Start by marking “The Dawn Country: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dawn Country: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #2)

The Dawn Country: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois #2)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The epic tale that began in People of the Longhouse continues in this second book of the thrilling new Iroquois quartet by New York Times and USAToday bestselling authors and archaeologists Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear.

War Chief Koracoo and Deputy Gonda of the Standing Stone People have successfully rescued their children, Odion and Tutelo, from Gannajero the T
Published November 29th 2011 by Tor Books (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dawn Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dawn Country

Sue
This was a thrilling, edge of your seat, can't put it down because you need to see what happens on the next page type of book. If I could give it six stars I would. I'm a big fan of the Gears and their Native American books but the People of the Longhouse series is fantastic. I am excited about the third book in the series which is coming out in Jan. 2012. I may pre-order it so I have it right away. The idea of the series is to give a possible explanation for the beginning of the Iriquois nation ...more
Theresa
This is book two in the ‘People of the Longhouse’ tetralogy. War chief Koracoo and her ex-husband Gonda are still searching for their children and rescuing others along the way.

Of course they find them and take care of the bad people, but it’s an interesting story on how. They pick up several unexpected allies along the way.

But what’s most interesting is how the children work together to help rescue themselves, fighting against their oppression and danger.

The book ends with a bittersweet sc
Lenore Webb
Well this last week I have been going to bed a bit earlier than usual. Especially tired? No, that was not it. But instead while the Grandbabes where laying down to get to sleep, I was curling up to escape. Each evening I could be found joining the North Americas's Forgotten Past series with The Dawn Country. This was a different sort of books for me to read. But I quickly became entrenched by the story.

This series was written by a husband and wife team. W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear
Shannon
The Dawn Country is the follow up to People of the Longhouse and begins immediately following the events that ended book 1. This book portrayed Native Americans in a way I have never read before. More than anything else I could feel the authors’ mastery of their subjects. There is a nonfiction introduction that gives some information about the time frame that the book is set in. I am glad that this was included because I can tell you that I never learned about this in history class.

What screams
Theresa
The Dawn Country: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #2)
Gear, W. Michael
Gear, kathleen O'neal
another dynamic story from the Gear Duo... I have waiwonderful tale of interest built from the remains found in an archeology dig, showing the triumphs and termoil of the native american prehistoryted impatiently to see how the children survive the trials, and terrible violence in their world. The writien draws you into the world of the long house people. because of the movement of story you are
Shawn Spjut
The Dawn Country; Michael & Kathleen O'Neal Gear, 2011; Tom Dougherty Associates LLC.

The Dawn Country (book number two out of four in the People of the Longhouse series) picks up where our not so fine feathered friends, War Chief Karocco, her defunct/ex-husband/Deputy Gonda and their recently acquired enemy-friends Akio, Sindakm, Cord and healer/killer Wakdanek are now on the last desperate leg of their attempt to rescue the rest of the missing children and avenge the death of those that the
Sia McKye
The story opens with war and the capture of many tribes’ children. We follow the tale of two parents determined to rescue their children, War Chief, Koracoo, and her Deputy, Gondo. This especially becomes imperative when they realize just who has their children; Gannajero the trader, aka The Crow, and is witch. Koracoo and Gondo must set aside tribal loyalties and unite with enemies to find and rescue their children. We see the hunt from their point of view and see the hard choices they must mak ...more
Eileen Souza
This is the second book in the People of the Longhouse series, which is a part of the larger "People" series.

This is probably the darkest series of the People books that I've read, which is saying something after the Anasazi Mystery series, which dealt with incest, witches, and cannabalism. The second book in the novel picks up where the first one left off - a witch is buying and selling children from war torn villages to be "used" by warrior and men of ill repute. Several of the children escap
Orchid
The Dawn Country picks up pretty much right where People of the Longhouse left off with Koracoo, Gonda, their two allies, and the some of the children they rescued as they continue to search for the rest of the missing children and hunt down Gannajero.

I loved reading People of the Longhouse so I was really excited to start on The Dawn Country, plus there was so much that was left unfinished after the I finished the first one that I had to know what was going to happen to all the characters.

While
Mike
I have to admit, I'm biased when it comes to the series of books written by the Gears. I've been a longtime reader of their work. What I love about it is how they interweave the factual and our inferential understanding of native peoples into their fictional work. They reveal the complex and highly developed customs, beliefs, and rituals of the various nations as they make their way through critical junctures in time (both geological and developmental periods).

This underlying foundation in the
Mitzy Kinion
Great book.

This book was entertaining to the very end. Fascinating and educational. I love learning about this subject how we are finding out more and more about the past
Mary
This second book in 'The People of the Longhouse' quartet is another winner and is as good as the first one. It starts the same day the other book ends so the story continues without interruption.

The characters and setting are very vivid in these books. Some new characters appear in this book as well as several from the first book who are important to the overall story line.

I am enjoying this quartet and look forward to the next book. These books are an interesting telling of the story of the
Kris
Reading the Gear books is either an acquired taste or an addiction. I like learning about native cultures at different times of history and I also like the stories. Plenty of danger, mysticism, suspense, murder, intrigue....no real sex though. So it is a reading addiction of mine ( ok I admit it) that is one big step above Janet Evanovich which has really no intellectual value at all..But Evanovich does have the sex!
Mark
Note to others: read this asap after People of the Longhouse because both really should combined into one book. I look forward to book 3, The Broken Land, but it sounds not quite like a part 3 in the storyline but a new branch with some of the characters. Regardless, The Dawn Country was as good or better than the first book, People of the Longhouse.
Fredrick Danysh
In the thirteenth century AD, the different groups that would later become the Iroquois are fighting among themselves due to over population and a food shortage. This is the story of two small groups trying to find and rescue their children who where captured and sold to a evil slave trader. Pretty fair historical fiction about Native Americans.
J. Ewbank
What more can one say about the Gear's books. They have delighted us with stories about our country's past. Indians have been changed from our view of them through Westerns and other media to stories that are very real to us with characters that live.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Citrus Libraries Staff Favorites
Love the Gears, together or apart. They are just fantastic story-tellers! I highly recommend every book they have written, but the "People of..." are my favorites! You will learn SO much from them and enjoy every minute of it.

Elisabeth
Kacey
I didn't read the book this follows, But the story draws you in, in a heart wrenching way. This writing duo has put out many wonderful books pertaining to native americans. Wonderful book, and will probably read again.
Farhana Faruq
This is part two of the People in the Longhouse series. (It's so nice reading books in order!!) I loved this as much as the first one, and look forward to reading the next in line :)
The continuing story of the early Iroquois Indians. This is told partly from the children's view point and it is a darker read than what the Gears normally do.
Krista
This book was just as addictive and interesting as the one before it. I loved it! Especially the justice at the end! I will be reading the next book as soon as possible!
Edie
I like these pre-history books but they are definitely not for everyone. This one is a sequel and I would not suggest that you read it before the first.
Doris
Another fabulous exploration into our ancestors' lives. I wait eagerly for part III OF THE PEOPLE. OF THE LONGHOUSE series!
Jared
Great conclusion to the Iroquois story arc. Disturbing and gripping in the best kind of way.
Trista
page turner.evil villains ,wonderful heroes cant wait to the next book jan 2012.
Natalie Barkhouse-bishop
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading the next two that follow.
John
It's a series, and this couple has written a lot of books!
Roxie
What more can I say...these books are awesome
Patricia
Another good book. Love reading their stuff.
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • Thunder in the Sky (The First Americans, #6)
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • Brother Wind
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Manituana
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

Iroquois (4 books)
  • People of the Longhouse (Iroquois, #1) (North America's Forgotten Past, #17)
  • The Broken Land: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #3) (North America's Forgotten Past, #19)
  • People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel (North America's Forgotten Past, #20)
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)