Start by marking “The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting” as Want to Read:
The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting

The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Now featuring new instructions, new illustrations, and new information, The Principles of Knitting—beloved by knitters everywhere and one of the most requested out-of-print books for years—finally gets the revision that fans have been clamoring for!

A treasured guide beloved by knitters everywhere, the classic book The Principles of Knitting is finally a
Published February 14th 2012 by Touchstone (first published January 15th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Principles of Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principles of Knitting

Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddThe Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
Must-have Knitting Books
28th out of 140 books — 134 voters
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPheeYarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Knitting Nonfiction
37th out of 57 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan Bedol
Oct 15, 2012 Jan Bedol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters and especially aspiring knittters
Shelves: how-to
It's no exageration to say this book is a life-changer. As a self-taught left-handed knitter, I struggled for years to translate patterns into 180-degree reversals for lefty knitting. Finally I put down my needles, until now... As a new retiree, I needed to acquire hobbies that can last me the next 20-30 years, and knitting again was high on the list. Hiatt makes a convincing case that lefties can knit the same way as righties, as knitting is fundamentally ambidextrous. She is correct!!! One of ...more
Sara
I think I am the first person to not give this book 5 stars. But this really is a phenomenal book and the research is incredible. I think it covers every single thing that any knitter would ever need to know. However, it is very dry, very encyclopedic! The photography is boring - ok, it gets the job done, but with all the gorgeous yarns out there, couldn't they use color photography? Sadly, if I bought this book, I think I'd probably never go to it for a question, but I'd google whatever I need ...more
Christine
The only problem is it's physical size. I need to sit at a table to read it.
Amanda
A great reference for anything knitting and I am glad to have it in my library. It is not without it's flaws, however. Good Luck trying to find a specific cast-on or bind-off you are familiar with because she has re-named everything. I understand her reason for doing so, wanting to have the name reflect what the stitch consists of instead of "Judy's Magic Cast On." The only downside is that most of the names have the word "hitch" in them which makes it hard to remember or distinguish them. I wou ...more
This is a book designed to show knitters the utmost directions for completing knit and purl stitches. Many ways of getting the stitches done are shown for right and left-handed knitters.
The book is divided into sections and the author suggests the reader read these sections out of order. June Hemmons Hiatt must be assuming the first, most important chapter for the knitter to read is about "making a swatch" for the gauge.

The history of knitting, descriptive yarn section, and a garment design se
Georgina
Holy crap! I couldn't believe my phenomenal good fortune to find a first edition, first printing of this classic work at my local used bookstore. If I was a newbie knitter, this might be an intimidating reference book (hence the 4 out of 5 stars), but as an intermediate knitter this is the book I want when experimenting new cast on/offs and creating original patterns.
Carol Morgan
This is the master reference book in knitting. The first edition soared to hundreds of dollars in value before she finally produced the second edition. The second edition is such a re-work, that many knitters are holding onto their first editions. The combined two books are probably the most complete compendium of technical information in all of knitting that is available - certainly in two books.

Totally dry, filled with Ms. Hemmons-Hiatt's opinions, and utterly devoid of any sort of read-abili
Katharine Holden
Unfortunately, this book doesn't contain the detailed instructions on DPNs I hoped for.
Marilyn
Comprehensive. Great reference, particularly IF you are planning to attempt the "Master Knitter" program from TKGA.
Catherine
Feb 22, 2012 Catherine is currently reading it
Shelves: craft
Just arrived today and I am so excited to dig in. It looks and feels like a textbook, which I love, because I'm enamored with the notion of delving deep into the world of knitting technique. Very impressed by both the new introduction and the original. I can tell I will learn so much from Ms. Hiatt. Looking forward to exploring new methods for the colorwork project I'm currently working on. Hooray! I didn't think it was possible, but Principles of Knitting is living up to my expectations.
Dominique
Informative, great for beginners or advanced
Cayenne
Oct 29, 2012 Cayenne marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
This is so in depth it is going to the "reference book" pile. It's an incredible resource on knitting, but I need to work the techniques as she explains them because I can't picture them in my head or comprehend them very well just reading about them. It's hard to read on my Nook and I wonder if a paper version would have been easier. Having a digital copy is helpful, though, because I can search it so easily.
Kintage
There's always something called the bible of (fill in the blank here). This is the knitting bible.

One of the big bonuses for me is the inclusion of technical explanations for common procedures. I like extra information that might explain why something is done a certain way, or, what happens if you do it differently.

I've also have yet to search for something here that I wasn't able to find.
Rose Ann
Nov 07, 2012 Rose Ann rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: knitting
This book was a disappointment, not really very helpful at all. If you are a beginning knitter, avoid this book, I do not think it would be helpful at all. If you are wanting to improve your skills and seek new challenges, again, find another book. This author may have "written the book" on knitting, but I, an experienced knitter for 27 years, found it dense and unhelpful.
Peggy
Apr 01, 2012 Peggy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Browsing through. I've been waiting a long time for this book to be re-released. She's been working on it for ten years. The original (out-of-print) version was selling on e-bay for over $300. I had taken a "finishing" class from a teacher who used the methods in this book and I've been intrigued with it ever since.
Lindsey
Very technical and detailed with lots of excellent information. Bugging me right now: reading about cast-on techniques, Hiatt has renamed every single one "because different techniques have different names in different areas." Need to go through and write in the names I know for reference's sake.
Joyce

Fantastic! The author gives a pretty thorough run down of many knitting techniques, but what i really appreciate is that she also tells you her opinions. I love opinionated people even though we may not always agree on everything. This is a huge book.
Gregory
Comprehensive!
Karen
Aug 26, 2013 Karen added it
YAY! I finally got a copy of the new edition for myself. I can't wait to dive in and learn new things. (And see how it's different from the first edition, which I was able to check out of my local library before evil people stole every single copy.)
Tisha
This book is beyond comprehensive. However, the technique names and descriptions were a bit antiquated (or maybe just not mainstream?). I prefer TechKnitter's descriptions, but will come here when all else fails.
Anna Piranha
Excellent, clear instructions. Hemmons-Hiatt generally refers to the working needle rather than left/right. I have solved a few knitting problems with this book since its purchase. The indexing is fantastic.
Kimberly Corbett
SOOOO much information. It would also make a good weapon...it's huge! If I ever need to know 85 (estimated) different cast-ons I know where to look.
Jean
This is a great reference book. I go to it everytime I hit a new technique that I need to learn or refresh my memory on how to do it. It hasn't failed me yet.
Kelly
Anything and just about everything you could want to know about knitting is contained in this most excellent reference book. I must own one.
Kathy
Excellent reference for the knitter who is just beginning or an experienced one wanting to learn better techniques.
Liz DeCoster
There is a bananas amount of information in here; way too much to absorb at once. A great reference, though!
Ann Johnson Davis
Five stars is not enough. Very comprehesive book. Written with a definite opinion.
Sam Hartman
This is a most own book for any knitter. This is essentially the textbook for knitting.
lk
May 30, 2013 lk added it
Shelves: knitting
re-read to see if i should get this book; e-book on kobo is $19.99 (as of 05/28/13)
Ravelry Knitters: New edition of Principles of Knitting! 11 78 Aug 04, 2012 06:23PM
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns