liked this book. Brother loved his friends but he had to move away. He was sad that he had to move but at the end he made new friends at his new house. The end!
Sheri
One of my childhood faves and popular with my 4 yr old daughter who loves BBs. As a kid I was fascinated with the before and after pics of the tree house.
Megan Sewell
These books are great for families trying to teach children valuable life lessons, this book helps families prepare kids for what to expect when they move.
Emily
Read them all! I don't remember which one the little girl bear was born in. But that was my favorite! Why doesn't love a baby bear with a bow on her head?!
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV