Start by marking “Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery” as Want to Read:
Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery

Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery

At 278 pounds, Susan Maria Leach couldn't lie in bed without gasping for air, wasn't able to fit into a restaurant booth, and could barely buckle the belt on an airplane seat. In 2001 she resolved to take back control and underwent gastric bypass surgery--cutting her weight in half and beginning a journey that would change her life forever.

At once an eye-opening memoir, a
Paperback, Revised, 336 pages
Published June 26th 2007 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Before & After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before & After

Erin
Feb 14, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography-memoir
A little too cheery for me - very little discussion of any hardships or difficulties, and it's about 1/3 memoir, 2/3 cookbook. However, the recipes look great and I'll definitely be using some of them.
Sarah Stanfill
Apr 06, 2014 Sarah Stanfill rated it did not like it
Not a fan at all. She comes off as a "look at how awesome I am" person and puts down other individuals who still struggle with weight loss. There is not a single entry (the narrative section of the book is written through journal entries) that shows her struggling with her WLS. It just seems fake--too preachy and too self-congratulatory and self-praising. Yes, she does make the point (relentlessly) that you still have to eat well to lose weight with WLS but she comes off as if she thinks she's ...more
Susan Newill
Nov 30, 2016 Susan Newill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

I loved the connection she made me feel. It was like bffs chatting over coffee. I love her explanation of her products and her recipes, YUM!
M M
Mar 10, 2013 M M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Maria Leach shares in this newly revised version (of the identical book, "Before + After" with the identical cover photo of the New! Sassy! Slimmer! kicked up leg from 2004 Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery) that her business, the now defunct "BariatricEating.com" is touted by top Bariatric Centers nationwide.

Except that it's not, at all. Let me shed a tear.

What you find in the fore-ward, preface and introduction of Before + After is a lot of chest-huffing
Indra
Mar 10, 2013 Indra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess "Before and After" is one of the hallmark books in the weight-loss surgery canon. I really liked the first 100 or so pages, which mostly consisted of her journal and journey to her own before and after, an FAQ-type deal, and some protein-shake recipes for the initial post-operative days. Her journal is chatty, accessible, informative and well-written. She lost me a bit on her recipe recipes, though--however, I should point out that I don't cook *at all* and am far from being a "foodie". ...more
Maureen Ann
Nov 07, 2011 Maureen Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I did not have weight loss surgery but I do love memoirs, and I do struggle with weight issues. I found this book when browsing the library catalog and decided to read it. I am so glad I did. It was fascinating to learn about Leach's experience. There are so many people with conflicting opinions on the best way to lose weight, but ultimately it only matters what the individual is willing and able to do. One thing I really liked was the idea of reducing carbs, especially empty carbs. This was not ...more
Kristen Davis
Jan 11, 2014 Kristen Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nutrition information portion of the book was a quick read, understandable, and helpful for anyone preparing for weight loss surgery, caring for someone during recovery, or providing support after.

The author not only recounts her personal experience side by side with related medical information and recommendations, but provides a multitude of time saving lessons learned. she has explored and experimented with a full range of available nutritional support products and devised some fantastic,
Angela Risner
Mar 10, 2013 Angela Risner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would have found this before my Sleeve surgery, but I am grateful that I found it right afterward. Even though Ms. Leach had the RNY, a lot of the eating requirements are the same. Her recipes have been so helpful!

I also enjoyed the emotional support from the book. When she wrote about some of the things that happened right after surgery, I had the same things and it was nice to know how normal it was.

I bought this for my Kindle first, then I bought it in hard copy to use the recipes. I
Crystal
May 28, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing
LOVED reading her story! Such inspiration and such a great resource. Many of the recipes looked so good that I want to go ahead and try them, even though my surgery's not for another 2 months. My only other complaint would be that there doesn't seem to be very many early stage recipes other than protein shakes. But, maybe that's because that's really all you should be eating at that time.
Lisa Gibson
Jul 18, 2011 Lisa Gibson rated it it was amazing
This is an indispensable guide everyone who's going through weight loss surgery should definitely keep handy. Helpful hints sprinkled throughout and great recipes. A first hand account of what works best for patients both before and after surgery.
Christy
Mar 19, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
Great memoir of someone who has always struggled with weight and her change of eating habits and surgery to lose the weight. Lots of recipes for those of us trying to cut out sugar and carbs, surgery or not.
Sinead
Dec 29, 2015 Sinead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informed writer

This is a must read for anyone considering weight loss surgery as well as their family and close friends as it is a great perspective from " one who has been through it".
Dena
Mar 10, 2013 Dena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to read if you are considering weight loss surgery. It has a ton of healthy recipes in it too. I can't wait to start cooking some of the recipes in this book.
Carmen
A pretty good book – although I think it paints too rosy a picture of WLS. Also, her husband seems like a prick.
Colleen Smith
Mar 26, 2013 Colleen Smith rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. Great practical information, and great recipes shares for life after surgery.
Laura rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2015
Sindy E.
Sindy E. rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Erin Percy
Erin Percy rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Leigh Butler
Leigh Butler rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2008
M M
M M rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2013
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Donica Eaken
Donica Eaken rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
CINDI DONOHO
CINDI DONOHO rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2014
Beauty Transforming
Beauty Transforming rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2013
Brandi Herrington
Brandi Herrington rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014