Start by marking “Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Authentic Manga Characters” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Manga Anatomy Like You've Never Seen It!

You know that manga faces are different from those of regular, American-style comic book characters. But did you know that manga bodies are also different? Well, they are, and Christopher Hart is here, once again, to tell you all about it in his signature accessible style.

This book is loaded with clear step-by-step instructions and i
Published June 21st 2011 by Watson-Guptill (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist

Jesanna
Nov 11, 2015 Jesanna rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty helpful. Sure if you are a beginner it may be a little difficult to get used to the drawing style, just because there aren't many steps to actually get you drawing, but this book is very nice to refer to while you are drawing/sketching.
Sammy C
Feb 02, 2016 Sammy C rated it it was amazing
loved all the anatomical details and everything. It was super informative in that area and I love how the author pointed out common mistakes and explained how to fix them. definetely one of the more helpful books i've read.
Jannah
Feb 02, 2015 Jannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: drawing-n-crafts
NOT for beginning artists. I've been drawing (acceptable) anime-style people for years and would like to think I have somewhat of a 'semi-developed amateur' skill level. This is probably for people after they've taken an art class or two on anatomy and might want to use this as a pose reference book. Maybe.
I found it hard to get into and there are scant step-by-step directions on how to do things like heads and hands - it's more "here's the blueprint, here's the finished product" and might be mo
Dawsonperry
May 09, 2014 Dawsonperry rated it did not like it
horrible worst book ever
Kate
Jul 13, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Decent hybrid of an anatomy and manga drawing book. Showing all the muscles and their movements in the character actions. Mostly focused on the body form and proportions. Though I do wish there had been some more clothing and fabric references in how it drapes on the body (most of it was skin-tight).
Christina
Feb 07, 2016 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
Loved this. I was so glad I bought it. I find it is a great help to my drawing abilities.
Sharingan
One of the best books to spice up your manga creations
Rebekah H.
Jul 20, 2012 Rebekah H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-design
A nifty reference to have on hand.
Nightic
Nightic rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2016
Blu
Blu added it
Apr 15, 2016
Kamonie Bridgemazn
Kamonie Bridgemazn marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Alec Justice
Alec Justice marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Susan Ungham
Susan Ungham rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Kathrine
Kathrine marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
brandon
brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Vonnie Cao
Vonnie Cao marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Havi
Havi is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2016
Star
Star rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Eke
Eke added it
Feb 01, 2016
Suzuya Juuzou
Suzuya Juuzou marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Zelos
Zelos marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Lf Antrider
Lf Antrider rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
christine shumock
christine shumock rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
May Schneider
May Schneider rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Maulana Ahmad
Maulana Ahmad marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
  • Manga Studio with Mark Crilley: More People, Poses and Perspective
  • How to Draw Manga Volume 15: Girls' Life Illustration File
  • How To Draw Manga, Volume 28: Couples
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Seekers and Saviors (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose
  • De tuinen van Dorr
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • The Art of Faery
  • Essential Dali (256 Art Books)
  • Color Mixing Bible: All You'll Ever Need to Know About Mixing Pigments in Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Gouache, Soft Pastel, Pencil, and Ink
  • La Conjugaison Pour Tous
  • Maya und Domenico: Die krasse Geschichte einer ungewöhnlichen Freundschaft
  • Schaum's Outline of Probability and Statistics
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • I Always Look Up the Word 'Egregious'
  • Lightland

I started drawing character designs for a small animation studio in San Diego, California, when I was still in High School in Los Angeles. I used to drive 136 miles, each way, on the weekends, when I was 16, just for the opportunity to get paid to draw. Cartooning was a magical experience to me.

I graduated from
More about Christopher Hart...