Start by marking “Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Authentic Manga Characters” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Manga Anatomy Like You've Never Seen It!

You know that manga faces are different from those of regular, American-style comic book characters. But did you know that manga bodies are also different? Well, they are, and Christopher Hart is here, once again, to tell you all about it in his signature accessible style.

This book is loaded with clear step-by-step instructions and i
Published June 21st 2011 by Watson-Guptill (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist

Jannah
NOT for beginning artists. I've been drawing (acceptable) anime-style people for years and would like to think I have somewhat of a 'semi-developed amateur' skill level. This is probably for people after they've taken an art class or two on anatomy and might want to use this as a pose reference book. Maybe.
I found it hard to get into and there are scant step-by-step directions on how to do things like heads and hands - it's more "here's the blueprint, here's the finished product" and might be mo
Dawsonperry
horrible worst book ever
Kate
Decent hybrid of an anatomy and manga drawing book. Showing all the muscles and their movements in the character actions. Mostly focused on the body form and proportions. Though I do wish there had been some more clothing and fabric references in how it drapes on the body (most of it was skin-tight).
Sharingan
One of the best books to spice up your manga creations
Rebekah H.
A nifty reference to have on hand.
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Gray
Gray is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Tyreshiana monson adams
Tyreshiana monson adams marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jeyzabelle Pilon
Jeyzabelle Pilon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Dorothy Mei
Dorothy Mei marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Fábio Graça
Fábio Graça marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Parnian
Parnian marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jomo Armstrong
Jomo Armstrong marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Taila
Taila marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Salman Prince
Salman Prince marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Nana
Nana added it
Jason Claus
Jason Claus marked it as to-read
Br4ng3r
Br4ng3r marked it as to-read
Agir Tanhan
Agir Tanhan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Giuls
Giuls marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • How to Draw Manga Volume 15: Girls' Life Illustration File
  • How To Draw Manga, Volume 28: Couples
  • Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley: 30 Drawing Lessons from the Creator of Akiko
  • The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose
  • The Lore of Love (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • De tuinen van Dorr
  • I Always Look Up the Word 'Egregious'
  • Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda
  • Color Mixing Bible: All You'll Ever Need to Know About Mixing Pigments in Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Gouache, Soft Pastel, Pencil, and Ink
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Spacecraft 2000-2100, A.D.
  • Essential Dali (256 Art Books)
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • Lightland
  • Schaum's Outline of Vector Analysis
  • How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 4: All About Perspective (v. 4)
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary

I started drawing character designs for a small animation studio in San Diego, California, when I was still in High School in Los Angeles. I used to drive 136 miles, each way, on the weekends, when I was 16, just for the opportunity to get paid to draw. Cartooning was a magical experience to me.

I graduated from
More about Christopher Hart...
Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away! Manga Mania Chibi and Furry Characters: How to Draw the Adorable Mini-Characters and Cool Cat-Girls of Manga Manga for the Beginner Chibis: Everything You Need to Start Drawing the Super-Cute Characters of Japanese Comics Manga for the Beginner Kawaii: How to Draw the Supercute Characters of Japanese Comics Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics